closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Home removal services in London

Home removal services in London

We're moving home next month and wondered if anyone had any good recommendations for removal companies in London/East London?

Last time we moved it was all done in a transit van from a studio flat to our current 2-bed terrace house. Now we have two kids and tons more stuff.

I want it to be as stress free as possible so furniture disassembly/assembly would be good.

Any other hints and tips, or things I need to be aware of/look out for?

TIA

Master
    Lol
    A stress free move-one of the most stressful days you will ever have.
    Good luck with it John.
    I have previously used Pickfords who were good I have to say.
    That was 20 yrs ago though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Lol
    A stress free move-one of the most stressful days you will ever have.
    Good luck with it John.
    I have previously used Pickfords who were good I have to say.
    That was 20 yrs ago though.

Ha, thanks mate. I've been losing sleep over it since September when the offer was accepted.

What the hell do we do with the cat on the day?

Master
    Cattery for a few days either side?

Unfortunately money talks. Get some quotes in (see the ones who come as opposed to those who ask for a video) and trust your instincts.
    Yesterday’s recommendation is just that. You can save a lot by being more proactive in your move, and there is a lot of merit in packing yourself what is dear to you.
    Read the insurance contract very carefully.
    Remember your home insurance may provide some coverage. Start by giving them a call to understand the additional coverage you need instead of just signing what the movers give you.
    Pickfords still have a decent reputation. At the other end of the budget scale you may look into Anyvan for example. No affiliation with either but I used to work in the sector.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    We used GB Liners for our last move in NE London, but that was 8 years ago. That included packing and furniture disassembly and assembly and they did a good job of that. They underestimated how much stuff we had though and forgot that we were moving to a big 3 storey townhouse so things took longer than expected and they had to ask for another 4 men to be sent over to help during the day when it became apparent that they would not finish on time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    We have considered that but wondered if it might be more traumatic than keeping her in one room in the new house? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Unfortunately money talks. Get some quotes in (see the ones who come as opposed to those who ask for a video) and trust your instincts.
    Yesterday’s recommendation is just that. You can save a lot by being more proactive in your move, and there is a lot of merit in packing yourself what is dear to you.
    Read the insurance contract very carefully.
    Remember your home insurance may provide some coverage. Start by giving them a call to understand the additional coverage you need instead of just signing what the movers give you.
    Pickfords still have a decent reputation. At the other end of the budget scale you may look into Anyvan for example. No affiliation with either but I used to work in the sector.
    Sage advice, thank you.

Luckily we have nothing of any real value except ourselves and my watches, which will be sticking closely with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Sage advice, thank you.

Luckily we have nothing of any real value except ourselves and my watches, which will be sticking closely with me.
    I was thinking more of things that money cannot replace, that have a sentimental value.

I was thinking more of things that money cannot replace, that have a sentimental value.

Luckily we have none of those either.

We moved the week before Xmas
    We are on the other side of London but used Ecowood Moves they are owned by a mate of a mate.
    Frank and his team are fantastic, dismantled all furniture and put it back together again
    Wrapped and boxed all the stuff we did not, took the packing material away after. They were really good.
    Made our lives so much easier
    He only has a small team and a few Lutons but you get a more personal service.
    Happy to PM you their contact details if you want but as I say they mainly serve west and north London I think
    They may be happy to come over though
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th January 2022 at 15:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    We moved the week before Xmas
    We are on the other side of London but used Ecowood Moves they are owned by a mate of a mate.
    Frank and his team are fantastic, dismantled all furniture and put it back together again
    Wrapped and boxed all the stuff we did not, took the packing material away after. They were really good.
    Made our lives so much easier
    He only has a small team and a few Lutons but you get a more personal service.
    Happy to PM you their contact details if you want but as I say they mainly serve west and north London I think
    They may be happy to come over though
    They sound ideal. If you can PM me please, it can't hurt to ask him.

I keep trying to envisage what our stuff looks like in boxed-up form and sometimes I think we'll need a truck and sometimes I think two transits will do it? I need an expert to come round and advise.

They sound ideal. If you can PM me please, it can't hurt to ask him.

I keep trying to envisage what our stuff looks like in boxed-up form and sometimes I think we'll need a truck and sometimes I think two transits will do it? I need an expert to come round and advise.
    Cool PM is on its way.

Master
    Blog Entries
    We used MGR removals for our move from Pinner - all the usual services (packing, dismantling and reassembling furniture etc) and generally very helpful.

https://www.mgr-removals.co.uk/contact-us/

If you run out of quotes we used Trux in Cuffley and they were great.

https://www.truxremovals.co.uk/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    “ We have considered that but wondered if it might be more traumatic than keeping her in one room in the new house? Probably not. ”

Not the same but with our hounds we did the kennels either side of the move and having a cat in new surroundings in a room is just IMO potentially more stress.Get settled and organised first.
    Good luck
    Last edited by mart broad; 5th January 2022 at 19:18.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    We used GB Liners for our last move in NE London, but that was 8 years ago. That included packing and furniture disassembly and assembly and they did a good job of that. They underestimated how much stuff we had though and forgot that we were moving to a big 3 storey townhouse so things took longer than expected and they had to ask for another 4 men to be sent over to help during the day when it became apparent that they would not finish on time!

I was going to recommend the exact same company. Used them just over a year ago and they were absolutely superb. Really great office staff and moving team on the day.

Very happy with our removal guys with J.A. Steel & Son from NW London to W London in July.
    Mid-priced but fully insured and registered with the relevant authorities etc.
    Fully packed for us the day before and the last crucial bits on the morning of the move and had us moved over on one of the hottest days of the year.
    Really nice group of chaps, polite and conscientious.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    “ We have considered that but wondered if it might be more traumatic than keeping her in one room in the new house? Probably not. ”

Not the same but with our hounds we did the kennels either side of the move and having a cat in new surroundings in a room is just IMO potentially more stress.Get settled and organised first.
    Good luck
    I definitely think the cattery is less stressful as they won't be around to pick up on your stress and you won't get stressed about the risk of escape. Plus it may help with the transition and forgetting the old place. Don't forget to keep it in for whatever the recommended time is these days.

Wrt to watches, you don't want to be worrying where they are all the time either. Do you have relatives / friends locally you could leave them with for 24h?

Hello mate,

Have just moved into our first purchased property in September (2 bed flat) from east to North London.

We used these guys: sales@affordableremovalsltd.co.uk

Couple of friends used them and honestly the best I’ve used in London (been moving every year / year and a half with the misses ). This was the most stress free move I’ve done so highly recommend them. The guys that came were super helpful/careful with your contents.

Ask for Tia and say Seb sent you and they’ll give you a discount.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DigitalSeb; 6th January 2022 at 09:32.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. Food for thought.

I'm now sold on the cattery idea but the wife isn't. Let battle commence.

Just to update this thread if anyone is interested.

Had the first quote in … Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey… £2700 to move a 2-bed terrace just up the road? And that's with us packing a good 70% of the stuff. There are three items of furniture to disassemble and reassemble, and as for the breakables, there are about 5 lamps and 10 glasses and that's it.

It seems an awful lot of money for a day's work.

How does this compare to other's experiences?

Had the first quote in … Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey… £2700 to move a 2-bed terrace just up the road? And that's with us packing a good 70% of the stuff. There are three items of furniture to disassemble and reassemble, and as for the breakables, there are about 5 lamps and 10 glasses and that's it.

They guys I used (I presume they would not come your way) before Xmas were a similar number just minus the £2000!
    It was less than £700 for 4 blokes, 3 Luton’s
    That was mates rates though.

Try https://www.anyvan.com, if only to get a quote. You will know what a budget move would cost you and can take it from there.

No affiliation what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    They guys I used (I presume they would not come your way) before Xmas were a similar number just minus the £2000!
    It was less than £700 for 4 blokes, 3 Luton’s
    That was mates rates though.
    I did get in touch with Frank and I still need to do him a video walk through the house so that's my bad. He said a ball park figure was £1900 incl. VAT and they'd done a few E17 house last year so he's still in the running.

There are two company surveys/quotes to go – one tomorrow and one next Monday.

The company today did the video call this morning and the quote landed about two hours later.

I just wanted to check a) I wasn't expecting too much and b) going to get shafted because Feb is a quiet month.

Master
    I am not totally surprised by the quote. Last time we moved back in 2014 not far to you (E18) it was £1875, moving from a 3 bed but with packing included.

Craftsman
    My friend recently used the following to move across London from SW to North.

https://www.fantasticservices.com/removals-and-storage/

I have never heard of them but he said they were brilliant and charged £330 for 2 men and a good few hours work.

That seems a bit steep! Did you reach out to the affordablemoves I mentioned? What did they quote you?

You could try Jeakins, OLS.

I think they may cover your area.

No connection but they have been recommended to me.

Craftsman
    We’re moving next week (within Kent), it’s cost £1,140 including VAT and packing services for a 4 bedroom house.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    We’re moving next week (within Kent), it’s cost £1,140 including VAT and packing services for a 4 bedroom house.
    That sounds very low. Watch them like a hawk and make sure YOU (not them) are well insured.

Craftsman
    That sounds very low. Watch them like a hawk and make sure YOU (not them) are well insured.
    Thanks but it is a well reputable local company

Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    Thanks but it is a well reputable local company
    In that case you should be fine. How many people are they using for a 4 bedroom house?

Master
    Another vote for trying anyvan, especially as you say you are packing a lot of the stuff yourself.
    We have used them a couple of times alebit not for a FULL house move. They are unbelievably cheap from my experience and we were very pleased with the service. Couldn't have gone better. Of course this will vary based upon who you are assigned, but overall a big company and you will have support hopefully if things go wrong.

Master
    Blog Entries
    It may be prudent to seek out a good local independent company, my daughter did just that. The company came with loads of positive feedback, and come the day the guys were fantastic, they just went the extra mile to make sure it was totally stress free. Not cheap mind, but quality never is.