closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 93 of 99 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,650 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    I only have one Pal who owns an EV and he’s really smug about how cheap it is to run … well yeah he plugs it in at work and charges it up at his employers expense and no they don’t know !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Farting through silk that chap.

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger View Post
    I only have one Pal who owns an EV and he’s really smug about how cheap it is to run … well yeah he plugs it in at work and charges it up at his employers expense and no they don’t know !

So it's not actually costing less to run, it's costing him less to run because he is cheating his employer

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    So it's not actually costing less to run, it's costing him less to run because he is cheating his employer
    Not quite, it would cost him less to run whether he was cheating his employer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not quite, it would cost him less to run whether he was cheating his employer or not.
    Maybe our Ipace does about 500 miles a month and cost £45 charging on Octopus Go

Maybe our Ipace does about 500 miles a month and cost £45 charging on Octopus Go
    Cost wise that equates to around 75mpg and the ipace is one of the less efficient EVs.

I think it’s more the fact that he’s keeping the car topped up but yeah it’s not right however some folks seem able to convince themselves that if something is trivial it’s okay like helping yourself to items out of the stationery cupboard, putting your own post through the franking machine to making personal calls in work … I appreciate I’m outing my age here !

Craftsman
    How is it costing you £45 for 500 miles?

Even at a conservative 170 miles for full charge on IPace you are looking at 3 full charges at again a conservative 100kWh/charge to allow for losses

300kWh at 9p/kWh (the Go rate in my area) = £27

Or are you charging outside of the off peak Go tarriff times?

Sounds like an awful lot. 500 miles costs me about 12 quid on Intelligent Octopus Go.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

Even at a conservative 170 miles for full charge on IPace you are looking at 3 full charges at again a conservative 100kWh/charge to allow for losses

Intelligent Octopus go is 7.5p per Kw. I could fully charge my car for under £7 and get 300 plus miles in the summer. I could do that mileage for well under £45

Craftsman
    Yeah agreed - I went extreme on the prices and energy needed to calculate a worst case

Quote Originally Posted by mk2driver View Post

Never really monitored it, she plugs it in every night on Octopus Go, she does about 100miles per week, our off peak usage is about £45 per month, we don't fun anything else at night

Craftsman
    Could be worth having a look as something isn’t right there

3 months into Cupra born EV ownership - and for our approx 250 miles per week of commuting and general travel I can say it’s working out considerably cheaper to run than our previous diesel VW Tiguan. I’ve still not charged it anywhere else but on our drive, which feels as natural as plugging in a mobile phone now.
    It’s quieter and smoother to drive than an ICE car, very swift from 0-30 at junctions etc which feels safer in our rural area and it’s not chugging out fumes. It’s also warm and ready to go (no waiting for the engine to warm up and transfer that heat to the cabin) the minute I step into it. That’s good enough for me.

Craftsman
    Never really monitored it, she plugs it in every night on Octopus Go, she does about 100miles per week, our off peak usage is about £45 per month, we don't fun anything else at night
    Not a chance is it costing £45 for 500 miles if truly charging off-peak. Might be worth making sure a schedule is set on your charger or switch to Octopus Intelligence.

Our iPace costs about £6.75 for 0-100% @ 7.5p per kWh. That would be about £8.10 on the 9p Go rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked properly now, in February she was out and about a bit, did 650 miles, we have two Fridge freezers and the dishwasher goes on two or three times a week, the off peak was £42

My EV Charger reports the KwH delivered so I can work out my cost from that.

Most apps should tell you.

Master
    The wifes also dismissed EVs but her replacment ICE has been delayed again and she is looking at options that might be available quicker, as her current car has had a few issues and she wants rid.
    EVs being auto is an issue but not an insurmountablke one, I can get her around that with hiring an auto for the weekend.
    But range anxiety is a big hurdle, when a manufacture claims x miles on a full charge what is a realistic expectation, in an ideal world I think it would need to be at least 250 acheivable miles to get the seal of approval, based on not having a drive and not always being able to park the car outside the house, so three days commute would be acceptable hence 250 miles needed on the range.

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    But range anxiety is a big hurdle, when a manufacture claims x miles on a full charge what is a realistic expectation, in an ideal world I think it would need to be at least 250 acheivable miles to get the seal of approval, based on not having a drive and not always being able to park the car outside the house, so three days commute would be acceptable hence 250 miles needed on the range.
    We are not ready to change our car yet, but my wife is also pretty much dead set against EV's when we do.
    Firstly she says they are too expensive, well any new car is, the little Suzuki hybrid she drives is now over £20k new, we paid £15k three years ago.
    Secondly range anxiety. We have a driveway and don't commute so I can't see an issue for us there.
    But if like your wife, I had no driveway, no guarantee of domestic parking space, and three days commuting equals 250 miles (I assume she can't charge at work?), then I would definitely have range anxiety too. Very much so.

Having done a lot of research now, I can see the benefits of EV are very dependent on individual circumstances. No driveway pretty much rules them out as cost effective versus petrol as you need to be able to 7kw charge them at home overnight to benefit from cheap electricity. I've been looking at vehicles with quoted ranges of 285 miles. I'm planning on that being closer to 200 miles. My regular commute is a 110 mile round trip, so EVs look viable for my use-case.

Still not sure whether to go PHEV or BEV when the time comes but I do like the EQC and they’re now sub £25k on 40 odd thousand miles on a 2020 plate…

Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    based on not having a drive and not always being able to park the car outside the house, so three days commute would be acceptable hence 250 miles needed on the range.
    I honestly wouldn’t get one if you need to do 250 miles per week and don’t have a drive.

If she has free or stupidly discounted charging at work maybe but even then probably not.

We have two EVs and looking back I can’t believe I bought one before we did the drive. I cannot explain the level of inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Having done a lot of research now, I can see the benefits of EV are very dependent on individual circumstances. No driveway pretty much rules them out as cost effective versus petrol as you need to be able to 7kw charge them at home overnight to benefit from cheap electricity. I've been looking at vehicles with quoted ranges of 285 miles. I'm planning on that being closer to 200 miles. My regular commute is a 110 mile round trip, so EVs look viable for my use-case.
    I totally agree. 3 months into ownership and I’ve only ever used the charger on my drive, and in the colder weather recently - charging to 80% for regular trips as recommended - the 58kw battery shows a range of approx 160 miles (approx, it differs during the drive but that’s a decent approximation). The handbook suggests only charging to 100% if you really need to - which I haven’t yet. My commute is 15 miles each way but I sometimes head out to other sites during the day so it’s nice to start the day with 160 miles in the battery, although I often charge it every couple of days.
    If I didn’t have a charger and an EV tariff through someone like Octopus I wouldn’t bother.
    As an aside my wife was also very any EV and prefers a manual gearbox - but I just ordered the EV and she had to get in with it - she now finds it easy to jump out of a manual petrol car and into the EV and vice versa. They really are very easy to drive.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I honestly wouldn’t get one if you need to do 250 miles per week and don’t have a drive.

If she has free or stupidly discounted charging at work maybe but even then probably not.

We have two EVs and looking back I can’t believe I bought one before we did the drive. I cannot explain the level of inconvenience.
    agreed on this, home charging is one of the joys, not having it can be a massive pain in the behind and takes away a lot of the advantages.

Looks like JLR have just shit on all Intelligent Octopus customers

Looks like JLR have just shit on all Intelligent Octopus customers
    Nothing new there mate, they've been crapping on their customers from a great height for years

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Nothing new there mate, they've been crapping on their customers from a great height for years
    They've decided they don't trust third party API's so won't talk to them, in other countries the mob would burn their factories down

They've decided they don't trust third party API's so won't talk to them, in other countries the mob would burn their factories down
    Does that mean that there wont be any automatic scheduling of the charge when they plug in?

Does that mean that there wont be any automatic scheduling of the charge when they plug in?
    Surely you can just programme it on the car charger timer.

I still don’t really understand how all this works tbh. I know that Octopus talks directly to my Ohme Home Pro charger, and I told the charger what tariff I was on and it adjusted automatically. I’ve set a couple of schedules on the charger directly (one for weekdays, one for the weekend) and never touched the car in regard to charge settings. The display on the charger invariably says ‘you won’t reach your target %ge in time’ as it seems to assume the battery is totally flat - and invariably I walk out to a car that’s 80% charged at the time I requested. I could spend hours figuring it out, but it seems to work perfectly and my hair is already grey without faffing about with a myriad of settings buried somewhere in an app!

That’s a piss poor excuse, either indicative of a lack of confidence in their own implementation or a lack or a lack of ability to vet/test.

Can’t hack a system if it’s turned off.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    https://www.leaseloco.com/car-leasin...a82d62f/config

That’s a cracking deal for large electric car.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

I know it’s the way the Lease Loco pricing model works but surely no one is getting one and doing 5k miles.

Anyway, as you were.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I still don’t really understand how all this works tbh. I know that Octopus talks directly to my Ohme Home Pro charger, and I told the charger what tariff I was on and it adjusted automatically. I’ve set a couple of schedules on the charger directly (one for weekdays, one for the weekend) and never touched the car in regard to charge settings. The display on the charger invariably says ‘you won’t reach your target %ge in time’ as it seems to assume the battery is totally flat - and invariably I walk out to a car that’s 80% charged at the time I requested. I could spend hours figuring it out, but it seems to work perfectly and my hair is already grey without faffing about with a myriad of settings buried somewhere in an app!
    I think the biggest issue(other than costs) is that owners can't schedule or charge for periods longer than the fixed Octopus Go period which equals about 80 miles, so if you need more than that it doesn't work

I think the biggest issue(other than costs) is that owners can't schedule or charge for periods longer than the fixed Octopus Go period which equals about 80 miles, so if you need more than that it doesn't work
    You can. I sometimes have to charge mine at full rate.

Yes you can over-ride the cheap rate if you have to. It’s a 6 hour window anyway which adds more than 80 miles - on a 7kw/h charger won’t it add 42Kw over 6 hours (slightly more as mine reads 7.7kw charge) - which for my 58kw battery certainly adds more than 80 miles at cheap rate?

A 6 hour overnight charge gets me about 145 miles @ 3.5 miles/kWh. In summer it's closer to 4 miles/kWh.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post

Unless you are Mr YPLAC from Surrey, or should that be charge like one?

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Yes you can over-ride the cheap rate if you have to. It’s a 6 hour window anyway which adds more than 80 miles - on a 7kw/h charger won’t it add 42Kw over 6 hours (slightly more as mine reads 7.7kw charge) - which for my 58kw battery certainly adds more than 80 miles at cheap rate?
    This is about ipace's

This is about ipace's
    Oops!

You can disassociate the charging unit from the Octopus Energy or Ohme App and it becomes a dumb charger that will charge any EV at any time. Then use the inbuilt charger on the I-PACE to schedule a charge for whenever you want. This is what has to be done in areas where an Ohme charger can't receive a data signal to control it remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    You can disassociate the charging unit from the Octopus Energy or Ohme App and it becomes a dumb charger that will charge any EV at any time. Then use the inbuilt charger on the I-PACE to schedule a charge for whenever you want. This is what has to be done in areas where an Ohme charger can't receive a data signal to control it remotely.
    For many Ipace owners it's the last straw,

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post

That's incredibly slow for an EV though. 0-60 in 10 seconds! Agree it's a cheap deal if you're after a family car and not worried about any enjoyment factor.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That's incredibly slow for an EV though. 0-60 in 10 seconds! Agree it's a cheap deal if you're after a family car and not worried about any enjoyment factor.
    Most people are, it’s a Citroen after all!

* that’s not a criticism of Citroen, it’s a reflection of where they choose to position themselves in the market.

Top speed poor too.

This^ should still be able to use one or a combination of the three options to control the charging; supplier, charger and car.

Master
    That Citroen seems to be the trifecta of slow, deeply inefficient and as bland as a beige wall

Master
    It’s what I do with my Leaf - the Nissan onboard app is appalling so I just set the timer and let it click on at midnight

Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    It’s what I do with my Leaf - the Nissan onboard app is appalling so I just set the timer and let it click on at midnight
    The timer in my E-nv200 is basic but works ok; I set the timer for fully charged at 7.45am and it works it out from there. I have economy seven and no smart mater or smart charger, only the timer on the van.

I may not get the absolute cheapest electricity but as I’m only putting in 10-15 kwhr per night, it’s costing me peanuts.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    This^ should still be able to use one or a combination of the three options to control the charging; supplier, charger and car.
    The issue is with Octopus Go you only get the low rate for four hours 12:30-4:30 am, that is about 80 miles, if you need more than that you will be paying the higher rate