closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PayPal payment

Master
    Blog Entries

PayPal payment

I have sold some speakers on Facebook market place. The guy sent me £55 deposit to hold them, trouble is not heard nothing since Saturday. He said he will collect them Tuesday (tonight), I have messaged him this afternoon and still nothing, is there any scam with this behaviour. I have checked my PayPal account money is there. Anyone have any thoughts or am I being paranoid.
    Last edited by hilly10; 9th November 2021 at 20:17.

Master
    At this point you have the deposit and the goods. Depends how they want to pay when they arrive. It maybe the buyer is just busy and or disorganised.

Journeyman
    Its not advisable to take PP for goods that are to be collected in person. Should the buyer turn up i would insist on cash and refund his PP deposit

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Its not advisable to take PP for goods that are to be collected in person. Should the buyer turn up i would insist on cash and refund his PP deposit
    Yes this,

My brother in law sold an iPad on Facebook, the guy paid in full by PayPal, collected the iPad and reversed the transaction. Not sure how this works but he lost the iPad.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    See how it plays out this week

I sold some stuff today via FB and the guy paid by PayPal, I have withdrawn the payment to my bank. Is that not a done-deal or am I missing something. Maybe there is too much buyer protection these days?

Quote Originally Posted by yumma View Post
    I sold some stuff today via FB and the guy paid by PayPal, I have withdrawn the payment to my bank. Is that not a done-deal or am I missing something. Maybe there is too much buyer protection these days?
    Depends how he sent it, friends and family vs business will make a huge difference if the buyer wants to make a claim.

What you withdrew into your bank will come straight back out if PayPal want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    Yes this,

My brother in law sold an iPad on Facebook, the guy paid in full by PayPal, collected the iPad and reversed the transaction. Not sure how this works but he lost the iPad.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    If PayPal goods & services, you definitely want proof of postage.

If PayPal friends & family, it shouldn't matter.

Apparently the buyer can confirm receipt of goods on the PayPal app - not that I’ve seen or tried such. Suggest you ask to take a photo of him alongside the item when he visits.
    Still prefer a bank transfer which is irreversible.

If it was PayPal friends and family the money is yours

If not he could say he’s not had them if he collects

Then PayPal will ask you to prove he did

Ask him to sign something to say he’s had them and check the name and signature from his bank card or drivers licence

Photograph said items etc

But I’d have not touched it any of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wonder why people think it will make any difference in your relationship with PayPal whether you wire the money to your bank or not?
    Last edited by Raffe; 10th November 2021 at 17:03.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    I always wonder why people think it will make any difference in your relationship with PayPal whether you wire the money to your bank or not?
    It can make a practical difference: If the only bank account connected with a PP account is a savings account (i.e. one which allows electronic deposits but not direct debit withdrawals) then it is possible to withdraw funds from PP to the bank account but PP then have no means to directly get the money back if they want it.

Of course, this won't stop them sending the boys round if they want the money back but it does give the account holder a little more control.

I have a PP account set up in this manner. It has no linked way to pay money in but it is linked to an instant access savings account for withdrawals.

I don't know if it's still possible to configure a PP account this way. I've had the above setup for a long time.

I still don't understand what difference it makes, you signed the PayPal terms and conditions and will end up owing them money. I promise you they will collect it from you, probably a lot more expensive and painful if the bailiff comes around rather than them just taking it from your account.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Refund the payment and either ask for full payment with s/h or F&F payment.

If he collects in person. He can file a complaint that item not received. PP will ask you for a tracking number. No number. Refund payment is your only option and he gets his money back and speakers (unless you know where he lives).

If PP have not changed anything. You sign up with a CC, so even if you clean out your bank account. They will charge you through your CC, so you will still end up paying.

DON

Doesn’t matter how he pays, can confirm collection on eBay app.

Master
    Blog Entries
    He is picking them up tomorrow and is paying cash for the balance. So he paid deposit of £50 friends and family and £200 in cash, I will take pictures of the speakers in his car and the reg.
    Last edited by hilly10; 15th November 2021 at 07:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Doesn’t matter how he pays, can confirm collection on eBay app.
    They were bought on Facebook Marketplace.