closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tag Heuer "registration"??

Master

Tag Heuer "registration"??

Morning all. Another PITA problem this morning, one of my customers has kicked off about a watch he bought from my shop last year.
    Tag Heuer, about 12 years old, fully serviced (by my independent watchmaker) and 100% correct and authentic. Customer reckons he's had it to a load of shops in Manchester who tell him it's "not been registered". It was sold loose - no paperwork - and he knew that, in fact he used it to haggle a fortune off the price. I'm scratching my head here, I've worked in jewellery for a dozen years and my Mum did 30 years on top of that, watches are hardly ever "registered" at point of sale in shops other than a guarantee card - they are put in a box, exchanged for money and sent to a new home. If you're lucky the paperwork gets stamped and dated (more often than not on expensive watches, hardly ever on cheaper watches) but in this case it's a moot point as it's a loose watch.

The guy is a headache I could do without. Can anyone have a look at a snippet of his e.mail and let me know if I should do anything? Far as I'm concerned I sold him a genuine, perfectly working watch and that's the end of that. We discussed the lack of paperwork at length, I gave a 12 month warranty and I sourced him a brand new Tag box from ebay, he's bought from me before but usually he wants to sell me stuff he's bought elsewhere. This is more money that he usually spends though and personally I think he's after a way out of the sale 6 months after the fact.

Thanks again!

I took it to 4 different jewellers and eventually to Tag Heuer official jewellers in St Anne’s Street, and pretty much got the same response from them all. The watch itself has not been registered with Tag Heuer at all and this was confirmed by the official dealer in Manchester. They told me that regardless of the age of the watch it should have been registered with Tag at the point of purchase, in order to trace it if God forbid one day it got stolen. They tried ever possible way to trace it: serial number, etc, etc. but they couldn’t find it in their system, in other words this watch doesn’t exist.
    I am aware that you sold me the watch without any paperwork or warranty card, which by the way is issued with every branded watch. Regardless of this there should be a record of the history of the watch and it should be traceable, so I am mystified why this particular watch has not been registered with Tag at the point of sale. This basically means that if I decide to sell it one day, I cannot do so.

Master
    He's trying it on Kev.

"Regardless of this there should be a record of the history of the watch and it should be traceable, so I am mystified why this particular watch has not been registered with Tag at the point of sale. This basically means that if I decide to sell it one day, I cannot do so.".

Damn... I am in so much trouble with so many of my watches :(
    Has he asked for some extra discount yet?

That last sentence is confusing, why does he think he can’t sell it? He bought it with his eyes open as to lack of paperwork. If he didn’t ask about it being ‘registered’ and you didn’t claim it had been then he hasn’t got much of a case.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Your not a TAG authorised dealer are you Kev!

He bought a second hand watch from you, you gave him a 12 month warranty and he accepted the watch as sold without papers but with your 12 month warranty.

End of story unless he is claiming the watch is faulty in which case you will repair it under said warranty.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    That last sentence is confusing, why does he think he can’t sell it? He bought it with his eyes open as to lack of paperwork. If he didn’t ask about it being ‘registered’ and you didn’t claim it had been then he hasn’t got much of a case.
    He has tried to part exchange it in Manchester - at first he said he'd tried to book it in for a service but the watch "didn't exist" on anybodies register.

Cheers guys. I try to stay on good terms with everyone I deal with but I'll have to tell this one to take a running jump. He fell out with me because I forgot to order him the replacement box I promised. My fault, but as soon as he complained I jumped on eBay and had one by the end of the week (£50 lighter in the wallet).
    Anyway, ever since then it's been snide e.mails and complaints about nothing much. This one felt like it might have some substance which is why I picked the collective brain of TZ. Obviously someone has told his the watch isn't registered but I'm baffled as to why Tag would say it - I am absolutely positive that LVMH don't keep tabs on every watch sold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Your not a TAG authorised dealer are you Kev!

He bought a second hand watch from you, you gave him a 12 month warranty and he accepted the watch as sold without papers but with your 12 month warranty.

End of story unless he is claiming the watch is faulty in which case you will repair it under said warranty.

Precisely that Ben, I told him I'll have it back faulty or fake, but I know with cast iron certainty that it's perfect on both fronts.
    This is why I stick to diamonds in the shop, watch people are nutters.

I am pretty sure TAG did not register watches 12 years ago (did any firm)?
    I would tell him to do one, he bought a used watch without box or papers, he knew exactly what he was getting.
    I am guessing he needs to sell the watch and he is not getting the offers he wants so he is looking for a way to con you in to taking it back. The guys a chancer

What a chancer.

I would tend to agree.
    If the guy is a PITA, then fire him as a customer.

You were up front about the watch not having supporting paperwork. He took on that aspect when he bought it. You are under no obligation.

You did not sell it knew, ergo, you hid nothing from him when he bought it from you.

Perhaps, ask him politely what he expects you to do. If it is anything reasonable, consider it. If not, caveat emptor, followed by foxtrot oscar.

Blog Entries
    So 12 years ago if I bought a tag heuer in Dubai and they stamped the card from the shop that means it registered (nope)

Also I’m pretty sure a lot of watches are down to the customer to register isn’t it , unless it’s a customer experience and and the sales person sit down with coffee to buy a watch and they do it for you

So if the customer has gone to 4 shops and they obviously consider it genuine why doesn't he register it when he was in the shops

https://www.tagheuer.com/gb/en/ And go to my tag heuer unsure if this apply to older watches but worth a look

Could be great customer service kev registering it for him to shut him up lol

Master
    Think I’d politely tell him to ‘do one’ and don’t deal with him again - as others have said he was probably either trying sell it or trade it maybe at a profit hence why he didn’t come to you initially

Master
    Only benefit to registering a watch is usually an extended warranty. That's long gone.

To find out if the watch was registered would, I'm pretty sure, require writing to Tag and, even then, would they have access to records from 2010?!

I can't see any retailer having access to such info to enable them to know anything about such a registration. So his trade denial claim smells very wrong.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

He is confusing registration with being genuine.

My reply would be along the lines of you bought a genuine TAG Heuer from me and all the shops you visited have confirmed the same.

The watch may not have been registered with TAG Heuer 12 years ago when it was sold but this can often happen.

If you just want to find out more about your watch then if you write to TH giving them the SN I am sure they would supply some more information.

If having it on the TH Database is important to you then I would suggest you send it to TH for a service and when they have conducted the service it will be on the TH register in your name.

Good luck and I think you are right he is looking for an excuse to return it or as you say, if it is higher value than normal for him, he could just be nervous ?

Tell him to send it to tag heuer for a full service, that way he'll get the warranty card he so desires for the next year. Plus it will be registered with them.

In all seriousness, tell him to do one.

Edit: MB2 beat me to it.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Unless this guy is utterly confused and given the complete wrong info from AD's staff (cause it happens) as these guys now have to register the serial number to TH site for warranty purposes.

This is done only to trace the purchase date and place if the warranty card is lost. I know this as I brought a TH01 new from and AD last year but he's obviously either blending a mix of current procedures they do now and complaining it wasn't done back then (as it didn't exist) along with the AD staff gasing the situation up and coming out with complete nonsense story to get a refund.....utter twat

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

I suspect the database the AD can access is different to the one TH can - ie watches registered only. The fact they can’t find it doesn’t mean it’s not on the TH system. An email to TH would surely resolve this. And has been said, plenty of folks here haven’t registered a new watch. And I spoke to AMJ yesterday about a preowned, as the warranty card hasn’t been dated. It happens.

There is a whole new component of dealing with people illustrated in this example. ‘I was happy to spend hours of your time haggling over the minutiae, happy to agree a ‘deal’ and make the purchase, then elected to check with the widest range of other ‘expert’ people after the fact and now I’m unhappy and want to draw you into the journey of plumbing the depths of my inconsistent and entitled psyche until you snap and become as unhappy as I am.’

Offer to buy it back off him at a 1/4 of the price, express your concerns that it isn't registered and you're taking a risk

Master
    HI Kev,

he's trying it on. IF when new it was sold through an AD it would have been supplied with a stamped warranty card and a registration form to register the warranty, it was completely up to the buyer to register that warranty or not and there is no requirement from TH to do so. Being on the TH database is only proof the warranty was registered, a high percentage of TH watches are sold grey with blank warranty cards which cant be registered so not being on the TH database doesn't mean anything.
    thanks Lloyd
    Last edited by dl_griff; 10th March 2022 at 13:39.

Craftsman
    Tell him to do one, unless its the off chance it's a Carrera reissue at a decent price in which case buy it back and sell it to me!

How on earth would 4 different jewellers know if the watch is registered with Tag or not? Obviously the AD would be able to find out, but he's saying that he "pretty much got the same response from them all".

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Its a 12 year old loose tag and he's an idiot.