closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rolex price rise - Jan 2022

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The Rolex board must sit in a room going "what can we get away with next"
    They can only say that because they have turned the brand image completely around. They could have implemented a much higher increase and the demand would still be there.

Like them or hate them, they know how to run a business.

Any idea what the OP36 126000 will now cost after the price hike?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The Rolex board must sit in a room going "what can we get away with next"
    Not really. The price of everything seems to have rocketed in the last 2 years and inflation is running away. Just look at house prices, fuel, home energy costs, car prices, eating out etc. If anything Rolex could double the price rises and to kind of quote you ‘get away with it’.

The issue is not being able to buy one at RRP for 90% of people nowadays.

Journeyman
    would this likely also apply to Tudor pieces?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    No

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Coronet king View Post
    No
    cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by warhog View Post
    I believe Tudor are also going up c5% on the 1st Jan too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    I believe Tudor are also going up c5% on the 1st Jan too.

thanks for this, may have to buy before new year

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sad times. Waiting lists for a steel DJ 41 now approx 1 year.
    Love the brand, but lost patience with all the AD BS.

a very caring company as they could have made it 300%

Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Agreed and I think this will have a huge impact on Rolex eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by seikomatic View Post
    a very caring company as they could have made it 300%
    Should have made it that to stop all these threads.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not all ADs are the same, some can be very helpful (as best they can). Others however clearly fuel the madness.

Master
    What would you suggest to stop the AD BS?

There are never ending posts on this on forums around the world.

As far as I can see, AD’s get X amount of Rolex watches and XXXXXXXXXX amount of people want to buy them. They can’t, there aren’t enough, nor will there ever be unless/until some of the X’s don’t want them anymore for whatever reason, be it affordability or desire. Rolex will never ever increase the number they make from X to XXXXXXXXXX. Firstly because they can’t increase production that much and secondly they will destroy the brand.

Yes some AD’s may/do sell to greys and some/many make you buy stuff you don’t want if you want to get what you do want. That’s business owners running their businesses how they see fit. Can’t see Rolex being able to police that world wide, not can I see all AD’s agreeing to operate the same world wide. No different to any other business.

For the last 5 years the market has been going this way. We as buyers have created it because we as buyers want Rolexes. Even more of us want what we can’t have. A lot ‘won’t’ be playing the game anymore but they’ll certainly let us know they aren’t playing it regularly.

Anyway that’s a lot of X’s, but I eXpect you were eXpecting that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post

As far as I can see, AD’s get X amount of Rolex watches and XXXXXXXXXX amount of people want to buy them. They can’t, there aren’t enough, nor will there ever be unless/until some of the X’s don’t want them anymore for whatever reason, be it affordability or desire. Rolex will never ever increase the number they make from X to XXXXXXXXXX. Firstly because they can’t increase production that much and secondly they will destroy the brand.

Yes some AD’s may/do sell to greys and some/many make you buy stuff you don’t want if you want to get what you do want. That’s business owners running their businesses how they see fit. Can’t see Rolex being able to police that world wide, not can I see all AD’s agreeing to operate the same world wide. No different to any other business.

For the last 5 years the market has been going this way. We as buyers have created it because we as buyers want Rolexes. Even more of us want what we can’t have. A lot ‘won’t’ be playing the game anymore but they’ll certainly let us know they aren’t playing it regularly.

I think the solution could be quite simple.

You register interest at the AD where they confirm an estimated build/ delivery date timeframe within say a 3 or 6 month period. If your happy with said date you pay a deposit and wait for it to arrive. At least this way you would know you have to wait for example 2, 3 or 4 years.

I personally think what annoys people is the mixed messages and all the games the AD’s play.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post

You register interest at the AD where they confirm an estimated build/ delivery date timeframe within say a 3 or 6 month period. If your happy with said date you pay a deposit and wait for it to arrive. At least this way you would know you have to wait for example 2, 3 or 4 years.

I personally think what annoys people is the mixed messages and all the games the AD’s play.
    My local AD does exactly that.

I asked about an Air King, he said 9-12 months and took a £500 deposit. I’m expecting it within the next 3-6 months.

No hassle and no grief and I’ll pick it up and pay the balance when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I asked about an Air King, he said 9-12 months and took a £500 deposit. I’m expecting it within the next 3-6 months.

They sound like a decent AD its a shame not all work this way.

The bit I don’t get is the apparent increase in demand versus numbers made. Rolex have always been popular, they used to be cheaper and much more available - and that was back when everyone wore a watch. Now a lot of people don’t bother with a watch, or wear a smart watch instead, the rising prices, lack of availability and service costs have pushed a lot of people out of the market and yet apparently they are now in such demand they can’t make enough. By who? What’s changed? Is it just instagram flexing and show offs and ‘investors’ ? Honest question, I don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    The bit I don’t get is the apparent increase in demand versus numbers made. Rolex have always been popular, they used to be cheaper and much more available - and that was back when everyone wore a watch. Now a lot of people don’t bother with a watch, or wear a smart watch instead, the rising prices, lack of availability and service costs have pushed a lot of people out of the market and yet apparently they are now in such demand they can’t make enough. By who? What’s changed? Is it just instagram flexing and show offs and ‘investors’ ? Honest question, I don’t get it.

Rising wealth (and demand) in China is a major factor vs just 10 years ago… then you combine that with Instagram hype and you have this crazy market…

Master

Just won’t happen although I agree with you and some do that or versions of that. Problem is though AD’s are their own businesses and sell to whoever they want to which is part of the problem - buy 10k of tat you don’t want and get a watch.

They sound like a decent AD its a shame not all work this way.
    They’re a ling established independent and not part of the WOS group who seem to be the main protagonists when it comes to treating customers with disdain.

Just won’t happen although I agree with you and some do that or versions of that. Problem is though AD’s are their own businesses and sell to whoever they want to which is part of the problem - buy 10k of tat you don’t want and get a watch.
    Yes totally agreed but it should.

I think it's something that Rolex could easily introduce and stipulate within their AD network. Rolex would only need some sort of portal set up for the AD to access which I guess they possibly have anyway to order watches in.

Long term I do not think the current situation will be good for Rolex and the whole display model thing has only made it worse. You can see the watch but we either are not taking registration of interest or we can register your interest but cannot confirm when you will receive it - Oh but if you buy a load of tat you don’t want we can get you it next month!

Its ridiculous and dated and many people that just want to purchase a nice watch will move on to other brands eventually.
    Last edited by boring_sandwich; 28th December 2021 at 14:54.

May well have been said but 4% price rise on a watch you can’t buy might as well be 40%

I do enjoy the irony of this thread. With most manufacturers, a thread about a price increase is an indication to potential buyers that they may want to take the plunge and save themselves a bit of money before the prices go up. With Rolex it's simply a way to inform potential Rolex customers how much extra they will have to pay for the watch that they're waiting for.

As far as the 'AD BS' is concerned, the current situation must be both welcoming and infuriating. In the first instance they know that certain models will easily sell so as long as they can get their hands on them then they have an income and the business keeps afloat. Of course the hindrance is the number of customers (and time wasters) who must call in to an AD to ask for a watch that they can't get and then want to be put on a hypothetical waiting list that some dealers might honour as a courtesy but others might see as extra work that they shouldn't really need to be doing. A waiting list for regular customers seems fine to me but for one off customers, when a watch comes in to stock would you really want to be trying to phone around people, hoping to get through and if some don't answer, keep that waiting list in order until they do answer or would you consider it easier simply to sell the watch to the first person that answers the phone. After all, if it's not a regular customer then in most cases you probably won't see them again. What about the watches that don't sell - are there any and how does the dealer convince the buying public to take one of those instead of jumping on to the hypothetical list because their friends and colleagues will be impressed by that BLNR even thought they don't know what BLNR means.

As others have said, the price rise is pretty much academic when you can’t buy the watch you’d like.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    As others have said, the price rise is pretty much academic when you can’t buy the watch you’d like.
    Not on new, no, but on used it’s a bit more real.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I do enjoy the irony of this thread. With most manufacturers, a thread about a price increase is an indication to potential buyers that they may want to take the plunge and save themselves a bit of money before the prices go up. With Rolex it's simply a way to inform potential Rolex customers how much extra they will have to pay for the watch that they're waiting for.

As far as the 'AD BS' is concerned, the current situation must be both welcoming and infuriating. In the first instance they know that certain models will easily sell so as long as they can get their hands on them then they have an income and the business keeps afloat. Of course the hindrance is the number of customers (and time wasters) who must call in to an AD to ask for a watch that they can't get and then want to be put on a hypothetical waiting list that some dealers might honour as a courtesy but others might see as extra work that they shouldn't really need to be doing. A waiting list for regular customers seems fine to me but for one off customers, when a watch comes in to stock would you really want to be trying to phone around people, hoping to get through and if some don't answer, keep that waiting list in order until they do answer or would you consider it easier simply to sell the watch to the first person that answers the phone. After all, if it's not a regular customer then in most cases you probably won't see them again. What about the watches that don't sell - are there any and how does the dealer convince the buying public to take one of those instead of jumping on to the hypothetical list because their friends and colleagues will be impressed by that BLNR even thought they don't know what BLNR means.
    Curious, is it just UK ADs business policy models who are the target of negative comments; or is it a global AD network issue?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Curious, is it just UK ADs business policy models who are the target of negative comments; or is it a global AD network issue?
    As far as I can gather, it's not all AD's but it does seem to be the majority rather than the minority and from what I've seen of comments from US Rolex customers, it's not just the UK

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    It is not academic if you are on the waiting list and your watch arrives 3, 5 or 10 years later.

used to have the impression that AD couldn't nor allow to sell above the listed price but it seems the caring company has made some concession....

Do those AD still keep cards for another year and forcefully peel off all the plastic stickers...I dare not to walk into AD so just curious

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I’ve always been under the impression the ADs don’t know what they are getting until a few days before delivery. Is this not the case ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    I’ve always been under the impression the ADs don’t know what they are getting until a few days before delivery. Is this not the case ?
    Mine says they get a delivery at the start of each month and they find out what’s in it shortly beforehand. I think they roughly know how many of each model to expect per year/delivery though

Quote Originally Posted by joe narvey View Post
    As far as I’m aware, they don’t know exactly what they are getting but make an estimate based on how many they usually get and how many others are waiting for one.
    As the Air King is a bit marmite, the number of people in the queue isn’t as great as other models.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aimforthebushes View Post
    Mine says they get a delivery at the start of each month and they find out what’s in it shortly beforehand. I think they roughly know how many of each model to expect per year/delivery though

Hmm.. I’ve had a few calls in the last 18months and it’s typically a call on the Thursday or Friday for what’s coming in on the Monday.

“Do you still want a..” call.

I see Rolex have now updated the prices on there website!

Sub is now £7150!

Master
    Yes, 10% for hot SS models, less % for other models.

Master
    I see Rolex have now updated the prices on there website!

Sub is now £7150!
    They could have pushed it up to £8150 and it would still sell like hotcakes.

Craftsman
    £7150 for a base Sub, that’s quite a jump.

Pity it wasn't a bigger increase.

Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Correct, but also hearing similar for the UK Gareth. £1k increase for a Pepsi, but a nominal £150 for a DD. Who knows if true however, I’m sure we will see soon enough.

Looks like you were spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdemon View Post
    £7150 for a base Sub, that’s quite a jump.
    £5700 for a Explorer 1 - ouch!

Craftsman
    £10,300 for the 43mm Seadweller, that's almost an 11% increase from £9,300

£8.6k for a blnr gmt now. In my head that’s still a £6.5k watch so that’s quite an increase in the last couple of years.

Master
    The gmt master 2 has increased by almost 50 percent since 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does any of this really matter. No one can get one and they are selling far more grey. On the GMT, if that watch was £15k RRP it would still sell.

They will sell anyway. So it’s a great result as always for both sides.

Rolex because they have more profit and the current owner as their watch has just gone up.

Only people that may suffer are grey dealers as I cant see their stock going up to the same level.

Rolex price rise - Jan 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Only people that may suffer are grey dealers as I cant see their stock going up to the same level.
    I wouldn’t bet on it; six months from now and todays grey dealer prices will probably seem cheap.

The Air King that I’m waiting for is now £600 more than yesterday. Still, at £5750, it’s still around the same price as the last one sold on SC for.
    Last edited by Dave+63; 1st January 2022 at 10:11.

Probably haha

Tudor also look like they’ve had an increase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Tudor also look like they’ve had an increase

The GMT on bracelet, for example, has increased from £3,040 to £3,200.

Sent from my SM-A202F using TZ-UK mobile app