closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tumble dryer woes

Tumble dryer woes

Apologies for the dull post but our condenser dryer has packed in

Looking at heat pump options, but getting mixed reviews about drying times and the actual ability to dry clothes properly.

Anyone got one they would recommend, ideally with a drain and quiet running. Getting a lot of grief for the lack of drying facility at the moment, so time is of the essence!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a Haier one came from AO.Com on a special deal works well better than the previous one

https://ao.com/product/hd80a636-haie...73269-126.aspx

Think it’s this one, my wife says the best one she has used

Master
    My Mrs has a vented one for the only reason they are by far the quickest at drying.
    Some of the printed info from companies differs from real life use - ala diesel gate.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    ... my wife says the best one she has used
    Quote Originally Posted by g40steve View Post
    My Mrs has a vented one...

Priceless! Do your wives iron all your shirts as well?

Master
    I bought an indesit heat pump one about 18 months ago and regretted it since. Certainly no where near as good as my old beco condensing one. I do think though to get them to work properly you need to have a warm room to start with as it seems to dry far better in the summertime. Only 1 program the jeans one is the only one I use and takes hours. Would I buy another, certainly not !

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by eletos View Post
    Apologies for the dull post but our condenser dryer has packed in

Looking at heat pump options, but getting mixed reviews about drying times and the actual ability to dry clothes properly.

Anyone got one they would recommend, ideally with a drain and quiet running. Getting a lot of grief for the lack of drying facility at the moment, so time is of the essence!

Cheers

Get it repaired.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Get it repaired.
    Yeah, it’s a good shout. It’s probably only the main capacitor that’s gone.

Yeah, it’s a good shout. It’s probably only the main capacitor that’s gone.

We try to repair all our stuff and tend to buy better to begin with to make this easier. All our stuff is Miele. Our washing machine is from 2005/6! More economical in the long run and better for the environment.

Master
    Tumble driers usually pack up. Miele less so.

Cracked it open and the belt has gone. £9 for a new one! Bonus.

👍🏻

…and 2 hours taking it apart and fitting it.

Back up and running now!

Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    Tumble driers usually pack up. Miele less so.
    Yep, but you can buy 3 driers for the average cost of a Miele.

Master
    Thread resurrection.

I think our old vented tumble drier is tripping the RCD after about an hour so it may be time for a new one. This one has served us well - about 21 years.

Anyway, do people still buy vented tumble driers or are they being pushed towards the heat pump ones?

We just want nice and simple and already have the venting etc in place so a straightforward replacement would be good.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Priceless! Do your wives iron all your shirts as well?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thread resurrection.

I think our old vented tumble drier is tripping the RCD after about an hour so it may be time for a new one. This one has served us well - about 21 years.

Anyway, do people still buy vented tumble driers or are they being pushed towards the heat pump ones?

We just want nice and simple and already have the venting etc in place so a straightforward replacement would be good.

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Cheers
    Vented seemed less efficient vs a condenser when we we changed ours earlier in the year. Heat pump expensive depending on usage.

If you’ve got an EV tariff overnight, blah blah, but rather things on when I’m awake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Yep, but you can buy 3 driers for the average cost of a Miele.
    I have always bought Miele until last week. Miele sells on the principle of longevity, in other words, buy Miele - buy once or buy cheap - buy twice.

Two weeks ago, the dishwasher in Spain broke down. The Miele technician told me it would cost more to repair it than what it was worth and his advice was to scrap it. This was a bit annoying because there are just the two of us, so we use it lightly due to eating and drinking out a lot and we only use it 6 months a year

I scrapped it and bought a Bosch for just over one third of the Miele price.

My loyalty to Miele has been severely dented.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Vented seemed less efficient vs a condenser when we we changed ours earlier in the year. Heat pump expensive depending on usage.

If you’ve got an EV tariff overnight, blah blah, but rather things on when I’m awake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    No EV overnight tariff here.

Vented might be less efficient but they’re simpler to use as you don’t have to empty the water.

Our current one is a fairly simple Hotpoint. Not interested in things like app connectivity, NFC etc.

Don’t seem to be many vented ones available nowadays.

Master
    No EV overnight tariff here.

Vented might be less efficient but they’re simpler to use as you don’t have to empty the water.

Our current one is a fairly simple Hotpoint. Not interested in things like app connectivity, NFC etc.

Don’t seem to be many vented ones available nowadays.
    I quite like the app that pings me when it has finished the cycle as it’s in the garage. Has however started to message me in English and Italian for some reason.

Yes the vented options were low. We only have to empty the water every 5-6 uses so hardly an issue.

I quite like the app that pings me when it has finished the cycle as it’s in the garage. Has however started to message me in English and Italian for some reason.

Yes the vented options were low. We only have to empty the water every 5-6 uses so hardly an issue.

Yeah, and you certainly wouldn't want a once-through, vented one in the garage (in winter months). I'd hate to see the cost!

Maybe we’ve been lucky - but we’ve always bought cheap hotpoint washing machines and driers and they’ve lasted an average of 8 years. This in spite of the fact we have a disabled son which means the washer and drier get multiple use nearly every day. One of them - the latest - is now 8 years old and we’ve had it repaired under warranty just once. I’m amazed at the cost of some machines like Miele, and very much doubt they make any financial sense. Perhaps they just look cool in the utility room when friends are over for a meal?!? - we’ve had similar experiences with cheaper Bosch dishwashers, no issues - in fact I left the last one at the old house which had been running faultlessly for 15 years, this new one is 8 years old, same thing so far.

Master
    You can usually connect a condenser machine to your washing machine water waste pipe to avoid the need to have to empty the water tank.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    You can usually connect a condenser machine to your washing machine water waste pipe to avoid the need to have to empty the water tank.

That’s good to know. We’ve only ever had a vented one (and it’s lasted 21 years) so don’t know much about the condenser options.
    Do you have to find one that is specifically capable of doing that?
    Better have a look behind the washing machine and see how the waste is set up.

We've had a beko condenser for about 7 years now. It came with an optional overflow pipe which connects to the washer waste.
    I'm not going to tempt fate and comment on how good it is, as in the last 3 weeks we've had the induction hob, dishwasher, microwave and boiler pack up.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Having had to try & wrestle a neighbour's burning tumble dryer out of the kitchen I would never run one overnight or when I was out of the house.

We had a fire break out in our washing machine a few years ago. It was during the day so was caught and the fire service put it out but the smoke damage throughout the whole house was huge. The washer was located in the garage so I can’t imagine the fire and smoke damage had it been in the kitchen.

That’s why we never have any appliances on during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    Having had to try & wrestle a neighbour's burning tumble dryer out of the kitchen I would never run one overnight or when I was out of the house.

Tumble dryer woes

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    We had a fire break out in our washing machine a few years ago. It was during the day so was caught and the fire service put it out but the smoke damage throughout the whole house was huge. The washer was located in the garage so I can’t imagine the fire and smoke damage had it been in the kitchen.

That’s why we never have any appliances on during the night.
    At the time were all your house circuit protected by a modern RCD fuse box?

There are environmental impacts, such as risk of internal freezing that can be detrimental to safely locating your washing in a garage.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post

There are environmental impacts, such as risk of internal freezing that can be detrimental to safely locating your washing in a garage.
    Don't imagine an attached garage is going to freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Maybe not in Devon and Cornwall. A potentially different matter in NE England and Scotland.

Maybe not in Devon and Cornwall. A potentially different matter in NE England and Scotland.
    I doubt it and what other enviromental impacts are there?

I doubt it and what other enviromental impacts are there?
    I would worry less about running electrical appliances anywhere overnight as long as you have a modern up to date fuse box with RCD protection.

I run mine overnight as I have just had the fuse box updated. Not sure I would if I didn’t have RCD, as they do assist with prevention of electrical fires.

Master

You are quite right. During last winter cold(est) snap the water feed froze on our Daughter's Bosch washer which was located in the attached garage. I had to install an oil heater to keep it above freezing.

Our garage is attached and never that cold. The fuse box dose have RCD protection.

Master
    I would worry less about running electrical appliances anywhere overnight as long as you have a modern up to date fuse box with RCD protection.

I run mine overnight as I have just had the fuse box updated. Not sure I would if I didn’t have RCD, as they do assist with prevention of electrical fires.
    Am still not happy with running it overnight / when out even with a new consumer unit installed when the kitchen was redone.

We had a dining room light make a loud bang while we were eating & plunged that room into darkness - the transformer inside gave up the ghost big time, singe on the ceiling. RCD was perfectly happy minding its own business & didn't trip from it; very strange given the whole house was inspected as part of the sign off of work.

Some googling info.

Ours froze in North Norfolk - there’s a water source in there for attaching a hose pipe to wash the car etc. froze solid, luckily it has a localised stopcock when nearby pipework burst - although it soaked me to the skin in the process. All thanks to the beast from the east as they called it that year!

Master
    That’s good to know. We’ve only ever had a vented one (and it’s lasted 21 years) so don’t know much about the condenser options.
    Do you have to find one that is specifically capable of doing that?
    Better have a look behind the washing machine and see how the waste is set up.
    I think most are capable. It takes a few short minutes to disconnect the pipe to water container and reconnect to a longer pipe to reach the waste pipe. I’ve had mine for 8 years, with, touch wood, no snags.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I think most are capable. It takes a few short minutes to disconnect the pipe to water container and reconnect to a longer pipe to reach the waste pipe. I’ve had mine for 8 years, with, touch wood, no snags.

You have just reminded me what the random bit of pipe I found in the garage at the weekend is lol.

Needs to be connected to proper drainage vs just being drained to outside doesn’t it? Rules is out using it as there is literally zero pipework within 15m of the machine.