closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: GINAULT SILENT SERVICE

Craftsman

GINAULT SILENT SERVICE

Infamous for their Submariner knockoffs. This is their latest offering (strange name), which I have to say for me, looks really nice, kind of a cross between a submariner and a planet ocean. I particularly like the no date version with the 12 click bi-directional bezel. Priced at just over $1000 for pre-order and I've put a deposit down on one, partly because because people rave about the quality.
    Specs are:
    41mm mid-case.
    20mm lug to lug.
    47mm long.
    12.1mm thick.
    Sapphire bezel insert, lumed.
    hands/indices Smurf lume.
    SW200-1 Elabore grade movement. Regulated in 5 positions for 6 weeks in-house.

Master
    I'm not sure what to make of the design but it certainly doesn't look like a Sub anymore, well, for the most part. Where did you find the technical information for the different models? There appears to be three options.

Looks nice. Whatever one might say about Ginault, you will not get a better quality watch for $1000.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of the design but it certainly doesn't look like a Sub anymore, well, for the most part. Where did you find the technical information for the different models? There appears to be three options.
    https://ginault.com/shop/page/2/

+ email response from the company.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBANNENAGY View Post
    https://ginault.com/shop/page/2/

+ email response from the company.
    Thanks.

...This is their latest offering (strange name)...
    Not really. Submarines & submariners are often referred to as the 'Silent Service'.

______

​Jim.

That is a very handsome watch, even if it looks like the result of an extramarital union of a Submariner and an SM300.
    Too much writing on the dial is my only quibble.
    Kinetic Continuous?
    Submersible Maritime
    Precision Chronometer.

It would seem to be a random collection of 3/4 syllable watch related terms.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looks nice. Whatever one might say about Ginault, you will not get a better quality watch for $1000.
    Agreed.

Having had an OR1, I now have the OR2 with blue ceramic bezel. The quality, in every single aspect, is absolutely exceptional at the price point and the feel of the (new to the OR2, ball bearing based) bezel is close to R***x-esque. Both mine have been within COSC, the current one running pretty constantly at +1.5spd. My only, minor complaint is that the power reserve on the Sellita / ETA movements is 42hrs, which these days I feel doesn't really cut the mustard. Would love to see them use a MLJP-G100 though whether that's practical or not I have no idea.

It is a great looking watch, with design cues from at least 2 different watches.

A line of red text is always popular.

Master
    Infamous for their Submariner knockoffs. This is their latest offering (strange name), which I have to say for me, looks really nice, kind of a cross between a submariner and a planet ocean. I particularly like the no date version with the 12 click bi-directional bezel. Priced at just over $1000 for pre-order and I've put a deposit down on one, partly because because people rave about the quality.
    Specs are:
    41mm mid-case.
    20mm lug to lug.
    47mm long.
    12.1mm thick.
    Sapphire bezel insert, lumed.
    hands/indices Smurf lume.
    SW200-1 Elabore grade movement. Regulated in 5 positions for 6 weeks in-house.
    That must be 120 click, right??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    That must be 120 click, right??
    The dive bezel version is 120 click unidirectional, the 12 hour bezel 12 click bidirectional. The machined edge on the two bezels is different too.

They always seem fantastic quality and I've been offered a couple over the years but the ludicrous lines of text, especially 'Kinetic Continuous' stopped me buying each time.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    They always seem fantastic quality and I've been offered a couple over the years but the ludicrous lines of text, especially 'Kinetic Continuous' stopped me buying each time.
    Rolex enjoy writing essays on the dial too. :) I have always liked the look of them and they do attract favourable comments. For me, I simply cannot abide a red seconds hand. Red on the dial doesn't set me off, but the seconds hand does.

The difference is that the Rolex use appropriate words that don't grate on me.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Rolex enjoy writing essays on the dial too. :) I have always liked the look of them and they do attract favourable comments. For me, I simply cannot abide a red seconds hand. Red on the dial doesn't set me off, but the seconds hand does.

Craftsman
    Nice to see them stepping away from the homage designs and the 12hr bezel version really appeals. As above though lose the text. It looks awful on the modern subs and looks awful here too.

Master
    The difference is that the Rolex use appropriate words that don't grate on me.
    Me neither, but strip away the pomposity of 'Superlative Chronometer' and you're left with 'Really Good Watch' ;)

Master
    These are all matte dials as well.

So, if my memory serves me right, Ginault made a splash in making excellent submariner Homages a few years ago.

Then they were accused of previously making replicas (based on digital fingerprints on their product photos matching those of replica adverts) and they went a bit quiet for a while.

Now they’re making original designs. I’m sure these are indeed GVfM, but I’m not sure how I feel about supporting their business given previous (alleged) shady practices.

Besides that, I don’t love the design.

You could be describing Steinhart also. I don't have an issue with brands doing a mix of homages and original designs, just like Eddie does.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    So, if my memory serves me right, Ginault made a splash in making excellent submariner Homages a few years ago.

Then they were accused of previously making replicas (based on digital fingerprints on their product photos matching those of replica adverts) and they went a bit quiet for a while.

Now they’re making original designs. I’m sure these are indeed GVfM, but I’m not sure how I feel about supporting their business given previous (alleged) shady practices.

Besides that, I don’t love the design.

I imagine a lot of micro brand cases are manufactured in factories in China that have or are still building cases for replicas/fakes. I am amused by people getting bent out of shape over this. If it is that bothersome they should stay away from all micro brands or Chinese goods as one is never sure under what conditions and by whom these goods are manufactured. Obviously some big conscientious companies have manufacturing facilities where some basic standards are followed but not the micro brands.

You could be describing Steinhart also. I don't have an issue with brands doing a mix of homages and original designs, just like Eddie does.
    No, me neither. I do take issue with replicas/fakes/knock-offs though. I’m not sure if you misunderstood my post but I’m not aware of Steinhart or Smiths selling watches branded as Rolex.

I imagine a lot of micro brand cases are manufactured in factories in China that have or are still building cases for replicas/fakes. I am amused by people getting bent out of shape over this. If it is that bothersome they should stay away from all micro brands or Chinese goods as one is never sure under what conditions and by whom these goods are manufactured. Obviously some big conscientious companies have manufacturing facilities where some basic standards are followed but not the micro brands.
    Apologies, I’m not trying to start a conflict on the forum but the issue isn’t whether their parts come from a manufacturer who might also make parts for fakes. Rather that Ginault were (allegedly) assembling those fakes themselves and selling them themselves, which is a much more direct form of participation in an illegal activity.

I know there’s discussion in other parts of the forum about this subject which is getting quite heated and I have no intention of getting stuck into that but from what I’ve read, my opinion was that there was some pretty damning evidence of who Ginault used to be.

Sorry I didn't get that from your post. Now I get you

No, me neither. I do take issue with replicas/fakes/knock-offs though. I’m not sure if you misunderstood my post but I’m not aware of Steinhart or Smiths selling watches branded as Rolex.

Apologies, I’m not trying to start a conflict on the forum but the issue isn’t whether their parts come from a manufacturer who might also make parts for fakes. Rather that Ginault were (allegedly) assembling those fakes themselves and selling them themselves, which is a much more direct form of participation in an illegal activity.

I know there’s discussion in other parts of the forum about this subject which is getting quite heated and I have no intention of getting stuck into that but from what I’ve read, my opinion was that there was some pretty damning evidence of who Ginault used to be.
    I get you but what I was saying was at this level lines are so blurred that it is hard to draw a line in sand that this is ok and this is not. What you are saying is that Ginault manufactured and sold fakes. What about a case made by the same factory that manufactures fakes? These are contentious issues and there will always be differing views.
    But I do get your point and is a legitimate view to hold.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 20th February 2022 at 14:53.

I get you but what I was saying was at this level lines are so blurred that it is hard to draw a line in sand that this is ok and this is not. What you are saying is that Ginault manufactured and sold fakes. What about a case made by the same factory that manufactures fakes? These are contentious issues and there will always be differing views.
    But I do get your point and is a legitimate view to hold.
    Fair enough, I do understand the point you’re making. It’s a bit like how Seagull supposedly sell movements to third parties to put them in fake seagulls: the lines are hard to define sometimes. Though I still stand by the line I have personally drawn, which I recognise may be little more than my opinion.

Craftsman
    Worth watching this video to get some idea of the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14CfLcTkCnQ

Master
    Worth watching this video to get some idea of the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14CfLcTkCnQ
    Quality is good as usual and thankfully it is less like a Sub but, the matte dial is a negative for me but overall, for the money. quality watch.

I'm going to finally come clean and say I owned the Ocean Rover ÏÏ for 16 months and took it snorkeling and swimming on a regular basis, and it was faultless! However, I just couldn't get beyond the similarity to a Sub and it started to grate on me, so much so I sold it last month. Would I get another? Probably not, as it just doesn't have any of it's own identity and to me, that is key to a watch I have come to realise, irrespective of price and quality.
    Last edited by stix; 25th March 2022 at 03:09.