closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I disagree with you Ryan.
    I dont think Rolex need to upgrade their dial, finishing or design grammar as I see no particular reason to upgrade something if its right in the first place.
    Dont get me wrong, I dont mind GS and have had 4 or 5 with a snowflake still in the ranks, but personally Ive never had a GS where I havent thought "would be better if"...
    Its all subjective of course but I cant say the same of Rolex.

(GS bracelet pins are the same as any bog standard $150 Japanese watch, pfffff)
    I disagree too. I also think the "talking Moser level" comment is utter tosh.

Thing is, for many people the resale value IS the product. And that's a shame. There was always some scarcity with watches like the Rolex Daytona, PP 5167 etc. Twas ever thus but the scarcity wasn't insane and these watches could be reliably acquired for 25%-50% above RRP from grey dealers. But Covid hit, factories closed, supplies of watches became scarce and that pushed up prices in the short term as those folks who (for example) really wanted a Green Sub would pay the extra £3k or so to a grey as it wasn't much of a premium in the grand scheme of things.

But then the snowball effect started with a huge dollop of FOMO. The Youtube 'investors' got in on the act, demand increased, supply remained scarce, you don't need to be an Economist to work out what that means.

But the thing is we know the factories are now open again. And in the case of Rolex they are churning out 33% more watches than pre Pandemic. SO that will increase supply. Increased supply will mean less demand from the speculators unless somehow Rolex can convince more people to get on the train. But that is unlikely as this whole bubble (and that is what it is, a bubble) was created in the main by people who don't give a damn about the watches themselves, it is the investment that they are keen on.

I'm sure the vast majority of folks on here (and in society at large who want to buy a nice watch to wear) who really want a GMT wouldn't give a monkeys if they knew it lost 25% if they flipped it as long as they could walk in and get one today from their AD. But they can't so in the mean time it alienates people who would otherwise have bought a Rolex, who won't play the AD waiting list games and now just pick up an Omega instead. Meanwhile the speculators start to get twitchy as the increased supply from Rolex factory filters into the market, meaning more watches to resell onto the same number of people. Prices start to soften, what will then happen is the greys holding a ton of stock will start to soil their pants, prices soften, speculators see softening prices and start to try to move theirs on at lower prices in order not to be left holding the baby and, well you see what happens next.

Obviously this affects the discontinued models to a far lesser extent (Rolex aren't making any more 5513s for example) but I suspect the 'investors' may get burned at some stage assuming this increased production does filter through. Again, as I started this post off with, for many, many people the Rolex product is its scarcity (vs demand) and investment value, what needs to be thought through is how much of this demand-fuelled scarcity is from people who really want to buy a Rolex to wear and how much is driven by people who really want a Rolex to invest in. Because if this latter group gets the wobbles then the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down. And I can't see any enhanced marketing or tangible reason why the former group (people who want a Rolex to wear) would be any bigger than it was say five or so years ago. There was always a huge demand for Rolex, this is nothing new. If anything demand for Rolex as a percentage of luxury watch buyers might actually be slightly down given the increased competition in this space vs 5 years ago. So, again, if it isn't bonafide watch buyers driving demand it is the 'investors'. So when things get nasty later it'll be 'diamond hands bro' time I suspect.
    Last edited by ryanb741; 14th February 2022 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I disagree too. I also think the "talking Moser level" comment is utter tosh.

That's fine Tony, if I agreed with you then we'd both be wrong ;)

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That's fine Tony, if I agreed with you then we'd both be wrong ;)
    LOLZ. The only thing I'd add, Ryan, is that you need to stop offering opinions as fact... otherwise, well - you know what they say.

Blog Entries

My opinion

I have read with interest the comments on here and I appreciate everyone’s opinion.

I bought a Hulk 116610 in June 2020 from my AD for £7450. I’ve always wanted the watch and was absolutely chuffed to pieces when I got mine. I don’t want to sound ungrateful, however seeing the grey prices go up I now feel uncomfortable actually wearing mine. In essence I actually feel I’ve been out priced in wearing it (I’ll try explain).

I spend a fair bit of time in London and cities working, I am now conscious of wearing it. Any would be opportunist could spot it and think, I’ll take a chance mugging him for £15-£20k! In addition, from a business perspective I am so conscious of the image I portray and someone could think ‘he doesn’t need my business!’and therefore my Hulk could stop me getting work (this may be just my perspective).

I have a 2019 114060 and a 2005 GMT and I feel exactly the same with those pieces. To summarise I actually feel slightly disengaged with the brand because of the grey market, which is a real shame. I have actually just recently bought a Panerai and am on the look out for an IWC Top Gun in an attempt to tone down things (I’ll keep my Rolex’s).

It just feels a shame that I actually don’t feel comfortable wearing them anymore. I am sure some people feel the same?
    Last edited by Diesel76; 14th February 2022 at 11:36.

Thing is, for many people the resale value IS the product. And that's a shame. There was always some scarcity with watches like the Rolex Daytona, PP 5167 etc. Twas ever thus but the scarcity wasn't insane and these watches could be reliably acquired for 25%-50% above RRP from grey dealers. But Covid hit, factories closed, supplies of watches became scarce and that pushed up prices in the short term as those folks who (for example) really wanted a Green Sub would pay the extra £3k or so to a grey as it wasn't much of a premium in the grand scheme of things.

But then the snowball effect started with a huge dollop of FOMO. The Youtube 'investors' got in on the act, demand increased, supply remained scarce, you don't need to be an Economist to work out what that means.

But the thing is we know the factories are now open again. And in the case of Rolex they are churning out 33% more watches than pre Pandemic. SO that will increase supply. Increased supply will mean less demand from the speculators unless somehow Rolex can convince more people to get on the train. But that is unlikely as this whole bubble (and that is what it is, a bubble) was created in the main by people who don't give a damn about the watches themselves, it is the investment that they are keen on.

I'm sure the vast majority of folks on here (and in society at large who want to buy a nice watch to wear) who really want a GMT wouldn't give a monkeys if they knew it lost 25% if they flipped it as long as they could walk in and get one today from their AD. But they can't so in the mean time it alienates people who would otherwise have bought a Rolex, who won't play the AD waiting list games and now just pick up an Omega instead. Meanwhile the speculators start to get twitchy as the increased supply from Rolex factory filters into the market, meaning more watches to resell onto the same number of people. Prices start to soften, what will then happen is the greys holding a ton of stock will start to soil their pants, prices soften, speculators see softening prices and start to try to move theirs on at lower prices in order not to be left holding the baby and, well you see what happens next.

Obviously this affects the discontinued models to a far lesser extent (Rolex aren't making any more 5513s for example) but I suspect the 'investors' may get burned at some stage assuming this increased production does filter through. Again, as I started this post off with, for many, many people the Rolex product is its scarcity (vs demand) and investment value, what needs to be thought through is how much of this demand-fuelled scarcity is from people who really want to buy a Rolex to wear and how much is driven by people who really want a Rolex to invest in. Because if this latter group gets the wobbles then the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down. And I can't see any enhanced marketing or tangible reason why the former group (people who want a Rolex to wear) would be any bigger than it was say five or so years ago. There was always a huge demand for Rolex, this is nothing new. If anything demand for Rolex as a percentage of luxury watch buyers might actually be slightly down given the increased competition in this space vs 5 years ago. So, again, if it isn't bonafide watch buyers driving demand it is the 'investors'. So when things get nasty later it'll be 'diamond hands bro' time I suspect.
    Where can I read about Rolex increasing supply by 33%? Thanks

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel76 View Post
    I have read with interest the comments on here and I appreciate everyone’s opinion.

I bought a Hulk 116610 in June 2020 from my AD for £7450. I’ve always wanted the watch and was absolutely chuffed to pieces when I got mine. I don’t want to sound ungrateful, however seeing the grey prices go up I now feel uncomfortable actually wearing mine. In essence I actually feel I’ve been out priced in wearing it (I’ll try explain).
    Im a bit confused as you bought mine in Oct 2020 and said you'd been after one for a long time?

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    Here's an article from Fratello's explaining why Rolex cannot increase supply.
    Opinions and facts. Hmmm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Assuming it's a gold version as surely steel is not up there yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    correct..PM

And Steel - 'Not Yet' give it until Friday next week

Monday?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154847936148

"Feb 2022 Rolex Daytona “PANDA” Men's White Dial Watch - 116500 LN FULL SET" £43,950

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Here's an article from Fratello's explaining why Rolex cannot increase supply.
    Opinions and facts. Hmmm.
    Post Covid production has been going for over a year now.. so where's the increased supply?

Im a bit confused as you bought mine in Oct 2020 and said you'd been after one for a long time?
    Haha!

Grand Master

Awkward!
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Post Covid production has been going for over a year now.. so where's the increased supply?
    Once you see it then its way too late
    RIAC

A few people I have spoken to recently have just given up on Rolex and find the whole drama jumping through hoops to even get on a list ridiculous.

I don't think long term the will be good for the brand at all when the average person on the street who just wants to buy a decent watch is being turned away from the AD's.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Once you see it then its way too late
    But shouldn't we have seen it by now? Or is it still working its way through?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    But shouldn't we have seen it by now? Or is it still working its way through?
    This tiny island and little old Europe are filling nicely but big old Asia and US to fill too.
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    A few people I have spoken to recently have just given up on Rolex and find the whole drama jumping through hoops to even get on a list ridiculous.

I don't think long term the will be good for the brand at all when the average person on the street who just wants to buy a decent watch is being turned away from the AD's.
    I don’t think dealers quite understand the damage they are doing by treating people so poorly. Over the years the stories on here of being laughed at, asked to buy thousands of pounds worth of stuff they don’t want, waiting years…….

There is going to be a whole group of customers who have simply lost interest in buying a watch and will just move on to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by thestore View Post
    That's what Mappin & Webb told me

Grand Master
    Can confirm I have heard the same from reliable AD Manager locally who also shared the figures of Rolex arriving weekly!!!
    RIAC

I was at a "do" on Sunday and saw a guy wearing a hulk. I had vintage Speedmaster on and commented on his Rolex ("nice watch" or something.)

Cue a short, largely one-sided conversation about he'd bought it from a grey dealer for (iirc) £10.5k in 2019 and it was now worth (again, iirc) £22k.

(Forgive me if I've got the numbers wrong but they don't really matter and I don't really care.)

I came away slightly depressed by this. I like watches. I'm no horologist but I know a bit about how they work, their history and evolution and so on. I can spot a reverse panda chronograph or Reverso at 50 paces.

But this chap summed up the whole problem with Rolex and reminded me of why I sold mine.

Funny how Rolex threads attract bitchy comments. You'd think the haters would have other things to be getting on with. Outside of this tiny unimportant bubble, life goes on, and Rolex prices continue to move upwards. I will come back to see Diesel's response though, that should actually be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Funny how Rolex threads attract bitchy comments. You'd think the haters would have other things to be getting on with. Outside of this tiny unimportant bubble, life goes on, and Rolex prices continue to move upwards. I will come back to see Diesel's response though, that should actually be interesting.
    Bitchy comments? Haters? I think this thread has been mostly good tempered. My own post wasn't bitchy, or at least wasn't intended to be. The chap I spoke to was delighted that he'd (hypothetically) doubled his money in a couple of years. Good for him! In my opinion it was a bit crass of him to say so but it takes all sorts. I just don't want to be one of those sorts.

Nowt wrong with Rolex as watches but the trouble is they aren't just watches any more, they're a kind of currency or investment vehicle. It seems to me that Tudor is closer to what Rolex once were: expensive but affordable, high quality but rugged, simple but stylish. And you can actually, you know, go into a shop and buy the buggers.

But each to their own. I've had Rolexes in the past. I don't hate them -- or those who wear them.

PS Also interested to see Diesel's reply! If indeed there is one.

I wonder if Diesel76 is Danpd in disguise.....

Interesting, it doesn't sound like an unrealistic statistic given the huge shortfall in supply vs increasing demand globally. Having said that it could easily have been a guestimate suggested by some area manager at WOS which has made its way through the rumour mill to the shop staff. I'd imagine if Rolex formally communicated a 33% increase in production to WOS, this would have been leaked to the watch blogs etc.

Either way, they need more like 333% more for me to get a call for anything soon!

Master

Funny thing is, aren’t you one of these people who want access to the scarce models, buying anything that the AD wants you to, to gain esteem with the AD, then flipping the following week on SC?

I don’t think you’d be half as keen on getting in with the ADs if Rolex at list price wasn’t such a nice touch.

Not to mention the gleeful anticipation and willing for the ‘bubble’ to burst. Apparently while not having interest in the brand. Highly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    Funny thing is, aren’t you one of these people who want access to the scarce models, buying anything that the AD wants you to, to gain esteem with the AD, then flipping the following week on SC?

I don’t think you’d be half as keen on getting in with the ADs if Rolex at list price wasn’t such a nice touch.
    No I'm not one of those people. You'll see I flip a load of watches from independents (eg ZRC, Ming) plus a load of Seikos which have nothing to do with getting in an ADs good books for a Rolex. I'm more interested in getting first crack on limited edition pieces I like.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    No I'm not one of those people. You'll see I flip a load of watches from independents (eg ZRC, Ming) plus a load of Seikos which have nothing to do with getting in an ADs good books for a Rolex. I'm more interested in getting first crack on limited edition pieces I like.
    Hasnt that been since the Rootbeer debacle though when someone sold it on Ebay with your warranty card on show after a TZ sale and the AD got shirty?

Hasnt that been since the Rootbeer debacle though when someone sold it on Ebay with your warranty card on show after a TZ sale and the AD got shirty?
    I got back in with the AD but I just don't buy that many Rolexes and the last 2 I got dibs on (a new model Explorer and an Air King) I facilitated the sale to members here instead.

Serious question: if supply < demand and you can flip a new Rolex at a profit over rrp why don't Rolex just whack up their prices? They are giving money away to the greys. It just seems like a crazy business model.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
    Serious question: if supply < demand and you can flip a new Rolex at a profit over rrp why don't Rolex just whack up their prices? They are giving money away to the greys. It just seems like a crazy business model.
    whack it up and you risk not selling all units, keep them as they are and the hype, scarcity and rumour mills ensure that pretty much everything they knock out sells instantly.

Wise to remember that while the frothing goes on about "sports" models, they arent Rolex bread and butter by any stretch of the imagination.

Master
    Perhaps because they think in very long time periods. Their business model is based a product which is known for holding its value well. They increase the prices every year, above the rate of inflation, which helps to prop up those used prices and provides a good reason to buy now and not wait until it’s more expensive. This model works very well, it’s the goose that lays the golden eggs, so long as demand stays ahead of supply. But keep raising prices forever and you may reach some kind of ceiling, or circumstances may change - the economy, fashion, the competition. And remember, due to the rise in the Swiss Franc, prices have already shot up a lot recently, during an unprecedented and unpredictable period of economic shocks and asset bubbles. What you absolutely can’t do is end up in a situation where you have to put them down again, or you destroy the reputation of ever rising value.

Or in other words, you don’t yank the levers.

With respect, see how well that worked on the PP5711 before it was discontinued......

Right, thanks. Shows how much I know!

Still not gonna lick an AD's arse to get one though. Interesting that Omega are raising their prices on Rolex's coattails. A rising tide and all that. It will be interesting to see what that does to their resale values.

Good luck to anyone waiting for The Call and I hope you enjoy your watch and/or the money you make on it. You deserve it.

(OK that was bitchy)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Not to mention the gleeful anticipation and willing for the ‘bubble’ to burst. Apparently while not having interest in the brand. Highly amusing.
    You seem to constantly confuse having an opinion on a brand with not owning a particular watch brand or not having any interest in it.

Perhaps you are one of those desperate to hold onto their "Investment" There are many others who just own a watch to enjoy and dont really care about the "Market value" So couldnt care less if the "bubble" bursts and quite frankly would be glad if it did.

There are still more who see this as a watch forum to engage in discussion about watches.

Master
    Was it Sounddood that used to have that headshot meme.
    Valentines day is now the day Verv nuked Diesel76

Master
    Regards the crazy business model
    What genius to dream up a cunning plan where all of their previously hard to shift models are now also sold out and don't even make it to the window as opposed to languishing unloved in the window.
    Marketing master class

Master
    I’m fairly sure Rolex is upping production (think I may have read they are opening another factory) but I’d be surprised if it’s anywhere near 33% right now. Firstly they’ve got their market share/audience just perfect so why take a gamble with the most perfectly marketed business out there. Secondly would they even have the amount of trained employees to even do that now? Over a number of years yes I can see it happening but I’d imagine it will take some time to increase by that much and also they would probably want to monitor sales and production as they increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’m fairly sure Rolex is upping production (think I may have read they are opening another factory) but I’d be surprised if it’s anywhere near 33% right now. Firstly they’ve got their market share/audience just perfect so why take a gamble with the most perfectly marketed business out there. Secondly would they even have the amount of trained employees to even do that now? Over a number of years yes I can see it happening but I’d imagine it will take some time to increase by that much and also they would probably want to monitor sales and production as they increase.
    Even better automation perhaps? There’s a lot of robots in that Geneva plant.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Even better automation perhaps? There’s a lot of robots in that Geneva plant.
    They still employ thousands of people and automation or not, would need a lot more to up production by a third I would think.

In discussion with my local Rolex AD in Cheltenham, Martin & Co., it is of the belief that the main reason for the Rolex situation is the extremely low interest rate. I'm not certain I buy it but the rationale was that people with disposable income can't get a decent interest rate from a straightforward savings account and so are 'investing' in other things: Rolex. This has been compounded by Covid as those who kept their jobs had increased disposable income. The main reason I'm not convinced that this is the whole, or even a major part, of the story is that if those with disposable income are anything like me then they'll invest in funds/shares. That said, my funds have decreased in value over the last 4 or 5 months whereas Rolex prices have continued to increase.

I have owned 3 Rolex watches and still own two of them:

1. GMT Master II Pepsi 16710. Loved the watch but sold it here a few years ago after deciding (incorrectly!!) that 40mm was just a bit small for me.
    2. Sea Dweller 126600. I still own this.
    3. GMT Master II Pepsi 126710BLRO White Gold. Purchased to replace item 1 and will not be sold in my lifetime.

I have never purchased a Rolex from an AD as it's just not realistic. When I walked into my local AD just before Christmas wearing No. 3 above, the salesman asked his colleagues over to see the watch. Asked if I purchased it from them I replied that I hadn't as when I spoke with them in the Summer about buying either the newly released steel on oyster bracelet or the white gold (I don't like the jubilee bracelet) I was told that they weren't taking orders or even expressions of interest. I don't blame them for their almost dismissive attitude; it's just the way it is and they're powerless to change it.

My father got me into investing and until around 7 or 8 years ago managed them on behalf of my two sisters and me. When I tell him I spent £30k on a watch he thinks I'm crazy until I explain that it isn't a sunk cost and compare the appreciation/depreciation with his favoured funds. I have never purchased a watch as an investment but because I like it for whatever reason, however, having culled my collection over the last 4-years or so I have only lost money once on an IWC Portuguese Chronograph.
    Last edited by Skier; 22nd February 2022 at 20:00.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I think arse licking and networking are slightly different.

I wanted my first Rolex in 2019 and did the normal tour of dealers (passing up on an in stock Exp2 - idiot lol) but most of the staff were more ‘shop’ than ‘watch’ people so there was no rapport until I found a dealer genuinely interested in all sorts of watches and my weird and wonderful pieces. Last time we spoke I have asked for something special and we’ll see, but the conversation was more around my new Smiths Commando than Rolex.

Regards production it maybe the case, but the big USP right now is the hype and you cannot buy that sort of press, so it’s not in their interests to make things too easy to buy.

Lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    In discussion with my local Rolex AD in Cheltenham, Martin & Co., it is of the belief that the main reason for the Rolex situation is the extremely low interest rate. I'm not certain I buy it but the rationale was that people with disposable income can't get a decent interest rate from a straightforward savings account and so are 'investing' in other things: Rolex. This has been compounded by Covid as those who kept their jobs had increased disposable income. The main reason I'm not convinced that this is the whole, or even a major part of, the story is that if those with disposable income are anything like me then they'll invest in funds/shares. That said, my funds have decreased in value over the last 4 or 5 months whereas Rolex prices have continued to increase.

I have owned 3 Rolex watches and still own two of them:

1. GMT Master II Pepsi 16710. Loved the watch but sold it here a few years ago after deciding (incorrectly!!) that 40mm was just a bit small for me.
    2. Sea Dweller 126600. I still own this.
    3. GMT Master II Pepsi 126710BLRO White Gold. Purchased to replace item 1 and will not be sold in my lifetime.

I have never purchased a Rolex from an AD as it's just not realistic. When I walked into my local AD just before Christmas wearing No. 3 above, the salesman asked his colleagues over to see the watch. Asked if I purchased it from them I replied that I hadn't as when I spoke with them in the Summer about buying either the newly released steel on oyster bracelet or the white gold (I don't like the jubilee bracelet) I was told that they weren't taking orders or even expressions of interest. I don't blame them for their almost dismissive attitude; it's just the way it is and they're powerless to change it.

My father got me into investing and until around 7 or 8 years ago managed them on behalf of my two sisters and me. When I tell him I spent £30k on a watch he thinks I'm crazy until I explain that it isn't a sunk cost and compare the appreciation/depreciation with his favoured funds. I have never purchased a watch as an investment but because I like it for whatever reason, however, having culled my collection over the last 4-years or so I have only lost money once on an IWC Portuguese chronograph.
    And so my question that you may have already answered here - do these watches actually sell for these inflated prices ?
    Having a watch for sale at $$$$ does not mean that is its value - it is only of that value if it actually sells.

So my question are people actually paying these inflated prices for Rolex ?

Thanks

Journeyman
    On a practical note, which decent household insurer allows you to have items worth more than the £15k limit of M&S/AXA/John Lewis?

I was at a "do" on Sunday and saw a guy wearing a hulk. I had vintage Speedmaster on and commented on his Rolex ("nice watch" or something.)

Cue a short, largely one-sided conversation about he'd bought it from a grey dealer for (iirc) £10.5k in 2019 and it was now worth (again, iirc) £22k.

(Forgive me if I've got the numbers wrong but they don't really matter and I don't really care.)

I came away slightly depressed by this. I like watches. I'm no horologist but I know a bit about how they work, their history and evolution and so on. I can spot a reverse panda chronograph or Reverso at 50 paces.

But this chap summed up the whole problem with Rolex and reminded me of why I sold mine.
    This post rang so true. The majority of people buying Rolex now, is it because it’s ‘better than money in the bank’ or because they love the watch they’ve bought for what it is?

I might not be at the point where I am totally disillusioned by the brand, I still regard the old 5-digit models as some of the most aesthetically pleasing ever made and I also love my Explorer 1, which funnily enough is probably the most ‘unRolex’ modern Rolex there is.

The thrill of the chase when searching out and landing that perfect unpolished 2 line 14060 or a perfectly aged tritium 16610, is not something I think I will experience for the latest comic book iterations, sadly.

Mainly because of how inflated their values have become when you consider the actual ‘watchmaking’ you are getting, but also the YouTube/Instagram hype merchants associated with pumping these models to these crazy FOMO prices.

How is it that values are skyrocketing but the watches themselves have started to seem to me at least, less special than they used to?

I used to get a warm feeling inside when I strapped a Rolex on my wrist, unfortunately for me that feeling is beginning to fade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nmbnmb View Post
    On a practical note, which decent household insurer allows you to have items worth more than the £15k limit of M&S/AXA/John Lewis?
    December 2020 I put my collection (exception of the one on my wrist) on deposit for the simple reason of insurance and sleeping at night. Nothing indoors now.

Pitch

^ Safety deposit does bring peace of mine - but the additional cost of insurance and the hassle (20min walk from my office) put me off. I do feel that peace of mind is probably less of an issue up this way.

Blog Entries
    ^ Safety deposit does bring peace of mine - but the additional cost of insurance and the hassle (20min walk from my office) put me off. I do feel that peace of mind is probably less of an issue up this way.
    They certainly do bring peace of mind. Factoring in increase in insurance and safe spec requirements it really was the best option for us.

I’m afraid this is the new normal, the days of me personally having everything thing at hand are long gone.

It’s nice to visit, have a play in a secure room and a change although I generally end up wearing the same one out as I wore in.
    Last edited by Pitch3110; 14th February 2022 at 23:08.

Master
    Blog Entries
    My suspicion is Rolex are in fact passengers in this situation and are probably uncomfortable with the current mania which they probably view as a bit crass.

A perfect storm of the pandemic, surplus cash in the hands of many, social media, speculators and factory shut down has created a huge wave of desire and speculation that isn’t really Rolex’s cup of tea as they are historically a conservative organisation.

I am sure the management team would love this secondary market craziness to dissipate asap.

They are not like a normal company driving for short term shareholders returns.