closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I didnt say it wasnt going on, it is, I just said less and certainly less than people think. Theres a lot more at stake with grey market values and businesses risking their AD status.

Your Nautlius example isnt really a good one for you to use - have you any idea of the whole PP game for getting a watch like that? I know two people who have just been through the process. Firstly what they had to buy is eye watering just to be considered and secondly its PP that has the final say. Not a game Id entertain but the process was quite staggering. Wasnt long ago that a Nautilus was auctioned after being sold and it made world wide news in the watch world (including on here). No way a Nautilus is going to a sales managers mate.
    I accept what you are saying but greys are getting them somehow so if people arent flipping them then how.
    The spend thing I get but surely when they do get the reward SS model for the big spend and flip it they will be blacklisted.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    All the Swiss brands will be anxious to see if AP can get away with abolishing manufacturer set prices at the AD and simply allow ADs to sell their allocated stock at what the market will bear at that time.
    I don't think this is what they intend at all, as far as I can tell this is speculation based on some legal wording. For watch brands, the main thing is to keep demand ahead of supply and not kill the golden goose. Watches that are famous for increasing in value will keep their children's children in Swiss finishing school for generations to come, boom and bust are to be avoided. The concept of building a relationship before you get to buy what you really want is enough of an innovation. It's not unreasonable either, if agreeing to sell you a particular watch gives the buyer an instant windfall. The question becomes, what will you do for us?

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    They want Rolex branding to be equivalent to AP/PP and are moving the price point accordingly. When a steel Royal Oak 'jumbo' Date retails for 27,900, why should't a Datejust?
    Because there are more of them, among many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    There are some PP models where you quite literally have to go and interview with them to see if you're worthy, and people moan about the alleged buttering up of Rolex ADs.
    I scan watched Ed Sheeran on Hodinkee and he mentioned the PP interview.

I wonder if anyone here has had an interview by PP.

I can imagine receiving a rejection letter with the inevitable first word unfortunately

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    I accept what you are saying but greys are getting them somehow so if people arent flipping them then how.
    The spend thing I get but surely when they do get the reward SS model for the big spend and flip it they will be blacklisted.
    Theres too many scenarios for us to know exactly, so its a combination of educated guess work with a bit of knowledge from watch forums and people you know of personally. . . . So Id say the models getting to greys would be some from ADs (not many but some), some from their staff, some from people getting a watch and literally thinking theyll cash it out for massive profit and taking a risk of getting caught (most will probably know they will get away with it), some that have waited for ages and just dont want to pass up the profit, some that need the cash and no doubt some big spenders do it and maybe their AD turns a blind eye.

I cant see grey dealers phoning up ADs to announce they have one of their watches so unless the watch had a fault, or the new buyer contacts the original AD, most will get sold anonymously.

Master
    There are some PP models where you quite literally have to go and interview with them to see if you're worthy, and people moan about the alleged buttering up of Rolex ADs.
    Go into a PP AD and ask to buy a 42mm "big pilot" watch. I am guessing they would skip any interview and just go straight to taking your credit card.
    Different for some models of course.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Master
    Yep I think Rolex is very easy in comparison.

Master
    I think it might be interesting to see how the market goes in the next few months as the increasing cost of living starts to bite.
    Fuel, energy, interest rates and NI increase.
    Certainly may slow things down.

I think there is a manager or business owner who sends in runners to all the ADs. All the money and watches will be going to one person/manager who in turn is sending a handful of people into all the ADs. All unconnected.

When one of the runners gets blacklisted the squad leader just backfills and send someone fresh in to buy a full gold straight off the bat to establish a relationship as a heavy hitter.

The same runners will be at ADs all over town and across the country so when theyre blacklisted its just from WOS or Wempe, not the entire brand.

All those Amex cards will be linked to the same main account holder, the buyers are just supplementary cardholders.

Id bet a grand on that being +80% accurate.

I think it might be interesting to see how the market goes in the next few months as the increasing cost of living starts to bite.
    Probably just get worse.

Far more people with less money, but also more people, who sit in the right demographic, with more money.

^Sounds like watch dealer county lines.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure. I would've thought that the past two years would've knocked it but it seems like the opposite happened.
    People with heavy money to spend are really going at it atm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Interesting debate. The wearers of luxury toys do appear to have the last laugh, when they triple in value while mortage rates stay rock bottom - though not without taking on some risk. For the last 20 years whats really been crazy has been paying off a mortage when you could invest the same money in something with a higher rate of return.

Im not sure its reasonable to ask people with mortgages to enjoy no luxuries at all for the 25 years it takes to pay them off. Generally the idea is to have a lifestyle that makes those 25 years reasonably pleasant, not to live on beans until youre too old to enjoy the perks of having a decent job. In fact, by that argument the house itself is a luxury, and you should only buy them in cash. And yet its the people who were mortgaged to the hilt who made out like bandits when their house prices doubled. Clearly theres a balance to be struck, but for most of us a decent watch which retains its value or even rises is a less guilty pleasure than new cars and expensive holidays.
    Thank christ for some common sense of this particular subject. Its complete nonsense to state that you shouldn't have any luxuries while you have a mortgage to pay. It's about living within your means and sensibly allocating your expenditure in line with earnings and priorities

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    The reason you aren't able to buy a SS Sports Rolex is because the ADs are feeding many of them to Grey dealers and taking massive kick backs under the table.
    There’s a stickered unsized Rolex on SC today. What did the AD think was going to happen to the watch?!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Theres a stickered unsized Rolex on SC today. What did the AD think was going to happen to the watch?!
    That's an interesting one
    The seller has bought it in Euroland(possibly Dublin) but lives in NI.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure. I would've thought that the past two years would've knocked it but it seems like the opposite happened.
    All the money they saved on cruises, and holidays in Dubai and Grand Cayman.
    Last edited by oldoakknives; 4th February 2022 at 00:05.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Good idea. If you have a mortgage and debts you shouldnt be wasting money on luxury toys
    Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Agreed.

I bet most of the people paying these inflated prices will be the ones with a mortgage and/or debts. It will be interesting to see what happens when the interest rates rise along side energy bills etc.
    That's a grossly oversimplified generalisation when it comes to mortgages.

Unsecured debts are another matter of course.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Even in todays mad world, Watchfinder putting up a cyan OP41 for 28k is a coffee spat over the ipad price.

People have been saying this for a long time citing different reasons for the prices about to crash even going back to times when ceramic Daytona was just released. People were claiming - just wait a few months. These premiums ( relatively modest at that time) will come down in matter of months. For some it is always like- just wait a few months, it is about to burst. Ofcourse one day that will be happen but hard to say when.

Can anyone recall a year when Daytonas and Subs were cheaper than the year before??

Craftsman
    AP royal Oak is also impossible to get from AD for mere mortals ,look at the prices on the secondry markets nowadays

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    Even in todays mad world, Watchfinder putting up a cyan OP41 for 28k is a coffee spat over the ipad price.
    They sell instantly though!
    They're more inflated over RRP than Daytonas at the minute.

Craftsman
    Was shocked to see the mad new price of the 33k Daytona Pana now 38k over night !!

5k jump in 2 days. it's a11k watch people, who is buying at 40k ! It's interesting for sure the flippers sell every thing, but still there are buyers for them !

If I had 15k today I would buy the modern 321 hand made Omega moonwatch. Had my name down for 2 years and nothing, but 2k overs gets me one, seems cheap !

There is still one Rolex sports model that hasn't really reacted to the latest double bubble - the Sub 126619LB.

35k gets you in to one against a list price of 32.5.

When you look what has happened to CHNR full Rose Gold prices this one seems a "bargain."

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petay993 View Post
    There is still one Rolex sports model that hasn't really reacted to the latest double bubble - the Sub 126619LB.

35k gets you in to one against a list price of 32.5.

When you look what has happened to CHNR full Rose Gold prices this one seems a "bargain."
    38k is the cheapest I can find in stock. so yes quite low if you can call 5.5k over low. Daytona is in it's own bubble as is the cyan op.

I would quite like a 40mm SD4000 NOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    38k is the cheapest I can find in stock. so yes quite low if you can call 5.5k over low. Daytona is in it's own bubble as is the cyan op.

I would quite like a 40mm SD4000 NOS.
    Well respected dealer Hackett Watches.

https://www.hackettwatches.com/watch...ubmariner-date

No affiliation but do keep going back to it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    If you care about this type of thing, its a big deal. Im glad I dont.

I simply dont see any value or enjoyment in any Rolex and havent for a long time. They are for showing off, nothing more, nothing less.
    That certainly used to be the majority motive I am sure. But, now I see the majority of buyers are looking at the investment angle.

All down to greed, which is the way the western world has gone since those heady days of the eighties when "Greed" we were told, was "Good".

Of course, it isn't. It fractures society and makes it a worse place. How many people that actually help society run (Nurses and general hospital workers, public transport workers, Supermarket staff, Librarians, postal workers, Police, delivery drivers, Teachers, social workers, armed forces, etc) do you see wearing Rolexes...

And, its the very crowd that drive up the prices that have helped create a society were they can no longer wear them in safety. Some sort of ironic justice going on?

Master
    And, as we know (Wink wink) SOME people used Bounce Back Loans to buy Rolexes!! (you know who you are...)
    Last edited by redmonaco; 4th February 2022 at 12:27.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco View Post
    That certainly used to be the majority motive I am sure. But, now I see the majority of buyers are looking at the investment angle.

All down to greed, which is the way the western world has gone since those heady days of the eighties when "Greed" we were told, was "Good".

Of course, it isn't. It fractures society and makes it a worse place. How many people that actually help society run (Nurses and general hospital workers, public transport workers, Supermarket staff, Librarians, postal workers, Police, delivery drivers, Teachers, social workers, armed forces, etc) do you see wearing Rolexes...

And, its the very crowd that drive up the prices that have helped create a society were they can no longer wear them in safety. Some sort of ironic justice going on?
    who pays for all the public sector workers :-)

Public sector workers in the main are better off than the ave worker and have more holidays, better pensions and A LOT MORE sick days !

Any way quite of lot of these people wear Rolex's these days.

Craftsman
    And, as we know (Wink wink) SOME people used Bounce Back Loans to buy Rolexes!! (you know who you are...)
    why not, get a loan for 20k buy a watch, sell it for 40k ! All you need is "the AD call" matters not how you fund the flip does it ?

Makes you wonder how much of that 4 Billion defrauded went on Rolex. Radix malorum est cupiditas.

It's not a sensible, sustainable investment strategy, If as opined regular folks on around average incomes are really taking punts on Rolex instead of ISA's, pensions, tracker funds etc...How to reconcile that theory with the headlines of millions facing fuel poverty, AND the NIC/ JOBS TAX is reported to be about to hit the middle earners hardest.

It's the rich got richer.
    Last edited by Passenger; 4th February 2022 at 12:54.

I'm sure more of our pension funds than we know about are invested in gold, or a vehicle for tracking gold, which is really no different to buying a Rolex. Except you don't pay CG on a Rolex.

The prices are crazy. Even the shit looking Rolexes are high demand, which surely means they have escaped from being mostly for people interested in watches. I have more Rolexes than is strictly necessary (which I suppose would be 0 Rolexes) but since they are now 10 grand + watches I won't wear them, except on (very very) occasion. I feel like it's a terrible waste because I bought them to wear them, and I did when they were 3k or 4k, but I can't sell them because I think they might be the best investment I have.

A flat four LV with a scratch on the insert for 27k!

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...51/item/206818

Grand Master
    Had a day out in Leeds today,plenty Rolex Subs at a few dealers,none of which at tz prices.

Dont ask the shop names,I just know where to wander when Im in Leeds.

Its not much of a fun hobby anymore if you like Rolex crazy how its all changed in the last 10 years

Public sector workers in the main are better off than the ave worker and have more holidays, better pensions and A LOT MORE sick days !

Im one of those public sector workers and own a Rolex - all subsidised by the good old British taxpayer, gawd bless em!

Bet youre a regular little Mr Angry in the Daily Mail comments sections as well? 😀👍
    Last edited by WHL1882; 4th February 2022 at 23:11.

Ive been a civil servant for thirty years including working alongside a lot of very senior people and Ive never seen a single Rolex, Zenith, Panerai or anything else more high-end than a Breitling or Tag.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’m a career civil servant since 98, and if you think they are well off you are honestly deluded. I have several mates in the same field in the private sector they regularly moan about public sector pensions, but they conveniently forget they have their buy to let’s, vanguard, 50% more take home salary and 60k cars.

In 2019 I went to meet some suppliers in Canary Wharf. There was a ceramic Daytona and a Jaquet Droz in the room from the supplier, both of which I’d never seen in the flesh before. I was wearing a moonwatch and felt inadequate haha.

I have a nice watch collection but don’t spend on much else tbh.

Master
    why not, get a loan for 20k buy a watch, sell it for 40k ! All you need is "the AD call" matters not how you fund the flip does it ?
    It should do. Obviously not to you...

Quote Originally Posted by WHL1882 View Post
    Im one of those public sector workers and own a Rolex - all subsidised by the good old British taxpayer, gawd bless em!

Bet youre a regular little Mr Angry in the Daily Mail comments sections as well? 😀👍
    Hes just being Ally

Craftsman
    It should do. Obviously not to you...
    Money is cheap to borrow atm, because I am a bit older I don't need to borrow money if the call comes in, but don't see an issue taking a loan out to buy a Rolex if your intent is to flip it. This market is very short lived, I give it 18 months max.

People moan to much about other people making money, the UK does suck at that vs Europe, where people are happy for you if you make it. In the UK if you make money you get slagged off or your car keyed it,s very odd.

People make a choice to work public sector or private, free choice, few rarely swap over.
    I dont know any one ,(and I know a lot) who would leave public sector for private, but they seem to moan a lot !

Journeyman
    The bounce back loans have contributed to the crazy price increases. A lot of fraudulent loans handed out with people just folding the company. A lot of them seem to have got away with this which is a scandal.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Im a career civil servant since 98, and if you think they are well off you are honestly deluded. I have several mates in the same field in the private sector they regularly moan about public sector pensions, but they conveniently forget they have their buy to lets, vanguard, 50% more take home salary and 60k cars.

In 2019 I went to meet some suppliers in Canary Wharf. There was a ceramic Daytona and a Jaquet Droz in the room from the supplier, both of which Id never seen in the flesh before. I was wearing a moonwatch and felt inadequate haha.

I have a nice watch collection but dont spend on much else tbh.
    Those buy to lets don't JUST buy themselves you know

Quote Originally Posted by Tosh View Post
    The bounce back loans have contributed to the crazy price increases. A lot of fraudulent loans handed out with people just folding the company. A lot of them seem to have got away with this which is a scandal.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    4 plus billions written off by the peoples chancellor I read...could account for quite a few Rolex even at the silly prices...now that's success.

Craftsman
    Im a career civil servant since 98, and if you think they are well off you are honestly deluded. I have several mates in the same field in the private sector they regularly moan about public sector pensions, but they conveniently forget they have their buy to lets, vanguard, 50% more take home salary and 60k cars.

In 2019 I went to meet some suppliers in Canary Wharf. There was a ceramic Daytona and a Jaquet Droz in the room from the supplier, both of which Id never seen in the flesh before. I was wearing a moonwatch and felt inadequate haha.

I have a nice watch collection but dont spend on much else tbh.
    If you have mates in the private sector doing the same job for more money get a job there ?
    You would have to get to work on time mind you :-) and NO MORE 2 hour lunch breaks and 1/2 the holiday. And if you dont perform you get the sack.

Funny I bet you will stay in the public sector.

If you have mates in the private sector doing the same job for more money get a job there ?
    You would have to get to work on time mind you :-) and NO MORE 2 hour lunch breaks and 1/2 the holiday. And if you dont perform you get the sack.

Thanks for this wonderfully insightful account of the workings of the Public Sector. Point taken, but without Civil Servants whod have processed you and your Private Sector chums furlough payments while you most likely sat on your Arsenals doing not a lot for the past two years?

Anyway, has GOT to be a Daily Mail journalist? His grammar is terrible!

Craftsman

This post really proves that you don't 'know a lot' at all. Many people work in the public sector because its not just about money, they feel its a vocation and they feel obliged to provide a service for the good of others

And no, I'm not a public sector worker but my customers are....and you couldn't be more wrong if you tried

I'm sure you'll come back with some nonsense or other because its impossible to win an argument with an idiot

I think I need to read Mr Curta's competition thread again

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jimmer42; 5th February 2022 at 11:24.

Grand Master
    During my 30 years in The Public Sector I was often on duty 24/7 in hostile and unpleasant environments and therefore totally sympathise with those poor private sector workers who might lose thier jobs if they get it wrong, all we would ever lose was our lives!
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Those buy to lets don't JUST buy themselves you know
    That’s right, they are bought with the additional salary.

If you have mates in the private sector doing the same job for more money get a job there ? You would have to get to work on time mind you :-) and NO MORE 2 hour lunch breaks and 1/2 the holiday. And if you don’t perform you get the sack.

You have proved my point. I get paid about 50% less than a PWC/Deloitte director and I’m fine with that, as I like other aspects of my job, but be under no illusion that it’s not a gravy train. I get 25 days leave, work 50h weeks and take a 30m lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    During my 30 years in The Public Sector I was often on duty 24/7 in hostile and unpleasant environments and therefore totally sympathise with those poor private sector workers who might lose thier jobs if they get it wrong, all we would ever lose was our lives!
    What? Nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    What? Nuts.
    So being in the SAS isnt classed as Public Sector then? I was also in it for a couple of years before I transferred to the Department for Transport as an Administrative Assistant. Some of the paper cuts I suffered to my thumbs whilst on active filing duty? Well, I dont even want to talk about them ok😅