closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster Reduced

Speedmaster Reduced

I am thinking of picking one of these up, my watchmaker says they are no harder to service than any other chronograph but I am interested if there is any experience.

Supply seems quite tight but there is a couple on C24 etc, are these in demand in the used market?

Any pictures very welcome.

Master
    I used to own this one. I prefer them on leather, the bracelet has polished centre links. Nice and thin for an automatic chrono.

I can't get enough of the reduced Speedmaster. Perfect proportions. Had a few of the black dial ones but now have this stunning white checkered dial Schumacher Racing dial one. I think the steel bezel really sets this one off.

Craftsman
    They're nice watches but I think the bracelet lets the Reduced down a little bit - slightly rattly and a hair puller on the ones I've tried.

I've always read/heard they're slightly more expensive to service due to the movement effectively being 2 modules piggy-backed - hence the pushers & crown being out of alignment. Not sure if spare parts were becoming an issue when I was looking.

Journeyman
    I've got one that had an issue that couldn't be resolved by an independent. In the end it went to Omega to be resolved and hasn't missed a beat since. Omega swap out the chrono module for a new/reconditioned one as its quicker and easier than servicing it (and they've got a plentiful parts bin). They do this as a standard part of their service hence why it's a bit more expensive to get it serviced at Omega. I'm told some dodgy watchmakers will say they've serviced the watch but not touch the chrono module as it's fiddly and parts are hard to get. It's a great watch and I'm told they're well engineered, you just need to find someone who really knows what they're doing and has access to parts if there's an issue.

Master
    Im sure Walkerwek on here commented positively about them, and I believe he knows a thing or two about Omegas both inside and out.

Blog Entries
    New model introduced - so may get a deal on an “older” one?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Grand Master
    I’ve serviced a few and I own a 3510.50. I prefer this size, its plenty big enough for me.

The chrono module can easily be separated from the base movement which is basically an ETA 2892. Stripping down the chrono module is straightforward but parts availability is virtually zero unless you’re an accredited Omega repairer with a parts account. The ones I’ve worked on didn’t need anything replacing but there’s always the risk (albeit slim) of a part getting lost during cleaning. There’s an extremely tiny jewelled bush that’s easy to lose, I was warned about this so knew to be v. careful when stripping the first one.

Reassembly of the module is straightforward if a little fiddly, and mating the module back with the base movement needs care, but its not too daunting.

ETA make a similar chrono module with a date function, TAG use that in some models, and I’m reliably informed that it can’t be reassembled without a special jig which costs a few hundred pounds. I considered buying the tool but dismissed the idea, the restrictions on parts availability discourage me from expanding my capabilities at this stage in the game.

If this type of watch is running badly its a fair bet that servicing the base movement will produce a big improvement and the watch will run to an acceptable level. However, the lubrication in the chrono module will deteriorate over time and this will knock the amplitude down somewhat, even if the chrono funtion isn’t running. A good 2892 should give over 290-300 degrees amplitude, if this drops significantly after mating back to the chrono the module really should be stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. Its clear to see how the less scrupulous repairer can charge the going rate for a full chronograph service without stripping the module and taking the hands and dial off............that’s v. naughty!

I’ve had an eye out for a 3510.20 for a while. I’ve never seen one in person but I imagine that any concerns about the case size would be offset by the white dial.

Trouble is the going rate for them seems to be about £3k which is a bit much IMO

I've not handled one myself, but a few people I know who owned one said the proportions looked a little off to them in the flesh.

See one in the flesh before you buy, and make sure you are happy. They tend to have fairly loyal owners because the people who like them, really like them!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I’ve serviced a few and I own a 3510.50. I prefer this size, its plenty big enough for me.

The chrono module can easily be separated from the base movement which is basically an ETA 2892. Stripping down the chrono module is straightforward but parts availability is virtually zero unless you’re an accredited Omega repairer with a parts account. The ones I’ve worked on didn’t need anything replacing but there’s always the risk (albeit slim) of a part getting lost during cleaning. There’s an extremely tiny jewelled bush that’s easy to lose, I was warned about this so knew to be v. careful when stripping the first one.

Reassembly of the module is straightforward if a little fiddly, and mating the module back with the base movement needs care, but its not too daunting.

ETA make a similar chrono module with a date function, TAG use that in some models, and I’m reliably informed that it can’t be reassembled without a special jig which costs a few hundred pounds. I considered buying the tool but dismissed the idea, the restrictions on parts availability discourage me from expanding my capabilities at this stage in the game.

If this type of watch is running badly its a fair bet that servicing the base movement will produce a big improvement and the watch will run to an acceptable level. However, the lubrication in the chrono module will deteriorate over time and this will knock the amplitude down somewhat, even if the chrono funtion isn’t running. A good 2892 should give over 290-300 degrees amplitude, if this drops significantly after mating back to the chrono the module really should be stripped, cleaned and rebuilt. Its clear to see how the less scrupulous repairer can charge the going rate for a full chronograph service without stripping the module and taking the hands and dial off............that’s v. naughty!
    Cheers for the detail, that was an interesting read. It’s nice to see that what I was told was correct and I wasn’t given a duff steer!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’ve had an eye out for a 3510.20 for a while. I’ve never seen one in person but I imagine that any concerns about the case size would be offset by the white dial.

Trouble is the going rate for them seems to be about £3k which is a bit much IMO
    They must have moved. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years ago [Edit - 3 years] but I wasn't overwhelmed with offers (at around £1,200 if memory serves) when I sold mine which had just had an Omega service.

Good looking watch and size was right for me but I do have a small wrist.
    Last edited by David_D; 9th March 2022 at 19:36.

Very happy with mine >>

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    They must have moved. Can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years ago [Edit - 3 years] but I wasn't overwhelmed with offers (at around £1,200 if memory serves) when I sold mine which had just had an Omega service.

Good looking watch and size was right for me but I do have a small wrist.
    Heartbreaking!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    Heartbreaking!
    Worse things happen at sea! Just very surprised that it’s almost done a Rolex level of increase (in % terms!). There was certainly very little interest even at the then modest price. I don’t really follow Omega prices so had no idea.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AP1 View Post
    Cheers for the detail, that was an interesting read. It’s nice to see that what I was told was correct and I wasn’t given a duff steer!
    I was fortunate enough to have Paul service my speedy reduced and he did a fantastic job - sat on my wrist as I type running +2 spd. He knows his Omegas!

Master
    Blog Entries

Speedmaster Reduced

Great sized watch. I have the black check dial racing version and it’s a great looker.
    Last edited by Middo; 11th March 2022 at 13:25.