closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gordon’s 0%

Craftsman

Gordon’s 0%

Has anybody tried this yet? My experience of 0% beer and wine has been so poor that I’’’d rather have a normal soft drink when driving or whatever.
    (understood it is not distilled gin in any form)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by ALindsay; 19th January 2022 at 10:38.

Craftsman
    It's a little on sweet side like most 0% alcohol drinks, but I'd say it's a very good alternative to gin. Of course the warmth of alcohol will be lacking...

As for 0% beers, I've found Heineken as the closest match so far, Peroni also isn't bad.

Nothing in the wine department yet, all's too sweet for my liking.

Master
    Not impressed with it to be honest.

I have ordered the tanqueray based on a comment from Saturday Kitchen about it using the same botanicals and tasting so good vs the others.

I also came across Atopia Spiced Citrus on Waitrose at the weekend, which has knocked Seedlip off the top spot until the arrival of the tanqueray.

Master
    I did try an alcohol free gin substitute about a year ago, but it was vile - had a certain detergent quality. Amplify, it was called. I don't bother with alcohol free beer now but I used to like the Becks one.

Saturday Kitchen recommended Tanqueray alcohol free, but it sold out almost instantly. I bought Gordons 0.0% instead and it's not bad.

Beer wise, Brewdog Punk AF is a cracking drink. Apart from not making you drunk, it's hard to tell it's alcohol free. It's a genuine adult soft drink that you'd chose to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Saturday Kitchen recommended Tanqueray alcohol free, but it sold out almost instantly. I bought Gordons 0.0% instead and it's not bad.

Beer wise, Brewdog Punk AF is a cracking drink. Apart from not making you drunk, it's hard to tell it's alcohol free. It's a genuine adult soft drink that you'd chose to drink.
    I’ve been looking at the Brewdog so will give it a go. Offer on at the moment as well I’ve just noticed.

I’m intrigued to try the gin option.

Guinness 0% is pretty good too, just can’t buy it anywhere at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordon's 0% is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I’m intrigued to try the gin option.

Guinness 0% is pretty good too, just can’t buy it anywhere at the moment.

Wasn’t aware Guinness done one also. My main drink of choice. In stock online with a few supermarkets it appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Wasn’t aware Guinness done one also. My main drink of choice. In stock online with a few supermarkets it appears.
    I was impressed, but I haven’t done a side by side comparisons.

Yes I was getting it in our delivery but it hasn’t been available since about November. I went for a look in Tesco a few weeks back and they didn’t have either.

Worth hunting down I’d suggest.

I drink Heineken 0 beer some evenings. Only a can or two when I fancy a beer and am trying to avoid it. Its a good alternative but I think the slight non beer taste would get sickly after anything more than a few. They are starting to try it draught now in pubs, only about 5 so far, it would be ideal if out for a meal and driving.
    I've never tried alcohol free gin, I think I'd rather just have a quality lightly flavoured tonic water with a couple of blueberries in.

Master
    We’ve tried a good number of 0% gins and the Tanquery was easily the best. Some as refreshing but not Gin.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    I was impressed, but I haven’t done a side by side comparisons.

Yes I was getting it in our delivery but it hasn’t been available since about November. I went for a look in Tesco a few weeks back and they didn’t have either.

Worth hunting down I’d suggest.

Just read several reviews including side by side which were favourable.

Not a gin drinker but on the beer front I found the AF Becks and Heineken nasty, but Brewdog AF is acceptable and Adnams GhostShip is really good (they were doing post free if order 2 boxes).

Interested, is 0% gin just an expensive cordial or brewed in same manner then alcohol removed?

Master
    Bought a bottle of the Tanqueray before Christmas - I tried it neat out of curiosity and it tasted weird and nothing like the real thing, but with a mixer it was pretty convincing. The only obvious difference was the lack of viscosity.

Gordon’s 0%

Just don’t see the point of 0% gin. You are basically adding flavoured sweetened water to your tonic! I see these as very much Emperor’s new clothes and a bit of a swizz with their pricing!

You can get the same effect through using either flavoured tonics or adding juniper flavourings to tonic as that is generally the biggest missing flavour after the alcohol and it is the tonic that gives the dryness to the GnT.

You will save a fortune!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Not impressed with it to be honest.

I have ordered the tanqueray based on a comment from Saturday Kitchen about it using the same botanicals and tasting so good vs the others.

I also came across Atopia Spiced Citrus on Waitrose at the weekend, which has knocked Seedlip off the top spot until the arrival of the tanqueray.
    I will be interested to see what you think, I am a fan of Seedlip and Atopia as non-alcoholic "adult" drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Just don’t see the point of 0% gin. You are basically adding flavoured sweetened water to your tonic! I see these as very much Emperor’s new clothes and a bit of a swizz with their pricing!

You can get the same effect through using either flavoured tonics or adding juniper flavourings to tonic as that is generally the biggest missing flavour after the alcohol and it is the tonic that gives the dryness to the GnT.

You will save a fortune!
    Spot on, just why....it's consumption/ expense to no end, I don't get it.

Master
    So the unleaded versions cost similar to the leaded version?

Pint of beer & 50/50 shandy same price, pint of coke £4.50+ no incentive to go AF?

Craftsman
    I’ve gone through a lot of 0% beers and my favourite by far is Free Damm. Not yet tried the 0% gin though!

Master
    I've tried a few o% "spirits." Not convinced. If I want a new zero alcohol G&T style, then a dash of angostura bitters in a tonic is good enough. I drink the occasional zero alcohol beers. Brewdog AF and Free Damm are the best I've had but I've want more that one can. Same with alcohol free wine, most are too sweet. Eins Zwei Zero Riesling is the best I've tasted, but expensive for what it i.

Apprentice
    Surely you'd just drink flavoured tonic water if you don't want the alcohol ?

Lucky Saint and Smashed Pale by Drynks (as seen on Dragons Den) are the best Alcohol Free Beers I've tried by far. They are genuinely enjoyable to drink. Consequently they aren't the cheapest but Lucky Saint have been sending me money off vouchers since I started purchasing from their website.

Brewdog AF beers are excellent value if you buy in bulk from their website (especially when on offer). Punk AF and Lost AF are ok but my favourite is Nanny State, it's darker and more bitter and is only 20 calories / 4g carbs per can so great for losing weight.

I want to try 0% gin at some point but reviews are mixed. I quite like the bitter lemon taste of just tonic on it's own though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonH View Post
    I will be interested to see what you think, I am a fan of Seedlip and Atopia as non-alcoholic "adult" drinks.
    They are rather good. Based on the availability comment above, I will tick not to get a substitute as I have only nearly finished the Gordon’s one & do not want another.

not sure what artificial flavourings would be in 0% gin , gin contains alot of oils (juniper mainly) , the alchohol holds them in suspension.

If I had to go virgin, I’d want just a decent tonic plus ice, slice and maybe a dash of Angostura.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    It’s horrible.

Alcohol free ‘alcoholic’ drinks are always horrible. They are either far too sweet or have all sorts of chemical/detergent aftertastes. BrewDog AF is the closest to acceptable I’ve had but In the way that eating a dead rat is more acceptable than eating a dead rat teeming with maggots.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Not a gin drinker but on the beer front I found the AF Becks and Heineken nasty, but Brewdog AF is acceptable and Adnams GhostShip is really good (they were doing post free if order 2 boxes).

Interested, is 0% gin just an expensive cordial or brewed in same manner then alcohol removed?
    Another vote for GhostShip although it does have 0.5% alcohol. It taste is very close to the normal version when I tried them back to back.

Grand Master
    When 0% alcohol first hit the pubs or stores it wasnt a drink
    I enjoyed.
    Things have changed and the ones Ive tried recently are perfectly palatable.

IMO and my tastebuds you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I’ve gone through a lot of 0% beers and my favourite by far is Free Damm. Not yet tried the 0% gin though!

Wait, don't go yet. I need to tell you that this meassage was sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Yup that's right, I own an iPhone and use Tapatalk, fascinating isn't it. I just felt you should know that.
    That one's not bad. BIt's a bit fizzy, but its better than Brewdog, but then that could be because I don't generally like Bewdog beers.

Try Brooklyn Special Effects, its really very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    It’s horrible.

Alcohol free ‘alcoholic’ drinks are always horrible. They are either far too sweet or have all sorts of chemical/detergent aftertastes. BrewDog AF is the closest to acceptable I’ve had but In the way that eating a dead rat is more acceptable than eating a dead rat teeming with maggots.
    Have you tried Lucky Saint or Smashed Pale? They're in a completely different league to Brewdog AF.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    So the unleaded versions cost similar to the leaded version?

Pint of beer & 50/50 shandy same price, pint of coke £4.50+ no incentive to go AF?
    Annoys me that. Tesco have a German AF lager called “Lucky Saint” on offer. £1 for a 33cl bottle. Normal price allegedly £1.80 so £3 a pint!

Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    Have you tried Lucky Saint or Smashed Pale? They're in a completely different league to Brewdog AF.
    Yes i've found the Smashed AF very good, nice taste. The Brewdog AF offering i thought was disgusting!

If anyone drinks the Smashed products you might like the Sainte Etienne 500 ml bottle from Aldi, its taste is very similar - great value too at 89p.

I have tried quite a few 0% brews, and so far have found the San Miguel to be the best tasting... But of course nothing beats the real deal.

Can also recommend the Aldi lager as well as their pilsner. Surprisingly good for the cost

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    To be fair I haven’t but then I don’t really make a great effort to try that many alcohol free beers as I don’t really see the point. It’s a bit like having a vegetarian sausage.If I want a beer I want a beer. If I don’t want a beer I’ll have something soft.

Quote Originally Posted by AberBoy View Post
    Surely you'd just drink flavoured tonic water if you don't want the alcohol ?
    Spot on.
    A few ice cubes, with a good quality tonic water plus a splash of Angastura Bitters works perfectly.
    No stupid prices either....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Try Chino, Sanbitter dry, crodino, etc.
    If you like campari or very dry drinks you may be quite impressed with Sanbitter dry.

Of the gin type waters, I only have seedlip and it's ok when mixed with a good low sugar tonic like fevertree naturally light (blue/silver bottle). The lower sugar makes a more grownup drink and allows the seedlip to speak a little louder.

The only Gordon's worth drinking is yellow bottle 48% export. Since most of their gin is so vile, why go for a 0% version, their products seem to be progressively worse the less alcohol they contain
    Last edited by jmitch; 20th January 2022 at 01:33.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Gordon’s is absolutely crap, also why does it cost as much as the real thing, after all there is no alcohol so no duty.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    If I had to go virgin, I’d want just a decent tonic plus ice, slice and maybe a dash of Angostura.
    That is one of my defaults too. Lovely drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Spot on.
    A few ice cubes, with a good quality tonic water plus a splash of Angastura Bitters works perfectly.
    I never thought about just bitters and tonic, but I know exactly what I'm gonna be trying later this evening.

... Or why wait! Why not have one at the desk in the office this morning since it is alcohol free. Surely my clients won't mind.

Spot on.
    This 100%.

I add a wedge of lime in mine too.
    You are still aware the gin isn't there, but it is a pretty decent AF alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by uptheaddicks View Post
    Another vote for GhostShip although it does have 0.5% alcohol. It taste is very close to the normal version when I tried them back to back.
    Agreed - This and Erdinger Alkoholfrei (Again listed as 0.5%, but I think that's just because the process makes 0% impossible to guarantee - I recall as a kid a can of 'Shandy' was 0.5%, but a soft drink I could buy) are the two I drink.

Alcohol-free Guinness is decent - It doesn't taste exactly like the alcohol stuff, but it's not unpleasant and I'm not sure I could tell which I was drinking if someone just gave me a pint. They claim to brew it as alcohol full and then remove the alcohol with some kind of filtration.

Lagers, in my experience, aren't great in alcohol-free form.

AF beers don't taste exactly like their alcoholic brethren, but they are a lot better than they used to be and I prefer the drinking experience to the usual soft drinks, personally.

I don't like gin, though, so can't really comment on that.

M
    Last edited by snowman; 1st February 2022 at 13:13.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Spot on.
    In a similar vein...

While out at the weekend, a friend who was driving ordered an interesting drink. Whilst it's no good for those abstaining altogether, it's great for those who want a really low abv drink.

A dash (2.5ml of 50%ABV) of angastura bitters
    A dash (2.5ml of 40% ABV)
    A large bottle of decent tonic.

The little dashes give the aromas and feel of a proper grownup drink, but it works out at 2.25ml of alcohol, less than a quarter of a unit.

An interesting alternative I thought, after all, much of the taste we enjoy us actually driven by the aromas anyway.

When your friendly local barman refuses to make one based on reference to the weights and measures act and says that spirits can only be sold in 25/35ml and multiples thereof, do remind him that a mixture of 3 or more liquids is a cocktail, and therefore can be freepoured and is not covered by the 25/35ml regulations.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    In a similar vein...

While out at the weekend, a friend who was driving ordered an interesting drink. Whilst it's no good for those abstaining altogether, it's great for those who want a really low abv drink.

The little dashes give the aromas and feel of a proper grownup drink, but it works out at 2.25ml of alcohol, less than a quarter of a unit.

An interesting alternative I thought, after all, much of the taste we enjoy us actually driven by the aromas anyway.

When your friendly local barman refuses to make one based on reference to the weights and measures act and says that spirits can only be sold in 25/35ml and multiples thereof, do remind him that a mixture of 3 or more liquids is a cocktail, and therefore can be freepoured and is not covered by the 25/35ml regulations.
    I think my barman will tell me where to get off lol. Interesting idea, am going to try it later.

Master
    Anybody know why alcohol free gin is only sold to over 18s ?

Why an adult signature required for delivery, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    In a similar vein...

I drank something similar at the weekend, bitters and soda. A few dashes of angastura and a few dashes of orange bitters, ice, slice and soda water. Not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    Anybody know why alcohol free gin is only sold to over 18s ?

Why an adult signature required for delivery, etc.
    Odd isn't it? I had to wait at a self-service checkout for someone to OK my purchase of alcohol-free beer once...

I guess it's simply that the seller categorizes it as alcohol, even though it isn't!

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

My wife ordered a Seedsmith Gin and Tonic at a restaurant last weekend. Couldn’t believe they charged £6.95 for what was pretty much a bad tasting cordial. Utter con!

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Odd isn't it? I had to wait at a self-service checkout for someone to OK my purchase of alcohol-free beer once...

I guess it's simply that the seller categorizes it as alcohol, even though it isn't!

M
    It’s the same for energy drinks. I had to get authorisation for an interesting looking polish drink in a Tesco. I thought it was just vitamins and minerals. Turned out it had caffeine in it so flagged as age checked.

Cheers, Shaun