closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 99 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It opens automatically I believe when a supercharger nozzle is within a foot or so
    Interesting, I’d seen that you can get an addition for your home charger that opens the charge port door automatically without the card/phone, but still wondered if it would plug in as the locking pins might be engaged to stop insertion.

Haven’t used SuCs in our Tesla really, but then we wouldn’t use them as parking spaces either!

The overstay fees at Tesla charge sites need to be implemented at other networks too, there was an iPace on some Shell chargers I used yesterday that was at 100% and was there for the duration of my stay. Ok, there were four chargers to use, but as the number of EVs grows this kind of selfish behaviour will grate.

Blog Entries
    The Tesla charger in my garage has the button so just a press, flap open, plug is and off it goes. The SC’s do just the same.

Free chargers in the city today have had the same cars parked on them for the fours hours we were out and as I think I mentioned above, time limits are a must going forward.

Pitch

Master
    Another one here with a unicorn spec Model 3, coming 24th November (at the National Space Centre of all places). Had an ID3 previously but it was so problematic that it ended up going back to VW. Cannot wait to get back into an EV!

I had a gap of around a month to fill between the ID3 going, and the M3 arriving, so I'm currently driving around in the cheapest hire car I could get - a Fiat 500!!! :D I did try and get a car from On.To but sadly they had none.

Looks like the Model 3s from China are coming without USBs and wireless charging due to chip shortages. They expect to retrofit them next year.

Looks like BMWs are coming without touchscreens and no retrofit!

Master
    Looks like the Model 3s from China are coming without USBs and wireless charging due to chip shortages. They expect to retrofit them next year.

Thought it was just the Fremont build M3s that had been delivered without USB? MIC too? :(

Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    Thought it was just the Fremont build M3s that had been delivered without USB? MIC too? :(
    Seems like it. Will soon find out.

lol

Master
    Seems like it. Will soon find out.
    MIC coming with them

Post in thread 'UK 2021 Model 3 Q4 Collection and Delivery Experiences' https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6118916/

Mercs coming without connectivity too.

Tesla will have to offer some sweeteners if I turn up next month and the car isn't as advertised.

Although, with Tesla it's bloody hard to work out what you have bought.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post

Tesla will have to offer some sweeteners if I turn up next month and the car isn't as advertised.

What spec did you go for? The SR+s being delivered now are totally not what was advertised a month or so back.

My understanding is that they offer a retrofit next year and that's it - else you have to wait until next year to pick up the car if you insist on USBs. But the poster above indicates that it appears to be a US manufactured car issue so let's see.

I’m pretty sure they’ll offer you two options,

Take it

Or

Leave it!

Master
    Surely these discussions should be had before pick up?

So that that take it or leave it decision can be made at least?

I've just ordered my first new car ever and have gone electric!

Aside from being pleased-as-punch, the kicker is that lead times appear to be 6 months!! I've ordered a Volkswagen ID3.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post

Aside from being pleased-as-punch, the kicker is that lead times appear to be 6 months!! I've ordered a Volkswagen ID3.
    Hope you have more luck with your ID3 than I did. Ended up rejecting mine. Over half a dozen things failed on it (several at the same time) and the final straw was when I had to get the AA to recovery it.

Master
    Just to balance that, my ID.3 is an early first edition that are supposed to be the worst of the bunch.

I had a few software wobbles early on, nothing that made the car unusable or broken down though, and since software v2.1 it has been 100% reliable.

It recently received software v2.3 over the air, and seems a lot more responsive on the main screen and has introduced a few new features.

Any factory order now will be coming with the latest software and maybe even v3.0 which is a step forward again, so I think it’ll be ok.

Not denying that some cars didn’t have issues, but our Tesla hasn’t exactly been 100% in the software area either, and they’re supposed to be exceptional.

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

This is good to hear. I definitely feel like I had a Friday car! It was a first edition too. I had both front indicators fail, collision sensor fail, headlights fail, pedestrian acoustic system fail, alarm going off randomly day+night, dashboard rebooting while driving, and charge flap refusing to open. I think there were more but you get the idea oh and 12v battery issues when I picked it up, which I suspect may have been the root of a lot of its problems.

I do hope VW have got the measure of them now though because when it was working, it was fantastic!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post

Congratulations - they are great cars from what I've seen. My Dad has had one (absolute last person I'd expect to go electric) and has already put upwards of 15k miles on it in 3 months!!! No problems at all other than early teething issues with range (he drove it like his diesel BMW, hammered it everywhere - then wondered why his range figure plummeted throughout a journey!).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ctafield View Post
    This is good to hear. I definitely feel like I had a Friday car! It was a first edition too. I had both front indicators fail, collision sensor fail, headlights fail, pedestrian acoustic system fail, alarm going off randomly day+night, dashboard rebooting while driving, and charge flap refusing to open. I think there were more but you get the idea oh and 12v battery issues when I picked it up, which I suspect may have been the root of a lot of its problems.

I do hope VW have got the measure of them now though because when it was working, it was fantastic!
    Yes, yours did sound like a lemon unfortunately!

A lot of them sat around in storage during Covid delays, I don’t think the 12v batteries liked that much.

Interestingly, earlier cars are going to be invited back in for a 12v ‘smart’ battery upgrade, which hopefully will sort any residual issues once and for all.

Master
    South Koreans seem to have things sorted out, our Kona Electric has been bullet proof so far, range figures spot on and really fun to drive

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gullers View Post
    I’d be interested in your real world range experience?

I’ve ordered an I4 but we are considering one of these for my better half….
    So far it is coming in a bit lower than expected but I think this was due to not using regen and enjoying the 0-60 pick up too much (ahem !). As it is the 50 it is not slow ;)

Will give specifics on numbers once we have a bit more experience with it. Overall though my wife is VERY happy so all good there !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Just to balance that, my ID.3 is an early first edition that are supposed to be the worst of the bunch.

I had a few software wobbles early on, nothing that made the car unusable or broken down though, and since software v2.1 it has been 100% reliable.

It recently received software v2.3 over the air, and seems a lot more responsive on the main screen and has introduced a few new features.

Any factory order now will be coming with the latest software and maybe even v3.0 which is a step forward again, so I think it’ll be ok.

Not denying that some cars didn’t have issues, but our Tesla hasn’t exactly been 100% in the software area either, and they’re supposed to be exceptional.
    I seem to recall reading the Chinese Govt. not so long ago felt obliged to step in and give Elon a bit of a bollocking over QC issues, maybe software gremlins, as quite a few citizens were having problems with their exceptional Teslas.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th November 2021 at 08:24.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I seem to recall reading the Chinese Govt. not so long ago felt obliged to step in and give Elon a bit of a bollocking over QC issues, maybe software gremlins, as quite a few citizens were having problems with their exceptional Teslas.
    I think the Chinese were more bothered about Tesla’s being driven into military establishments and other sensitive sites, what with their multiple cameras and connections back to the Tesla mothership!

Our Tesla was built in China, it seems to suffer none of the build quality issues I used to read about with US/Netherlands assembled ones such as panel gaps and poor paint.

The ‘software’ in a lot of cars, never mind EVs, has got more and more complex, I suppose it’s inevitable that there will be QC issues from time to time.

I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with the in car cameras on the Tesla Model 3. There is 1 camera in the roof that keeps an eye on the passenger to ensure they are paying attention for when full self driving is activated. I imagine the privacy nuts will be having a field day!

I know a lot of people are uncomfortable with the in car cameras on the Tesla Model 3. There is 1 camera in the roof that keeps an eye on the passenger to ensure they are paying attention for when full self driving is activated. I imagine the privacy nuts will be having a field day!
    You're kidding surely...

You're kidding surely...
    Nope. People are getting paranoid about it whereas it is a safety device that means you don't need to keep your hands on the wheel as long as the camera can see you are focusing on the road ahead

Nope. People are getting paranoid about it whereas it is a safety device that means you don't need to keep your hands on the wheel as long as the camera can see you are focusing on the road ahead
    No I meant kidding about them sticking a camera in the ceiling in the first place, I'm a believer in KISS, more tech and bells and whistles, potentially more to go wrong.

Though having to monitor owner/ driver behaviour to ensure they can be sensible and trusted/ responsible with the vehicle is also pretty troubling.

Never heard of that but I'll be putting a cover on that first thing.

Master
    The new BMW EVs have interior cameras too. You can look at who's in your car via an app, for some reason.

I find it interesting that a lot of the "privacy nuts" have facebook accounts. That's way worse than a camera in your car IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Never heard of that but I'll be putting a cover on that first thing.
    I believe in an update for 2022 if you cover it then it will disable autopilot entirely.

Some info on the camera;

https://techcrunch.com/2021/05/27/te...ACqxbXtbejBVTb

I believe in an update for 2022 if you cover it then it will disable autopilot entirely.

Some info on the camera;

Interesting

"Notably, Tesla has a closed loop system for the data, meaning imagery captured by the camera does not leave the car. The system cannot save or transit information unless data sharing is enabled, according to Tesla."

I don't have the paid for autopilot but will have a look into the camera properly in the next few weeks.

Some info on the camera;

Excuse my ignorance but is the auto pilot thingy an option with Tesla’s, can you buy the car without that if you choose…ah Wileys post provides answer.

Excuse my ignorance but is the auto pilot thingy an option with Tesla’s, can you buy the car without that if you choose…ah Wileys post provides answer.
    There are three versions of autoplot. All cars come with a degree of it.

-Basic (included, basically radar cruise control with a misleading name)
    -Enhanced (halfway between basic and full but essentially basic autopilot)
    -Full Autopilot

Not sure if my poverty spec will need the camera but no doubt Tesla will demand it just to use cruise control.

There are three versions of autoplot. All cars come with a degree of it.

-Basic (included, basically radar cruise control with a misleading name)
    -Enhanced (halfway between basic and full but essentially basic autopilot)
    -Full Autopilot

Not sure if my poverty spec will need the camera but no doubt Tesla will demand it just to use cruise control.
    Thanks…don’t reckon I’d like paying to be dictated to like that.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Thanks…don’t reckon I’d like paying to be dictated to like that.
    Not a fan of Elon or those terms but the price of used cars is mental meaning new can be sensible. We're getting £4k more than we paid (used, private sale) almost three years ago and £7k more than WBAC quoted last November when it was a year younger with less miles.

Other car companies seem to have broadly kept the same OTR pricing but the discounts are long gone meaning the price increase is realistically 15% on most models. Tesla have none done the usual car dealer discounts meaning theirs is one of the only places which has remained the same (£1k price rise recently but I ordered before this). It's almost like selling a second hand Rolex for a great price and then buying a new one for RRP.

Doubt we'll keep it long term but a decent stopgap with a 2016 diesel in London. What I really want is a nice estate.

Blog Entries
    The latest update with this camera is really really good and I find it a very useful additional safety tool whilst driving in both TACC, AP and with no assistive driving engaged. It alerts in good time.

Pitch

I see prices have increased this am again on the standard range and also the Long Range.

Master
    The police around my way seem to think they are feasible now. Just saw a model 3 patrol car.

Craftsman
    Has anyone on here got a kia e niro as that may be what i will be looking at for a hack for the family next ?

Not a fan of Elon or those terms but the price of used cars is mental meaning new can be sensible. We're getting £4k more than we paid (used, private sale) almost three years ago and £7k more than WBAC quoted last November when it was a year younger with less miles.

Other car companies seem to have broadly kept the same OTR pricing but the discounts are long gone meaning the price increase is realistically 15% on most models. Tesla have none done the usual car dealer discounts meaning theirs is one of the only places which has remained the same (£1k price rise recently but I ordered before this). It's almost like selling a second hand Rolex for a great price and then buying a new one for RRP.

Doubt we'll keep it long term but a decent stopgap with a 2016 diesel in London. What I really want is a nice estate.
    Ah yes sometimes you can sell a 2nd/3rd hand for more than you paid, happened to us once in the US with a Honda Civic of all things, it 'made' us nearly a grand after a year or so's driving. Uhm don't you have to run the EV's for quite a while to start seeing the carbon savings when weighed against the heavier carbon costs, use of rare minerals/metals wotsits, used making the thing in the first place, only wondering as you refer to it as stop gap... from the sounds of it you're a bit hamstrung/penalised by the changing emissions situation in that London...doesn't anyone make an EV estate yet then

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    The latest update with this camera is really really good and I find it a very useful additional safety tool whilst driving in both TACC, AP and with no assistive driving engaged. It alerts in good time.

Pitch
    How do you find EAP ? Specifically the lane changes & the does it change speed limit up/down on cruise ?

I am considering upgrading my S to EAP - occasionally when on basic AP it will adjust the speed limit as enter/leave a limit but 9 times out of 10 it does not. It reads them OK and adjusts the display but doesn't reduce or increase the cruise speed.

Also is the parking any good ?

I have seen a few (UK) reviews on YouTube but be interested in what you thought.

The camera will definitley be good as I have to keep nudging the wheel on cue to confirm I am still there !

Ah yes sometimes you can sell a 2nd/3rd hand for more than you paid, happened to us once in the US with a Honda Civic of all things, it 'made' us nearly a grand after a year or so's driving. Uhm don't you have to run the EV's for quite a while to start seeing the carbon savings when weighed against the heavier carbon costs, use of rare minerals/metals wotsits, used making the thing in the first place, only wondering as you refer to it as stop gap... from the sounds of it you're a bit hamstrung/penalised by the changing emissions situation in that London...doesn't anyone make an EV estate yet then
    Our car is a Euro 6 Diesel so it's ok for now but the gov/mayor will move the goal posts shortly no doubt. A lot of people don't know what Euro 5/6 means so will just stay away from diesel completely so want to ditch it while we still can for a good price.

Not fussed about carbon savings but we're thinking about kids and I can't see a pram and Model 3 going hand it hand. We'll want an estate or something like an X3 but I refuse to pay £28k for the same 3 series estates I saw this time last year for £23k.

There is a Taycan estate which is beautiful but also over £100k!

Our car is a Euro 6 Diesel so it's ok for now but the gov/mayor will move the goal posts shortly no doubt. A lot of people don't know what Euro 5/6 means so will just stay away from diesel completely so want to ditch it while we still can for a good price.

Not fussed about carbon savings but we're thinking about kids and I can't see a pram and Model 3 going hand it hand. We'll want an estate or something like an X3 but I refuse to pay £28k for the same 3 series estates I saw this time last year for £23k.

You gotta do what you gotta do, best of luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    How do you find EAP ? Specifically the lane changes & the does it change speed limit up/down on cruise ?

I am considering upgrading my S to EAP - occasionally when on basic AP it will adjust the speed limit as enter/leave a limit but 9 times out of 10 it does not. It reads them OK and adjusts the display but doesn't reduce or increase the cruise speed.

Also is the parking any good ?

I have seen a few (UK) reviews on YouTube but be interested in what you thought.

The camera will definitley be good as I have to keep nudging the wheel on cue to confirm I am still there !
    I only have TACC & AP buddy

Pitch

Master

My Enyaq was 33K. It’s got a 585L boot so plenty of room for pushchairs, shopping etc.

Master

A pram?! You have ‘infant travel systems’ these days my friend, and they will all fit in a Tesla. We went from the cot to the pebble which fitted a car base and 3 wheel trike thing. We did have a pram, but never used it.

I wonder how my Dad managed with a Austin 1300 and two kids back in the day?

You’re right about the Taycan ‘estate’ though, fantastic looking thing.

Took a look at this Taycan out of curiosity, I dunno that I'd say it's 'fantastic' looking... the front and back ends don't look terribly well matched up to me... But then I don't really think the Panamera looks all that nice either, and the Cayenne just looks like any other boxy SUV imho as well, hey ho, different strokes etc.

Yup and agree with Tooks, these days the baby travel 'systems'! are impressive in collapsibility if that's a word, functionality.
    Last edited by Passenger; 16th November 2021 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    My Enyaq was 33K. It’s got a 585L boot so plenty of room for pushchairs, shopping etc.
    Nice looking car. My mother in law has the Karoq and it drives really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    A pram?! You have ‘infant travel systems’ these days my friend, and they will all fit in a Tesla. We went from the cot to the pebble which fitted a car base and 3 wheel trike thing. We did have a pram, but never used it.

I wonder how my Dad managed with a Austin 1300 and two kids back in the day?

You’re right about the Taycan ‘estate’ though, fantastic looking thing.
    Ha, I’m not in the loop re travel systems. My mum managed on the bus!

Master
    Took a look at this Taycan out of curiosity, I dunno that I'd say it's 'fantastic' looking... the front and back ends don't look terribly well matched up to me... But then I don't really think the Panamera looks all that nice either, and the Cayenne just looks like any other boxy SUV imho as well, hey ho, different strokes etc.

Yup and agree with Tooks, these days the baby travel 'systems'! are impressive in collapsibility if that's a word, functionality.
    Yeah, it’s a fair challenge, ‘fantastic’ was probably the wrong word! Striking is probably a better word, or even challenging?

It’s one of those cars that definitely looks better in the flesh and is colour dependent, the one I looked at (and I was tyre kicking, just to be clear!) was dark grey and I loved it.

I’d probably take a regular Taycan over one, but realistically neither are going to happen!