closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tudor GMT Date Issue

Tudor GMT Date Issue

Hi,

My Tudor GMT has just started to display the famous date wheel issue, jumping a couple of days each day or just displaying half the date in the date window. Unfortunately it is one of the early production ones so it is way out of warranty. I spoke to Rolex the other day who would only say send it in and it will take up to 12 weeks to repair. My questions are - has anyone else sent their out of warranty Tudor GMT to be fixed? Is it a movement swap or is there another repair they do? If they do swap the movement, do they charge you the full amount or is there some Tudor contribution given it’s a known fault.

Thanks

Paul

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Mine had the date issue twice, second occurrence landed me a brand new one.

I had the same problem with my watch which was out of warranty by 5-6 months as far as I can remember. I had purchased it new when they were first released from my local AD, so I took it back there and asked if there would be a charge as it was a known issue. They sent it away and it came back 3 weeks later with what feels like a new movement and at no charge. They also extended the Warranty for me which I was happy with. Good customer service really from my AD and Tudor.

Neil
    Last edited by Sam100; 26th December 2021 at 10:28.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
    Hi,

My Tudor GMT has just started to display the famous date wheel issue, jumping a couple of days each day or just displaying half the date in the date window. Unfortunately it is one of the early production ones so it is way out of warranty.

Thanks

Paul

What date did you purchase the watch John?

It was February 2018.

I’d be pretty annoyed if a well known and publicised movement issue wouldn’t be repaired free of charge even outside the warranty period. This one should be at Tudor’s expense!

It’ll be a movement swap. I’d expect it free of charge given how widespread and well known the issue is.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100 View Post
    I had the same problem with my watch which was out of warranty by 5-6 months as far as I can remember. I had purchased it new when they were first realised from my local AD, so I took it back there and asked if there would be a charge as it was a known issue. They sent it away and it came back 3 weeks later with what feels like a new movement and at no charge. They also extended the Warranty for me which I was happy with. Good customer service really from my AD and Tudor.

Neil
    Thanks Neil,

I hope I get a similar service when I drop it off to be fixed. Mine will be around 22 months outside of warranty so we will see how good Tudor customer service is.

Paul

Master
    Thanks Neil,

I hope I get a similar service when I drop it off to be fixed. Mine will be around 22 months outside of warranty so we will see how good Tudor customer service is.

Paul

If would be *very* unfair of Tudor not to honour the repair because if you had bought the GMT 5/6 months LATER than you actually did it would still be under warranty... little bit crazy I know.
    I would expect the repair done FOC by Tudor if it were my watch tbh. Good luck.

Master
    I too, having one of the first sold here, would be interested to see what Tudor do.

Another thought: these early watches will start to be serviced by some in the next year or two. What will Tudor do with those that haven't yet had the date issue? Undertake the usual service, fix the date issue (subject to the caveat that I have no understanding of what causes the issue to arise) or swap the movement for one that has has this issue addressed?

What do people think? Maybe there is someone here from an AD who knows what the approach of Tudor will be...

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I believe since Tudor changed the warranty to 5 years, any watch brought before 2019 has had an extended warranty added from original purchase date which should be 18 months.

When my GMT went wrong second time round, first time being only a week into purchase (November 2018) I decided to tell the AD I no longer want this lemon. This was after 2 years and 9 months of ownership, my AD swapped it out with the S&G at my request, obviously I paid the extra difference on top but this watch became really unreliable to the point where the AD knew they had to do something rather than send it back 2nd time round.

Sent from my SM-N960F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    tempted to just get a new one to avoid this altogether.

- - - Updated - - -

tempted to just get a new one to avoid this altogether.

Tudor GMT Date Issue

Well, I just thought I would give you an update on my watch. I picked it up today from Mappin & Webb and there was no charge. It’s been away for nearly 8 weeks at Tudor, but I can’t complain when the repair was free. Big shout out to Mappin & Webb in Regents Street whose service was excellent. They even said in their report which went with the watch back to Tudor that the customer should not be charged for the repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam100 View Post
    I had the same problem with my watch which was out of warranty by 5-6 months as far as I can remember. I had purchased it new when they were first released from my local AD, so I took it back there and asked if there would be a charge as it was a known issue. They sent it away and it came back 3 weeks later with what feels like a new movement and at no charge. They also extended the Warranty for me which I was happy with. Good customer service really from my AD and Tudor.

Neil
    I think they have done the same to mine Neil and replaced the movement. As you said it feels different when you wind it. Also, the date change happens at a completely different time compared to how it was before. They also gave me 12 months warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    When does the date change now? Is it not midnight?

Tudor GMT Date Issue

Before it went away to be fixed it would change at around 12:20, but take up to 5 minutes for the date to settle in the date window, or not as sometimes it got stuck halfway. Now it changes just after midnight.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Before it went away to be fixed it would change at around 12:20, but take up to 5 minutes for the date to settle in the date window, or not as sometimes it got stuck halfway. Now it changes just after midnight.

Ahh that sounds like all is well then.