closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Vfm Merino Base Layer

Craftsman

Vfm Merino Base Layer

As per the title any suggestions please for value level Merino base layer please e.g. below £40 per garment or does such a thing not exist.*

It will be a present for someone who fishes so I'm presuming merino will be better suited to being relatively static rather than the bamboo / polyester style ?

Any advice appreciated

TIA

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Have a look for 'DHB' merino base layers on Wiggle (wiggle.co.uk). I've been using them for years for both cycling and diving and think they're pretty good value. Size up if you're unsure on fit.

Lapasa on Amazon is good stuff for half the price of icebreaker

Master
    Go Outdoors have some Merino stuff around that

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mens/s:merino/gen:mens/

Master
    Blog Entries
    TK Max can have a good selection if you time it right

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve had EDZ in the past,not bad for the money.

Craftsman
    You’re going to think I’m mad but consider a ‘string’ vest from the likes of Brynje.
    I’m a year round cyclist and suffered with cold sweats making me freezing in the winter, until I discovered these and I now my base layers are redundant.
    I have a long sleeve version for winter and a short sleeve for summer because they work the other way round - keeping you cool - in the summer.

I really rate Dilling, which come in very close to your budget per garment. They're very careful with their merino too if you read their blurb.

I think you may also get a discount if you're a new subscriber to their newsletter...worth looking though they may have stopped that now.

https://uk.dilling.com/Base-Layers/Men/

The best VFM merino I could find was from Keela.

£49 for a basic top. Although I've just checked and they still have some on offer for £29 (limited qualities in sizes & colour though). With regards to sizing I would always size up, unless you like prefer a tight 2nd skin.

https://keelaoutdoors.com/product/tasman-merino-top/

A non merino wool option to look at is from Uniqlo and their heattech range. I personally prefer the Keela tops for more active endeavours, however the Uniqlo tops are good for 'being about the house'.

https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/men/inn...wear/innerwear
    Last edited by zippy; 10th December 2021 at 19:44.

Do check the descriptions properly, many things described as merino contain many other fibres, diluting the benefits that merino brings

Craftsman
    Thanks to everyone for their input on this. Much appreciated

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I think the Heat Tech base layers from Uniqlo are very good. Three levels of warmth available, "Standard", Extra and Ultra Warm. The Heat Tech socks are better than Heat Holders in my opinion.

Craftsman
    Was going to suggest Helly Hansen Lifa, but when I saw the price they are now Eek!
    Still very long lasting and very warm. I have one which is 20 years old give it take, worn lots and still going, although the newer one I have (only about 5 years old) is certainly less worn

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    TB, M&S quarter zip merino is a very good second to icebreaker although they run at £45?

Blog Entries
    My wife returned from Decathlon this afternoon with a complete merino base layer set for her skiing trip next month. Fairly cheap according to her

Master
    Dhb are good. I've a lot of Vulpine tops, not baselayers though, via sportpursuit at c£35-50 each as good quality, 100% merino and wash well.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Keep an eye out for Aldi ski wear ive had a few sets of their merino base layers which last time were £18 and are great.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk