closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New member - weak but sentimental collection!

Apprentice

New member - weak but sentimental collection!

Hi all, I’ve been lurking on the forum for over a year now since I spotted a BB58. It was my wedding anniversary and we’d ditched the kids for the weekend and went shopping. I couldn’t justify the price then (struggling to now) but roll on a year later and after letting my wife choose an eternity ring in Goldsmiths, she convinced me to get one over an Oris Divers sixty-five!

I’ve always worn watches and had in interest in them since my uncle gave me an old Casio from a car boot sale. That’s long gone but here’s what’s left:

After not getting the BB58 last year I thought I’d get a cheap automatic watch to see if it kept my interest and to see if I could keep it in relatively good shape so I bought the Invicta for about £40 from Amazon (don’t hate me). It’s just spent most of the week in the sea and it still works.

Before that I had an Apple Watch which was great for running but I hated the constant harassment of it beeping and vibrating all the time. No picture but you know what they look like.

This Armani was a previous anniversary present but I destroyed it when I attempted to remove the battery:

Before that I had this huge diesel watch:

Going even further back in time I had this Nixon which an ex girlfriend bought me for Christmas one year. I like this one, it’s not going to win any points on here but it’s a solid watch.

Before that I had this Accurist which was a hybrid of both analogue and digital. The digital element took up most of the screen which was cool. Bracelet is atrocious!

And last but not least is my old G-Shock which my dad picked up for me when he was on a work trip once. It’s has some cool type of code on the back. Model number: DW-8800

They all live in this old box of assorted tea bags from Harrods

So I suppose I’ve been accidentally collecting for years. They’re not exciting watches or valuable but getting the Tudor and joining this forum has me interested in watches again!

Apprentice
    I just need to get my post count up now so I can hit sales corner!

Also, if you have a nice leather strap for the BB58 I’m all ears

Welcome to the forum and that’s a nice Tudor. As for the other watches, they are just as important as they matter to you, and that is what counts.

Stick around, as it is a mostly interesting place to hang out, until someone throws a wobbly.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    Welcome to the forum and that’s a nice Tudor. As for the other watches, they are just as important as they matter to you, and that is what counts.

Stick around, as it is a mostly interesting place to hang out, until someone throws a wobbly.
    Thanks, I’ve been lurking for a year on and off so I know not to start threads on how long it will take to get a Rolex etc!

Craftsman
    Code on the back is ground to air code.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by cnjm1 View Post
    Code on the back is ground to air code.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Ah, so it is! Thanks!

Master
    I'm glad you chose the Tudor over the Oris. I love my '65 but there genuinely is no comparison, the Tudor is an amazing piece.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I'm glad you chose the Tudor over the Oris. I love my '65 but there genuinely is no comparison, the Tudor is an amazing piece.
    Oris has interested me due them being a sponsor of the Williams F1 team. Sir Frank himself presented my step dad with this for 25 years working for the team

New member - weak but sentimental collection!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks on here. Love the Tudor BB - an excellent choice!
    Great to see a collection of watches that mean something to you, I’m my opinion that is more valuable than anything else in this hobby.

T.G.

Nothing weak about that collection at all, and agree with the comments above regarding value to you. Sounds like your wife has a good eye too. Wish mine would give me some valuable input regarding potential purchases..........probably would have saved me thousands over the years.

Any plans to add anything to your stable?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RLE View Post
    Nothing weak about that collection at all, and agree with the comments above regarding value to you. Sounds like your wife has a good eye too. Wish mine would give me some valuable input regarding potential purchases..........probably would have saved me thousands over the years.

Any plans to add anything to your stable?
    Thanks for your kind words. No plans just yet, maybe a more modern G-Shock for days when the Tudor might get ruined although I’m planning on wearing it most of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks on here. Love the Tudor BB - an excellent choice!
    Great to see a collection of watches that mean something to you, I’m my opinion that is more valuable than anything else in this hobby.

T.G.
    Thanks for the welcome!

Blog Entries
    Welcome and thanks for showing your collection! As others have said it’s the value to you which probably is more important than the monetary value. Careful though - this place can get additive. Martyn
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Welcome, I have quite a few watches with little monetary value but as others have said, it’s the value to you that makes them special. Thanks for sharing, it’s always good to see them.

I like that Frank William's Oris, its a good looking watch even without the back story. And everyone has had a Diesel watch at some point in their life!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Welcome to the forum.

It's good to see that you have kept your progressive collection, and it's definitely going in the right direction.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I love the hands on that Accurist, like a 1940s JLC.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Welcome and thanks for showing your collection! As others have said it’s the value to you which probably is more important than the monetary value. Careful though - this place can get additive. Martyn
    Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    Welcome, I have quite a few watches with little monetary value but as others have said, it’s the value to you that makes them special. Thanks for sharing, it’s always good to see them.
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    I like that Frank William's Oris, its a good looking watch even without the back story. And everyone has had a Diesel watch at some point in their life!

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

It's good to see that you have kept your progressive collection, and it's definitely going in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Hi, welcome to the forum. I love the hands on that Accurist, like a 1940s JLC.
    Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Master
    Popping by to say hello,welcome and thanks for sharing your collection and the stories behind them!
    Not all things have to be expensive to be treasures.

Craftsman
    Belated welcome to the forum for last year! And thanks for sharing, the Oris is a great story, and the g shock is cool.

Having recently got a BB58 (albeit in blue) I think they're just fantastic - it's currently one second out having been set 9 days ago?! I think even at RRP their such good value for money (not an opinion I'd have had before the slippery slope of joining the forum!).

Edited to add - my BB58 is currently on a leather strap from Pav79 (member on here) and his strap is excellent quality and was well priced so maybe ping him a message to see if he's got anything in stock?
    Last edited by greenandblack; 27th August 2021 at 15:01.

Master
    Hi. Healthy variety going on there.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Hi ya!
    Nice invicta, it's quite a cult watch
    Look up john holbrok iii + invicta on the web, should be fun

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Master
    Welcome to the forum. You are starting from a better place that I did with a MWC and a Seiko Kinetic.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Davidd View Post
    Popping by to say hello,welcome and thanks for sharing your collection and the stories behind them!
    Not all things have to be expensive to be treasures.
    Thanks for the welcome, David.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by greenandblack View Post
    Belated welcome to the forum for last year! And thanks for sharing, the Oris is a great story, and the g shock is cool.

Having recently got a BB58 (albeit in blue) I think they're just fantastic - it's currently one second out having been set 9 days ago?! I think even at RRP their such good value for money (not an opinion I'd have had before the slippery slope of joining the forum!).

Edited to add - my BB58 is currently on a leather strap from Pav79 (member on here) and his strap is excellent quality and was well priced so maybe ping him a message to see if he's got anything in stock?
    Thanks for the strap info. Will take a look into it!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Hi. Healthy variety going on there.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Cheers!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by bubi View Post
    Hi ya!
    Nice invicta, it's quite a cult watch
    Look up john holbrok iii + invicta on the web, should be fun

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Will do, I’ve watched a couple of modding videos purely to work out how to remove the bezel because mine click when you push down in the top of it so will have a go at removing at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    Welcome to the forum. You are starting from a better place that I did with a MWC and a Seiko Kinetic.
    Not a million miles away! Thanks for the welcome.

Journeyman
    Nice Tudor, can't think of a better watch around the £2.5k price mark!

Quote Originally Posted by MattAttack View Post
    Thanks, I’ve been lurking for a year on and off so I know not to start threads on how long it will take to get a Rolex etc!
    Well, Ive been here for a decade and I was brave/optimistic/daft enough to start exactly such a thread not long ago - so youre a better learner than me!

Enjoy the forum!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 25807st View Post
    Nice Tudor, can't think of a better watch around the £2.5k price mark!
    Thanks, just got to get used to wearing it and not worrying about the cost!