Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • Datejust

43 31.85%
  • Explorer

92 68.15%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help me decide, please!

Well, completely out of the blue the deal is done, and all being well the postman will be calling on Tuesday. It’s not either of the options in the thread starter but it’s certainly something that was recommended as an alternative.

Very happy indeed, and if anyone fancies a mint Aerospace Night Mission I’ll probably be listing that very shortly to make way (I would really rather reduce overall numbers, not add to them).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th January 2022 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, completely out of the blue the deal is done, and all being well the postman will be calling on Tuesday. It’s not either of the options in the thread starter but it’s certainly something that was recommended as an alternative.

Very happy indeed, and if anyone fancies a mint Aerospace Night Mission I’ll probably be listing that very shortly to make way (I would really rather reduce overall numbers, not add to them).
    214720 mk2? Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    214720 mk2? Awesome
    Yep - i've had a WTB for an Explorer for a while now, originally with some options as regards reference but latterly just homing in on this one.

Master
    Well done Tony. Loving my mk2 explorer 1 also. Understated block of steel!

Master
    Blog Entries
    The DJ over the explorer for me
    Last edited by sprite1275; 30th January 2022 at 11:04.

Enjoy the new watch!

I’ve always thought a 36mm explorer would end this madness for me! Anyone know what the current ‘wait list’ is for a 124270?
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 30th January 2022 at 11:30.

Craftsman
    Great choice and congratulations on the incoming.

Throughout my 5-years with my 39mm Explorer I questioned and considered a trade to a 36mm version.

A year with a Smiths Everest has shown it’s not the size that’s an issue and, for me anyway, the 39mm Mk2 is the finest evolution of the Explorer (stand fast 1016 which I can’t afford to wear daily).

With disappointment despite how much I enjoy the Explorer format I know I won’t choose to wear either in future. Much like your birth year JC I suspect.

Well done Tony, glad you picked one up. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Look forward to your incoming post (your watches look so much better than mine!).

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Definitely the explorer, better looking, easier to read and as it’s a rarer model than the Datejust and likely to hold its value better??
    PS what are you thoughts on the Zenith Chronomaster Sport you own(ed)?

Thanks all - very happy with the result of my ponderings.

Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    Definitely the explorer, better looking, easier to read and as it’s a rarer model than the Datejust and likely to hold its value better??
    PS what are you thoughts on the Zenith Chronomaster Sport you own(ed)?
    Funnily enough I'm wearing it now. I absolutely love it, and it'll be one of those I keep when I retire properly for sure... In fact, I love it so much recently bought the bracelet for it too.

Apprentice
    I hate to put a spanner in the works..

You need a watch that is discontinued.

The white or black dial OP39.
    Uses the Explorer case, movement, glass, crown and bracelet (so 100m water resistant)

But has a much nicer symmetrical elegant face.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    Enjoy the new watch!

I’ve always thought a 36mm explorer would end this madness for me! Anyone know what the current ‘wait list’ is for a 124270?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser3 J View Post
    Great choice and congratulations on the incoming.

Throughout my 5-years with my 39mm Explorer I questioned and considered a trade to a 36mm version.

A year with a Smiths Everest has shown it’s not the size that’s an issue and, for me anyway, the 39mm Mk2 is the finest evolution of the Explorer (stand fast 1016 which I can’t afford to wear daily).

With disappointment despite how much I enjoy the Explorer format I know I won’t choose to wear either in future. Much like your birth year JC I suspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    Well done Tony, glad you picked one up. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Look forward to your incoming post (your watches look so much better than mine!).

Apologies for my rudeness, and thanks very much. It's due back from Genesis in about a fortnight, so I'll write an incoming post then (when I can add a few photos too).

Craftsman
    No apology required on my part. I look forward to the update - always nice to see your photos!

Well, I got there in the end, having swapped the 39mm 214270 for the 36mm 124270. The proportions suit me better and I love that it's an old style case but a modern watch.

Last edited by learningtofly; 29th March 2022 at 16:02.

Well, I got there in the end, having effectively swapped 39mm for 36mm. The proportions suit me better and I love that it's the old style case in a modern watch.

That looks perfect on you.

Looks great Tony. If I knew you were selling I would have dropped you a message!

Quote Originally Posted by namzo View Post
    That looks perfect on you.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Looks great Tony. If I knew you were selling I would have dropped you a message!
    It hadn't been my intention, but an effective straight swap suddenly appeared possible, which suited everyone concerned.

Well, I got there in the end, having effectively swapped 39mm for 36mm. The proportions suit me better and I love that it's the old style case in a modern watch.

Looks good.
    Give it 2 months before you get fed up of the feminine size though:-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Looks good.
    Give it 2 months before you get fed up of the feminine size though:-)
    LOLZ. No chance

Master
    Good decision I think. I tried the 39mm back when you could just simply walk into a shop and try one on, along with the 39mm Oyster Perpetuals. I couldn't get over the feeling that while it looked just about ok from a distance, it would never stop looking oversized from close up. I'm sure the 39mm are perfect for someone but they weren't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Good decision I think. I tried the 39mm back when you could just simply walk into a shop and try one on, along with the 39mm Oyster Perpetuals. I couldn't get over the feeling that while it looked just about ok from a distance, it would never stop looking oversized from close up. I'm sure the 39mm are perfect for someone but they weren't for me.
    I really think that it's a watch that doesn't suit being larger. It reminds me of my brief dalliance with the IWC Mark XI Reissue, which like the 39mm Explorer felt dinner plate-ish after I'd worn it for a while (having hoped it might serve to replace the Mk XII that's I'd foolishly sold).

The Explorer in 36mm just feels... right.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th March 2022 at 13:39.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on making The Right Choice. Eighty odd years later, I still reckon it's the definitive Rolex. However, if you ever want to borrow a decent 29mm watch to remind you the size mens' watches should be, I'm here for you.
    Last edited by M4tt; 29th March 2022 at 13:40.

Craftsman
    Explorer. Easily.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Congratulations on making The Right Choice. Eighty odd years later, I still reckon it's the definitive Rolex. However, if you ever want to borrow a decent 29mm watch to remind you the size mens' watches should be, I'm here for you.
    It does feel like The Right Choice, actually, and (pleasingly) one of the options Incited originally in the OP!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 29th March 2022 at 14:14.

Craftsman
    Well, I got there in the end, having effectively swapped 39mm for 36mm 124270. The proportions suit me better and I love that it's the old style case in a modern watch.
    Congratulations - that suits you very well. I think I will be following you to the modern 36mm from my 39mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ser3 J View Post
    Congratulations - that suits you very well. I think I will be following you to the modern 36mm from my 39mm.
    It's definitely the answer for me... just seems to be the "right" size. Everytime I look at it feels like a validation of my decision.

I really like that 36mm, it's close to perfect. I think the only thing I'd change is maybe add another 3mm or so to it

Jokes aside, glad you found the right one for you.

Master
    Well, I got there in the end, having swapped the 39mm 214270 for the 36mm 124270. The proportions suit me better and I love that it's an old style case but a modern watch.

Congratulations, looks great on you.

Master
    A handsome watch and the correct choice, imho. I'm also a fan of the smaller case.
    Congratulations!
    PS I think it would look good on a black NATO (one of Eddie's).

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    I really like that 36mm, it's close to perfect. I think the only thing I'd change is maybe add another 3mm or so to it

Jokes aside, glad you found the right one for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Congratulations, looks great on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Pottinger View Post
    A handsome watch and the correct choice, imho. I'm also a fan of the smaller case.
    Congratulations!
    PS I think it would look good on a black NATO (one of Eddie's).
    Thanks all. I agree that it might look good on a NATO - I'll probably give it a try at some point.