closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporting dash cam speeding footage

Journeyman

Reporting dash cam speeding footage

Has anyone submitted dash cam footage to the police for speeding offences? I did this the first time today which seemed a simple process… wonder if I will get any feedback.

Particularly odd in my case was I reported my own car!! Seems my local dealership wanted to have a blast around the roads rather than investigating a brake issue… cam footage showed 68 in a 30!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hah, classic! I hope they get their just deserts. P.S. Did they fix your brake problem?

Journeyman
    Nah still not fixed… a whole other story there but I’m taking it to another dealership who hopefully take a bit more care

Whenever I leave my car at a dealership or garage, they take mine off its mount.
    Probably for the reason you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Whenever I leave my car at a dealership or garage, they take mine off its mount.
    Probably for the reason you said.
    Same for me too, find it in the glove box

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeeboy View Post
    Has anyone submitted dash cam footage to the police for speeding offences? I did this the first time today which seemed a simple process… wonder if I will get any feedback.

Particularly odd in my case was I reported my own car!! Seems my local dealership wanted to have a blast around the roads rather than investigating a brake issue… cam footage showed 68 in a 30!!

Have the dealership explained why they decided to imitate Ferris Bueller’s Day Off with your car yet?

OP is your dash cam a calibrated device?

Master
    We had one customer who insisted that the camera remain on at all times we had the car at the garage, who then came back later to complain about the mechanics (very poor) singing and some ‘fruity’ language often heard around the workshop on tape.

Mine are always taken off by the MOT tester, but I thought maybe it was a impeding visibility thing rather than a anti surveillance thing.

Master
    GDPR is the official reason they remove or turn them off and it's absolutely nothing to do with the fear of recording dodgy practice in the workshop or incriminating evidence when they take your car for a joyride test drive, no siree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynam0humm View Post
    GDPR is the official reason they remove or turn them off and it's absolutely nothing to do with the fear of recording dodgy practice in the workshop or incriminating evidence when they take your car for a joyride test drive, no siree.
    GPDR???? What do they think you are going to steal the trade secrets of the mechanic changing a bulb?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    We had one customer who insisted that the camera remain on at all times we had the car at the garage, who then came back later to complain about the mechanics (very poor) singing and some ‘fruity’ language often heard around the workshop on tape.
    Would it be OK for the customer just to hide in the boot while the work is done?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    OP is your dash cam a calibrated device?
    Not sure what you mean here… one would imagine the BlackVue cam is calibrated out if the factory..

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Have the dealership explained why they decided to imitate Ferris Bueller’s Day Off with your car yet?
    Had a very interesting call with them on Monday, full of apologies and seem to be taking it really seriously, which is good..

Not sure what you mean here… one would imagine the BlackVue cam is calibrated out if the factory..
    I would have thought to get a successful prosecution for speeding the device would have to be calibrated

I would have thought to get a successful prosecution for speeding the device would have to be calibrated
    No, calibration is not required. It's possible to use the video to calculate speed using distance/time.

I think the case for dangerous or careless driving would be easier to make with dashcam footage, some don’t record speed or location, just the video.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    No, calibration is not required. It's possible to use the video to calculate speed using distance/time.
    I don't think that is correct Specifically for speeding, maybe for whole raft of other offences based on visual proof.

How would you know time? Would require calibration of the camera's timekeeping.

Master
    I don’t think nearly 70mph in a 30 needs much video calibration, it will be pretty obvious that it was well in excess of the posted limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I don’t think nearly 70mph in a 30 needs much video calibration, it will be pretty obvious that it was well in excess of the posted limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Playing devil's advocate, how do you know the camera has not been speeded up?

So the NIP will come to you as registered keeper and you will have to name / prove it wasn't you driving, do you have written proof of timings/ driver / apology etc as I'm sure you are confident in the system not cocking up/ it back firing?

All the dash cams I'm familiar with calculate speed based on GPS positioning, it isn't possible to 'speed up' GPS! (this assuming the OP's speed figures are those shown on the Dash Cam footage).
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Maybe because any pedestrians caught on the film are not doing an apparent 40mph? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    So the NIP will come to you as registered keeper and you will have to name / prove it wasn't you driving, do you have written proof of timings/ driver / apology etc as I'm sure you are confident in the system not cocking up/ it back firing?
    Will he not have the invoice from the dealer usually with the time or at least the date he booked the car in?

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    All the dash cams I'm familiar with calculate speed based on GPS positioning, it isn't possible to 'speed up' GPS! (this assuming the OP's speed figures are those shown on the Dash Cam footage).
    The speed display is produced by software, the GPS chipset provides the data stream, if someone really wanted to put in the effort it would be a doddle to make it read anything they wanted.

another thing I thought of, for this case, surely the dash cam video would have to include the driver actually driving the car

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    Maybe because any pedestrians caught on the film are not doing an apparent 40mph? ;)
    or cats, dogs and small children :-)

All of above could technically do an apparent 40mph :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    How would you know time? Would require calibration of the camera's timekeeping.
    You simply measure elapsed time in the video. As with all evidence in a criminal prosecution, the reliability of the evidence is taken into account. Lack of a calibration certificate doesn't render this evidence inadmissable. It does leave room for the defence to poke holes.
    You might get away with arguing a 1% error in the recording rate, but in this case, they'd have to show that the camera was recording at half speed. Or that the video was doctored.

There is absolutely nothing in English law to say this evidence can't be considered without a calibration certificate. It is not uncommon for siezed dashcam footage to be used to prosecute a driver for speeding.

Those also lol, plus bionic pensioners.

Obviously, I don't know the full story, but it would seem a bit strange to start by grassing the garage up for speeding before pursuing it with them.

I can't see them being particularly helpful, although as the car's gone elsewhere, maybe the OP doesn't care.

I thought everyone knew mechanics caned cars on road tests...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

You simply measure elapsed time in the video. As with all evidence in a criminal prosecution, the reliability of the evidence is taken into account. Lack of a calibration certificate doesn't render this evidence inadmissable. It does leave room for the defence to poke holes.
    You might get away with arguing a 1% error in the recording rate, but in this case, they'd have to show that the camera was recording at half speed. Or that the video was doctored.

There is absolutely nothing in English law to say this evidence can't be considered without a calibration certificate. It is not uncommon for siezed dashcam footage to be used to prosecute a driver for speeding.
    Elapsed time is open to errors, no different to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Elapsed time is open to errors, no different to speed.
    OK, explain to the magistrate (forum) why you feel he or she must disregard this evidence. It shows the vehicle doing more than twice the posted limit.
    Kindly list the errors that make this evidence inadmissable.
    Last edited by mikeveal; 16th February 2022 at 18:52.

Slightly OT, but I was reminded of this post from November 2016 -

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    I used the same guy to valet my car once a week for a couple of years.

I’d leave it with him, at his business premises and he’d drop me at my office, returning the car personally later in the day.

One day, a colleague ran me to Tesco to grab something and pulled up in the space next to my car. The guy was loading up his shopping.

I helped him unload said shopping onto the floor and left him to make his own way back.
    ______

​Jim.

Didn’t Eddie have dash cam footage of his Merc getting raced by a mechanic a while ago?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Journeyman
    Garage were very supportive and even mentioned police / legal topic too. I’m not naming them as I believe it’s not endemic but personally I won’t be using them again.
    With the ease of submitting dash cam footage online to the police you never know who might be doing the same, following my car etc… so have taken the prudent route. Also the BlackVue has parking mode so I have pretty much full video from dropping the car off in the morning to picking it up in the evening. I’ve got all that on a unlisted YouTube stream and tagged this in the police report…
    I am not sure what will come of it but people should not think 68 in a 30 at 9:05 in the morning is acceptable

Garage were very supportive and even mentioned police / legal topic too. I’m not naming them as I believe it’s not endemic but personally I won’t be using them again.
    With the ease of submitting dash cam footage online to the police you never know who might be doing the same, following my car etc… so have taken the prudent route. Also the BlackVue has parking mode so I have pretty much full video from dropping the car off in the morning to picking it up in the evening. I’ve got all that on a unlisted YouTube stream and tagged this in the police report…
    I am not sure what will come of it but people should not think 68 in a 30 at 9:05 in the morning is acceptable
    If it was on all of the time, I would be more interested in how long they worked on my car and how long they charged me for

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Didn’t Eddie have dash cam footage of his Merc getting raced by a mechanic a while ago?
    Got flashed by a speed camera IIRC?

Ah yes, maybe that was it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    GPDR???? What do they think you are going to steal the trade secrets of the mechanic changing a bulb?

- - - Updated - - -

Would it be OK for the customer just to hide in the boot while the work is done?
    I would love to see/hear the mechanic when he opens the boot to check the spare, inflation kit or whatever.

Master
    Can you actually tell it’s in your car? Obviously you know it is

I'd hope the Police had more pressing priorities.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    I'd hope the Police had more pressing priorities.
    With 25,000 people killed or seriously injured each year on the roads I’d hope things like this were a high priority for the Police but it’s not because their focus is driven by the media not the facts.

Master
    Year Killed Total injury
    2016 1,792 179,592
    2017 1,793 170,993
    2018 1,782 160,378
    2019 1,752 153,158

source wiki

B

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    With 25,000 people killed or seriously injured each year on the roads I’d hope things like this were a high priority for the Police but it’s not because their focus is driven by the media not the facts.
    Q13) What are the major contributory factors to accidents?

A13) Failed to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was reported in 36 per cent of all accidents reported to the police in 2020. For fatal accidents, the most frequently reported contributory factor was again failed to look properly. This was reported in 27 per cent of fatal accidents.

Exceeding the speed limit was reported as a factor in 7 per cent of all accidents, but these accidents involved 17 per cent of fatalities. At least one of exceeding the speed limit and travelling too fast for the conditions was reported in 13 per cent of all accidents and these accidents accounted for 27 per cent of all fatalities.

59 per cent of fatalities in reported road accidents had driver or rider error or reaction (which includes failing to look properly, loss of control and poor turn or manoeuvre) reported as a contributory factor leading to the accident

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Year Killed Total injury
    2016 1,792 179,592
    2017 1,793 170,993
    2018 1,782 160,378
    2019 1,752 153,158

source wiki

B

Killed OR Seriously Injured ...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Q13) What are the major contributory factors to accidents?

A13) Failed to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was reported in 36 per cent of all accidents reported to the police in 2020. For fatal accidents, the most frequently reported contributory factor was again failed to look properly. This was reported in 27 per cent of fatal accidents.

Exceeding the speed limit was reported as a factor in 7 per cent of all accidents, but these accidents involved 17 per cent of fatalities. At least one of exceeding the speed limit and travelling too fast for the conditions was reported in 13 per cent of all accidents and these accidents accounted for 27 per cent of all fatalities.

59 per cent of fatalities in reported road accidents had driver or rider error or reaction (which includes failing to look properly, loss of control and poor turn or manoeuvre) reported as a contributory factor leading to the accident
    We have not seen the dash cam footage so I can't comment but I'd bet there were more shortcomings to the driving than just exceeding the speed limit. 68 in a 30 is the actions or a very poor driver.

Point is the Police have almost zero interest in the enforcement of the road laws ... because their priorities are set by politicians and clamping down on errant drivers isn't a vote winner.

However, when you have lost a friend to idiot / selfish road users you become more aware of the problem.

Mobile phone use is probably the biggest factor these days ...

They should be more focussed on little kids being abused or killed.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    They should be more focussed on little kids being abused or killed.
    All crime is awful but tough choices have to be made, the facts are many more lives are ruined on the roads than they are by child killers or abusers. That’s not to diminish those victims it’s just a fact of frequency.

All crime is awful but tough choices have to be made, the facts are many more lives are ruined on the roads than they are by child killers or abusers. That’s not to diminish those victims it’s just a fact of frequency.
    No! The Speed lie is the largest revenue earner they have.

It’s about cash, not safety

What are they doing about the 93% of accidents that aren’t caused by speeding but can’t be used as a pretence to rob the motorist.