closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 33 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,650 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Average 3.9 m/kWh, 11k miles on primarily country roads in our Leaf e+

Cheap as chips

Master
    Colleague of mine just took delivery of his ID.3 today after waiting well over 12 months for it.
    He ordered black and a grey one turned up. I’d be livid. It was a case of accept it (with a few freebies thrown in) or order a new one and wait another year or so. So he’s accepted it.
    Dealers have buyers of new cars over a barrel at the moment due to delivery times being so long.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Colleague of mine just took delivery of his ID.3 today after waiting well over 12 months for it.
    He ordered black and a grey one turned up. I’d be livid. It was a case of accept it (with a few freebies thrown in) or order a new one and wait another year or so. So he’s accepted it.
    Dealers have buyers of new cars over a barrel at the moment due to delivery times being so long.

Someone told me the other day their friend ordered a G Wagon from Mercedes and when it arrived they were offered £25k to sell it to the dealer and still get the next one in.

Some rich customer wanting to jump the queue, probably paying 50k or more over list if the dealer paid £25k. Mad world.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Someone told me the other day their friend ordered a G Wagon from Mercedes and when it arrived they were offered £25k to sell it to the dealer and still get the next one in.

Some rich customer wanting to jump the queue, probably paying 50k or more over list if the dealer paid £25k. Mad world.
    Totally believable, it’s currently the car of choice for most PL footballers.

Here’s one

https://shop.mercedes-benz.co.uk/use...2762X438713/32

And the price for a new one.

Craftsman
    Does that require a smart meter?

What is your non EV per kWh rate please?
    Smart meter just fitted. Not got round to signing up new tariff yet, but it’s on the to do list. I think our rate is 34ppKWh.

Took a look at the MG4 the other day having read some excellent reviews. Tbh I wouldn’t normally touch a Chinese made MG but it really looked fabulous for the money and the interior was spacious and very modern for such a relatively small car. Couldn’t drive it (having a proper test drive at the weekend) as I’d forgotten my driving licence - but got taken for a spin with the salesman at the wheel and it rode very well on a mix of A road and country roads. Mid range acceleration also seemed very brisk. And he reckoned a 16 week delivery period at the most!
    I’ve haven’t owned anything but German or Swedish cars for about 20 years, and there were a few hard plastics evident - but nothing worse than the last couple of VW’s I’ve owned! I’m seriously tempted tbh, dependent on how the test drive goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stefaulkner View Post
    What sort of electric consumption are others getting?
    Average 5.1 miles/kWh out of our Kona over the last 15 months,

Currently looking at the Nissan Ariya as a replacement

Craftsman
    What sort of electric consumption are others getting?
    2nd Gen Hyundai Ioniq electric. 7.5k miles over last 11 months. 4.5mpKWh. Mix of fast b roads and motorways mostly in normal mode with about 15% spirited pressing on in Sport mode.

Mrs Fifer has an MGES mostly 40m round trip commute showing about 3.8mpKWh, but it’s a bit of a brick and not nearly as slippery as the Ioniq.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by genesos View Post
    Average 5.1 miles/kWh out of our Kona over the last 15 months,

Currently looking at the Nissan Ariya as a replacement
    Quote Originally Posted by Fifer View Post
    2nd Gen Hyundai Ioniq electric. 7.5k miles over last 11 months. 4.5mpKWh. Mix of fast b roads and motorways mostly in normal mode with about 15% spirited pressing on in Sport mode.

Mrs Fifer has an MGES mostly 40m round trip commute showing about 3.8mpKWh, but it’s a bit of a brick and not nearly as slippery as the Ioniq.
    Wow, some great figures there. When the roads are empty (and dry), it can be as low as 2.2 mi/kWh but that acceleration is intoxicating.

but that acceleration is intoxicating.
    I took a Polestar dual motor on a run in 2019 and I'd have to agree that it had some waft BUT....that novelty would soon wear off as it's completely soul-less.
    I imagine....a bit like banging a blow up doll (and I can't speak for all here on TZ but that don't hold no allure for me)
    I'll stick with my MX-5 with a foot full of "music" !! 😳😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    I took a Polestar dual motor on a run in 2019 and I'd have to agree that it had some waft BUT....that novelty would soon wear off as it's completely soul-less.
    I imagine....a bit like banging a blow up doll (and I can't speak for all here on TZ but that don't hold no allure for me)
    I'll stick with my MX-5 with a foot full of "music" !! 
    Luckily enough, I have an MX5 too , but the silent beast gives the wider grin.
    Last edited by stefaulkner; 11th November 2022 at 15:41.

Just had our 22kw 3 phase charger installed, all we need now are the cars!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Just had our 22kw 3 phase charger installed, all we need now are the cars!

Got 22kW charger at work too. Easily charge you right up during the working day.

One of the Twitter car guys shared a message he had from his local Porsche dealer - it was an opportunity that had arisen for a GT3 that had been given back-word on, £95k above list.

Nuts.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Test drove the MG4 Trophy today. On the plus side, I enjoyed driving an EV for the first time as did my wife, we both agreed it’s obviously the future - the seamless power and fluidity of the car was excellent. However, the whole car felt so horribly cheap and built to a price I found myself doubting I’d buy one - and then I realised the seats were so thin and unpadded I started getting back pain after about 10 minutes. Not designed for the larger western frame I suspect. At 6 foot 2 I couldn’t stop my knees banging into the trim either. Controls and the display were fiddly and not all that easy to use - give me a knob over a touch screen any day! - We also felt a bit car sick as passengers - neither of us had suffered from car sickness ever, so that was a bit weird. Really disappointed tbh - I think I’ll be sticking to an ICE car for a few years yet, and driving our manual diesel Tiguan away from the dealership was nicer than driving the EV, I just like the whole gear change and involvement with a car I think. I’m sure over time the tech will get more affordable and you’ll be able to get a decent quality EV for a reasonable price - the MG4 felt as well made as my Grandads Morris Marina!

Master
    If you, as a company, have to buy a brand name (MG), for folks to trust, the product will no doubt be pants. They couldn't even get the internal combustion models right, so what chance with the electrickery ones? For me it would have to be Japanese, Korean or VAG, with parts not supplied from PRC or India!

Quote Originally Posted by tixntox View Post
    If you, as a company, have to buy a brand name (MG), for folks to trust, the product will no doubt be pants. They couldn't even get the internal combustion models right, so what chance with the electrickery ones? For me it would have to be Japanese, Korean or VAG, with parts not supplied from PRC or India!
    Having driven mostly VW - golf’s, an Up, a Tiguan and a Scirocco plus a Volvo XC60 over the last few years, some from new, some of them - especially the Up - pretty cheap and/or secondhand - I was astonished at the brittle plastics everywhere, big panel gaps and horrible plastic seats - and stitching that looked like I’d done it myself in the dark. The MG was really that bad, in fact my wife had a Fiat Panda back in the early 90’s when we met and even that felt better screwed together. The guys at the MG garage were lovely, but I don’t want to spend my weekends with them getting my car mended or held together for the next 7 years because of the warrranty!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Test drove the MG4 Trophy today. On the plus side, I enjoyed driving an EV for the first time as did my wife, we both agreed it’s obviously the future - the seamless power and fluidity of the car was excellent. However, the whole car felt so horribly cheap and built to a price I found myself doubting I’d buy one - and then I realised the seats were so thin and unpadded I started getting back pain after about 10 minutes. Not designed for the larger western frame I suspect. At 6 foot 2 I couldn’t stop my knees banging into the trim either. Controls and the display were fiddly and not all that easy to use - give me a knob over a touch screen any day! - We also felt a bit car sick as passengers - neither of us had suffered from car sickness ever, so that was a bit weird. Really disappointed tbh - I think I’ll be sticking to an ICE car for a few years yet, and driving our manual diesel Tiguan away from the dealership was nicer than driving the EV, I just like the whole gear change and involvement with a car I think. I’m sure over time the tech will get more affordable and you’ll be able to get a decent quality EV for a reasonable price - the MG4 felt as well made as my Grandads Morris Marina!

I’ve not driven or even sat in an MG4, so can’t really comment on that, but people who own them seem very pleased apart from some new model teething problems (rear diff oil leaks and undertray issues).

My ID.4 went in to VW for a software update and upgrade of the 12v battery, and they loaned me a Tiguan for a couple of days whilst it was there.

Nice enough car, and a nice VW interior, but I was glad to be back in the ID.4 afterwards and it made the Tiguan feel quite ‘retro’. It was a novelty going to a garage to refill it too, I’d almost forgotten how to do that!

Horses for courses and all that, I’m sure you’ll find one you like at the right price at some point. 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I’ve not driven or even sat in an MG4, so can’t really comment on that, but people who own them seem very pleased apart from some new model teething problems (rear diff oil leaks and undertray issues).

My ID.4 went in to VW for a software update and upgrade of the 12v battery, and they loaned me a Tiguan for a couple of days whilst it was there.

Nice enough car, and a nice VW interior, but I was glad to be back in the ID.4 afterwards and it made the Tiguan feel quite ‘retro’. It was a novelty going to a garage to refill it too, I’d almost forgotten how to do that!

Horses for courses and all that, I’m sure you’ll find one you like at the right price at some point. 🙂
    I don’t think the MG is designed for a tall, chunky rugby player type frame (I don’t mean massively obese, just prop forward size!) - whereas VW group cars seem to be designed for my build, even the Up. Same with Volvo and I even had a fiesta for a bit that was very comfy. I don’t want to stump up ID4 cash at the moment ( and the current wait for one is horrendous) so looks like I’ll wait a bit longer!

Any thoughts on the car sickness feeling? Odd as my wife and I both noticed it as passengers. Neither of us ever feels sick in a car ever, is this a known EV thing??

Any thoughts on the car sickness feeling? Odd as my wife and I both noticed it as passengers. Neither of us ever feels sick in a car ever, is this a known EV thing??

It could be the G force from sudden acceleration affecting your inner ear.

My wife and son have told me that they feel a little sick if I accelerate too quickly. They say it reminds them of being on a rollercoaster, 0 to fast in a second or two!

One thing I've never thought of before in 11 months of EV ownership is being a woman and needing public chargers.

I'm in a lone charging bay in a leisure centre, off an industrial estate, in the middle of the nowhere right now and at almost 11.30pm it isn't ideal.

One thing I've never thought of before in 11 months of EV ownership is being a woman and needing public chargers.

I'm in a lone charging bay in a leisure centre, off an industrial estate, in the middle of the nowhere right now and at almost 11.30pm it isn't ideal.
    The infrastructure in the Uk is not ready for mass adoption IMO.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Some friends of ours knew a family that travelled from the Lakes to St Ives taking 14 hours. Combination of kids in back charging gadgets etc, lights, heater, roof box, poor access to charging points along with multiple stops. Said it was a nightmare

Master

It’s been discussed a lot on some of the dedicated EV forums, and there are some isolated sites around that make me feel uncomfortable, never mind my wife.

Fortunately, with two 75kWh+ EVs, public charging other than a time and place of our choosing is a rare event.

We avoid them though, and the ever growing charge hub sites are often even closer to people and facilities than the service stations, like Wetherby for example.

The Gridserve dedicated sites are also staffed 24/7, so like most things EV it’s changing for the better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Some friends of ours knew a family that travelled from the Lakes to St Ives taking 14 hours. Combination of kids in back charging gadgets etc, lights, heater, roof box, poor access to charging points along with multiple stops. Said it was a nightmare
    The use of in car gadgets, lights and heater wouldn’t be an issue in the grand scheme of things, but a roof box, access to charging, speed, weather and not least the EV they were using would be factors.

I travel from Lincs to the Lakes frequently, I don’t have to stop anywhere in either EV, it’s just a normal car journey.

Exemption from vehicle excise duty for electric cars to end in 2025.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Now........there's a surprise !!

Will cars registered before that remain exempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Will cars registered before that remain exempt?
    I'd expect not. Why should they ?
    Life is not a free ride, they've had plenty of discounts on the way to owning one. Tax breaks, incentivised purchases, free charger installation, free charging.
    Last edited by reggie747; 17th November 2022 at 15:08.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    sounds like a poorly planned trip if im honest, and thats allowing for the fact the details will be sketchy given its a 4th hand account.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Life is not a free ride, they've had plenty of discounts on the way to owning one. Tax breaks, incentivised purchases, free charger installation, free charging.
    I think hybrid cars registered before 2017 stayed road tax free for life.

Just assume same might happen for current EVs.

Have you read that today or is it older news ?
    Never assume anything with any government...

Have you read that today or is it older news ?
    I used to drive a 2016 hybrid that stayed road tax free. The 2019 I had after that was at £150 a year.

Just assume same might happen for current EVs.
    My 2014 diesel mini is still road tax exempt, so yes hybrids will be also.

My 2002 MR2 is £290 per year and I drove less than 3000 miles in 12 months, I think car tax should be on the miles driven

Master
    BIK rates for company cars are going up a little from 2025 as well, but not much. That’s important as the fleets supply the secondary markets.

Prices of things like Model 3s have come down a bit due to the glut of 3 year old models hitting the auctions.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/lat...in%202027%2F28

Further down in that article it explains the VED changes as well, that start in 2025. The key parts are as follows;

New zero emission cars registered on or after April 1, 2025, will be liable to pay the lowest first year rate of VED (which applies to vehicles with CO2 emissions 1 to 50g/km) currently £10 a year.

From the second year of registration onwards, they will move to the standard rate, currently £165 a year. Zero emission cars first registered between April 1, 2017, and March 31, 2025, will also pay the standard rate.

The Expensive Car Supplement exemption for EVs is due to end in 2025. New zero emission cars registered on or after April 1, 2025 will therefore be liable for the expensive car supplement, says the Treasury.

The Expensive Car Supplement currently applies to cars with a list price exceeding £40,000 for five years. Zero and low emission cars first registered between March 1, 2001, and March 30, 2017, currently in band A will move to the band B rate, currently £20 a year.

Zero emission vans will move to the rate for petrol and diesel light goods vehicles, currently £290 a year for most vans.

Zero emission motorcycles and tricycles will move to the rate for the smallest engine size, currently £22 a year. Rates for alternative fuel vehicles and hybrids will also be equalised

Fuel duty and VED combined raise about £35 billion for Government coffers but, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR) the growing share of electric cars threatened to cut motoring tax revenues by £2.1bn by 2026-27.

By introducing VED on EVs, the Government estimates that it will be worth an additional £515 million in 2025/26, £985m in 2026/27 and almost £1.6bn in 2027/28.
    All seems fair enough to me, the average 12k a year motorist in a 50mpg car contributes up to £1k a year in fuel duty and VAT combined on the current high prices, so it’s reasonable some of that loss is replaced as people who can switch to EVs.

There will still be fuel duty coming in for decades, but I can see a £4-500 VED rate at some point before the end of the decade, that and the VAT on public and/or home charging should see revenues kept up.
    Last edited by Tooks; 17th November 2022 at 16:48.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    My 2002 MR2 is £290 per year and I drove less than 3000 miles in 12 months, I think car tax should be on the miles driven
    Same with my Jag XF 3.0, £290 and I do less than 3000 miles/year. Don't pay anything on the MGB (historic vehicle) so I guess that balances it out somewhat. Wifey pays around half what I pay on her Focus 1.5 petrol auto and my Jag is marginally more economical, hence less CO2, especially on long runs. The emissions figures that form the basis for road tax charges are deeply flawed, I think we all know that.

Master
    At some point there will be duty on the electricity and/or road pricing

But diesel and small engines ice cars remain the same, not really consistent with the environmental message.

Correction, apparently berried in the statement was a 23% increase in fuel duty.

How many people were told when buying their cars there is no VED
    Last edited by adrianw; 17th November 2022 at 20:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    But diesel and small engines ice cars remain the same, not really consistent with the environmental message.

Correction, apparently berried in the statement was a 23% increase in fuel duty.

How many people were told when buying their cars there is no VED
    That was then but things change. Only 2 certainties in life as we know.

Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    That was then but things change. Only 2 certainties in life as we know.
    Amen to that.

Craftsman
    I’m not quite sure what this means in reality…..VED rates are dependent on exhaust emissions and a number of efficient ICE cars have zero or minimal VED liability. So how will EVS be rated?
    I suppose the obvious route is to apply the surcharge currently charged on ICE cars priced at over £40k.

"Zero emission vans will move to the rate for petrol and diesel light goods vehicles, currently £290 a year for most vans.

That bit of the statement made me howl with apathy. Why are zero emission vans to be treated differently to cars ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    I’m not quite sure what this means in reality…..VED rates are dependent on exhaust emissions and a number of efficient ICE cars have zero or minimal VED liability. So how will EVS be rated?
    I suppose the obvious route is to apply the surcharge currently charged on ICE cars priced at over £40k.
    They were linked to emissions back in 2017, not any more, they’ve broken that link.

Most low emission ICE/Hybrid cars with zero VED will move to £20 a year.

The £40k ‘expensive car tax’ will also apply to EVs registered after 1st April 2025, currently £565 a year for the first 5 years.

Compared to the costs that are going to rise everywhere else in the budget, it’s small beer isn’t it.

They expect most councils will exercise the right to raise council tax by the allowable 5% without a referendum, that’s going to sting a few people.
    Last edited by Tooks; 17th November 2022 at 21:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    At some point there will be duty on the electricity and/or road pricing
    They may go the same as a boat, there will be an an extra tax on the electricity you use for propulsion. Smart meter may help them work that out.

Took a look at the MG4 the other day having read some excellent reviews. Tbh I wouldn’t normally touch a Chinese made MG but it really looked fabulous for the money and the interior was spacious and very modern for such a relatively small car. Couldn’t drive it (having a proper test drive at the weekend) as I’d forgotten my driving licence - but got taken for a spin with the salesman at the wheel and it rode very well on a mix of A road and country roads. Mid range acceleration also seemed very brisk. And he reckoned a 16 week delivery period at the most!
    I’ve haven’t owned anything but German or Swedish cars for about 20 years, and there were a few hard plastics evident - but nothing worse than the last couple of VW’s I’ve owned! I’m seriously tempted tbh, dependent on how the test drive goes

Just looking at what is available for immediate delivery and a MG EV4 is available. With salary sacrifice the net cost is £300 pcm all in for 3 years and 10k miles per year.

We don't have a driveway, so working out how it will work.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

I see Tesla Supercharger prices have started to decrease which I'd imagine is a sign of cheaper electricity costs linked to the big drop in Gas prices per therm.

All good and well but why isn't my home electricity cost decreasing and in fact expected to increase.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I see Tesla Supercharger prices have started to decrease which I'd imagine is a sign of cheaper electricity costs linked to the big drop in Gas prices per therm.

All good and well but why isn't my home electricity cost decreasing and in fact expected to increase.
    I was going to use one the other day while stopping in for a wee, usually gets me 15-20% at the services, but it was "peak time" and had a hefty surcharge between something like 4pm and 8pm so I skipped it. I'd rather charge out the window using the 3 pin plug.

Master
    I used a fast charger in Lewes this weekend. You have to buy a parking ticket and are not allowed to use a bay for more than one hour AND whilst charging only.

Thank fully my watch told me the car was charged to 85% and stopped after 20min but then had to run back to avoid a ticket. The business model needs work on this.