closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Balls

Craftsman

Balls

Been a long time from I've posted but I've a hankering after a new watch and have been eyeing up Balls!

I know that Ball watches aren't exactly a forum facourite but I think some od the less whacky models now are becoming my cup of tea. I really like the look of the Fireman Nightbreaker, Now, I know these can depreciate quickly and would be good value used, but there doesn't seem to be that many Ball watches of any model for sale used, never mind a specific model. Maybe that's because those that buy them love them and hold on to them or they just aren't that popular. Would you guys reckon buying new is the best option or hold out for something to come up used?

cheers all and happy new year!

Master
    I suspect you will not get much advice on this because one gets the impression that most members of this forum have no balls.

Well they have a bit of fun with their naming. Balls Deep Quest for example.

Ive owned a few over the years, and have been impressed. Although I did buy at great prices. The last couple were their Ball Skin, Divers lol

Good timekeeping, good build and great lume with the tubes too.
    It's just a matter of time...

Never owned one but they do get favourable reports, my only concern buying new is the amount the lose on the 2nd hand market, they plummet in value. That said I would try to pick up a 6month to a year old example as the tritium tubes have a half life of 12 years so a watch with any age will not be as bright as it once was - which is kind of their USP. I am also not sure what Balls procedure with regard to replacing the tubes / dial is when the watch is serviced, independents won’t get these parts so they would have to go back to Ball if you wanted a full service / restore the brightness. Lastly like any tritium tube watch the brightness of the dial and hands is not as bright as a luminova dialled watch when first viewed in the dark. However give it an hour and they are much brighter than the equivalents out there.

Sorry to go a bit OT, just dumping thoughts really.

I have owned several models and would buy another secondhand without hesitation.

Swisstec changed the tritium tube which failed in one of my Ball watches. They are the official Ball service centre in England and weren't too expensive.
    As they are based near where my mother lived, I took the watches in myself when visiting her. They have a nice display of older Omegas.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Never seen one I liked enough to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This, 100%
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    I understand and appreciate that 100%. I've always beena bit "off mainstream" though. They aren't everyone's cup of tea and TBH, 80% of the range isn't for me either.
    Last edited by gunman; 1st January 2022 at 22:13. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I suspect you will not get much advice on this because one gets the impression that most members of this forum have no balls.
    Never sell a ball, Mick.

Master
    Only ever owned 1 (a DLC coated Engineer Master II Diver GMT…. bit of a mouthful).

I think I got a 50% discount in an Ernest Jones January sale. At that price, I had no complaints with the build quality at all. Wouldn’t have considered it at full price though I must admit. They are a bit marmite and inevitably at some point it’s going to be a hard sell without taking a bath when boredom sets in.

I used to have that opinion too but a quick google of the Fireman Nightbreaker mentioned in the original post has changed my mind a somewhat. That's a seriously nice watch.
    Last edited by Lampoc; 1st January 2022 at 23:44.

The biggest miss of my Ball ownership history is my Fireman Moonphase.
    Lovely dial, hampered of course bby the tubes, but that's the price you pay for the all-night readability.
    I would buy another definitely.

There seems to be 4 different dials, which one are you plumping for?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    There seems to be 4 different dials, which one are you plumping for?
    The blue dial with bracelet. althought I think a leather strap or nato would look well on it, but it's either bracelet or rubber strap as the option.

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...nm2098c-s13-be

I’ve had a few. Great watches. I particularly enjoyed the TMT Engineer Diver.

I’ve got an old Fireman with the black / red and it’s a keeper. Some of the newer offerings have even more tubes on the dial, which I think can become cluttered.

Good watches and great history. . . 

But from Jomashop, yes you will pay duty and you get no manufacturers warranty, but they are half price. I had a secondhand one from their bought from this forum and they are wonderfully made pieces. I deffo want another, but only at 50% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Niss View Post
    They have a nice display of older Omegas.
    Did they show you any old Balls?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt View Post
    But from Jomashop, yes you will pay duty and you get no manufacturers warranty, but they are half price. I had a secondhand one from their bought from this forum and they are wonderfully made pieces. I deffo want another, but only at 50% off.

Jomashop don't list the model I want. The nightbreaker is £1130 rrp watch but with the 15% off at Jura currently it's £960 delivered with the full warrantly from Ball. I'm getting an itchy trigger finger here TBH.

Liked the look of the Nightbreaker on a strap at around £770 in Jura’s sale, decent price I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by neppip View Post
    I’ve had a few. Great watches. I particularly enjoyed the TMT Engineer Diver.

I’ve got an old Fireman with the black / red and it’s a keeper. Some of the newer offerings have even more tubes on the dial, which I think can become cluttered.

Good watches and great history. . . 
    If memory serves me right you had at least three of the Engineer Divers? That orange one....

But your Fireman isn't bad either:

Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.