closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car Battery Question

Master

Car Battery Question

Hello,

I have discovered that my elderly father is calling out the AA every month or so because his car battery keeps dying, since he rarely uses his car and only for short 2 mile trips. He is vulnerable and does need his car.

He has an old Peugeot 307 ('04 plate).

He doesn't want to take it to Peugeot for a full diagnostic (to check for electrical drains) due to the cost.

Assuming it's just lack of use, I thought about installing a permanently wired trickle charger, but I have absolutely no idea how to go about this (or if it would help given we get so little sun).

Car is parked in a communal apartment car park, so isn't secure. Also, he cant be opening the bonnet to connect / disconnect every time he wants to use the car, so needs to be a simple permanently wired solution.

Any suggestions? Do we happen to have any mechanics here familiar with the 307?

Alternative will be to buy him a new small car, but that seems drastic and he's attached to this car!

Thanks.

Craftsman
    Ctek charger if you have access to mains https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...4v/car-charger

Otherwise you are probably looking at a solar panel https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/produc...-chargers-2021

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    Ctek charger if you have access to mains https://www.ctek.com/uk/battery-char...4v/car-charger

Otherwise you are probably looking at a solar panel https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/produc...-chargers-2021
    If the battery is older than 5 years get a new one as well and buy a decent brand like Bosch or Varta https://www.tayna.co.uk/

Master
    Forgot to mention, it was replaced May 2020 (Halfords).

Halfords, I suspect, will not be helpful as they'll say it's lack of use.

I have a reconditioner which I will use on it this weekend, but would like a solar trickle charger to stop it happening again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    If the battery is older than 5 years get a new one as well and buy a decent brand like Bosch or Varta https://www.tayna.co.uk/
    I have been informed Varta make the batteries for Bosch & it’s just branding, may have been told fibs though.

OP another recommendation for CTEK if he has mains, I have just hard wired one to my car and now just need to connect a cable when I park it up.

There are other comfort options available such as one that plugs into the cigarette lighter - assuming it stays live when the ignition is off.

I think a solar will genuinely struggle over the winter months. I’ve just had to replace my battery through age & low usage. Am hoping the solenoid that is getting replaced on Tuesday also solves another issue which was again caused by low usage.

Craftsman
    I think if that was me, I'd sell the car, use taxis for my occasional local trips, and rent out my car parking space to supplement my pension ! Extra money also saved on car insurance, road tax, MOT, repairs, battery charging etc etc

Good luck with finding a fix.

Using the car on short trips, and long periods standing- will always be a problem.

Vent fan on high-speed, heated rear window and high current draw by the starter with no time to recharge from the alternator.

Not sure if those trickle-chargers fed from solar panels are much good, especially in winter months. Going for a decent run inbetween his short trips might be the answer.

Of course - there may also be a current drain when not in use - someone handy with an inline digital multimeter reading current, would show if that was occurring.

O.K. lets go through the basic battery / charging checks .
    First set your multi meter to the 20 volt setting .
    Now the first test is on the battery itself ,with everything off a healthy battery should read between 12.3 and 13.5 volts .
    Next while cranking the engine over the reading should not fall below 8 volts anything below this and the battery is done .
    At steady running the reading needs to be between 13.2 and 14.8 volts ,should the reading go higher then 14.8 volts means the regulator is at fault. If the reading is less then13.2 volts shows the alternator is defective .
    Now with everything switched on on ,air con ,lights ,radio etc , the reading should be over 13.2 volts .

Craftsman
    The alternative option of buying a new car sounds drastic.

I would consider fitting a bigger stronger battery with a 5yr warranty, assuming these would be able to handle the limited use better.

I would also consider getting it checked for battery drain. I have an older car which currently sits for weeks without being used but still starts without fail.

The current cold weather is probably not helping to much either.

Information seen on a car forum I visit.

From Century batteries:
    12.6V volts or above - Your battery is healthy and fully charged. No further action is required.
    12.5 volts - Your battery is at a healthy state of charge, but we'd recommend re-checking it within a few days to ensure the voltage hasn't dropped any further.
    12.1 - 12.4 volts - Your battery is partially discharged and should be recharged as soon as possible, using a suitable battery charger. The lifespan of your battery will be moderately affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.
    12.0 volts or below - At 12.0 volts your battery is considered to be fully discharged or 'flat' and should be recharged as soon as possible. The lifespan of your battery will be severely affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.

From elsewhere:
    "A "12V car battery can loose 1/10 V in 24 hours"

That means in 10 days it could be down 1V and then see above!

Craftsman
    A battery that has gone completely flat or not able to crank the car will already be capacity compromised.

that is the issue with not having a safe place to leave your own car charging or being too old to take the battery out and charge it indoors.

there is no easy fix that i know of, people run extention leads to the car to charge them regularly if not using the car for long period.

i hope you sort something out though

Master
    The battery has a guarantee presumably so go back to Halfords get a new battery from them and buy an Oxford oximiser, optimate or similar device and keep the new battery on that

Blog Entries
    New battery required.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I think if that was me, I'd sell the car, use taxis for my occasional local trips, and rent out my car parking space to supplement my pension ! Extra money also saved on car insurance, road tax, MOT, repairs, battery charging etc etc

Good luck with finding a fix.
    Just done this with an elderley relative(apart from renting out parking space)...set up an account with local taxi firm and working out much cheaper than running a car.

Master
    Sounds like a new battery and then a solar charger is the answer if they want to keep the car.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

If a car is essential and this solution is affordable, this is a use case crying out for a small electric car. It may be a sledgehammer to crack a nut but a great long-term solution.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    O.K. lets go through the basic battery / charging checks .
    First set your multi meter to the 20 volt setting .
    Now the first test is on the battery itself ,with everything off a healthy battery should read between 12.3 and 13.5 volts .
    Next while cranking the engine over the reading should not fall below 8 volts anything below this and the battery is done .
    At steady running the reading needs to be between 13.2 and 14.8 volts ,should the reading go higher then 14.8 volts means the regulator is at fault. If the reading is less then13.2 volts shows the alternator is defective .
    Now with everything switched on on ,air con ,lights ,radio etc , the reading should be over 13.2 volts .
    That's some great general advice right there, especially the bit about cranking the engine as a lot of people don't put the battery under load when measuring the voltage.

Master
    Before you buy owt new get some stuff checked,
    Is battery faulty
    Is there a parasitic drain, stuff like under Bonnet light or light in boot not going off will kill the brand new battery you fit tomorrow
    Is alternator whirling out the electrons,

Ring a mobile or goto a proper auto sparks, not crap fit or halfrauds.

Does the above voltage statements apply to modern batteries?

The battery in my car when fully charged only shows 12.4v, the car complains when it gets to 11.9v.

Master
    I’m no expert but even with little use I would have thought the battery should last longer than that and I’d suspect as has been said it may have a parasitic drain - I had this on a Ka my daughter had. Turned out it was a bad earth

I'm assuming he's not local to you? If he were, I would visit and take it for a blast down the motorway once in a while.

Just done that with one of my own cars. I do about 1k per year. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Fender View Post
    I'm assuming he's not local to you? If he were, I would visit and take it for a blast down the motorway once in a while.

Just done that with one of my own cars. I do about 1k per year. :D
    This ^^^ could you get on his insurance and driver to his in your car and use his for the odd day to keep it charged?

Blog Entries
    The better half's car had this problem. She only uses it for short journeys couple times a week. Battery was flat so took it to the Ford dealer as it was only just over a year old. They said the battery was fine and they had charged it. Same thing happened. They charged it again and said it was short journeys causing the problem. Having some experience with car batteries I didn't think this would be the case. Took it to a battery wholesaler I know and he put his tester on it. Faulty. Took it to another Ford dealer who checked the battery and said it was faulty, replaced under warranty. Car has done short journeys couple times a week for 4 years since and never failed to start first time. Modern high output charging systems don't need long to top up the charge lost from starting. Even on an '04 it's probably 90a-150a.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Journeyman
    Or get a lithium battery. Does not lose its charge if left i am told