closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy costs up by £425

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamdoor View Post
    I’m with Octopus and my fixed deal is soon ending. I’ll go on to their variable tariff for the moment as its price capped. Fixed deals too expensive at present.
    As above my fixed deal ends this month so it’s variable for now.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Still waiting for Octopus to transfer my AVRO payments and enable the promised new Octopus a/c ... Avro's administrator's have not taken the AVRO DD for last 2 months ... When I log onto my new Octopus a/c there is a standard message advising the changeover is still in progress

I'm not planning to chase Octopus ... up to them to sort it out as soon as they can ... they still have thousands of transferred accounts to activate
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    Still waiting for Octopus to transfer my AVRO payments and enable the promised new Octopus a/c ... Avro's administrator's have not taken the AVRO DD for last 2 months ... When I log onto my new Octopus a/c there is a standard message advising the changeover is still in progress

I'm not planning to chase Octopus ... up to them to sort it out as soon as they can ... they still have thousands of transferred accounts to activate
    Blimey mine was sorted at the start of Dec. The main issue you will have is a sudden big bill due to the lack of DDs made.

Energy costs up by £425

Forced from Neon to British Gas. Strangely they have not forced a direct debit on me and instead want me to pay as the bill is sent, suits me better as no silly overstated Direct Debit payments that put me into credit and potentially improves their cash flow .

Direct debit only gives a £35 year saving anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Octopus installed smart meters last week for us, I can't stop watching that energy monitoring device. 3 bed detached house, most probably we'll end up paying £180/month. With the price hike in April, I reckon will be towards £250. What a sad joke

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kokolino23 View Post
    Octopus installed smart meters last week for us, I can't stop watching that energy monitoring device. 3 bed detached house, most probably we'll end up paying £180/month. With the price hike in April, I reckon will be towards £250. What a sad joke

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk
    They’re compelling viewing…

I live in an old place and I’ve done everything…. ‘A‘ rated boiler, underfloor insulation and full Drayton Wiser rad control system…. But, the gas usage is still horrific (about £50 a week)…

54%. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    54%. Ouch.
    50% was predicted, but what will the regulator when profits soar?

Craftsman
    Big hike - £2k energy bill for average household and interest rates up same day as well plus inflation estimated to be 7.4% by April. Government pushing ahead with 1.25% NI increase from April as well. Average pay rise 2-3%?

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I’ve got a gas engineer mate who’s adamant that his bill will be staying at £80 a month even when his fixed contract ends.
    He reckons it’s a scam to frighten people into increasing their direct debits. I’ve just increased my DD to £350 a month. I do run an EV as a taxi though.
    My mates in for a shock.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    I’ve got a gas engineer mate who’s adamant that his bill will be staying at £80 a month even when his fixed contract ends.
    Maybe he’s managed to get his meter bypassed.

I suspect lots of people are blissfully ignorant. It’s criminal what it will do to millions of people.

Craftsman
    So what happened to all
    The Green Energy then ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    So what happened to all
    The Green Energy then ?
    The wind doesn’t blow enough!!

Master
    We went on earlier to try and sort out mother in laws tariff and the variable option had disappeared.

Master
    Current DD £432 a month for dual fuel
    Christ knows what the new one will be. Heading out to buy some blanket’s .

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post

How much? Jeez! Is it a mansion with no windows?

In our two-bed terrace I was paying £100 with Green, then Green told me the prices were going up to the price cap level and estimated the new bill at £137, then Shell took over at the price cap rate and told me the new DD would be £105?!?

I knew that couldn't be right so set it at £150, and for the past three months, with the heating on pretty much all day, it's coming in at £140ish.

The shock will come in April when we'll be in our new bigger house with an ancient boiler. I'm estimating £200+. Luckily we shouldn't be using the heating all day, but next winter will be an eye-opener for sure.

But £420… how?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How much? Jeez! Is it a mansion with no windows?

The shock will come in April when we'll be in our new bigger house with an ancient boiler. I'm estimating £200+. Luckily we shouldn't be using the heating all day, but next winter will be an eye-opener for sure.

But £420… how?
    Used to be £480/mt when the three kids were at home and it's been at that level for a number of years.
    1930's house(fairly big but not a mansion by any means) with timber case and sash windows.
    Always someone in too so the heating tends to always be on.
    A lot of bathrooms-underfloor heating/showers.
    NASA levels of computers running constantly.
    Kids who don't wear any item of clothing more than once hence washing machine and tumble drier are on constantly.
    And the Mrs still complains about the house being cold.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie1 View Post
    So what happened to all
    The Green Energy then ?
    Who said green energy was cheap?

One this they have done is pulled what they can out of the CfD scheme in order to profit from high market prices. It's not just gas producers profiteering.

Once (if) the market falls back they will dump their wind farms back into the scheme and demand we start subsidising them again

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    We went on earlier to try and sort out mother in laws tariff and the variable option had disappeared.
    It will default to the variable/cap rate when her tarrif expires. Don't sign up for anything else until things are clearer, it looks like it may still be the cheapest option to just stay put.

Pop into an estate agents on the way and sell it.

Better get building some petrol and diesel fired power stations asap

Master
    Blog Entries
    At least one Tory donor has been stopped profiteering

https://www.theguardian.com/business...s-profiteering

Brief history:
    I was with NPower and switched to Igloo, then switched again sharpish to Avro within a few months.
    Igloo went bust when i was still one of their customers then on the evening before my proposed switchover date so too did Avro.
    I`ve had a refund of credit from Igloo but heard nothing from Avro, the company who has been apointed to take over Avro customers, Ofgem or anybody else since.
    I`m probably going to get a huge surprise sooner or later...........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitch View Post
    At least one Tory donor has been stopped profiteering
    Please, no politics

"Unwind with a pint or two in our own virtual pub. Friendly banter and clean jokes please and no politics or religion."

Used to be £480/mt when the three kids were at home and it's been at that level for a number of years.
    1930's house(fairly big but not a mansion by any means) with timber case and sash windows.
    Kids who don't wear any item of clothing more than once hence washing machine and tumble drier are on constantly.

My head hurts thinking about it.

Our two are nearly 15 and 11, and they've already made it known that the new house is going to be their 'teenage playground'.

They might be in for a shock once I start charging them for laundry and leccy.

I only have an electric bill as theres no gas in the area and Januarys bill was £320. I overpaid in the year and built up a nice credit for the winter of around £500 but since October thats now virtually gone. So much for the government wanting everyone to go to electric boilers, my bloody thing is 14.4 kw…do the maths for just 1 hours of running time! I stopped heating the water with the boiler shortly after we moved in as I realised leaving the immersion on all the time and let it pulse on and off was the best and cheapest way. With the solar panels my bills can be as little as a few quid a day in the summer but come the winter its way past that by the time i wake up in the morning as the heatings cut in to get the house up to temp. I only heat downstairs also as the 2nd and 3rd floors stay pretty warm so this year were installing a log burner and with todays prices I’ll recoup the money in next to no time.

Something’s not right there. Only got the 2 kids - but the oldest seems to shower 3 times a day, the youngest has Down’s syndrome and the washing machine and dryer seem to be on every day. House is a 2000 built detached 6 bed over 3 floors with under floor heating, and even when I worked from home for a year, my eldest was at home from Uni and my youngest was not at school for over a year due to his vulnerability - the bill never went over £240 a month. We also have an outbuilding with its own heating and that was used for an hour or 2 every evening over lockdown. We tend to have the thermostats set at 19-20 and wear normal clothes (ie not just shorts and t shirts in December) - the house is certainly warm. I’m really shocked by that cost tbh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Something’s not right there. Only got the 2 kids - but the oldest seems to shower 3 times a day, the youngest has Down’s syndrome and the washing machine and dryer seem to be on every day. House is a 2000 built detached 6 bed over 3 floors with under floor heating, and even when I worked from home for a year, my eldest was at home from Uni and my youngest was not at school for over a year due to his vulnerability - the bill never went over £240 a month. We also have an outbuilding with its own heating and that was used for an hour or 2 every evening over lockdown. We tend to have the thermostats set at 19-20 and wear normal clothes (ie not just shorts and t shirts in December) - the house is certainly warm. I’m really shocked by that cost tbh!

It makes a big difference if you have a modern house with good insulation. We have a reasonably large detached Victorian property and the combined gas and electric on that is >£400/ month. Doesn’t help that we have 2 electric cars too but that is probably less that £20/ month. We have been making a conscious effort not to waste electric and our daily usage has come down from an average of 45kw/ day this time last year to 33kw/ day this year.
    Bizarrely though since I switched to Octopus last September they haven’t actually billed me at all yet so the monthly payments are just accumulating in my account.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It makes a big difference if you have a modern house with good insulation. We have a reasonably large detached Victorian property and the combined gas and electric on that is >£400/ month.
    Agree. Makes a huge difference. I moved from a modern property to a 1930s 3-bed semi and the difference in heat retention is noticeable, even with double glazing.

Quote Originally Posted by E_2_Right-Force View Post
    Brief history:
    I was with NPower and switched to Igloo, then switched again sharpish to Avro within a few months.
    Igloo went bust when i was still one of their customers then on the evening before my proposed switchover date so too did Avro.
    I`ve had a refund of credit from Igloo but heard nothing from Avro, the company who has been apointed to take over Avro customers, Ofgem or anybody else since.
    I`m probably going to get a huge surprise sooner or later...........
    Depending on how it worked out, you may be with Igloo's replacement (E.ON Next) or Avro's (Octopus). I too officially switched to Avro on the day they went bust, but my billing with them continued for three days before going to Octopus. I've only just heard from them (unsurprisingly given the circumstances) and am also querying the loss of credit balance. Octopus are once again being extremely easy to deal with - I regretted leaving them a couple of years back!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Agree. Makes a huge difference. I moved from a modern property to a 1930s 3-bed semi and the difference in heat retention is noticeable, even with double glazing.
    And there I was thinking of moving from my large modern house to a smaller, more rural period house further out in the sticks. Not much point downsizing my property if I simultaneously upsize my bills!

Master
    Blog Entries

Energy costs up by £425

We went from modern terrace to detached cottage. Night and day increase in running costs.

I’m more annoyed that my LPG suppler is placing a 10.5p per ltr surcharge on orders due to the current climbate. That’s a big hike on 32p pl. we do have electric back up ( underfloor heating) but the electric is expensive too.

Some people are going to really struggle and I feel for them.

Master
    I have no idea what our new kitchen underfloor heating will do to our bills.

Read you’re supposed to keep it on low and then boost vs on-off cycling. Have it on 18 low and 21 high for 3hrs in the evening and a couple of hours in the morning.

Wondering if I should be having it lower still during the day.

Don’t worry, you get used to the cold. I keep my house between 14C and 15C and live perfectly comfortably. With an appropriate fleecy jumper, it only starts to feel chilly below 14C. Electric blankets and throws keep the costs down.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I have no idea what our new kitchen underfloor heating will do to our bills.

Read you’re supposed to keep it on low and then boost vs on-off cycling. Have it on 18 low and 21 high for 3hrs in the evening and a couple of hours in the morning.

Wondering if I should be having it lower still during the day.
    My Mrs managed to leave its on 38 deg and leave the house ( why it even allows you in the settings is beyond me)

Master
    Don’t worry, you get used to the cold. I keep my house between 14C and 15C and live perfectly comfortably. With an appropriate fleecy jumper, it only starts to feel chilly below 14C. Electric blankets and throws keep the costs down.
    I’m a bit like that, when I go to my partners hers is at 32C it’s a bigger shock when she stays at mine. When her bills go up it’s going to be a big shock for her.

Brent crude oil now at $93 per barrel (it was $65, 3 or 4 weeks before Xmas).

Fill up your tanks as diesel will soon be over £1.60/L (or £7.26 per gallon in old money).

Inflation is going higher by the day.

An it probably keeps the weight off by burning calories to keep your core warm.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    My Mrs managed to leave its on 38 deg and leave the house ( why it even allows you in the settings is beyond me)
    Ouch that is stupidly hot.

I’ve turned it down to 16 in the day and 20 in the evening / morning. Will see what it is like - did like the way it turned the coldest room more comfortable but then need to open windows when I am cooking and getting a sweat on.

Master
    Today is 8C outside, house has been about 15C all day with me in a TNF fleece and a base layer. I’ve just tweaked the heating on slightly as my hands are cold and finding typing harder.

I could put on some fingerless gloves, but there are limits.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    An it probably keeps the weight off by burning calories to keep your core warm.
    cold thickens the blood, very bad news for the elderly Doctors say

Master
    5 bed 4 story house here (me, the wife and two teenage daughters). Dual bill has gone up from £96 to £125 and now predicted £145 (with Octopus and have been for quite a while). My house is only 2 years old though which reading comments on here seems to be softening the blow a bit.

That's toasty - my normal is 12c and absolutely fine with my lined trousers and Oodi. [But, seriously, good on you going for a lower temp. I'm sure it's healthier.]

I realise the energy cost has increased but why have the standing charges skyrocketed?

Shell Energy coming off a fixed deal.

Gas: 7.88 to 26.11 pence per day.

Electric: 10.57 to 24.11 pence per day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post
    I realise the energy cost has increased but why have the standing charges skyrocketed?

I imagine suppliers (especially the smaller outfits) are clawing in as much revenue as humanly possible to help cushion against inevitable future shocks. Standing charges are probably fair game in their eyes.

It’s likely that most of us here are able to cope with these increases (no one likes it obviously) but please do spare a thought for the millions that are going to really suffer. Some of the interviewees on the news last night looked genuinely desperate (and terrified). Difficult times ahead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I imagine suppliers (especially the smaller outfits) are clawing in as much revenue as humanly possible to help cushion against inevitable future shocks. Standing charges are probably fair game in their eyes.

It’s likely that most of us here are able to cope with these increases (no one likes it obviously) but please do spare a thought for the millions that are going to really suffer. Some of the interviewees on the news last night looked genuinely desperate (and terrified). Difficult times ahead.
    I agree that most on here can probably absorb the extra costs, but we shouldn't have to, we have enough fuel of our own without having to import such large quantities, if only we were allowed to access it.
    These stupid promises about reaching certain goals by whatever date are killing us, but they make headlines, I'm all for saving the planet, but make it affordable to the masses, not just the few.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickeros View Post

Be prepared for them going up from 1 April. The electric one nearly doubles

https://twitter.com/martinslewis/sta...986500100?s=21

We are fortunate that we can cope with the increases but millions are going to suffer with this and NI and general inflation of food prices.

Anyone know why the prices have gone so high? What is the reason for it?
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    I agree that most on here can probably absorb the extra costs, but we shouldn't have to, we have enough fuel of our own without having to import such large quantities, if only we were allowed to access it.
    These stupid promises about reaching certain goals by whatever date are killing us, but they make headlines, I'm all for saving the planet, but make it affordable to the masses, not just the few.
    I agree. We are crippling ourselves to go “green” whenRussia, USA, India and China plow on. Zero emissions for the UK makes little difference in world terms.

Almost double the price for my latest oil fill, £1250. No how long that lasts, but it will be interesting to see. I’ll probably have to get better about making sure the heating is off while I’m out.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    The heating bills are still cheaper than the ensuing divorce that would come from sub 20 degree settings
    Ours is 21 and daren't be set lower