closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: we all hate Rolex price threads BUT ffs when will it end now biggest month increase

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I don't get all the fuss, it's just a bog standard Oyster Potpetual.
    Its a Datejust.

I don't get all the fuss, it's just a bog standard Oyster Potpetual.
    I see what you did there - very good.

The wacky baccy dial perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    ...The wacky baccy dial perhaps.
    Well, it does have hash marks on the dial.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Blog Entries
    …. it's the 2nd best watch in the whole Rolex catalogue.
    I have to ask, which do you consider the best?

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Its a Datejust.
    I'm not sure if the joke was missed or if you just disapprove of the joke

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I have to ask, which do you consider the best?
    Explorer - the 39mm is sexy and I don't care who knows it

Master
    Blog Entries

Well you get half marks for that as everyone knows the 36mm is the classic. ;-)

I'm not sure if the joke was missed or if you just disapprove of the joke

So perfect, they decided to sack it :)))

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    So perfect, they decided to sack it :)))
    Perfection couldn't last forever, they have diamond dial datejusts to shift out back.

I tell you what I think I'd be OK with in 36mm... a full yellow gold Explorer. Now that would be a killer 2 watch combo - 39mm steel and 36mm gold. Of course I would probably not get allocation nor have the funds, but that's irrelevant to the hypothetical scenario

Master
    Blog Entries
    If we are into the hypothetical wish list, why don’t they sell Subs, SD or DSSD with oyserflex? At least there’s rubber b etc.

The main diving range has no diving strap option.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    If we are into the hypothetical wish list, why don’t they sell Subs, SD or DSSD with oyserflex? At least there’s rubber b etc.
    “Why” is impossible to answer. I suppose the move to offer Oyster or Jubilee on the GMT was a development for professional models. Pragmatically, it would make manufacturing and distribution more complicated and not like they need to offer more choices to shift stock ….

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    If we are into the hypothetical wish list, why don’t they sell Subs, SD or DSSD with oyserflex? At least there’s rubber b etc. The main diving range has no diving strap option.
    I’m sure your dealer will “put you on the list” for a Tropic at a 1000% markup if you can perform anilingus to a satisfactorily high standard.

Craftsman
    Anyone who knows about cars knows that Bristols were sheds with American crate engines …
    And that is proof I’ve read this thread .. so there …!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Meanwhile the madness continues...2018 White dial, £47k...actually feels like it could be a pricing error on their site.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...94/item/213626

I actually like how watchfinder puts the retail price.

It’s like “This is the actual price and this is how much you are getting fleeced”

- - - Updated - - -

I actually like how watchfinder puts the retail price.

It’s like “This is the actual price and this is how much you are getting fleeced”

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Meanwhile the madness continues...2018 White dial, £47k...actually feels like it could be a pricing error on their site.

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Rolex/...94/item/213626
    Bonkers.
    White seems to be priced way above black now. There also seems to be so much less white.

Master
    The 16570 Explorer II Polar is still great value while there's still some under £10,000 with B&P. Grab one before they all become 5 figure watches like the Milagaus.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's mad isn't it.

Atleast it's seems to be mainly Rolex, AP and PP. Theres still plenty of well prices watch brands.

I use to think that one of the benefits of buying a Rolex was the residuals but anyone buying at prices today must see the potential risk of losing money in the future.

I know a lot of people don't think these watches will crash but I think it's innevitable.

Grand Master

Unlikely but itll make a few pants damp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Craftsman
    Getting dafter by the day. No doubt people are Russian to buy at these prices ;-)

Having owned a couple I cannot help but feel annoyed but equally feeling like they are taking the brand even further towards exclusivity; ultimately it should help the brand. I love my current Rolex which is pretty much my daily, I have been on the list for a few models for 15 months and cannot wait to pick up my next. I adore the brand, they still tick all my boxes until I might be able to afford a Patek.

Grand Master
    Please translate ‘help the brand’ into language that a 64 year old slightly cynical pragmatic Yorkshireman like me can understand. Has the brand got feelings and emotions, or is it a sensitive beast that needs help?

Absolute load of bollocks, you’ve obviously got more brass than brains!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 22nd February 2022 at 00:02.

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    Having owned a couple I cannot help but feel annoyed but equally feeling like they are taking the brand even further towards exclusivity; ultimately it should help the brand. I love my current Rolex which is pretty much my daily, I have been on the list for a few models for 15 months and cannot wait to pick up my next. I adore the brand, they still tick all my boxes until I might be able to afford a Patek.
    Can it be more exclusive if production hasn't reduced?
    Whether any of this is good for the brand in the long term is hard to say, but I imagine Rolex is spending millions on experts who know better than we do

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Please translate ‘help the brand’ into language that a 64 year old slightly cynical pragmatic Yorkshireman like me can understand. Has the brand got feelings and emotions, or is it a sensitive beast that needs help?

Terms like 'help the brand' are well established when talking about brand value.
    By all means disagree with him, but perhaps consider using Google rather than having a go at members due to common terms you're not personally familiar with. I'm reliably informed Google is available in Yorkshire.

Hmmm, ‘slightly cynical’ is a little bit of an understatement. Don’t you think?:-)
    Just kidding.

Grand Master
    In conversation with a watch dealer who also has a 1st in Economics and 8 years experience in the trade who suggests that the lesser desirable models (ie Datejust, OP, and certain Professionals) have been simmering at ‘actual sale’ price for a few weeks and are now starting to steadily drop. He makes the assumption that as it rose so it will fall and as those models got dragged up last they are the first to slip. We will see but matters not to a grey dealer as margins are the same, in fact a lot of grey are really not interested in chasing a Rolex buy or sell as the margin just isn’t there.
    RIAC

Blog Entries

I took it to mean it would help their image or perceived quality.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It's going to fall it's innevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    In conversation with a watch dealer who also has a 1st in Economics and 8 years experience in the trade who suggests that the lesser desirable models (ie Datejust, OP, and certain Professionals) have been simmering at ‘actual sale’ price for a few weeks and are now starting to steadily drop. He makes the assumption that as it rose so it will fall and as those models got dragged up last they are the first to slip. We will see but matters not to a grey dealer as margins are the same, in fact a lot of grey are really not interested in chasing a Rolex buy or sell as the margin just isn’t there.
    It'll matter if they're greedy and get caught sitting on stock

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    This has been said for several years now and still shows no signs of becoming reality. Crazy.

Grand Master
    It'll matter if they're greedy and get caught sitting on stock

You can’t be greedy with Rolex, no grey is making a fortune out of Rolex now as if they do make a lower than acceptable bid then the a seller goes elsewhere to sell. Your smallest margin is on Rolex and they are in and out
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    You can’t be greedy with Rolex, no grey is making a fortune out of Rolex now as if they do make a lower than acceptable bid then the a seller goes elsewhere to sell. Your smallest margin is on Rolex and they are in and out
    True.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Unlikely but itll make a few pants damp

I know it's sexist and all, but it really is a less attractive proposition when talking about middle aged men. I read that you can get special pants that help.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Might slow, but I don’t see a fall.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    Getting dafter by the day. No doubt people are Russian to buy at these prices ;-)

Would be interesting to see what they are offering to sellers

Master
    We've just seen in Canada that Trudeau's out-of-control Govt. can arbitrarily steal money and frieze bank account of political opponents and protestors.

When money held as computer records can be capriciously taken by the State in a supposed democracy, it makes sense to store value in something which can be worn on the person and traded anywhere in the world.

Assuming a quick flip sure, but with prices supposedly going up thousands overnight? Would be easy to become greedy and sit on stock.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Would be easy to become greedy and sit on stock.
    … and also very risky. Dealers in any commodity usually go for quick turnovers. Otherwise they become speculators.

Grand Master
    https://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/in...&dosearch=true

These guys who may have never sold a watch (No Reviews) make sure they have one of each of the hottest models available for you!!!!

Oh wait maybe the price that they advertise for is part of the C24 watch collection predictor that people believe to be a barometer, and funny old thing they are also the most expensive in UK on all models!
    RIAC

Craftsman
    I think the C24 watch collection predictor relies more on actual sale price of watches sold on the platform. But yes, silly high listed prices would skew the value estimate a little.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    I think the C24 watch collection predictor relies more on actual sale price of watches sold on the platform. But yes, silly high listed prices would skew the value estimate a little.
    Yes, exactly this (for the values in your watch collection on the app).

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasH View Post
    Yes, exactly this (for the values in your watch collection on the app).
    On my collection the app says my Z Blue milgauss is worth £11.5k, but I’m seeing them reserved with fixed price at £13-14k

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    On my collection the app says my Z Blue milgauss is worth £11.5k, but I’m seeing them reserved with fixed price at £13-14k

I wouldn't believe what you see on Chrono. Have a look on watchcharts (https://watchcharts.com/watch/649/ro...gauss-116400gv) and you'll see them up for sale between £8-10k. Even with duties of importing from the US it would be a lot cheaper than those ones on Chrono

I wouldn't surprised if the watches didn't exist and dealers were just "reserving" watches amongst themselves to create artificial scarcity and high prices

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wangas View Post
    I wouldn't surprised if the watches didn't exist and dealers were just "reserving" watches amongst themselves to create artificial scarcity and high prices
    Every time you offer on an watch as a dealer, Ch24 automatically marks it as reserved either until its paid for or the offer expires. You have to go and manually undo the reservation after you've made the offer if you want to continue to offer it for sale. When youre dealing with 80 odd messages a day on the platform it can be easy to forget to go undo all the reservations at end of day.

Or, we could go with the conspiracy theories.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wangas View Post
    I wouldn't believe what you see on Chrono. Have a look on watchcharts (https://watchcharts.com/watch/649/ro...gauss-116400gv) and you'll see them up for sale between £8-10k. Even with duties of importing from the US it would be a lot cheaper than those ones on Chrono

I don’t think they differentiate between the blue and black dial on the watch charts. A lot of the example sales is the cheaper black one

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Every time you offer on an watch as a dealer, Ch24 automatically marks it as reserved either until its paid for or the offer expires. You have to go and manually undo the reservation after you've made the offer if you want to continue to offer it for sale. When youre dealing with 80 odd messages a day on the platform it can be easy to forget to go undo all the reservations at end of day.

Or, we could go with the conspiracy theories.
    Haha yes that is absolutely fair. Highlights my cynicism I suppose

Also I wouldn’t trust Watch charts blindly. It only used to take information from watchuseek and Reddit sales. Operated by a now banned WUS member- Goddfree. Certainly a useful tool but not sure is the final word.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Diemen View Post
    Having little to do last night I entered my watch collection details to see what it would come up with. Well, result was an eye watering high valuation that just can't be right in a sane world (much as I maybe would like it to be!)

Master
    I tend to ignore the absolute values, but the chrono graphs are useful in looking at longer term trends IMO. For example, look at the BLNR 116710, it shot up after discontinue. There was then a dip some time later before more price growth recently. From what I remember, this is what happened in reality.

Grand Master
    Not having to distribute to a landmass like Russia anymore will get a bit more stock into Europe

RIAC

Master
    Not having to distribute to a landmass like Russia anymore will get a bit more stock into Europe

You might see a few more used ones as the rich Russian owners will have their bank accounts frozen if you believe what boris says

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael 38 View Post
    You might see a few more used ones as the rich Russian owners will have their bank accounts frozen if you believe what boris says
    Few super yachts for sale soon, but you'll probably need to be a Russian oligarch to afford them. Oh hang on........
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.