closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New frying pan - one for the cooks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

New frying pan - one for the cooks

Did some pancakes yesterday and found my (very cheap)frying pan woefully inadequate. Heat transfer is poor and its quite warped, doesn’t sit flat on the hob.

A new one is on the card and after a quick search the choice is bewildering, so with a budget of around £50 what would the resident keen cooks recommend.

Will be used on a gas hob for mainly stir fry, fish and meat. Non stick would be my preference.

Are these any good, seems to fit the bill but maybe a load of crap.

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/n...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

It's not very big? I think you need double the size personally. Looks like a quality pan, though.

For what it's worth, I do all the cooking in my house and bought a Sainsbury's Home 40cm frying pan last year and it's been brilliant. It's quite high-sided so doubles as a mini wok. Used all the time and no flaking so far.

Master
    Can't commend Cristel enough, upgraded all of our pans and they're bombproof. Being a buffoon, I managed to leave an egg boiling dry for 5 hours recently and the saucepan wiped clean. The frying pans are just as good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cristel-CR3...214688&sr=8-12

https://www.costco.co.uk/Home-Kitche...e-Set/p/365354

I bought the same make as this from Costco been great, they did it on special as the big one on its own but that maybe an in store only offer. Had lots of frying pans and this has beaten all we have had before

Journeyman
    The only non-stick pan I've ever used that's still been useable a couple of years on is my Green Pan. It's ceramic, sturdy, scratch-proof and can go in the oven too. I've not come across the Ninja brand before but they seem to tick lots of the same boxes.

You might also consider a carbon steel pan and season it yourself to build up your own non-stick layer.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    26cm is big enough for me, its just the 2 of us. Reviews seem to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    It's not very big? I think you need double the size personally. Looks like a quality pan, though.

For what it's worth, I do all the cooking in my house and bought a Sainsbury's Home 40cm frying pan last year and it's been brilliant. It's quite high-sided so doubles as a mini wok. Used all the time and no flaking so far.
    Cheers,

Ben

Honestly, any mid-range anodised aluminium £20 non stick is going to be acceptable for the purposes outlined, absolutely no need to spend anywhere near £50. From my experience you ideally want a beater pan for searing/frying and a good pan for when properly nonstick actually matters (pancakes, scrambled eggs etc.) especially because most people cooking stir fry/searing meats are doing so above the temperature threshold of the pan, which is why you see degradation and warping. Even my good nonstick pans are dead after 5 years of careful use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    Honestly, any mid-range anodised aluminium £20 non stick is going to be acceptable for the purposes outlined, absolutely no need to spend anywhere near £50. From my experience you ideally want a beater pan for searing/frying and a good pan for when properly nonstick actually matters (pancakes, scrambled eggs etc.) especially because most people cooking stir fry/searing meats are doing so above the temperature threshold of the pan, which is why you see degradation and warping. Even my good nonstick pans are dead after 5 years of careful use.
    Yeah, buy a £15-£20 pan, and view it as having a limited life span / disosable.

£50 on a frying pan?!

I've just bought 4 Tefal "stone strength" pans from Tesco...frying pans and a wok. Had them for around £20 (for the wok and less for the other pans) reduced from £30+.

'Reinforced with Titanium' and 2 year warranty. As good as the more expensive pans we've owned.

Mrs JiaB left one on a gas ring, dry, for 30mins, no warping and no signs of damage to cooking surfaces...if they can withstand her abuse, they'll last a while!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thats an interesting out look. I probably only use a pan once a week, if that so not going to get a lot of use.

Maybe I should just pick one up when do my weekly Sainsburys shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromdal View Post
    Cheers,

Ben

I have a bunch of Tefal ones and dont have a single bad word to say about them.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Given that the non-stick ewventually does stick over time, I've given up buyng expensive non-stick pans.

I have a tri-ply stainless pan for most things (searing etc), but for pancakes etc where you do need non-stick I just use the IKEA 365+ non stick pan at £15 and renew it when necessary.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-36...ting-30484690/

As above I looked at getting a fancy frying pan a few months back, decided a £100+ Le Creuset was a waste and ended up with a Tefal hard titanium pan for under £20, use it most days and it does the job just fine, its flat, very good non stick and gets hot, what more do you need!

My in-laws have a full Le Creuset setup and it cost them thousands, apart from the showing off factor I don't get it. They did buy me a wok a few years back at a crazy £250 and a casserole pot for £150, but never use the wok as its very heavy and the wife isn't interested in lugging it about, made a stir fry last night and just used the Tefal, we do use the casserole dish to make soups every now and then but it gets very little use.

Master
    Circulon

Buy once, cry once

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post

Maybe I should just pick one up when do my weekly Sainsburys shop.
    Cheap as chips and works like a charm

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    As above I looked at getting a fancy frying pan a few months back, decided a £100+ Le Creuset was a waste and ended up with a Tefal hard titanium pan for under £20, use it most days and it does the job just fine, its flat, very good non stick and gets hot, what more do you need!

My in-laws have a full Le Creuset setup and it cost them thousands, apart from the showing off factor I don't get it. They did buy me a wok a few years back at a crazy £250 and a casserole pot for £150, but never use the wok as its very heavy and the wife isn't interested in lugging it about, made a stir fry last night and just used the Tefal, we do use the casserole dish to make soups every now and then but it gets very little use.
    We bought a Le Creuset 30cm pan about five years ago, it may be expensive but it is bomb proof, it gets used regularly and still looks the same as when it came out of the box,

Craftsman
    Samuel Groves. I paid £13 for 20cm non-stick. Very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scepticalist View Post
    Given that the non-stick ewventually does stick over time, I've given up buyng expensive non-stick pans.

I have a tri-ply stainless pan for most things (searing etc), but for pancakes etc where you do need non-stick I just use the IKEA 365+ non stick pan at £15 and renew it when necessary.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/ikea-36...ting-30484690/
    We do the same, currently have 3 different sized IKEA pans on the go. they do a great job and happily stand up to the abuse we gie them cooking everything from stir fry, seared steaks, curries down to scrambled eggs, crepes and pancakes.

From your nearest catering supplier, Asian grocer or probably even Amazon… just get yourself some plain black steel pans in the sizes you need, season and maintain them properly and you’ll never need to buy another pan.

Gas hob, you say? Seasoned carbon steel all the way.

Master
    Pro Cook. Excellent range and the professionals use them (real ones, not TV chefs!).

Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    The only non-stick pan I've ever used that's still been useable a couple of years on is my Green Pan. It's ceramic, sturdy, scratch-proof and can go in the oven too. I've not come across the Ninja brand before but they seem to tick lots of the same boxes.

Oddly enough came I was going to suggest Green Pan as well... I bought a 28cm shallow one from amazon a year or so ago for pancakes and it's still going strong... Only about £30 too.

The real advantage with the Le Creuset ones is that you get a full upper body workout every time you cook with them. We've still got a large Le Creuset frying pan and it's a two-hand job once full!
    Last edited by Meesterbond; 2nd March 2022 at 22:43.

Circulon for me, lifetime guarantee, bought 15 years ago, used daily, and still look as new. Not pretty, but robust and great service. Might not suit you if you're one of those trendy types who needs the latest fads to impress your friends. I'd also say buy for the long-term, help save the planet.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Job done, Half price in Sainsburys. £13 well spent and saved a few quid on what I thought I was going to spend.

Cheers,

Ben

Best one I've had is my current one, Copper Stone from JML.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    Oddly enough came I was going to suggest Green Pan as well... I bought a 28cm shallow one from amazon a year or so ago for pancakes and it's still going strong... Only about £30 too.

The real advantage with the Le Creuset ones is that you get a full upper body workout every time you cook with them. We've still got a large Le Creuset frying pan and it's a two-hand job once full!
    Tossing pancakes on a cast iron skillet can really sort the men from the boys too.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    Tossing pancakes on a cast iron skillet can really sort the men from the boys too.
    I wouldn't want my better half cooking with cast iron on the glass induction hob... recipe for disaster😶

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Gas hob, you say? Seasoned carbon steel all the way.
    I bought a De Buyer Mineral B a while ago, Seasoned properly it is amazing, best pan I have owned

i use a tefal non stick flat bottomed wok for everything - no need to specifically have a frying pan these days

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-G2591...ps%2C63&sr=8-5

Master
    Circulon or Stellar’s Rocktanium range.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rico View Post
    Circulon or Stellar’s Rocktanium range.
    I’ve had a set of Stellar pans for 27+ years and use them daily.

Master
    The best frying we got is the one we bought about a month ago, a British made carbon steel one that is reputed to last a lifetime.

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk

They come ready seasoned.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Did some pancakes yesterday and found my (very cheap)frying pan woefully inadequate. Heat transfer is poor and its quite warped, doesn’t sit flat on the hob.

A new one is on the card and after a quick search the choice is bewildering, so with a budget of around £50 what would the resident keen cooks recommend.

Will be used on a gas hob for mainly stir fry, fish and meat. Non stick would be my preference.

Are these any good, seems to fit the bill but maybe a load of crap.

https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/n...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    We’ve bought them and they are excellent. The secret is not to use in a dish washer.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The best frying we got is the one we bought about a month ago, a British made carbon steel one that is reputed to last a lifetime.

You’re old though.

We were in Procook yesterday, they currently have a lot of frying pans half price

TK Max is the best place to get pans. They get all the high end overstocks and the pricing is mad.
    Reasonable for most kitchen stuff but second to none for pans.

Master
    Lakeland pancake pan for pancakes.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Albellisimo View Post
    TK Max is the best place to get pans. They get all the high end overstocks and the pricing is mad.
    Reasonable for most kitchen stuff but second to none for pans.
    Had some copper bottom pans from there 18 years ago and still going strong.

Had a ninja food processor and it broke within weeks and had a very long conversation with their customer service to extract a replacement let alone a refund.

How's your pan doing? I wanted a carbon steel spun wok and Netherton Foundry has very good reviews, I ended up buying a 14" frying pan too, both arriving today.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I wouldn't want my better half cooking with cast iron on the glass induction hob... recipe for disaster
    Spot on Rod!

Better half bought me a hexclad pan. Silly expensive but does seem very good so far.

Master
    Again, use what the decent chefs use and that is a carbon steel pan that builds up a natural non stick surface and is very light. You buy it and use it for life and pass it onto your kids.

Take a look at Netherington iron, comes ready seasoned and made in Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5jJWHFNz0

Don't even think of buying a frying pan from a supermarket, it's all cheap tat.

Again, use what the decent chefs use and that is a carbon steel pan that builds up a natural non stick surface and is very light. You buy it and use it for life and pass it onto your kids.

Take a look at Netherington iron, comes ready seasoned and made in Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH5jJWHFNz0

Don't even think of buying a frying pan from a supermarket, it's all cheap tat.
    Didn't expect to watch a 12 Mon video of pans today but thank you, that was a decent way to spend the time drinking my morning coffee.

They seem like decent people.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Didn't expect to watch a 12 Mon video of pans today but thank you, that was a decent way to spend the time drinking my morning coffee.

They seem like decent people.
    Nor did I, but enjoyable to watch and I quite fancy getting one.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

The best frying we got is the one we bought about a month ago...
    How can it be the best one you got, you hardly know it after a month !!!

My Netherton pans arrived this afternoon (watched from my living room window as DPD delivered them straight to my neighbour because I apparently wasn't in) and look superb, I really am looking forward to starting cooking with them.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    My Netherton pans arrived this afternoon (watched from my living room window as DPD delivered them straight to my neighbour because I apparently wasn't in) and look superb, I really am looking forward to starting cooking with them.
    I'm sure not realising you weren't in, and thinking you were in when you weren't, is one of the signs of forgetful old man syndrome - might be worth a trip to the GP? I hope your wife enjoys the new pans !

Flat top griddle for the stove. Do you make one pancake?

I have a griddle from my mother about 12 x 12" and sits on a single large burner. Good for 4 pancakes or 4 slices of bread for french toast

here's a two burner, but I'm guessing already bought based on date

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    How can it be the best one you got, you hardly know it after a month !!!
    I said I bought it a month ago in March of this year, so it was 10 months ago.