closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2.2 Diesel

Master

Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2.2 Diesel

Is anyone running one of these that could give me some feedback please?

Seems to be from what i can see online and in reviews a driver focused SUV (if there is such a thing!) and would welcome any comments.

Cheers

Nev

Blog Entries
    I can't say anything substantial about them, only that the Guardia Civil on Lanzarote has them. Impressive livery gives them a 'suited for the job' look.

Alfa-Romeo and diesel are 2 words (3 for the pedants) that do not live in the same sentence.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Alfa-Romeo and diesel are 2 words (3 for the pedants) that do not live in the same sentence.
    I remember working with both Jaguar and BMW who both said they'd never do diesel cars.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    I remember working with both Jaguar and BMW who both said they'd never do diesel cars.
    Absolutely. I should have added a smiley to my post.
    But it’s an Alfa!!!!
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries
    We used to have a 156 JTD around '98/'99(?). fantastic car.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Did look at these when looking at buying a new mid size SUV. They drive really well and get down the road quickly and very driver focused, but after all that it’s an Alfa, so we purchased a X3.

Master
    Nice car - potentially dreadful and scarce dealers. If you live within 5 miles of a dealer go ahead. If any further than that I would avoid, you will need to know the Service Manager by his first name.

I had two Alfas from new - the first one (petrol) was lovely although I only owned it for 18 months - the second (diesel) was a huge disappointment and a constant cause of worry.

From a styling point of view - the tailgate with its drooping rear window looks unbearably miserable.
    Last edited by UKMike; 1st January 2022 at 12:02.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Indeed, the intersection of the Alfa Romeos, diesel vehicles and SUVs sets should be empty.

Craftsman
    Make sure you test drive it first. The turning circle is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Indeed, the intersection of the Alfa Romeos, diesel vehicles and SUVs sets should be empty.
    Except for the Quadrofolio which is epic

Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    It may be but its an Alfa. It should burn petrol and be light and nimble, not a living room on wheels with all its weight in the wrong place.

Master
    So have arranged a test drive for a weekend and will advise thoughts after that.

Cant help but think that modern Alfas are no worse in terms of reliability and build than their peers, and what they offer is no different to other manufacturers in terms of what the public are asking for. Would be lovely to drive around in a Busso 3.0 V6 2 seater soft top but not always the most practical.

Too many people prefer to drive SUVs these days for a manufacturer to ignore the sector.

I've heard many good things about the Stelvio, but then I've heard many good things about many SUVs which are only relative (Famously a number of reviews of the first X5s described it as 'handling like a car' - Well, no it didn't - Better than most terrible SUVs of the time, probably, but no sane person would buy a car with such awful handling and the press would have ripped such a car to shreds).

Yes, they've improved, but they're still no match in driving pleasure for a regular car.

However, if you're going to buy an SUV, why not buy one which at least tries to be enjoyable to drive.

If I was after a 4 door saloon, I'd definitely consider a modern Alfa over an ugly BMW or dull Audi.

Sadly, such a car doesn't fit my requirements, so I drive a Golf estate, which at least doesn't threaten to topple over on roundabouts...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I would say the Stelvio is more car based then SUV it’s 4x4 but that’s it. We chose an SUV for my wife who is getting on in years and her knees are not the best, so getting up into as opposed to bending down to. The Stelvio is no normal SUV. It is no wonder it handles so good on the road then most SUV, it should it’s closer. Just my take.
    Last edited by hilly10; 3rd January 2022 at 16:12.

I see a Stelvio quite regularly on my drive to work, and - having initially liked the styling - now I’ve seen it dozens of times I don’t actually think it’s particularly attractive. I’m no petrolhead but have tended to buy German and Swedish cars over the years as I don’t want something actively ugly on the drive (imho of course). This has also stopped me buying Japanese or Korean - I prefer a chunky looking car to swoopy if that makes sense, and the Stelvio is a bit too Mazda if that makes any sense. My current Tiguan will be the last SUV I own - it’s very competent but so boring to drive in comparison to literally anything else I’ve ever driven, including my wife’s Fiat Panda when we met in the early 90’s and my sons current VW up! - went to SUV’s when the boys were small and I’m tall so car seats were a nightmare, now they’re grown up it’s back to cars thank goodness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Mazda CX-5 and love it. Albeit very slow.