closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

Master

TZUK Watch Purchase Abstinence Club, 2022

I didn't participate in last year's WPAC, which is a good thing given the three Omega PloProfs, two Panerai Regatta Timers, Zenith Pilot, Sinn U1, two G-Shocks and Garmin which arrived, all in the last 7 months of the year. The Omegas, Panerai and Zenith didn't make it to the end of the year, and a few other Panerai also left the stable.

This year I really do want to stop the habit, as I don't need for anything and should use any cash for pension/mortgage reduction.

I'm therefore officially joing the WPAC for 2022 - here's to success.

Do join me in making The Pledge :)

Please also share any personal strategies that have, or might work, for avoidance. I often find that a watch purchase creeps up on me unexpectedly. I'm sure browsing Sales Corner, Chrono24, Watchfinder et al. doesn't help, but it passes the time and keeps me in touch.

Good luck to all who pledge.

If I fail I'll make a Fundraiser donation. I hope others will join me if we fall off the wagon.

Here's to a happy, safe and healthy 2022 for all.

Well there is nothing out there I currently want plus other things are taking priority at the moment so I will join the pledge (hopefully I last longer than the 2 weeks I did last year). To be honest I am happy with the collection at the moment and there are a few I want to get rid of so I have a bit of hope.

Good luck with your membership drive on a thriving watch forum!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    'Happy with the collection' wow, a ray of hope for the afflicted 🤣

Best of luck to you both. After 3 purchases in 2021 I've lots of saving to do if I'm to make another purchase, but I'll not rule it out 😊

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Good luck with your membership drive on a thriving watch forum!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
    Indeed. A place to discuss and enjoy watches, not just a place to trade and share the latest pick up.

The more that sign up, and fall off, the more that might go into the Fundraiser :)

Unfortunately I can't join, as I'll be looking to convert a TT Sub and BLNR into a 36mm DJ and a BLRO.

Mind you, that's not an increase in terms of numbers!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Unfortunately I can't join, as I'll be looking to convert a TT Sub and BLNR into a 36mm DJ and a BLRO.

Mind you, that's not an increase in terms of numbers!
    Maybe there should be two categories. The no watches and no net increase. The latter sounds a lot more appealing. Good luck in the quest, I'm sure it'll happen, plus more ;)

I'm joining again, but I might need a third category to go alongside "no purchases" and "no net increase".

I have two that I have already paid for that I hope to receive in the next month and one I hope to receive around July that I still have to pay 50% on. Then of course there's duty to pay on the three.

I suppose I could say I bought all three watches in 2021 and their arrival won't violate the WPAC charter... or am I clutching at straws?

Master
    Simple rules - one in one out

Dont fall for "i need chrono/diver/dress/GADA" mantra

Think about forum darlings and how much actually good are they.

Declutter the box.

Post the next shiny object of desire for bashing. It might bring you back to Reality.

Post SOTC now, and after few months.

IF you sell the ones that you put for cull, dont spend all the money at instance. If necessary take the cash from bank. View of pile of money can be sobering. There just numbers when in account.

Minimise the time you spend Online looking and lurking. Cut your subscriptions to Online sites dedicated to watches.

Think about the stuff you own. Pros and cons, money value and "do I really need this?"

I'll join this year. I didn't last year but only made 2 actual purchases so that's way less than any previous year since 2009(when we moved back to blighty).

I spend far less time lusting watches these days, especially since my favourite era(70's) of once unloved and undervalued have seemingly become trend and rocketed in price accordingly. I've learned to be content with what I have and I do think I've a great collection right now, if anything some could go.

So yeah let's see how it goes but I'm joining the club.

Craftsman
    I might join at the end of January.

Need a 36mm Datejust very soon. Not sure why. Had about 6 before.
    Sinn UX is going to be sold.

Perhaps if we stop looking in the ‘for sale’ section every day, we might find the cure.

I still own far too many watches, so I'm signing-up here again - WPAC 2021 was useful, it made me concentrate on the cull and focus on the qualities of my collection that I enjoy the most, so the collection is overall in much better shape.

Rather than no incomings (something's on the way from 2021...), the plan is to reduce nett numbers again this year. There are some changes I want to make - tweaks as it were - but no rush now, especially since post-Brexit prices have risen painfully.

The less I get the call I can’t think of anything I want.

There are two watches that I’m hoping to pick up this year so I can’t joint the abstinence section but I can join the no net increase pledge as I’m hoping to cull at least two in order to keep to one watch box.

Master
    I will join this club this year.
    I cannot guarantee I will not buy a watch, but I join the 'no net increase' group. In fact, I am sure I will net decrease from current number of proper watches.
    Best wishes to all taking part !

I’ve learnt my lesson. This group is pointless for me. I think I’ve bought and sold about 4 or 5 and I have my eye on at least one watch for next year.

No net gain is a good club, I’d join that one!

I've already broke the rule so I'm out but I'm going to try and do as other's have said. A few in but a few out to balance the book's.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Lesson learnt from this year is one can fail at the 11th hour! I have 50% of the Ming chrono to pay for hext year, but like Papa H that doesn't really count? Other than that, I'm broke - happy to buy, but selling is definitely required. No more net spend (hopefully).

Day 2 and I’m already out for this year...

I was a successful member of the club last year, in spite of some very close wobbles thanks to Kickstarter; both of which I saw sense on and kept my vow.

This year I intend to do the same but I'm not wildly convinced I'll manage it. There are a lot of watches I'm in love with and the itch is definitely there. Let's see how long I go for...

Good luck to all other members!

By way of advice, I've found the "savings" of not buying anything in 2021 have been able to go towards a few much-needed services. They feel more palatable when you know you won't be spending on new watches somehow!

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    Please also share any personal strategies that have, or might work, for avoidance.

I'll give it a go this year. I have a huge house renovation project on the go so funds need to be directed towards that.

In fact, I'd like to drop from 6 watches to 4 but baby steps and all that.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Master
    Would it count if I aim to buy fewer this year than I did last year?

I’ am in. I have 5 watches and intend to end 2022 with the same number or less.

And again, fundraiser contribution should I fail.

That's me out too. After just 2 days. Today I bought a Pagani PD1690 and am also looking at that Squale on Sales Corner. Also someone mentioned a Gruppo Gamma Divemaster on the forum so I've been having at look at that too. I have a bottle of red wine to finish off so my resolve may well weaken.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Blog Entries
    I'm hoping to consolidate further this year with a few out & 1 in, so ...

z

I think I'm out, still fancy a speedy and old Top Time Long Playing, although i only brought 1 last year and none in 2020.

I think I’m more confident this because I’ve bought and sold the same watches multiple times and come to a realisation that I am chasing a dream rather than a specific watch.
    Time will tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Please also share any personal strategies that have, or might work, for avoidance.
    I'm in this year. Plan is to reduce from five down to two.

As for the best strategy, stay off watch forums altogether or, failing that, limit yourself to, say, one, two hour block per week. When you hang around the barber shop long enough, you end up getting a hair cut.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    By way of advice, I've found the "savings" of not buying anything in 2021 have been able to go towards a few much-needed services. They feel more palatable when you know you won't be spending on new watches somehow!
    That's a good call. I had thought of this, but now I'm sure I'll do that. Thank you :)

I aim to not buy anything this year, I might build a few mods though… I have however just sold a watch, so it’s a good start.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Not me as I am looking for a 36mm Datejust.

I also want a Smiths Everest Silver Jubilee as I have had two dreams in the past week where it was the focal point of the dream.

Master
    I want to join, but I’ve also seen a 176 that I quite like the look of. That would be the only potential addition for this year.

Sign me up. However I did get a vintage Speedmaster on New Year’s Eve, though. Just in time!

I’m putting up a signed notice in my house: “No Watch Purchases in 2022” (and it’s been witnessed by a lawyer friend). My wife thinks I’m nuts but also strongly agrees.

I really need a t break. I might sell but, please, do not let me buy anything.

Craftsman
    I may be able to do it this year.

I'm down to 19 pieces with the main collection, with at least 2 (possibly 3) marked for the chop.

I do have my eye on a couple of pieces but I don't think I'll be getting the call anytime soon.

Craftsman
    Mmm important birthday year for me so could be a problem.

I only really want one watch but im still planning on a redux of the collection.

So I will tentatively say net reduction and maybe one inbound.

I attempted this last year and failed miserably! However that failure was because of a fairly big reshuffle of my collection. I think I’m now at a point where there’s nothing I really want and I’m really happy with what I’ve got - a BB58 which I hardly take off, a Sarb035 and a Smiths Everest PRS-25. That’s it, other than my G-Shock. I reckon I’m capable of having a year off this time - or at least beating my pitiful attempt from last year!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    - a BB58 which I hardly take off, a Sarb035 and a Smiths Everest PRS-25.
    Thats a great 3 and a G collection

Craftsman
    I failed last year. But count me in for 2022. With the only caveat being a Tudor BB chrono I’ve been on the list for the past 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Wink

Abstinence?

Isn't that a weird, green spirit that makes you hallucinate and buy watches that you don't really want?

Do join me in making The Pledge :)
    I will not be joining you and I know of no strategy that works (for me) but I wish you every success.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Journeyman
    Hope to add a Sinn 104 White dial in 2022. Undecided if the Christopher Ward Super Compressor makes way for it yet to keep the collection down to 10!

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

Master
    I’ll join and try again :-)

I’m in.. Not looking for anything in particular at the moment but it’s early days yet! I was looking at consolidating this year so I might even be ‘in credit’ come December

Only thing I bought last year was a £30 Timex beater, so at least I’ve got the right mindset!

(BTW does it count if I buy the wife one for her 40th? )
    Last edited by goregasm; 5th January 2022 at 18:08.

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post

(BTW does it count if I buy the wife one for her 40th? )
    Nope, you get a pass for that one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I enjoy buying watches as much as I enjoy owning them. If there was a help group for actually selling a watch I'd be delighted as I envy those who flip with gay abandon. I find it almost impossible to sell them.

Getting through the week without picking up some dirt cheap vintage 'bargain' is enough of a struggle.
    Last edited by M4tt; 3rd January 2022 at 16:28.

Having bought a Tudor GMT and PAM 1305 last year I most certainly will be abstaining this year.

That said, I am on the waiting list for a Royal Oak and, although I don't hold out much hope, that would be the only thing to put a spanner in the works

Grand Master
    I’m 64 tomorrow and it’s fair to say I’d have to live to 100 to get full use out of all my watches, but that’s missing the point of collecting; I enjoy owning them even if they rarely get used, this is a mindset some will understand but others won’t.

Officially I’ve no intention of buying another watch and I’m supposedly getting rid of a few. However, if a real bargain crops up to buy as a fixer -upper I’ll have it, but I have ‘previous’ for fixing them up and deciding they’re too nice to sell so they join the collection and I keep them.

Never say never, if I can find a nice really gold- capped Late 60’s C case Omega Constellation I’ll buy it for myself. Even a case would do, I have a dial, movement and handset from a scrap watch. Can’t justify the cost of a solid gold version but I may be tempted.

One other watch I really like is the current 126000 Rolex OP36 with dark blue dial. I’ve fallen out with the brand and everything it’s come to represent, but I do like this watch, the return to slimmer lugs makes it far more desirable than the predecessor which I owned for a while.

Let’s see how this year pans out, I’d like to I’m in but I’m not, but if I buy anything I’ll definitely sell one or two to compensate.......maybe!
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 3rd January 2022 at 18:17.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Officially I’ve no intention of buying another watch and I’m supposedly getting rid of a few. However, if a real bargain crops up to buy as a fixer -upper I’ll have it, but I have ‘previous’ for fixing them up and deciding they’re too nice to sell so they join the collection and I keep them.
    Ah, see you're in a slightly different position to most of us, you can make a purchase and as long as you can pass it off as a professional project it's absolutely exempt from being a personal purchase!

And happy birthday for tomorrow. I'll still love you.

Just sold one on eBay, so I’m -1 already