closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 22 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,100 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahiti View Post
    Thanks for that insight.
    It works out ok if you are on an EV tariff for your electricity such as Octopus Go. I pay 5p/ kWh between 12:30 and 4:30 am each day so even with my E-tron which gets a lowly 2.7 miles per kWh it still only works out at less than 2p/mile in electric. Not so good if you are on a standard tariff at 18-20p/ kWh though.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It works out ok if you are on an EV tariff for your electricity such as Octopus Go. I pay 5p/ kWh between 12:30 and 4:30 am each day so even with my E-tron which gets a lowly 2.7 miles per kWh it still only works out at less than 2p/mile in electric. Not so good if you are on a standard tariff at 18-20p/ kWh though.

i have an e-tron as well,

we love it, but it is the Hummer of the EV world (both in weight and in efficiency)

Craftsman

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Took delivery of Hyundai Ioniq SE on Tuesday. Delighted with it so far.

Business Lease 36 months 8K pa. 3 months upfront then 35 x £232.62 + VAT.

That’s less pm than SWMBO spends on diesel pm.

MG ZS EV Long Range I have on order.

387 miles in slow moving traffic makes it an even better value for money to drive in London.

Delivery nowhere near though :(

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post

387 miles in slow moving traffic makes it an even better value for money to drive in London.

Delivery nowhere near though :(
    I've just watched the review on that car on Fifth Gear Recharge, they were impressed.

Everybody seems to be!

Placed my order mid December. Day before they reduced grant subsidy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post

Please don’t get your hopes up of achieving this range because you just won’t get it. I’ve got an Enyaq with a WLTP range of 256 miles.
    The vast majority of my driving is town driving as it’s a taxi. In the warmer weather I could get about 240 miles on a good day with a m/kWh of about 4.2
    In the cold weather I’m down around 3.2-3.4 m/kWh which equates to around 180-200 miles.
    That’s about 25% down on the claimed figures during winter.
    If you work off those sort of figures (or possibly slightly worse as I’m quite light footed) then you won’t feel disillusioned.

300 miles London range is more than I need a month, so should be good.

I'm in London with a Tesla Model 3 and the Tescos near here have free Podpoint chargers. My local allows 3 hours free parking and with the 22 kwh charger (although the Tesla only takes 11 kwh on it) if I do a 1 hour shop I get around 20% charge for free. I've even parked there, charged and had lunch at nearby restaurants and net result is I don't pay for electricity unless I'm supercharging on a longer trip. I don't have home charging (apartment) but I've not missed it a jot and free 'fuel' is a result.

Download all the apps, (Podpoint, BP Pulse, Ecotricity etc) and see what ones are near you and particularly in London which of the Podpoint ones offer free charging. It's brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm in London with a Tesla Model 3 and the Tescos near here have free Podpoint chargers. My local allows 3 hours free parking and with the 22 kwh charger (although the Tesla only takes 11 kwh on it) if I do a 1 hour shop I get around 20% charge for free. I've even parked there, charged and had lunch at nearby restaurants and net result is I don't pay for electricity unless I'm supercharging on a longer trip. I don't have home charging (apartment) but I've not missed it a jot and free 'fuel' is a result.

Download all the apps, (Podpoint, BP Pulse, Ecotricity etc) and see what ones are near you and particularly in London which of the Podpoint ones offer free charging. It's brilliant!
    Oh absolutely Ryan. Cheers.

Craftsman
    A bit of a bump but i have bought a kia ev and after 2000 miles in the last month or so its been superb . I have charged for free at work and topped up when shopping for an hour or two a week with the odd granny top up at home and its currently cost me circa £18 so far in juice . Servicing is going to be a bit of a rip of to keep the warranty up to date i fear

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Definitely been impressed with my eNiro.
    It takes some getting use to and has renewed my enjoyment in driving
    Love the features included, but would of liked it to have had the HUD option, like its Kia Soul sibling.

Craftsman
    i was wavering over a mustang mach e ( i found one of the billy basic ones ) but ended up plumping for an e niro4 plus and its a superb work tool . Rides a bit choppy at speed on the motor way but other than that loads of kit and range is as per the book
    Piano black trim marks eassily

Craftsman
    Two options I have currently are a ux300e and a volvo xc40 recharge.

Anyone have either?

I want a Tesla m3 but work have capped the trade up on car allowance which means these are the ‘best’ EV options unless somehow the m3 trade up comes up at less than £75 which I feel is unlikely.

I don’t have a daily commute, but if I do drives outside of the local area they are usually in excess of 100 miles. I’ll sometimes do 300+ mile round trips to watch football and if I travel to offices around the country an overnight stay is probable and there are usually free chargers at said offices.

No issues with getting a charger fixed at home but in the back of my mind all I can think is that Tesla is the only way to go due to their supercharger network.

Does anyone do regular long ranges not in a Tesla? Can you put my mind at ease?
    Last edited by Chinese_Alan; 13th February 2022 at 18:54.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinese_Alan View Post

Anyone have either?

I want a Tesla m3 but work have capped the trade up on car allowance which means these are the ‘best’ EV options unless somehow the m3 trade up comes up at less than £75 which I feel is unlikely.

I don’t have a daily commute, but if I do drives outside of the local area they are usually in excess of 100 miles. I’ll sometimes do 300+ mile round trips to watch football and if I travel to offices around the country an overnight stay is probable and there are usually free chargers at said offices.

No issues with getting a charger fixed at home but in the back of my mind all I can think is that Tesla is the only way to go due to their supercharger network.

Public rapid charger provision is getting better all the time, but still patchy in parts of the country.

So, it depends where you’re going to and from etc? Supercharger sites aren’t exactly everywhere, you may still find you need to divert to one and they’re pretty busy these days at times, but you can of course still use all the other chargers too.

My regular long distance routes are well covered now by public chargers, and there are a number of multi-charger ‘hubs’ being built now.

Download ZapMap on your phone, filter the chargers by 50kW+ and see where the sites are along the routes to where you’ll be visiting, paying attention to how many charging units are at each site.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    A bit of a bump but i have bought a kia ev and after 2000 miles in the last month or so its been superb . I have charged for free at work and topped up when shopping for an hour or two a week with the odd granny top up at home and its currently cost me circa £18 so far in juice . Servicing is going to be a bit of a rip of to keep the warranty up to date i fear
    If EV why do you think the annual service charge will be expensive - there are far less moving parts than ICE - no “oil change” costs for example. I have a Kia HEV Nero so still has an ICE - I expect the service charge to be similar to a regular ICE engine. But I am guessing your EV will be quite a bit less? I love the 7 year warranty.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    If EV why do you think the annual service charge will be expensive - there are far less moving parts than ICE - no “oil change” costs for example. I have a Kia HEV Nero so still has an ICE - I expect the service charge to be similar to a regular ICE engine. But I am guessing your EV will be quite a bit less? I love the 7 year warranty.
    No annual service recommended for Teslas. Every 2 years a brake fluid check and filter change is required and that's it. EVs do seem to go through tyres faster than ICE cars though

Anyone have either?

We’ve got the XC40 recharge. Considering the advertised mpg it’s pretty disappointing, ours is currently showing as averaging just under 34.8mpg which was pretty much what we got from the diesel XC90 it replaced. We’ve only just got an electric point put in to charge it and do most our journeys on petrol.
    MPG aside it’s still a good car which is pretty nippy. There’s enough space for my 2 kids in their car seats in the back but it’s a bit of a squeeze to fit anyone in between them.

Craftsman

Anyone have either?

I took delivery of a UX300e last month. I have only used it for short journeys to and from work, about 28 miles round trip. The range is not bad but certainly not as good as a Tesla. It is quoted at 190 miles on the 18" wheels, I have a Takumi, but this time of year with air con, heated seat and steering wheel on most of the time it is down to about 140-150 miles. That is full range to zero so really 120-130 miles. I don't have a charger at home but had one installed at work. I tend to charge twice a week just topping up really. I always make sure it's full for the weekend.
    I am planning a trip of about 230 miles in March and it needs a bit of thought. To be honest it's just a different way of thinking, I am sure it will become second nature.
    The car is really comfortable, very quiet and refined. Very well built. The rear legroom is not massive if you have a family, not a problem as I only have one daughter. If the front seats are in the lowest position there is nowhere for the rear passengers feet!
    I choose the Lexus as it was a cracking lease deal and was in stock. At the time of looking Mini's and Corsas were only just slightly cheaper! For me it was a chance to live with an EV to see if it fits in with the majority of my usage. So far so good.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ajw232 View Post
    We’ve got the XC40 recharge. Considering the advertised mpg it’s pretty disappointing, ours is currently showing as averaging just under 34.8mpg which was pretty much what we got from the diesel XC90 it replaced. We’ve only just got an electric point put in to charge it and do most our journeys on petrol.
    MPG aside it’s still a good car which is pretty nippy. There’s enough space for my 2 kids in their car seats in the back but it’s a bit of a squeeze to fit anyone in between them.
    Oh sorry this is the full EV. The reviews I’ve read talk about the xc40 in a much better light than the ux300e but at 28 I’m not sure whether or not I’m too young for a Volvo? Vein comment, I know.

Thanks for the other replies btw! Lots to think about.

Master
    Oh sorry this is the full EV. The reviews I’ve read talk about the xc40 in a much better light than the ux300e but at 28 I’m not sure whether or not I’m too young for a Volvo? Vein comment, I know.

Have you considered a Skoda Enyaq. It’s better than both those cars you have mentioned. More room, better range, bigger boot and a fantastic interior.
    In fact in a recent YouTube test against its sister cars the ID.4 and the Q4 Etron, the Enyaq came out top.
    Here is another video in a 10 car shootout and the Enyaq came top in that.
    I’m probably a bit biased as I own one. I do about 150 miles a day in mine and it’s a lovely place to munch the miles.

https://youtu.be/bVLBF17AlNI

Craftsman

Volvo is cool now, and the XC40 is a lovely car. The Recharge is meant to be excellent, but I've heard some nasty stories about the UX300e - apparently horrible to drive and poor range. Has been one of few cars available on cheap lease deals over the last year or so, I think there's a reason for that!

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Have you considered a Skoda Enyaq. It’s better than both those cars you have mentioned. More room, better range, bigger boot and a fantastic interior.
    In fact in a recent YouTube test against its sister cars the ID.4 and the Q4 Etron, the Enyaq came out top.
    I’m probably a bit biased as I own one. I do about 150 miles a day in mine and it’s a lovely place to munch the miles.

did not come out too well in some of the range tests i was looking at

ref the service costs on a lot its once a year at circa £100 to do not a lot with a coolant change at £350 on i think year 3 . I was not overly fussed on a tesla so went with a more SUV styled thing . Its proving to be a great car and does what i want

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

That was on a list I was given a few months back but it has now disappeared as we’ve moved over to a better “platform”.

I’ll watch the video - thanks!

Master
    did not come out too well in some of the range tests i was looking at

ref the service costs on a lot its once a year at circa £100 to do not a lot with a coolant change at £350 on i think year 3 . I was not overly fussed on a tesla so went with a more SUV styled thing . Its proving to be a great car and does what i want
    I’ve got the 60 which is the smaller battery and the worst I’ve had so far is 180 miles to a full charge. The best I’ve had is 240. Today I’m on course for 210 miles.
    I’d say they are pretty good figures and if you opt for the Enyaq 80 which is similar money to the Volvo, you get far more range.

Anyone seen this salary sacrifice scheme which can be used to get themselves a EV?

https://octopusev.com/?_gl=1*om2qnl*...Y0NTA0Mzg2OC4w

Anyone use one of these scheme?
    Seems too good to be true.

No deposits and great savings on your wages.

We've been offered a salary sacrifice scheme but even a Hyundai was coming in at over £500/month to rent. It's a no from me ...

Cheers,

Adam.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Anyone seen this salary sacrifice scheme which can be used to get themselves a EV?

https://octopusev.com/?_gl=1*om2qnl*...Y0NTA0Mzg2OC4w

Anyone use one of these scheme?
    Seems too good to be true.

No deposits and great savings on your wages.
    I suspect most EVs currently being bought are on a salary sacrifice scheme of some kind. My E-tron works out at about £500/month net with no deposit and includes insurance, maintenance, breakdown cover etc. Not bad for a car that as specced was £76k. It costs me 5p/kWh to charge at home with Octopus so all in saves a huge amount over running an equivalent petrol car on a private lease.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noidea View Post
    I took delivery of a UX300e last month. I have only used it for short journeys to and from work, about 28 miles round trip. The range is not bad but certainly not as good as a Tesla. It is quoted at 190 miles on the 18" wheels, I have a Takumi, but this time of year with air con, heated seat and steering wheel on most of the time it is down to about 140-150 miles. That is full range to zero so really 120-130 miles. I don't have a charger at home but had one installed at work. I tend to charge twice a week just topping up really. I always make sure it's full for the weekend.
    I am planning a trip of about 230 miles in March and it needs a bit of thought. To be honest it's just a different way of thinking, I am sure it will become second nature.
    The car is really comfortable, very quiet and refined. Very well built. The rear legroom is not massive if you have a family, not a problem as I only have one daughter. If the front seats are in the lowest position there is nowhere for the rear passengers feet!
    I choose the Lexus as it was a cracking lease deal and was in stock. At the time of looking Mini's and Corsas were only just slightly cheaper! For me it was a chance to live with an EV to see if it fits in with the majority of my usage. So far so good.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    I think that's the Key! We changed both our cars from a medium sized diesel hatchback and a large petrol performance estate car to two EVs and haven't regretted it yet. You have to be willing to commit to the different approach and go into it knowing what the limitations are and how conditions impact it. They work for us as we have a drive to charge (although I've been doing a lot of charging at BP Pulse due to an offer I got) and we don't do regular long trips. The main driver was cost saving. I scratched my performance car itch for a few years but <30mpg and >£1.50p petrol plus £500 annual road tax was just heading to being too expensive.

Craftsman
    Servicing on an EV is surprisingly cheap as there isn't actually that much to service other than brakes that get used way less than in an ICE car. Over the 3 years I'll have mine, the total servicing costs are less than £200 if I remember correctly.

Master
    Rather than scrolling through the whole thread, ( yes I'm being lazy ), but has the topic of battery life come up, not how long it lasts on a single charge, but how long before it's reached it's "shelf life".
    I heard somewhere that it's approx 8 years, what happens to the car then, is it scrap, surely it would be too expensive to replace the batteries.
    Would dealers, or even private buyers, be wary of buying a car anywhere near this age due to this.

Craftsman
    Good Fully Charged video:

Robert Llewellyn had the the batteries replaced/upgraded (and the old recycled) in his 11 year old Nissan Leaf for round about the cost of servicing a normal car over an 11 year period. He also gained a large amount of range vs new due to the improvement in technology. He also notes that the modern batteries vs 11 year old batteries have much lower degradation due to improvements in battery technology and how the car manages the battery.

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Rather than scrolling through the whole thread, ( yes I'm being lazy ), but has the topic of battery life come up, not how long it lasts on a single charge, but how long before it's reached it's "shelf life".
    I heard somewhere that it's approx 8 years, what happens to the car then, is it scrap, surely it would be too expensive to replace the batteries.
    Would dealers, or even private buyers, be wary of buying a car anywhere near this age due to this.
    There is a Tesla taxi in Germany that has just tipped over 1.5 million KMS.
    It had a battery replaced under warranty early on (200K ish if memory serves me correct) but the remainder, certainly over a million kms is on the one battery.

Edit: cheapest Tesla Model S on Autotrader is a 2014 and that’s listed at 29.5K.
    Last edited by jaytip; 22nd February 2022 at 21:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Most manufacturers warrant the batteries for 8 years, so to me that means they’ll last a lot longer than that.

Even if the battery has lost some capacity by 10 years, it won’t suddenly become unusable, you’ll just lose some range.

Used batteries a decade away from now will also have a value as they can be recycled and the rare materials in them used in new batteries or even the whole thing can become a house power wall for time shifting electricity use.

Blog Entries
    So have ordered a PHEV and according to their website (Jaguar) you can charge it in about 5 1/2 hours from a domestic 3 pin socket. I already have an outdoor one of these, does anyone know if a standard 3 pin socket will be ok to use? If so I'll probably just use that instead of getting a 7kw one put in.
    Also if we travel on holiday in the UK, what would be the best payment App/method for public chargers if it was needed?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    So have ordered a PHEV and according to their website (Jaguar) you can charge it in about 5 1/2 hours from a domestic 3 pin socket. I already have an outdoor one of these, does anyone know if a standard 3 pin socket will be ok to use? If so I'll probably just use that instead of getting a 7kw one put in.
    Also if we travel on holiday in the UK, what would be the best payment App/method for public chargers if it was needed?
    Any advice appreciated.
    I think the main benefit is speed, if you had a full EV with a 70+ kWh battery it'd take too long to charge regularly off a 3 pin. Dedicated chargers are also a bit tidier and convenient than plugging into a "granny" charger into an outdoor socket. Regarding the charging network, it's quite messy and each different providers usually require different subscriptions. I would start with apps like Plugshare and Zapmap that capture the whole charging network and also register with BP pulse and Shell recharge. It'd also be worth looking in to the capabilities of the PHEV charging as some can't use fast charging.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I think the main benefit is speed, if you had a full EV with a 70+ kWh battery it'd take too long to charge regularly off a 3 pin. Dedicated chargers are also a bit tidier and convenient than plugging into a "granny" charger into an outdoor socket. Regarding the charging network, it's quite messy and each different providers usually require different subscriptions. I would start with apps like Plugshare and Zapmap that capture the whole charging network and also register with BP pulse and Shell recharge. It'd also be worth looking in to the capabilities of the PHEV charging as some can't use fast charging.
    Thanks I think you're right about the only benefit being the speed. It's doubtful I'll need to charge away form home unless we go away somewhere. I'll probably just charge overnight on a 3 pin mostly as and when needed. So the outdoor socket I have will probably get used for that then. They say 5 1/2 hours so will be ok. https://www.jaguar.co.uk/electric-ca...in-hybrid.html
    As for the fast charging Jaguar say 30 minutes for 0-80%. They also recommend using the Zapmap so will have a look at that one.
    Cheers
    Ian

This crazy app nonsense needs to be sorted out - imagine we needed a different app to fill with each brand of petrol/diesel.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    This crazy app nonsense needs to be sorted out - imagine we needed a different app to fill with each brand of petrol/diesel.
    I agree, my local Lidl has some chargers but they don't have any instructions or branding on them. To use them I had to use Zapmap to figure out who owned them (Phoenixworks as it happens), download the app for that company, add card details then active the charge through the app (which wasn't east to figure out which one I wanted to use as the label was tiny) . There is no way that my dad who's also an EV driver would have been able to figure that out.

Blog Entries
    I agree, my local Lidl has some chargers but they don't have any instructions or branding on them. To use them I had to use Zapmap to figure out who owned them (Phoenixworks as it happens), download the app for that company, add card details then active the charge through the app (which wasn't east to figure out which one I wanted to use as the label was tiny) . There is no way that my dad who's also an EV driver would have been able to figure that out.
    Seems odd way to go on. Why not just have contactless payment?

Craftsman
    Seems odd way to go on. Why not just have contactless payment?
    I wonder if in that example it's that Lidl have a carbon reduction target which having charging points for customers contributes toward this and they are the cheapest option?

About thirty years ago I was issued with a company fuel card which was restricted to a single brand commonplace near our head office in England, but whose nearest outlet to me (in the west of Scotland) was almost forty miles from my base & twenty miles outside my work district. Much fun ensued...
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Any advice appreciated.
    Short answer, it's probably tolerable, but a wall charger would be better.

Long answer: it's a combination of speed, efficiency/charging losses and confidence in your wiring.

The 3-pin "granny" chargers generally have two modes: 10A (~2.4kW), which is the most the socket should be subjected to for a sustained period and 6A (~1.4kW) which is advisable if the quality of the wiring is unknown. The granny charger will also have temperature sensors/thermal cut off in it, and shouldn't be used with any other extensions been it and the source socket.

Contrast that to a 32A (~7.6kW) "fast" charge point with a type-2 connector - you'll be able to push power in 3-5 times faster than the granny plug, and the wiring behind it won't be a concern. Depending on your car and charger choices, you might also more options to schedule charging for off-peak tariffs, integrate with any solar panel generation if that's something you have and more.

For a PHEV, the batteries until recently weren't too big (although they are increasing in size in new models), so speed wasn't critical and push comes to shove you've got the engine to get places, although that's obviously not ideal.

The Jaguar P400e - for example - has a 17.1kWh battery which is about half of the pure EV (but obvious more compact) VW e-Up's 36.8 kWh unit. 17.1kWh/2.4kW from a 10A granny == 7.1 hours. I suspect they're quoting 0-80% == 5h42m. On a 32A charge point, you can do 0-80% in a little over 2 hours.

Lower charging power tends to lead to increased charging losses, so you might find that the car's onboard inverter is costing you up to 10% when charging at 1.4kW vs lower losses at approaching 8kW.

As far as access to charge points when you're out and about, Zap Map is great for finding chargers (you can filter by speed and network and it'll also show you if chargers are occupied or busted). The majority of rapid chargers and all new chargers must have contactless payment, so it's less pressing to have a whole soup of apps on your phone.

Instavolt have never let me down and their app doesn't suck, so I tend to have that installed. There are a few Pod Point fast (7.6kW) chargers in my area that I could snaffle a free charge with, so I had that as a necessity.

For longer trips, https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ is useful for planning and finding chargers en-route, and I'll look at payment options and alternatives nearby as a backup (I'm in a full BEV, so no just using the engine for me!)

Do watch when selecting chargers out and about with a PHEV - some networks will only offer DC rapid charging which not all PHEVs can accept (two extra pins for the rapid DC connection over the type 2 connector with a fast charger/home charger). Again, the Jaguar 400e can rapid charge to 32kWh - most chargers can supply 50kWh which is all you need, ranging all the way up to 150kWh or even 350khW on some sites BUT some networks will charge much more to use a more capable charger, even if your vehicle can't actually take all the juice it's offering.

Master
    On the fully charged review of the VW ID.Buzz they said the VW have negotiated a deal with all the charging companies so that you just plug it in and it can talk to each as if it were a single Tesla like charger. Got to be the way forward and once one manufacturer does it the rest will have to follow as it will be a USP otherwise.

See this place in the video

https://youtu.be/-K6PPrt8F_Y?t=560
    Last edited by reecie; 24th February 2022 at 19:37.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    Short answer, it's probably tolerable, but a wall charger would be better.

Long answer: it's a combination of speed, efficiency/charging losses and confidence in your wiring.

The 3-pin "granny" chargers generally have two modes: 10A (~2.4kW), which is the most the socket should be subjected to for a sustained period and 6A (~1.4kW) which is advisable if the quality of the wiring is unknown. The granny charger will also have temperature sensors/thermal cut off in it, and shouldn't be used with any other extensions been it and the source socket.

Contrast that to a 32A (~7.6kW) "fast" charge point with a type-2 connector - you'll be able to push power in 3-5 times faster than the granny plug, and the wiring behind it won't be a concern. Depending on your car and charger choices, you might also more options to schedule charging for off-peak tariffs, integrate with any solar panel generation if that's something you have and more.

For a PHEV, the batteries until recently weren't too big (although they are increasing in size in new models), so speed wasn't critical and push comes to shove you've got the engine to get places, although that's obviously not ideal.

The Jaguar P400e - for example - has a 17.1kWh battery which is about half of the pure EV (but obvious more compact) VW e-Up's 36.8 kWh unit. 17.1kWh/2.4kW from a 10A granny == 7.1 hours. I suspect they're quoting 0-80% == 5h42m. On a 32A charge point, you can do 0-80% in a little over 2 hours.

Lower charging power tends to lead to increased charging losses, so you might find that the car's onboard inverter is costing you up to 10% when charging at 1.4kW vs lower losses at approaching 8kW.

As far as access to charge points when you're out and about, Zap Map is great for finding chargers (you can filter by speed and network and it'll also show you if chargers are occupied or busted). The majority of rapid chargers and all new chargers must have contactless payment, so it's less pressing to have a whole soup of apps on your phone.

Instavolt have never let me down and their app doesn't suck, so I tend to have that installed. There are a few Pod Point fast (7.6kW) chargers in my area that I could snaffle a free charge with, so I had that as a necessity.

For longer trips, https://abetterrouteplanner.com/ is useful for planning and finding chargers en-route, and I'll look at payment options and alternatives nearby as a backup (I'm in a full BEV, so no just using the engine for me!)

Do watch when selecting chargers out and about with a PHEV - some networks will only offer DC rapid charging which not all PHEVs can accept (two extra pins for the rapid DC connection over the type 2 connector with a fast charger/home charger). Again, the Jaguar 400e can rapid charge to 32kWh - most chargers can supply 50kWh which is all you need, ranging all the way up to 150kWh or even 350khW on some sites BUT some networks will charge much more to use a more capable charger, even if your vehicle can't actually take all the juice it's offering.
    Thanks, some stuff to think about there. It is the P400e I have on order.

Craftsman
    Thanks, some stuff to think about there. It is the P400e I have on order.
    It's also worth checking if Jag offer a charging consolidation type account. With my Ioniq 5, I got a free subscription to Charge My Hyundai which is a single card that lets you use various charging providers and just invoices you once per month. I didn't get anything like this with my VW EV though.

Blog Entries
    It's also worth checking if Jag offer a charging consolidation type account. With my Ioniq 5, I got a free subscription to Charge My Hyundai which is a single card that lets you use various charging providers and just invoices you once per month. I didn't get anything like this with my VW EV though.
    Nice one thanks I'll check that out.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    On the fully charged review of the VW ID.Buzz they said the VW have negotiated a deal with all the charging companies so that you just plug it in and it can talk to each as if it were a single Tesla like charger. Got to be the way forward and once one manufacturer does it the rest will have to follow as it will be a USP otherwise.

See this place in the video

https://youtu.be/-K6PPrt8F_Y?t=560
    That's Plug&Charge, which is something that requires hardware on both charger and vehicle side, plus the necessary software, comms and payment backends. I'd certainly expect that will be an option on all chargers and vehicles in future; I think some US-based charging networks (including Electrify America, which has money from VW via Dieselgate settlements, of all places) are already implementing it. Not sure over this side of the Pond regarding chargers, but I'm pretty sure VW and Mercedes' EQ-series will support it.

https://www.virta.global/blog/iso15118-plug-and-charge

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by threescoops View Post
    That's Plug&Charge, which is something that requires hardware on both charger and vehicle side, plus the necessary software, comms and payment backends. I'd certainly expect that will be an option on all chargers and vehicles in future; I think some US-based charging networks (including Electrify America, which has money from VW via Dieselgate settlements, of all places) are already implementing it. Not sure over this side of the Pond regarding chargers, but I'm pretty sure VW and Mercedes' EQ-series will support it.

https://www.virta.global/blog/iso15118-plug-and-charge
    That would definitely be a step in the right direction, particularly for those who don't have their own charging facility.

Also the Buzz looks great! I'm going to see if I can persuade the wife to swap her ID.3 for one.

Master
    That would definitely be a step in the right direction, particularly for those who don't have their own charging facility.

Also the Buzz looks great! I'm going to see if I can persuade the wife to swap her ID.3 for one.
    If you’ve got an ID.3, you can setup a WeCharge account, which should get you some Ionity discounted options as well as being able to use it on various other networks and they aggregate the bill.