closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brining

Brining

Wondering if anyone has any experience of brining meat?

I want to brine a pork shoulder (5kg) before marinating and then cooking in a Big Green Egg.

I've read that it's important not to brine for too long (and risk making the meat too salty) but also that pork takes a long time to brine properly. I was thinking that 12 hours should do it? Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any experience of brining meat?

I want to brine a pork shoulder (5kg) before marinating and then cooking in a Big Green Egg.

I've read that it's important not to brine for too long (and risk making the meat too salty) but also that pork takes a long time to brine properly. I was thinking that 12 hours should do it? Thanks all.
    I've never brined a joint but regularly use it for pork chops and chicken breasts (although I now prefer to marinade the latter). I took my guidance from this link...All About Brining. For 1 litre of water I use 60 g salt (4 tbsp) and 30 g sugar (3 tbsp) plus thyme or a bay leaf etc as available.

I usually brine at room temperature but refrigerate if going for overnight. Personally I don't mind if I get a taste of salt from the process as it's never been too much and all I have to do is remember not to add any more to the dish once it has been served up.

What do you want to get from brining it? I've certainly seen the benefit brining a turkey, but never the same benefit with pork. Pork shoulder properly done on a kamado is as good as meat gets for me, brine has never improved it.

Master
    I haven’t used this myself but generally the serious eats site is good for process

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-dry-brine

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    I've never brined a joint but regularly use it for pork chops and chicken breasts (although I now prefer to marinade the latter). I took my guidance from this link...All About Brining. For 1 litre of water I use 60 g salt (4 tbsp) and 30 g sugar (3 tbsp) plus thyme or a bay leaf etc as available.

I usually brine at room temperature but refrigerate if going for overnight. Personally I don't mind if I get a taste of salt from the process as it's never been too much and all I have to do is remember not to add any more to the dish once it has been served up.
    Thanks, that's really helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    What do you want to get from brining it? I've certainly seen the benefit brining a turkey, but never the same benefit with pork. Pork shoulder properly done on a kamado is as good as meat gets for me, brine has never improved it.
    I'm going to be cooking low and slow, I think brining helps the meat from drying out too much?

Thanks, that's really helpful!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to be cooking low and slow, I think brining helps the meat from drying out too much?
    Yeah that’s the case with lean meat like chicken or turkey, but pork shoulder has enough fat that I can’t see the benefit.

Worth a try though if you’ve not done it.

I would try a spicy dry brine for pork.

Yeah that’s the case with lean meat like chicken or turkey, but pork shoulder has enough fat that I can’t see the benefit.

Worth a try though if you’ve not done it.
    Found this on the web:

"In its most basic form, brine is just a mix of salt and water to aid water retention. However, with pork shoulder already being relatively high in fat content, the moisture that this alone will give us is often enough to negate the need for added moisture.

However, I recommend you still do it.

Why? Despite brining being a means to add moisture, brining is also a way for us to infuse our meat with added flavors, and I just love the taste of pork with added flavors like apple, lime or pecan."

https://theonlinegrill.com/how-long-...pork-shoulder/

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    I would try a spicy dry brine for pork.
    I was going to try either this recipe:

10 cups water
    ¾ cups salt
    ½ cup sugar
    4 sprigs rosemary
    2 tbsp peppercorns
    2 bay leafs
    ½ onion
    6 cloves garlic, peeled

Or this one:
    Pork Brine Ingredients

1 litre boiling water
    1/2 cup sea salt
    1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns (grind them freshly in a mortar and pestle)
    2 teaspoons cloves
    5 bay leaves
    1 litre cold water

How long would you slow cook a 5kg joint for?

Craftsman
    How long would you slow cook a 5kg joint for?
    I cook pork shoulder on a low temperature 115-125C until the internal temperature reaches 95C, this ensure the fat renders down, let rest for at least an hour and the pork will be lovely and moist. A 3kg shoulder using the above took approx 8 hours but it does vary a lot depending on how long the cook "stalls" for.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    I cook pork shoulder on a low temperature 115-125C until the internal temperature reaches 95C, this ensure the fat renders down, let rest for at least an hour and the pork will be lovely and moist. A 3kg shoulder using the above took approx 8 hours but it does vary a lot depending on how long the cook "stalls" for.
    Thanks, that's helpful. So for a 5kg shoulder do you reckon about 16 hours should do it?

Craftsman
    Thanks, that's helpful. So for a 5kg shoulder do you reckon about 16 hours should do it?
    I wouldn't know how much longer it would take for 5Kg. but would guess at 12-14 hours. As shoulder is relatively cheap I'd do a trial run before entertaining guests and that will help you. Good luck.

The Brining

Okay, here's what I'm thinking for my pork shoulder:

- Brine it for 12 hours
    - Rub it and marinate it for 10 hours
    - Cook it for 18 hours at 110
    - Let it rest for 2 hours

Sound like a plan?

Craftsman

- Brine it for 12 hours

Sound like a plan?
    Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by wotsthecrack View Post
    Exactly, cook to temp not time, but it’ll be best done overnight.

- Brine it for 12 hours

Sound like a plan?
    I would say if you’re brining for 12 hours, be careful leaving it in a rub and marinade for 10 hours, as I bet the rub contains a lot of salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, 18 hours seems totally arbitrary! Cook it till it’s done, then rest it wrapped, in an insulated box.

I would say if you’re brining for 12 hours, be careful leaving it in a rub and marinade for 10 hours, as I bet the rub contains a lot of salt.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, 18 hours seems totally arbitrary! Cook it till it’s done, then rest it wrapped, in an insulated box.
    Not too much salt in the rub?

Pork Rub Ingredients:
    2 teaspoons table salt
    2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
    4 teaspoons dark brown soft sugar
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/2 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon chilli powder

Agree that the timing is hard to predict, I was thinking anywhere between 12 and 18 hours.

I have only ever done a classic/basic dry rub on Pork shoulder; I’m certain I saw it on Jamie Oliver in America, basically equal mix of brown sugar, salt and Paprika, then a generous amount of black pepper. I usually roll the meat in Olive oil to moisten it and help the rub stick. Towards the end of the cooking process I smother with honey to create a glaze.

So many options. I recently heard someone say brining in Gherkin pickling liquid (vinegar) is great. I have tried cooking meat in Coke, sounds weird but works really well.

Good luck, we need pic’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My go to reference for all things meat and fire - https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...d-wet-brining/

I have also the book and use it constantly - they really go into the why and how of the different methods and techniques. The article above has most of the answers you are looking for I think.

Quote Originally Posted by I AM LATE! View Post
    My go to reference for all things meat and fire - https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...d-wet-brining/

I have also the book and use it constantly - they really go into the why and how of the different methods and techniques. The article above has most of the answers you are looking for I think.
    Thanks for that link. It agrees with my experience when he writes "Wet brining works best on salmon, chicken breasts, turkey breasts, and pork loin chops." Add to that the experimental penetration data from Prof Blonder:

...and I think I'll continue to use it (3 hours plus ) for pork chops and chicken breasts (both not very thick) to keep them moist, especially if they might have to rest in the oven for a while before being served up.