closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Avoid Halfords Auto Centres!

Craftsman

Avoid Halfords Auto Centres!

I was desperate to get my headlight bulbs replaced as I was going on a trip. I got a same day slot at my local Halfords auto centre.

I took it in and had both bulbs replaced. However when I drove off I noticed my dash was now lit up like a Christmas tree! I drove straight back and told the guy that replaced the bulbs. And he was like not down to me guv. The lights were probably on before. I said no they weren’t ,there wasn’t a single warning light on before. He then fobs me off and tells me I need to book it in and get it diagnosed. I told him no thanks.

I took my car elsewhere and it turns out they hadn’t plugged everything back in and managed to brake several clips! Moral of story don’t use these clowns.

Sorry for rant. I was warned about Halfords before, but decided to give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter, on 2 separate occasions, had a headlight bulb replaced by Halfords. Both times I had to reposition the bulb as it had not been put in properly so the beam was atrocious.
    I asked them to fit a new radio to a car (it was for a minimal fee) and was told, when the car came back, that the radio was "hard wired" so they couldn't do it. It took me 5 minutes to find the DIN plugs when I got home.
    Never used them since.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I did wonder why some people used the phras3 ‘Halfrauds’

Master
    Like any ‘garage’, they’re only as good as the person who works on your car.

Being a throughly practical chap who throws ice cubes down the vest of car problems, I obviously never use them, but many people aren’t so mechanically or technically blessed and have to use them. ;-)

OP, you should follow up and complain to the branch manager and if that doesn’t work, the Halfords head office. They are usually very responsive, the least they should be doing is fixing the broken plugs.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    I . I was warned about Halfords before, but decided to give them a try.

😂😂

Twit fit and Halfrauds have and will always be a bunch of charlatans.

My independent garage fit my last headlamp bulbs for free (I bought them elsewhere).... Jon Kelley's Darlington... old school mechanics and top rated.
    Halfords are used by some folks I know without complaint though, depends on the mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Twit fit and Halfrauds have and will always be a bunch of charlatans.
    I tend to agree.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I just buy bulbs on Amazon and fit them myself. Doesn’t seem too difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    I just buy bulbs on Amazon and fit them myself. Doesn’t seem too difficult.
    Depends on the car, for some you have to remove quite a few bits and in some even the front bumper needs to come off.

On my wife’s Yaris, it’s recommended to actually remove the headlights but after a lot of swearing, shredded gloves and both hands scratched to bits I did manage to change them out without removing the headlights

Grand Master
    Changing headlight bulbs should be easy but cars are now designed in such a way that it isn’t! I still swap them myself , I recall a Toyota Corolla that wifey owned some years ago that was ‘challenging’ but it could be done without too much dismantling.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Changing headlight bulbs should be easy but cars are now designed in such a way that it isn’t! I still swap them myself , I recall a Toyota Corolla that wifey owned some years ago that was ‘challenging’ but it could be done without too much dismantling.
    Golf Mk4 sidelight replacement.

Step 1. Remove the bumper...

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman
    Booked Halfords Autocentre through Black Circles to fit two front tyres to my wife’s Golf a couple of months back. Dropped the car off and was assured it would be ready in an hour. Walked off to the nearby M&S cafe for a slice of cake and a coffee, came back after an hour to find the car hadn’t moved.

Enquired, was assured it was next on their job list. So went off to browse around Currys. 30 minutes later and it still hadn’t moved.

Verbally stamped my feet, received an apology and they put the car on the ramp…

…and there it stayed for another hour…

… two and a half hours for two front tyres.

Never again.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    Golf Mk4 sidelight replacement.

Step 1. Remove the bumper...

R
    My nephew was only telling me yesterday the “fun” he had changing the bulbs on his Mk5 (6?). Think he stopped counting after 40 screws needing to be undone and later done.

I would never have gone to Halfords (if they can't even put a bike together, I'm not trusting them with my car). It sounds like now you won't either. Lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    I would never have gone to Halfords (if they can't even put a bike together, I'm not trusting them with my car). It sounds like now you won't either. Lesson learned.
    Not really the same outfit.

Craftsman
    As others have said its down to the training (or lack there of) and ability of the individual working on your car.

One of the reasons I left teaching vocational in FE was the 'sausage machine' approach were expected to apply, i.e. everyone must pass so the Government target is met, aptitude and interest for the profession or not.

When I completed my training in the early 80's it was no more than two opportunities to take training assessments/exams, if you didn't succeed you were down the road looking for a new career, today its as many goes as you like.
    Last edited by Ed875; 1st January 2022 at 10:32.

Master
    Technicians? Apprenticeships? Don't get me started! The title says it all really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed875 View Post
    As others have said its down to the training (or lack there of) and ability of the individual working on your car.

One of the reasons I left teaching vocational in FE was the 'sausage machine' approach were expected to apply, i.e. everyone must pass so the Government target is met, aptitude and interest for the profession or not.

When I completed my training in the early 80's it was no more than two opportunities to take training assessments/exams, if you didn't succeed you were down the road looking for a new career, today its as many goes as you like.
    Same as my city+guilds in the early 90s first exam attempt 2 more retakes and that was it, the guys at work doing nvqs can take as long as they like

My brother in law works in a college and you won’t believe the pressure in staff to pass anyone and everyone else there would be financial penalties. He said that he has to work with kids he considers dopes to effectively do their work so that he can pass them.

In the spirit of providing an alternative view, I've used the 2 local Halfords Autocentres for MOTs for the last few years and have had no problem at all.

On one occasion there was a brake light out and they popped a new bulb in so it would pass. They didn't charge for the bulb or fitting it, just did it.

Of course, as I've booked in to get the MX5 MOTed on Monday, I may be back here then with a different story! Hopefully not though.

I’ll echo the sentiment, all down the the person working on the vehicle.

Had a good experience with a dash cam fitting but I’d had the luxury of a 45 minute chat with the chap before booking it in. Clearly very well experienced and spent a lot of time explaining how he’d fit it to my car.

Actual fitting done ahead of time and no issues whatsoever.

As above, I had a dash cam fitted to my car by Halfords and spoke to the fitter who booked in the job. He clearly explained how he was going to fit the cam and how the wires would be hidden. A good job done.

Unfortunately, there was no nearby M&S for coffee and cake.

Master
    I was going to Halfords for headlight bulbs on my C Max regularly (known issue with model). The same lad did a grand job and eventually taught me to do it myself so I didn’t have to go back.

No disrespect to anyone who’s had good service from them but fitting bulbs and dash-cams are essentially DIY jobs anyway, if they can’t do those tasks without ballsin it up they really shouldn’t be doing it anyway. Sorry but I really don’t understand why anyone gives them the time of day.

Avoid Halfords Auto Centres!

Can’t understand why anyone would book a slot at an Autocentre TBH (for bulbs).
    Just buy bulbs at their retail stores and they will fit them for a small charge.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 1st January 2022 at 17:45.

Changing headlight bulb on my son’s MX5 was a bit of a b*stard I recall.
    Through the wheel arch?

No disrespect to anyone who’s had good service from them but fitting bulbs and dash-cams are essentially DIY jobs anyway, if they can’t do those tasks without ballsin it up they really shouldn’t be doing it anyway. Sorry but I really don’t understand why anyone gives them the time of day.
    Not as straightforward for my car with the battery in the back and for the relatively small fee, just wasn’t worth me spending hours doing it myself.

Master
    I could be wrong but I think in the Enyaq there are airbags in the A pillars. I certainly wouldn’t want to be messing around running a cable alongside those, so I will be taking my car to them to fit my dash cam.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I could be wrong but I think in the Enyaq there are airbags in the A pillars. I certainly wouldn’t want to be messing around running a cable alongside those, so I will be taking my car to them to fit my dash cam.
    I’ve never once removed an A pillar trim to do this, they can be manipulated and tucked along the edge. You stand more chance of trapping something by removing the trim than not.

Quote Originally Posted by Crammage View Post
    Not as straightforward for my car with the battery in the back and for the relatively small fee, just wasn’t worth me spending hours doing it myself.
    Your battery being in the back should be irrelevent, there'll be plenty of suitable feeds in or around the dashboard to connect accessories to.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master
    You need to be careful with this, the Enyaq A pillar airbags are the same as on my ID.3, and where the cable emerges from the roof lining to the top of the A pillar, it needs to go behind the sausage airbag otherwise it potentially won’t inflate properly. Tucking down the side of the trim won’t be sufficient, so the trim needs to be removed really.

Also, the A trim pillars use a type of retaining clip called an ARaymond 2-stage airbag trim retainer. It's a clever thing that allows the trim to open a bit without letting it fly away when the airbag deploys, and they’re easily broken. Make sure that your Halfords guy knows all this, as the wire will need to go the other side of the long sausage airbag, and there is a method for removing the trim retainers and replacing them.

If they can, maybe hardwire to the 12v feed in the headlining if possible so they stay away from the A pillars?

Master
    I’ve never once removed an A pillar trim to do this, they can be manipulated and tucked along the edge. You stand more chance of trapping something by removing the trim than not.

I’ve had many taxis and the guy who fits the meters (mirror meters) always takes the trim off to ensure a neat(er) finish. Never been a problem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    You need to be careful with this, the Enyaq A pillar airbags are the same as on my ID.3, and where the cable emerges from the roof lining to the top of the A pillar, it needs to go behind the sausage airbag otherwise it potentially won’t inflate properly. Tucking down the side of the trim won’t be sufficient, so the trim needs to be removed really.

Also, the A trim pillars use a type of retaining clip called an ARaymond 2-stage airbag trim retainer. It's a clever thing that allows the trim to open a bit without letting it fly away when the airbag deploys, and they’re easily broken. Make sure that your Halfords guy knows all this, as the wire will need to go the other side of the long sausage airbag, and there is a method for removing the trim retainers and replacing them.

If they can, maybe hardwire to the 12v feed in the headlining if possible so they stay away from the A pillars?
    I saw a video on YouTube where a guy fitted a dash cam on an ID.3 and he initially covered the airbag with the cable, so he did an update to show the re-routed cable to avoid that.
    I’ll be talking to Halfords first to let them know of the potential issue and if they don’t satisfy me, I’ll go to my meter guy who does this sort of thing every day.
    Thanks for the heads up though.

I’ve had many taxis and the guy who fits the meters (mirror meters) always takes the trim off to ensure a neat(er) finish. Never been a problem.
    Yeh that’s your meter guy, we were talking about Halfords which I wouldn’t trust with that kind of thing. The fact the guy wrapped it around the airbag in the first video also tells me he shouldn’t be doing it also. Going back to the original point, I wouldn’t be removing the trim to do it, as stated you stand more chance of damaging the trim, the fixings (tooks) in doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Of course, as I've booked in to get the MX5 MOTed on Monday, I may be back here then with a different story! Hopefully not though.
    And passed.

Advisories on tyre sidewalls on all 4, mainly I suspect from lack of use. Still worrying though as the tyres are less than 2 years old

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    And passed.

Advisories on tyre sidewalls on all 4, mainly I suspect from lack of use. Still worrying though as the tyres are less than 2 years old

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    I would be worried if those sidewalls are not good being only 2 years old. My TR6 tyres are 8 years old with no signs of being perished and they only do 2k miles a year. I am changing them this year as at 7 years old it is advised to change

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    I would be worried if those sidewalls are not good being only 2 years old. My TR6 tyres are 8 years old with no signs of being perished and they only do 2k miles a year. I am changing them this year as at 7 years old it is advised to change
    The tyres are Avons and made in March 2020 so not even 2 years old.

I've had a quick look and can't see any splitting so I think they might be being a little over-cautious. There was no attempt to sell me tyres though, so no worries in that regard.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The tyres are Avons and made in March 2020 so not even 2 years old.

I've had a quick look and can't see any splitting so I think they might be being a little over-cautious. There was no attempt to sell me tyres though, so no worries in that regard.

The tyres on the TR6 are Avons and to be honest the tyre on a whole are perfect

Craftsman
    In the spirit of providing an alternative view, I've used the 2 local Halfords Autocentres for MOTs for the last few years and have had no problem at all.

On one occasion there was a brake light out and they popped a new bulb in so it would pass. They didn't charge for the bulb or fitting it, just did it.

My Halfords Autocentre MoT'd my 2005 MX5 and was going to fail it because the tester said the car had been fitted with non-compliant HID headlamps and there was no headlamp cleaning
    system.

I had fitted road legal Philips headlamp bulbs which give a whiter beam and he assumed from the colour that they were HID. When I explained this he said he had seen "boxes" attached to the headlights and "that's what you get with HIDs"

I offered to take him over to the car and show him the bulbs and at that point he decided that he would "let it go this time".

I hope he was only a vehicle tester and not allowed to work on important things like brakes etc.

Craftsman
    Non factory fit HID and LED bulbs are no longer permissible, cleaning device is irrelevant,vehicles after Sept 2009 they must work only if fitted. You can change the whole lamp for hid or led if it is purpose made for it tho.
    Last edited by meridian; 5th January 2022 at 08:01.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Non factory fit HID and LED bulbs are no longer permissible, cleaning device is irrelevant,vehicles after Sept 2009 they must work only if fitted. You can change the whole lamp for hid or led if it is purpose made for it tho.
    They tweaked that a little last year

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...mp-conversions

Definitely relevant for owners of motorcycles and older cars

Usually do bulbs myself, but ashamed to say i got Halfords to do my wifes Zafira a few years ago. The official recommended method was through a tiny hatch in the front wheel well, with steering at full lock, it was impossible. Tried from above and it was too tight a squeeze to get my fat hands down in front of the engine. Small handed lady at halfrauds did in in 2 mins

Why all cars aren't accessible like the Octavia Mk II I'll never know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtpWdjRPn0U

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Usually do bulbs myself, but ashamed to say i got Halfords to do my wifes Zafira a few years ago. The official recommended method was through a tiny hatch in the front wheel well, with steering at full lock, it was impossible. Tried from above and it was too tight a squeeze to get my fat hands down in front of the engine. Small handed lady at halfrauds did in in 2 mins
    Maybe your wife could have done it herself?