closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Anyone been to the UK National Space Centre?

Hybrid View

Anyone been to the UK National Space Centre?

I have postponed my plans to visit the KSC in Florida until 2023 due to Covid so am looking round for space orientated places nearer to home that I can visit in the meantime.

Next time Im in London I plan to pop into the science museum as I recall they have a few things of interest in there.

I am wondering about the UK Space Centre in Leicester - has anyone been? If so what did you think of it?

Craftsman
    I have been a couple of years ago and enjoyed it

I’m not a big space fan but am a mechanical engineer and had my then year old daughter with me so probably a different slant on the visit

I enjoyed the exhibits as an engineer - good information around them for somebody like me who knows very little

I’m not sure how it would be if I was more knowledgable but it’s a well run place with plenty of exhibits

I`ve been.
    I can`t remember much about it apart from seeing Helen Sharmans space suit. It`s a bit `school kid orientated`.
    I think the most memorable part of the day was going next door to visit the amazing Abbey Pumping station - much more interesting!

Calling Mr C...
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Went a few times when my son was younger. Its a good half day out for kids who are engaged with the subject and more for an adult who’s interested.
    Personally my most enjoyable visit was when they held a Dr Who convention there and then showed to old Peter Cushing films in the theatre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I have postponed my plans to visit the KSC in Florida until 2023 due to Covid so am looking round for space orientated places nearer to home that I can visit in the meantime.

Next time Im in London I plan to pop into the science museum as I recall they have a few things of interest in there.

I am wondering about the UK Space Centre in Leicester - has anyone been? If so what did you think of it?
    I visited about 10 years ago with a science-mad daughter. Worth a half day in my opinion, exhibits biased towards children/teens if I am remembering correctly.

I popped into science museum yesterday, as I was walking past. They have a great display of space stuff on ground floor, that I often just pop in to look at . Original v2 rocket stop two space capsules and a mock up of the lander and a speedmaster flown and lots lots more . So that would definitely be a good trip if you have not done before ..

Thanks all - thats really helpful.

We've been several times in recent years (tickets include a free Annual Pass upgrade), and like it a lot.

If you are the kind of person who reads everything then you can fill most of a day, particularly if you take in a show at the excellent Sir Patrick Moore Planetarium. Start at the top of the Space Tower and work your way down. Whilst it's obviously not on a par with The Cape, it is far more eclectic with a lot of information on Soviet and ESA space exploration history and displays on the individual planets, SETI and suchlike. The science shows in the auditorium are aimed at the kids, as is the adjacent Tranquility Base interactive experience.

The cafe is a bit limited and can have a huge queue but there's an area for eating your own packed lunch and a massive Asda five minutes down the road (also with a cafe). The grounds of the adjacent Abbey Pumping Station Museum are a good spot to eat your own supplies if the weather is clement.

The Asda is a good spot to fill the car up as well.

Parking is three quid in the pay and display just outside.

The Abbey Pumping Station Museum could do with better funding but is fascinating and well worth an explore if you have time. It is free and open February - October.

If you have longer in town then don't miss the excellent King Richard III Visitor Centre. It's not a bad 40 minute walk from the Space Center, along the River Soar passing the remains of The Abbey and pleasant Abbey Park. The last stretch is a bit urban but includes some great spots for a bite to eat. The best bit of the KRIII display is the story of the discovery in the car park, excavation and corroboration.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH