closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Friday Watches - January 2022

Master

Friday Watches - January 2022

I am not angry, just very disappointed. I give you one simple decision to make and you can't even do that. Fair enough, as an adult, I'll hold my hand up and and admit my mistake. I shouldn't have made the poll binary because, like any good binary poll, the result was close. However, this time there weren't even 3.8 percentage points in it. The result to the poll to decide this year's bit on the side was a dead heat (the cynical part of my brain thinks it was deliberate and the last voter decided to level it up, but nobody here would do that would they?). Out of frustration I was sorely tempted to spite you all and impose a different result. However I will honour the original poll and cast the deciding vote. This years BoTS will be complications and it is already looking quite interesting, but more about that later.

January wasn't far off being momentous, well in the world of Friday watch threads anyway. Something happened that only ever happens in April. But, just like Mr Curta, I am going to make you wait just a little longer to find out what that was.

As with previous Januarys we have started the year strongly with a total of 624 watches working out at a weekly average of 156, such heights we haven't seen since May last year. The 28th saw 173 watches posted which is the the highest weekly total since the 16th of April last year. A steady 129 brands were represented.

We had to wait a whole seven days for the the first Friday of the year but it didn't disappoint. The top brands came out hard from the bell and were butting in the clinches from the start. Seiko and Rolex ended up equal on thirteen and Timefactors and Tudor only one behind on twelve each. This pushed Omega into fifth on nine. A weekly later Seiko were the first to break into the twenties with just that, Rolex came second on seventeen and Omega took their usual third spot with twelve. Timefactors trailed in in ninth with a lowly four, most unlike them. Omega took the honours on the twenty first with eighteen, Seiko followed with fifteen with Rolex in third with thirteen. TF made enough of a recovery with ten to give Rolex something to worry about. The final Friday of the month saw Seiko scream into first with twenty five (a high they haven't reached since the twenty eighth of may May last year (hang on, that's a little spooky), Rolex tried to keep up but fell three short and no prizes for guessing where Omega came. Yes third, on nineteen.

Now those of you who have been doing the sums through the last paragraph will already know the answer to the earlier mystery. Yes Seiko beat Rolex, not for the first time, but for the first month that isn't April. The margin wasn't big, seventy three as opposed to sixty five.

To round off a very good month for the Japanese manufacturer Grand Seiko not only exceeded ten in a week for the first time but also hit a new monthly record of twenty eight. Baltic hit a monthly high of three and Timex, riding the nostalgia wave hit a new weekly high of three. JLC also had a good month with ten being worn, not having been in double figures since July 2020. We also had reappearances of a couple of brands after long periods of absence. The prodigal brands included Sternglas (last seen in June 2020) and Uno (not seen since January of last year).

Out of the 129 brands shown this month we managed to dig out another nine brands that had not been shown on the Friday Thread before. These included our first non TF Sewills, a rather English sounding Allenby (which is actually French) and the Franco-Italian sounding Jaques Bianchi.

January was notable for the large number of fabulous vintage watches that you wore,(anyone up for Vintanuary? No, I thought not). Tazmo61's Sewills have already been mentioned as has sish101's Allenby (I now can't say that without a French accent) but Wallasey Runner has managed to track down a fine example of a Australian military Smiths De Luxe GS which isn't something you see every day. Something else you don't see every day is Wolfie's Rodania Waterman. Among many other vintage watches we had alslater's 62MAS, 11erv's lovely vintage IWC Ingeneur and Levkov's Defy.

Enough of my whittling on, here are the numbers:

1Seiko73
    2Rolex65
    3Omega58
    4Timefactors38
    5Tudor30
    6Grand Seiko28
    7Sinn21
    8Panerai19
    9Breitling17
    10CWC12
    11G Shock10
    12IWC10
    13Jaeger-LeCoultre10
    14Zenith9
    15Citizen7
    16Hamilton7
    17Blancpain6
    18Damasko6
    19Heuer6
    20Bulova5
    21Garmin5
    22Oris5
    23Patek Philippe5
    24Audemars Piguet4
    25Bell & Ross4
    26Certina4
    27Christopher Ward4
    28Hanhart4
    29KMK4
    30Newmark (Modern)4
    31Tag Heuer4
    32Timex4
    33Tissot4
    34Baltic3
    35Bremont3
    36Doxa (modern)3
    37Helson3
    38Longines3
    39Ming3
    40Muhle3
    41Serica3
    42Sewills3
    43Smiths3
    44Zeno3
    45A. Lange & Sohne2
    46Anonimo2
    47Armida2
    48Fortis2
    49Glaschutte Original2
    50Moser2
    51Movado2
    52Rado2
    53Squale2
    54Steeldive2
    55Tutima2
    56Vostok2
    57Zodiac2
    58ZRC2
    59Allenby1
    60Alpina1
    61Aquadive1
    62Archimede1
    63Baume et Mercier1
    64Baylor1
    65Boschett1
    66Breguet1
    67Brellum1
    68Cartier1
    69Casio1
    70Corum1
    71Cyma1
    72Dacor1
    73Dekla1
    74Dornbluth & Sohn1
    75Doxa (Vintage)1
    76Dubey and Schaldenbrand1
    77Dufa1
    78Dunhill1
    79Edox1
    80Elliot Brown1
    81EMG1
    82Enzo Mechana1
    83Eterna1
    84Evant1
    85Favre Leuba1
    86Frederique Constant1
    87GWS1
    88Halios1
    89Hublot1
    90ILW1
    91Incipio1
    92Jaques Bianchi1
    93Junghans1
    94Kronos1
    95Le Jour1
    96Lorier1
    97Luminox1
    98Marathon1
    99Marnaut1
    100Mido1
    101Molnija1
    102MWC1
    103Newgate1
    104Nomadic1
    105Nomos1
    106Oakley1
    107Obris Morgan1
    108Orient1
    109Pagani Design1
    110Pinion1
    111Pontus1
    112Precista1
    113Raketa1
    114RJ1
    115Roamer1
    116Rodania1
    117Samsung1
    118SarpanevaUhrenFabrik1
    119Schaffen1
    120Scurfa1
    121Seestern1
    122Steinhart1
    123Sternglas1
    124Swatch1
    125Titoni1
    126U-Boat1
    127Uno1
    128Vacheron Constantin1
    129Wempe1

I haven't finished the analysis of the BoTS but I will have a go this weekend and up date this thread with a nice chart. However, to keep you interested I thought I would lift the curtain and give you a quick peek behind the scenes. Below is the clean spreadsheet for this year. Strangely, seeing it bare, stripped of all numbers gave me an odd sense of satisfaction;

, on Flickr
    Last edited by Wimm; 12th February 2022 at 22:01. Reason: SPAG

Craftsman

Friday Watches - January 2022

Thank you for all your efforts on this !
    Very interesting as well as being very enlightening.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thank you for an excellent piece of work.

As I was reading through, I was thinking I wonder if he separates the Timefactors watches from the earlier original Smiths, Precista and Sewill watches etc and checking the table at the bottom clearly you do, so well done for that.

Ken

Always a well-written piece of prose for the month watch round-up and oh the glory of a mention! I've never seen another Allenby either (is that a good thing) but the fact that it was a double whammy of rarity and vintage makes it especially pleasing.

For those who missed it the first time round, here it is in all its glory. If anyone has any history of the Allenby range I'd be very interested.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Thank you once again! I love your enthusiasm, don't ever lose it. [I am particularly surprised only 1 Casio in 624 watches. But, perhaps people like to impress on the Friday thread.]

Blog Entries
    Superb work - both compiling the list and also the time to write the text as well. Thank you.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Craftsman
    Seems like there is more variety in the early months of the year. All the interesting watches get a showing!

Thank again for this, great reading.

Entertaining write up as always Wimm. Thank you.

I’m surprised to see only one Junghans. This place used to be awash with max bills and mega 1000s

Blog Entries
    Excellent, thank you for this. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Always a well-written piece of prose for the month watch round-up and oh the glory of a mention! I've never seen another Allenby either (is that a good thing) but the fact that it was a double whammy of rarity and vintage makes it especially pleasing.

For those who missed it the first time round, here it is in all its glory. If anyone has any history of the Allenby range I'd be very interested.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Love the futuristic numerals on that one!

Thanks as always Wimm, great read.

Master

Complications

Well, as promised, the first instalment of the study into which complications we prefer. Before I get to the numbers I'll give a quick summary of the principals to which I am working.

I have tried to list as many complications as possible but I will continue to add to the list if any weird and wonderful ones appear. As well as specific complications I have also recorded the simple watches (two handers, three handers and three handers with sub-seconds) to give a bit of balance and to give us an idea of their popularity. There are two very popular complications, date and chronograph, which appear quite regularly either on their own or in combination with other complications. I decided to break them down further to count them on their own (date, chronograph) or in combination (date+, chronograph+). Obviously watches do come with more than one complication so I have counted a maximum of two. If there more than two complications I have chosen the ones which form the major function of the watch (other than telling the time) or which are the most rare. Although it can be a bit random.

The current list and January's numbers areas follows:

Two hander 8
    Three hander 128
    Three hander(sub) 30
    Jump hour 1
    Date 211
    Date + 100
    Day-date 49
    Pano-date 4
    Calendar 0
    Annual calendar 3
    Perpetual calendar 1
    Chronograph 56
    Chronograph + 54
    Moonphase 4
    Travel Time (all definitions) 44
    Power reserve 12
    Digi 11
    Ana-Digi 14
    Smart 6
    Alarm 0
    Equation of time 0
    Yacht timer 0
    Tourbillon 0
    Retrograde 1

Those which were counted in January are shown in the doughnut below:

, on Flickr

It shows that we do like a date, mainly on its own but often in combination with another complication (usually a chronograph) However we do also like simple watches quite a lot too. Chronographs are the next most popular group and then there is a smattering of other complications, usually the more exotic ones.

Excellent work, sir. That's the Mareoscope coming out of the box.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Blog Entries
    Wow, that's quite some pie chart.

No alarms! I am shocked.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 14th February 2022 at 09:16.

Brilliant!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Excellent work, sir. That's the Mareoscope coming out of the box.
    Excellent, I love a good Mareoscope.

Master
    Superb work.