closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives, some advice…

Knives, some advice…

I know many of you have an interest in this subject so grateful for any advice or pointers you can offer please.
    Looking for a knife for use wild camping, so a general purpose tool for everything from cutting wood to smaller tasks. Not after anything folding, would prefer something sheathed and it needn’t be anything U.K. carry legal as the places we go camping are on friends’ land and even the police L200s won’t get in there (we’re only in trouble if the cops buy Land Cruisers or Hiluxes!)
    Only other must is an effective hand guard as the boy (14) will be using it too.
    Budget up to £300.
    Any tips gratefully received. Posting this before getting in the car for 100+ miles so please don’t be offended if I don’t reply before this evening.
    Thanks for any wisdom!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://morakniv.se/en/products/

No need to spend a fortune, any knife by Morakniv will be perfect but their base knife is great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Craftl...ps%2C81&sr=8-5

Amazon have them, I use one in the African bush and it’s perfect. (A bit thick for skinning though)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=morakni...s_ts-doa-p_3_8
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 1st November 2021 at 17:27.

If I was buying now I'd be looking at Tod Cutler .
    F.T.F.A.

I get all of my gear like that from https://www.heinnie.com - full section dedicated to bushcraft on there and they're really reliable for delivery etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    https://morakniv.se/en/products/

No need to spend a fortune, any knife by Morakniv will be perfect but their base knife is great.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mora-Craftl...ps%2C81&sr=8-5

Amazon have them, I use one in the African bush and it’s perfect. (A bit thick for skinning though)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=morakni...s_ts-doa-p_3_8
    Mora will be perfect. Don't think they are crap because they are cheap: they are excellent knives, the steel is easy to get shaving sharp. Anon serrated edge will be more versatile and easier to sharpen though. My daughter has had one since she was 10, and has learned to handle it properly. Use the money you saved from your initial budget to get you a little hatchet which is more suitable for cutting wood. Also, carrying knives is legal if you have good reason so even if they had HiLux or Defenders you would still be allowed to have them. Just don't go shopping (or for a drink) with them.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master

Knives, some advice…

Quote Originally Posted by FrontierGibberish View Post
    I know many of you have an interest in this subject so grateful for any advice or pointers you can offer please.
    Looking for a knife for use wild camping, so a general purpose tool for everything from cutting wood to smaller tasks. Not after anything folding, would prefer something sheathed and it needn’t be anything U.K. carry legal as the places we go camping are on friends’ land and even the police L200s won’t get in there (we’re only in trouble if the cops buy Land Cruisers or Hiluxes!)
    Only other must is an effective hand guard as the boy (14) will be using it too.
    Budget up to £300.
    Any tips gratefully received. Posting this before getting in the car for 100+ miles so please don’t be offended if I don’t reply before this evening.
    Thanks for any wisdom!

I had one made by a chap in Southport for just under that money. I think it was made from a suspension spring but is totally unique and serves me well when wild camping.

His name is Loz Harrop and well worth considering especially if you have design ideas to contribute.

https://www.lozharrop.com/gallery if

I tried to sell some superb ones on here and they are literally impossible to sell so i wouldnt go spending £300 on one unless you plan to keep it long term.
    The law in the UK is so awkward that people dont want anything to do with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Mora will be perfect. Don't think they are crap because they are cheap: they are excellent knives, the steel is easy to get shaving sharp. Anon serrated edge will be more versatile and easier to sharpen though. My daughter has had one since she was 10, and has learned to handle it properly. Use the money you saved from your initial budget to get you a little hatchet which is more suitable for cutting wood.
    This is my approach, a good Mora can be had for under £20, very sharp, solid sheath, solid handle and the spine makes a good spark on a fire steel, good kit needn't cost the earth.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Mora knives are excellent for the money but if you want something a little more special, I've used a friend's Lars Fält bushcraft Knife made by Casström, which is about £150 with curly birch handles and a leather sheath. We used it for food prep and fire prep. It was a joy to use. I'd like one but don't go out enough to justify it.

I think Lars Fält is the Norwegian Ray Mears.

He also swears by Esse knives but which one I'm not sure
    Last edited by dkpw; 1st November 2021 at 18:55.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Mora Garberg with ferroserium rod will hold it’s own against most knives. If you want a well made, hand forged and hand made knife. Loz Harrop Knives are brilliant.
    I have a Mora, a Gary Mills Timberwolf, Rob Evans BushTool and Two Loz Harrop knives, a hamon blade and a San Mai blade. Top notch
    Gary Mills, Rob Evans, Loz Hamon and San Mai

Mora is usually a good recommendation, but if you like feature-based approach:
    - not being a knife person, you'll want stainless rather than carbon steel (ease of maintenance + better for food preparation, if used for that)
    - full tang (durability)
    - blade length 4-5" (should be the most universal)
    - blade thickness: depends on how heavily you want to use it, I find anything over 3mm an overkill
    - blade shape: drop point (should be the most universal, but depends on the use and likes really)
    - grind: full flat (as above)
    - serrated blade -- only if you know you need it
    - handle guard: won't do much for safety unless the knife is handled safely in general, and can sometimes get in the way of the work you do

Wood work -- anything more than whittling, I'd recommend a camp axe and/or saw, well within your budget. Knives can 'cut' wood if you have nothing else at hand but are neither designed for nor the best tools for that.

Thanks chaps - some superb advice here and much to mull. I should have said that by “cutting wood” I didn’t mean from the tree. I have a brilliant Gransfors Bruk hatchet for that which has been a joy for years - I really meant shaping/sharpening.
    Will have a look at all of the suggestions above. This place is always a mine of great info.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    I tried to sell some superb ones on here and they are literally impossible to sell...
    That K1 you were selling, I checked the thread dozens of times but just didn’t follow through. Was a lovely knife and I’m still looking out for one. I don’t think it would have been impossible to sell though.

Master
    As said for the money Moras are great.
    If your after something nicer then there’s lots of choice I’m a fan of the work of Ammonite knives http://www.ammoniteknives.co.uk

Blog Entries
    As already said Heinnie are the go to place for plenty of choice.
    My main recommendation would be a stainless blade. The newer stainless steels are excellent for edge holding and take an edge really well. Carbon steel was good in its day but things move on.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Moras are great for the price. In the spirit of the “best knife is the one with you” have a look at the HH Spyderco urban or UKPK (but the latter is sold out currently). I tend to always have one in my pocket, they are so useful.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I go wild camping and I don’t take a knife(apart from a Leatherman), why would you need such a knife?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I go wild camping and I don’t take a knife(apart from a Leatherman), why would you need such a knife?
    Possibly?

coinflip near me

Thats a shame. I rather like squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos View Post

As my dad would say, if you’re unlucky you’ll find out.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As my dad would say, if you’re unlucky you’ll find out.

Are you suggesting you need a big knife when wild camping for self defence? Probably more useful in a city.

And as for processing dead wildlife that isn’t part of my activity.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Yes, they’re very tasty.

How about making one (or one each) with your son?
    I made a Karesuando one from an all-inclusive kit a few years back, and it makes a very nice field knife.
    The Karesuando kits I see now are 3 times what I paid, but there are things like this still out there.
    Only the most basic tools are needed to complete it, and it doesn't take too long.
    A pre-trip bonding experience?

D

ps - I also have a hatred of squirrels (they grey ones only). As a maintainer of woodland, they are runinous to all sorts of trees. Grey Squirrel damage to timber/woodland stock in the UK is in the tens of millions per year. The sooner Pine Martens make it down here from the Forest of Dean, the better.

Are you suggesting you need a big knife when wild camping for self defence? Probably more useful in a city.

A knife is an essential tool when camping, especially in the wild. Other than cutting your food, you can make feather sticks, you can use the spine to get sparks from your ferro rods; you can make spikes for your tent/awning…
    Basically it does everything better than your Leatherman which is a superb tool in a more civilised/mechanical environment.

Now we all agree that the best knife in the world is the one you have with you when you need it, so if the choice was between nothing and a leatherman I would take the latter.
    But I se really no reason to carry such a heavy tool full of useless bits (for camping) and so uncomfortable in the hand when there are so many better options.
    Add to that that it’s more expensive than a Mora and a Laplander.

Also, carrying knives is legal if you have good reason so even if they had HiLux or Defenders you would still be allowed to have them. Just don't go shopping (or for a drink) with them.
    Actually, that's made me think - I've walked into cafes and shops with my dive knife strapped to my leg before now and it's a stupidly big one (I do also have shears and a line cutter for fishing line, but having disentangled someone from kelp once, I like to cover all the bases! When I lost my previous knife it was spend a £100 on a similar sized, but unknown one or £30 on a bigger one, which I knew was reasonably good as a friend had had one for a few years.)

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Blog Entries
    A knife is an essential tool when camping, especially in the wild. Other than cutting your food, you can make feather sticks, you can use the spine to get sparks from your ferro rods; you can make spikes for your tent/awning…
    Basically it does everything better than your Leatherman which is a superb tool in a more civilised/mechanical environment.

Now we all agree that the best knife in the world is the one you have with you when you need it, so if the choice was between nothing and a leatherman I would take the latter.
    But I se really no reason to carry such a heavy tool full of useless bits (for camping) and so uncomfortable in the hand when there are so many better options.
    Add to that that it’s more expensive than a Mora and a Laplander.
    I just use a lighter to start the fire.

I use steel wool and a battery. Waterproof solution

Why a Leatherman? it's the most uncomfortable knife/saw you can use, and the other tools are useless in camping. I mean, some people do not understand why I have a SAK with me every day, and I don't mind because while I use it most days I could have access to the dedicated tool I need fairly easily most of the time.
    But if there is just one circumstance where you need a "proper" knife (fixed blade to eliminate weaker point, comfortable handle, etc.) camping is it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    D

ps - I also have a hatred of squirrels (they grey ones only). As a maintainer of woodland, they are runinous to all sorts of trees. Grey Squirrel damage to timber/woodland stock in the UK is in the tens of millions per year. The sooner Pine Martens make it down here from the Forest of Dean, the better.
    Unfortunately not good news for Mice, Birds, Voles and frogs! Balancing nature is always difficult, especially given large areas of cultivated/farmed unnatural habitat. (Don't ask me what the answer is.)

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Unfortunately not good news for Mice, Birds, Voles and frogs! Balancing nature is always difficult, especially given large areas of cultivated/farmed unnatural habitat. (Don't ask me what the answer is.)
    Agreed, but good for red squirrels, as they have co-evolved with Pine Martens, are more tree-borne and have a fear response to them.
    All of your examples also have the same co-evolved abilities (PMs are native) and were/are part of a balance that includes the PM.
    Where PMs are re-introduced or are naturally more common (less hunted in the past), the red squirrel has made a significant comeback at the expense of the greys, with no other species loss being reported.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    If you want a well made, hand forged and hand made knife. Loz Harrop Knives are brilliant.
    Loz is a very good friend of mine, known him for years.

Absolute top quality knives, plus he makes all his own sheaths and bone/wooden handles....https://www.lozharrop.com/

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why a Leatherman? it's the most uncomfortable knife/saw you can use, and the other tools are useless in camping.
    Leatherman as I’m camping by bike and the other tools have use for maintaining the bike.

What knife you needs depends on what you get up to when you camp I suppose.

Our approach is to try and leave the place as we find it so we don’t kill/eat any wildlife or cut any trees or bushes for tent pegs etc as we take what we need with us, and take it home.

If we do make a fire then we just gather wood and light it with a lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    Loz is a very good friend of mine, known him for years.

Absolute top quality knives, plus he makes all his own sheaths and bone/wooden handles....https://www.lozharrop.com/
    Got two of his and love em. The leather is the best of the other knives I’ve got.

Knives with their leather sheaves.
    I have an Opinel No8 Garden knife in inox as a neck knife. Razor sharp and used for food prep.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    So do I, they are very nice braised.

Knives with their leather sheaves.
    I have an Opinel No8 Garden knife in inox as a neck knife. Razor sharp and used for food prep.

That's one of the prettiest Rob Evans Bushtools I've seen. Mines in green micarta and was my go to fixie, until one from Mike Read/PITS arrived. Bushtools are fantastically hefty things in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    That's one of the prettiest Rob Evans Bushtools I've seen. Mines in green micarta and was my go to fixie, until one from Mike Read/PITS arrived. Bushtools are fantastically hefty things in hand!
    Had it made special to my choice of colours and sheaf colours. But I’m not a fan of it, not gelled with it.

Blog Entries
    Since there are a few people on here who appreciate knives, here's a few. Might help with a few ideas as well. All from before I started to concentrate on folders for my own amusement. (all long gone to owners btw!)

Small camp knife, rwl34+micarta

Bushcrafter 01carbon steel + Yew

Canadian Belt Knife style. rwl34+Stabilised and dyed box elder burl.

Hunter/camp knife. rwl34+desert ironwood.

All rounder utility rwl34+desert ironwood

And finally a pair of Hunter / camp knives both made for the same person. Damasteel + desert ironwood burl (expensive ingredients!)

Thanks for looking!

Nice work Oaky. Particularly like the yew one.

I'm going to go against the traditional bushcrafty grain.... This is my go to outdoors knife. As has been said. In combination with a small axe it does everything I need. Mostly dead animal prep. Probably used for about 15 years and never had the desire to take anything else even though I have others.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Of course not. I suspect your idea of wild camping and mine may be a tad different. Not taking a good working blade in to wild places is a bit like not taking spare socks, it’s fine right up until you realise you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    How about making one (or one each) with your son?
    I made a Karesuando one from an all-inclusive kit a few years back, and it makes a very nice field knife.
    The Karesuando kits I see now are 3 times what I paid, but there are things like this still out there.
    Only the most basic tools are needed to complete it, and it doesn't take too long.
    A pre-trip bonding experience?

D

My dad used to give me 50p a go for squirrel tails. He used them in fly tying.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by manganr View Post
    Nice work Oaky. Particularly like the yew one.

I'm going to go against the traditional bushcrafty grain.... This is my go to outdoors knife. As has been said. In combination with a small axe it does everything I need. Mostly dead animal prep. Probably used for about 15 years and never had the desire to take anything else even though I have others.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Thanks.
    I found people that use knives regularly often use smaller knives than you might expect. Perhaps one occasion when size isn’t everything.

Canadian Belt Knife style. rwl34+Stabilised and dyed box elder burl.

Ha, if someone asked me to name it based on looks, my answer would be a small nessmuk for sure -- but I see how those two designs can overlap. Nice work!

My most used blade by far . . .

F.T.F.A.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Of course not. I suspect your idea of wild camping and mine may be a tad different.
    I guess it must be. I assume you must be hunting?

We just turn up, eat, sleep and leave.

Nice knives there Oldoakknives now I know where your id name hails from.
    Thanks for sharing. I don’t own an axe so my knives need to be able to process wood for contained fires, baton small lumps of wood.

Blog Entries
    Nice knives there Oldoakknives now I know where your id name hails from.
    Thanks for sharing. I don’t own an axe so my knives need to be able to process wood for contained fires, baton small lumps of wood.

Thanks.

The best one is always the one that suits your needs.

This is my most used knife outside the kitchen. Buck 364, Heinnies had them on sale a while back. Small, light and sharp.

Since there are a few people on here who appreciate knives, here's a few. Might help with a few ideas as well. All from before I started to concentrate on folders for my own amusement. (all long gone to owners btw!)

Small camp knife, rwl34+micarta

Thanks for looking!
    That's a super one. Love the micarata!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    That's a super one. Love the micarata!
    Thanks, it's a great handle material.

Blog Entries
    [...]
    Thanks for looking!
    Wow, excellent work. This is something that deeply impresses me.