closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PRS-10 MkII automatic?

Craftsman

PRS-10 MkII automatic?

Eddie,

Now that the newer PRS-10Q has been "on the market" for a while. Is there still a chance for a auto (Miyota?) powered version of the PRS-10? Has the chance of a auto version increased or decreased?

HAGWE,
    /joakim

Re: PRS-10 MkII automatic?

Why use a Miyota movement? The Chinese 2824 should be fine and possibly cheaper too.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

It may require a different case.

I'd happily go with the Miyota, it's a straight drop-in for the case.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

Eddie
    ...and this means? :error: :?:

I'm getting ready for the standard Eddie answer. :)
    /joakim

Quote Originally Posted by jo.st

Eddie
    A jerky seconds hand that doesn't move smoothly, because it's an indirect drive solution. :(

Eddie
    Wouldn't they have to move the stem hole? The stem on the Miyota is further from the dial than on the the Ronda.

Quote Originally Posted by draz
    Quote Originally Posted by jo.st

Eddie
    A jerky seconds hand that doesn't move smoothly, because it's an indirect drive solution. :(
    Actually, all indirect seconds do not suffer from this problem. If the tension of the second hand pinion drag spring is correct, it will not flutter. JLC and Patek use it in some of their movements and few complain. I suspect the lack of good QA at Miyota is more to blame than the design.

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    Actually, all indirect seconds do not suffer from this problem. If the tension of the second hand pinion drag spring is correct, it will not flutter. JLC and Patek use it in some of their movements and few complain. I suspect the lack of good QA at Miyota is more to blame than the design.
    Ah, ok. Well, whatever the reason, the jerky movement of the seconds hands in Miyota movements was enough for me to sell a watch with one mounted. Couldn't stand it, every time I looked at it I winced.

I've got a Miyota ZEX and have never had any problems with the second sweep. In fact the miyota has proved to be an incredibly reliable and robust movement and keeps fantastic time. I would think it could be a good candidate for the PRS-10.

I can get some NOS German PUW movements.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

Eddie
    Would be intresting!

/joakim

Eddie
    That would be very interesting in a less british looking watch. Something a bit more Bauhaus maybe.

Eddie
    That would be interesting, depending on the caliber. PUW movements were in some ways superior to the run-of-the-mill ETAs.

Eddie
    That would most definitely be interesting, in the current PRS-10 case. If it’s going to be a handwound I’d say, go for an unscrewed crown and put me down for one.

I take it the movements will be oiled and timed, etc.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

Eddie
    That would most definitely be interesting, in the current PRS-10 case. If it’s going to be a handwound I’d say, go for an unscrewed crown and put me down for one.

I take it the movements will be oiled and timed, etc.

john
    It would be commercial suicide to use them if they weren't John. :wink:

Eddie

Grand Master

Much like the similarly priced IWC Ingenieur. :roll: :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Much like the similarly priced IWC Ingenieur. :roll: :wink:
    I recognize that I'm not the Greatest WIS among us and that there are a great many things about watches that I have yet to learn. The pros and cons of indirect drive seconds hands might be one of them. I just know that I had a popular diver which had a Miyota 8215 movement with indirect drive seconds hand and that it never moved smoothly around the dial. According to the internet forums at the time, this was primarily due to the fact that it was indirect drive design solution. Now, I'll admit, it might have to do with the quality control of that watch manufacturer, it might have to do with that particular movement design, or it might have to do with the fact that it was indirect drive seconds... I just know that EVERY time I looked at the watch and saw that seconds hand jerk its way around the dial I almost screamed.

Simple bottom line: I would love an automatic PRS-10 and quite frankly, I couldn't really care less what movement sits inside it, provided it works, is reliable, and has a SMOOTH seconds hand, i.e., in the same way that an ETA 2824 is smooth. Which I suppose is to say that it takes even steps and perfectly regular intervals, since technically you could argue that the ETA 2824 isn't smooth either, but you get my point.

OK. I'll go take my meds now. :confused2: :happy3: :wink:

EDIT: ...or I could provide some useful links on the matter:

http://www.timezone.com/library/workbench/workbench0002
    http://www.timezone.com/library/horo...70098360080701
    http://www.17jewel.com/two.html
    http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=2731183&rid=0

Grand Master

My remark was to some extent tongue-in-cheek. Until the indirect-second drive of the Ingenieur, direct seconds were considered superior. Once you sink all that money into an Ingenieur, however, people do find reasons to say indirect and direct seconds are on par. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Yeah, no worries, I did see the Smileys in your post. But I figured since I had my hobby horse out, I might as well go for a ride :D

Grand Master

Would definitely buy one!!! :)
    I wont be filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, I am not a number, I am a free man, my life is my own!!!
    Be seeing you
    Toodle pip
    Griff.

I'd be tempted by an auto PRS-10. Bought a quartz for my wife and have been really impressed by it (but prefer my quartz digital).
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Eddie

Could anybody please put up some information on the "German PUW" movements? I'm unaware of them and any technological pros and cons they might have in comparison to the Miyota and ETA movements also being considered for the mechanical version of the PRS-10.

Also, if these are obscure and no longer made, would that be a problem sourcing parts in the future?

for a second I read "German POW" movements :? :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon

Eddie

Could anybody please put up some information on the "German PUW" movements? I'm unaware of them and any technological pros and cons they might have in comparison to the Miyota and ETA movements also being considered for the mechanical version of the PRS-10.

Also, if these are obscure and no longer made, would that be a problem sourcing parts in the future?
    I'm a great fan of the PUW movements, as a matter of fact I regard the 15xx and 16xx automatics as some of the best auto movements ever made. Not as sophisticated as the IWC Pellaton or the JLC 889, but incredibly robust and with some clever design features. I've collected quite a lot of literature on these, what would you like to know?

Compared to the ETA's they are more robust, and modularly designed. This means that they on the one hand are much thicker, but can be safely handwound as the underlying winding mechanism is identical to the handwound version (cal. 3xx to 6xx). Winding is extremely smooth and creamy. The 16xx and 6xx have the best quick-set and quick-change mechanism I have ever seen, it can swallow just about any abuse thrown at it. Automatic winding is less efficient than on an ETA, as the rotor is not suspended in ball-bearings.

As for spare parts, my watchmaker (Rainer Nienaber) has a whole load of NOS parts. He also did a complete rebuild of one of them (the last generation 1663) and added hack seconds, more functional jewels, a different rotor and refinished the whole movement.

Eddie, which movement are you considering using? I'm assuming something from the 5xx-15xx range. A movement I'd really like to see in a modern watch is the 60/61, a chronometer movement. Or the 500, which still has some Glashuette heritage. I have one of the latter as well and it´s a very nice movement indeed.

Bernard

What's wrong with the Ronda. Eddie's PRS-10 is my only quartz watch and although quartz is not my preferred movement of choice, I think it's excellent in this model - reliable and it keeps great time.

David

Master

Bernard, Thank you very much for the information on the PUW movements. They must be good ones to draw your enthusiasm like that.

One thing you mentioned was that the rotors are mounted on plain bearings as opposed to the ball bearing rotor mounts that ETA uses in it's movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem as I believe I recently read somewhere on the Forum that Rolex uses plain bearings in it's own in-house movements.

One thing to ask though is when did PUW stop manufacturing movements and what happened to them? Was the decline in mechanical movement popularity after quartz hit the market in the 1970's in some way responsible for PUW ceasing production?

Thanks Again

One thing you mentioned was that the rotors are mounted on plain bearings as opposed to the ball bearing rotor mounts that ETA uses in it's movements. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't think that would be much of a problem as I believe I recently read somewhere on the Forum that Rolex uses plain bearings in it's own in-house movements.
    The more weight you have out side the diameter pivot the more efficient the winding will be. If you look and an ETA 2892, you will see a large mass inside the bearing race than does not move, this is essentially wasted mass. Older movements, like the PUWs have a steel post approximately 1.50 mm in diameter and a brass bearing in the oscillating mass.

The reason ETA went with such large ball bearing was the improved life without oiling in exchange for the loss if winding efficiency. Probably, a good exchange.

One thing to ask though is when did PUW stop manufacturing movements and what happened to them? Was the decline in mechanical movement popularity after quartz hit the market in the 1970's in some way responsible for PUW ceasing production?
    Pforzheimer Uhrenwerke was one of the many movement manufacturers that made run-of-the-mill movements, like AS, ETA, Durowe, and FHF. I don't think they were completely killed off in the eighties by the quartz revolution, but I don't think they make movements any more.

The more weight you have out side the diameter pivot the more efficient the winding will be. If you look and an ETA 2892, you will see a large mass inside the bearing race than does not move, this is essentially wasted mass. Older movements, like the PUWs have a steel post approximately 1.50 mm in diameter and a brass bearing in the oscillating mass.

The reason ETA went with such large ball bearing was the improved life without oiling in exchange for the loss if winding efficiency. Probably, a good exchange.

Agreed, but as the PUW automatics wind bi-directionally and thus have quite some resistance to overcome, they wind far less efficiently than ETAs. I really have to hand-wind my PUWs now and then, this is thankfully unproblematic.

Pforzheimer Uhrenwerke was one of the many movement manufacturers that made run-of-the-mill movements, like AS, ETA, Durowe, and FHF. I don't think they were completely killed off in the eighties by the quartz revolution, but I don't think they make movements any more.
    The factory in Pforzheim was bought over by SMH, the predecessors to Swatch, I believe in 1977. They continued production for a while, including the electromechanical movement which was seen as the most advanced at the time. Then SMH considered the PUW movements to be in-house competition for their ETA and ESA movements, and changed production in Pforzheim into parts manufacture for the Swiss movements. The factory still exists today. I always wondered what would have become of the PUW movements if they had been allowed to develop further, the last generation was on a par or better than comparative offers from Switzerland and IMHO better than what was produced in the GDR at the time. The latter is a bit ironic as the founder of PUW came from Glashuette and the first movement (PUW 500) produced at the factory was very close to a Glashuette movement (UROFA 58) in design....

This is from memory, so I apologise in advance for any mistakes. I'll get back on this when I have access to my books again.

Bernard

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cornflakes

Eddie
    That would be very interesting in a less british looking watch. Something a bit more Bauhaus maybe.
    Eddie... Bauhaus... Not seeing it, but would love to...

Craftsman

Something like the Stowa Antea, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Verkitso
    No. :evil:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

john
    What he said!

Enough other people doing that one, why should Eddie join in?
    Dave E

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E

john
    What he said!

Enough other people doing that one, why should Eddie join in?
    I don't particularly like the stowa antea either.

Craftsman

Blimey. What's not to like about the Antea?

Blimey. What's not to like about the Antea?
    I like the Antea, I'm just not convinced there's anything new/extra that Eddie could bring to that particular table.
    Dave E

Craftsman

PUW movement would be cool and doesn't have to be a bauhaus design.

The PUW movements available are the 13XX series and a few 15XX and 16XX.

Eddie

Master

How about this?

Apparently one of the first Portugieser from the late 30s?

(in the new IWC-"book/catalog", there is a bigger version of this picture,
    can scan it tomorrow)

It is beautiful and they are no more in production. :twisted:

Edit: Found another picture on the IWC-website:

courtesy of IWC

Cheerio, Frank

The PUW movements available are the 13XX series and a few 15XX and 16XX.

Eddie
    Great! The main difference between the generations is in the quick-set date mechanism (besides a different bridge layout in the 16xx), but this would only be relevant if you actually use the date. On the 1561 you change the date by pressing the crown, not very practical IMHO.

I'd love to see one of these in a centre-second marine chronometer-inspired watch... something like the new centre-seconds Dornblueth or a less baroque Breguet Marine

But then again, that's how my Nienaber came about, as an hommage to German marine chronometers.

Bernard

Quote Originally Posted by walkuere
    How about this?

Apparently one of the first Portugieser from the late 30s?

(in the new IWC-"book/catalog", there is a bigger version of this picture,
    can scan it tomorrow)

It is beautiful and they are no more in production. :twisted:

Edit: Found another picture on the IWC-website:

courtesy of IWC

Cheerio, Frank
    Yummie! But none of the movements mentioned have subsidiary seconds...

Bernard

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BernardF

Bernard
    Hm, bloody hell (there you go, I am just a Design-WIS)! Anyway, opened a
    new thread here about it, please support it if you like ;)

Cheerio, Frank

Master

Ah, ok. Well, whatever the reason, the jerky movement of the seconds hands in Miyota movements was enough for me to sell a watch with one mounted. Couldn't stand it, every time I looked at it I winced.
    You wouldnt like the Damasko DC56/7 then...

The chrono seconds hand was so jerky as to be laughable, especially in such a (supposedly) technically advanced watch... :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by walkuere

Bernard
    Hm, bloody hell (there you go, I am just a Design-WIS)! Anyway, opened a
    new thread here about it, please support it if you like ;)

Cheerio, Frank
    OK, see you over there then :wave:

Bernard

I'd love to see one of these in a centre-second marine chronometer-inspired watch... something like the new centre-seconds Dornblueth or a less baroque Breguet Marine

But then again, that's how my Nienaber came about, as an hommage to German marine chronometers.

Bernard
    Is there such an animal? :shock:

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Bernard

john
    Do you mean the Nienaber, or German marine chronometers? :mrgreen:

Check out:

http://www.nienaber-uhren.de

Bernard

Bernard

john
    Do you mean the Nienaber, or German marine chronometers? :mrgreen:

Check out:

http://www.nienaber-uhren.de

Bernard
    Sorry, I missed the red highlighting (reading on my PDA) on my first reading. Yes, there is a centre-sec DD indeed. They presented it at Basel:

http://www.dornblueth.com/flash.php?p=n ... tralsecond

I'm in love.... :drunken:

Bernard

Oh my that is fantastic :shock: :shock: :shock:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    You're not wrong :love4:

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    You're not wrong :love4:
    I'd love something like that!

There are a couple more marine chronometer hommages with centre seconds:

The Breguet Marine Big Date

I saw one in the flesh the other day, very nice but a little bit overdone, IMHO. Don't like the wave-shaped crown guards, for instance.

A German interpretation is the one I have, which has a PUW movement:

The Rainer Nienaber LE 2002

The case shape also tries to reproduce the case shape of the marine chronometers.

I know this has small seconds, but I also love this:

The RGM/EOT Model 22

Does anyone know any others?

Thanks,
    Bernard