closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watch comments in the wild?

Was wearing old Pepsi gmt working in a Vodafone in Glasgow , one of the staff commented you must be getting paid too much

Master
    Twice, once in Thailand by our tour bus driver when I was wearing an MT-G S1000 (he was wearing a Mudmaster GWG-1000), was a "nice watch", "yours too" situation. And once in B&M's where a guy on fro t of me at the till asked if my Omega PO was genuine.

I reckon that if someone who is selling you something compliments your watch, it’s most likely just good salesmanship, unless that leads to a conversation where they evidently know a bit about watches (and even in that scenario, it may still be good salesmanship).

My sister-in-law once complimented a max bill I was wearing. I found it strangely awkward.

Twice but both in the same place, Loake store in Bath, then again he is a massive watch freak and on the forum 😀

I've never had a comment from a stranger.
    My parents regularly comment, because they know I collect watches, but that's family so doesn't count.
    I have once had a co-worker state that he never saw me with the same watch on. Turns out he was a bit of a watch fan, the chap was Chinese & extremely materialistic.

Other than that, two friends have commented. One said she really liked my Reverso & asked what it was. I think she may have been thinking of getting her husband one. She didn't ask about cost, but did ask exactly what it was.

The second is a mate who has a few watches, likes them, but isn't really a collector. He's got a Sub which I made a leather strap for as a present and that lead to a commission for a strap for one of his other watches. He knows I have, um, a few watches & usually asks about what I'm wearing.

Most watches I have fly completely under the radar, nobody cares. The only one that people actually notice is a 1960's Rado Diastar chronometer with a highly silver tungsten carbide case, a faceted crystal and a shiny NSA strap. It's very blingy.

Long time ago a random lady in a lift has correctly identified my Panerai 22 Destro

I should've proposed on the spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I recall being on a train journey, many years ago, to Montenegro. I was joined for dinner by a delightful young lady who, at some point, noticed my SMP. She seemed surprised that it wasn't a Rolex but did go on to state 'beautiful'.

People do notice in my experience but few actually say anything. I remember commenting on one guy's Rolex milsub. He was in the fashion business and quite well to do I imagine so it was probably a genuine piece. This was 2008.

My friends know I'm interested in watches and one guy messages me all excited. He sends me a picture of a fake as the day is long Patek and asks me what I think it's worth. His wife stumbled on it in a market in Paris and he was convinced she had bought treasure for a few Euro. It took a lot of convincing to make him believe the watch was fake.

I was in WoS in Brighton to get a Breitling serviced and the manager was telling me about how all the staff were watch geeks and proper enthusiasts. I was wearing a Sinn U1000 and he said 'That's really nice, what is it?' I said it was a Sinn. 'Never heard of them' was his reply. I know they're not a mainstream brand but didn't say much for his enthusiasm. If I was in the business I think I'd at least know brands if not specific models. Just another salesman.
    Other than that. Never.

Car dealership in carlisle last year. Went to sit and do the deal, paperwork etc, and the salesman couldn't take his eyes off my PRS 17q. Never asked anything about it but at every opportunity he "clocked it"
    Obviously trying to work out what it was :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A bump from the depths, I was sitting in my seat in The Shed End at the Chelsea game today when a fellow blue tapped me on the shoulder as he walked past and said “Nice kettle.”
    I had my orange Planet Ocean 2500 on instead of my lucky old beaten up Seamaster which I always wear to games.

Master
    I can remember three comments about watches I've been wearing, in my lifetime. In an office at Rolls-Royce and Associates in 1990, someone asked me "where did you get that?" referring to my 16750 and assuming it to be a fake. He showed me his fake sub, which he said had a Seiko movement.

At a restaurant in Chinatown in 1999, one of the waiters asked if my Breitling Grand Premier was an IWC. Ironically I did have a Mark XII at the time as I still do, and I don't think anyone's ever noticed it.

At a Pret a Manger at Canary Wharf in 2000, one of the girls behind the counter offered to swap £100 worth of croissants for my Pulsar Spoon, which she very much liked. I'd only bought it the previous day.

I still have the 16750 and the Spoon. Alas the Grand Premier went to a new owner quite some time ago.

Chap in McDonald’s drive-thru commented on my old SeaDweller recently. Was impressed he new what it was so quickly, as he was only a youth and we didn’t exactly interact for long.

Friend’s wife said she absolutely loved my G-Shock Rubik’s edition recently.

Mrs likes my old Fortis Lemania 5100 cosmonauts, only one she has ever shown much enthusiasm for.

Colleague commented on my GS recently, knew what it was specifically. Turns out he is a WIS (not a member here, although knew about Smiths/TF etc) and has a lovely Speedie Tokyo edition, and a few other decent interesting pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Barman in Lanzarote commented on my SKX.

He was wearing a Vostok and seemed to be into watches.

Lady in a local shop spotted my Seiko flight master said her husband was a watch guy she thought it was a Breitling of some flavour.....no Just a Seiko

Master
    I’ve had a few comments recently from fellow enthusiasts in the wild, all on the same watch! Admittedly, it’s quite unusual, and pretty gorgeous. Here it is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post recruitment into a new role, I had a lunch with Robert Walters (of finance recruitment) in 2016 and he commented very positively on my Aquaterra, which was quite nice.

About a year later, the head of the PE firm that majority owned the business I'd started working for commented on the same watch.

My CEO was most annoyed and quickly announced 'look at my Breitling'! Made me chuckle.

Shame it got nicked!

Sent from my M2101K7BNY using Tapatalk

OK so i'm a hardcore vintage fanboy, you're lucky if you have a comment on a newer Rolex out in the wild, but no-one would recognize a vintage watch, legendary or not.
    In line with that, the only one time i can recall to have had a comment, was in 2008 at Richmond station, from an elderly gent at the till, on my 1965 Rolex Oysterdate. "Nice watch" - that was it haha :D

Master
    Blog Entries
    Not many actual comments, a barman at the Thekla once said cool watch to my old 6424 and a colleague said me gold Zenith was beautiful and would like one for her husband.

What I have had much more of is wrist stare.

This thread is a good reminder that we all take ourselves far too seriously

The only time this has happened to me was wearing a 45mm Panerai Ferrari chronograph. Nice watch actually but they wear massive. This 20 something guy with gym jacked arms and sparrow legs told me "that's a proper watch"