closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grappling talk to me.

Craftsman

Grappling talk to me.

Anyone do any grappling sports? Bjj, sambo, judo? Recently rekindled my love for no-gi jiu jitsu. Some really great training to be had in London and some reasonable priced gyms too if you avoid the RGB gyms.

The UK is producing some amazing talent also.

So do you grapple, if so where and what style.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Only with the missus.

Quote Originally Posted by eoghan101 View Post
    The UK is producing some amazing talent also.

Like who?

You on dat Lee Murray time, op?

Last edited by studly; 9th January 2022 at 02:45.

Craftsman
    Judo, although I haven't done it since the pandemic closed the club down. It's back up and running and has been for a while.
    I recently turned 49 and my back and other injuries are thanking me for not doing Judo.

I used to do a lot of judo and had a session with Geof Gleeson once. Needless to say I got floored in seconds 🥋 I could barely move him his centre of gravity shifted so quick, think he was 7th Dan.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Like who?

You on dat Lee Murray time, op?

Wouldn't really consider Lee Murray a grappler. In terms of top talent. Eoghan O' Flanagan, Ross Nichols, Jed Hue, Daniel Strauss to name a few. Also prospects like Hejrat Rasheed who came fourth in the September adcc trials.

Last edited by eoghan101; 9th January 2022 at 14:15.

Judo though it´s been years since I was on the tatami...My 11 yr old boy likes a wrestle so I´m introducing a few of the basics to our impromptu sessions.

Craftsman
    Huge MMA & combat sports in general Fan. UFC and Bellator are only sports I follow religiously. I normally train MMA once a week, but have been injured. I was actually on look out for dedicated BJJ lessons. Found a couple in Kingston that I’m interested in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My daughter did judo from 5 till her late teens, then she gave it up because of her studies. When she went to university she took up kendo, now she is the club president for the university.

- - - Updated - - -

My daughter did judo from 5 till her late teens, then she gave it up because of her studies. When she went to university she took up kendo, now she is the club president for the university.

I did Karate as a kid and moved on to boxing, then no-gi Jiu Jitsu (10th Planet) recently, but before I could get a meaningful start, packed it in when the pandemic hit. Looking forward to going back once I shed the extra timber I've piled on.

I'm over in the East side of London, any recommended gyms? Folks in this thread seem much better versed on the topic than I do!

Master
    I did Judo as a "tubby" kid, being bullied. After launching the largest of the bullies over my shoulder and into a jibbering heap on the school playground, I never had any further trouble. I ended up doing Judo displays for my team and as a teenager, learned to use my "powers" sensibly! "Superman" I am not but the training never leaves you.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dice View Post
    I did Karate as a kid and moved on to boxing, then no-gi Jiu Jitsu (10th Planet) recently, but before I could get a meaningful start, packed it in when the pandemic hit. Looking forward to going back once I shed the extra timber I've piled on.

I'm over in the East side of London, any recommended gyms? Folks in this thread seem much better versed on the topic than I do!
    Depends how east you are. Diesel gym 10p is good. London Grapple in Deptford is top quality. Apex near Finsbury park is also very good. A bit further north Mill hill jiu jitsu is also great. Kodokan seems also to he pretty decent looking at competition results but seems a bit on the pricy side.

Although jiu jitsu in general is not cheap.

My young fella also Cora's trains jiu jitsu and judo. He likes them both but has a preference toward jiu jitsu at the moment.

Incidentally we also do kendo together. Not really anything like the above and incredibly difficult in its own right, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Craftsman
    I'm about 3 months into my BJJ journey. Started late in life at 46 but I'm loving it so far.

Feels like I'm just getting over that initial period of WTF am I doing as having done a lot of Thai Boxing and stand up combat sports I've never done any grappling before. With grappling you need to have proper think about what you're doing/your opponent is doing versus with stand up you can get away with throwing more shots harder and faster and just getting fitter. BJJ is definitely a thinking man's sport - expect to lose a lot when you first start!

It's expensive compared to Muay Thai, but I feel worth it. Can't wait until I'm a couple of years in.