closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast
Results 4,651 to 4,700 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    That's incredibly slow for an EV though. 0-60 in 10 seconds! Agree it's a cheap deal if you're after a family car and not worried about any enjoyment factor.
    Enjoyment factor is a secondary luxury. It seems a really good value, with a reasonable charging time, an ideal range for 95% of the time (at least) and a maximum speed well in excess of what you're allowed to do on the road. It's a great gateway to get into EV ownership when you don't have a six figure salary not starting with 1 ;)
    It will get even better second hand, thus allowing even more people to jump on that wagon with a family car that will be very affordable... with a small caveat about insurances, which may need state intervention if the government wants to achieve its net zero targets.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    The issue is with Octopus Go you only get the low rate for four hours 12:30-4:30 am, that is about 80 miles, if you need more than that you will be paying the higher rate
    Intelligent Go is 6hrs at 7.5p.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Intelligent Go is 6hrs at 7.5p.
    JLR stopped the Ipace talking to it yesterday

Yes, but as already pointed out, you can simply turn off the 'intelligent' bit in the app and it will work as a dumb charger with any car at the same cost.

Yes, but as already pointed out, you can simply turn off the 'intelligent' bit in the app and it will work as a dumb charger with any car at the same cost.
    At normal rates, outside of the off peak, a lot of people in the Ipace groups have done the maths and say they are selling, my wif doesn't do enough miles for it to affect her.

But they were always paying normal rates outside the off peak?

But they were always paying normal rates outside the off peak?
    Intelligent octopus gave them longer discounted charge periods

https://octopus.energy/smart/intelligent-octopus-go/

Yes, I'm on the tariff so know how it works. I can see how there's an increase in cost for people needing more than 120miles of charge every night but I would have thought that was a fairly small subset.

Master

Can’t you use the charger to control the charging times? That’s what we do as we have 2 EVs so it was easier to set up the charging schedule in the charger than do it for both cars.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Yes, I'm on the tariff so know how it works. I can see how there's an increase in cost for people needing more than 120miles of charge every night but I would have thought that was a fairly small subset.
    An Ipace only achieves an average of 80 miles of charge in four hours on a home charger

An Ipace only achieves an average of 80 miles of charge in four hours on a home charger
    Which, by my rudimentary maths, would be 120miles in the 6hr off peak charge period of intelligent go.

Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    Can’t you use the charger to control the charging times? That’s what we do as we have 2 EVs so it was easier to set up the charging schedule in the charger than do it for both cars.

Do you charge them at the same time ? 64 amps on a domestic supply is pushing it if you have other appliances on,

I'm not talking about being able to charge the Ipace it's charging it in the discounted window

Which, by my rudimentary maths, would be 120miles in the 6hr charge period.
    But octopus go is four hours, why do you keep isaying it's six hours

Master
    Intelligent Octopus and Octopus Go are different tariffs, the former is 6 hours.

I think what people are trying to say is that although Jaguar have withdrawn API access so that Octopus can’t talk directly to your charger/car and charge it when they say the off peak is, there’s nothing to stop you setting up the car or charger software (if your latter has the capability) to charge in the off-peak window that Octopus advertise?

I have plain old Economy 7 via EON, no smart meter, and use my charger software to only allow the EVs to draw power from it during the off-peak 9.2p per kWh window between 0100 and 0800.

All Jaguar have done is stopped Octopus accessing your car to set it up, but you can do it yourself and indeed is what people had to do before Octopus and Ohme etc brought in ‘smart chargers’ and API access to your car.

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Do you charge them at the same time ? 64 amps on a domestic supply is pushing it if you have other appliances on,

I'm not talking about being able to charge the Ipace it's charging it in the discounted window
    No they are not charged at the same time. We’ are on the agile tariff now but when we were on octopus go we just had the podpoint charger set to charge between 12:30-4:30 so whatever car was plugged got charged during those times.
    Because our non-EV usage is quite high we actually find that the agile tariff works out cheaper for us than Go as the peak rate is so much lower for most of the day.

Last edited by stuie-t; 6th March 2024 at 15:36.

I’m still confused - octopus talks to my Ohme home pro charger which I’ve set to only charge at 7.5p so between 11.30pm and 5.30am. That’s 6 hours. There is no direct link with Cupra and I don’t touch the Cupra app - I just plug it in around 8pm and by 7am the next morning the car is always at 80% as I’ve requested (and it seems to add over 100 miles range if that’s what is needed in that window). I don’t think any Cupra software gets involved as I don’t set anything in the car or on the Cupra app - I assume the car tells the charger it’s hit 80% charge and stops. If I drive a different brand of car I assume it would work exactly the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Unless you are Mr YPLAC from Surrey, or should that be charge like one?
    lol I want one or both of these Tesla gone at some point. Keep looking at e class estates but I’m way off from buying anything yet. Rushed into the Model Y and should have bought an estate instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I think what people are trying to say is that although Jaguar have withdrawn API access so that Octopus can’t talk directly to your charger/car and charge it when they say the off peak is, there’s nothing to stop you setting up the car or charger software (if your latter has the capability) to charge in the off-peak window that Octopus advertise?
    Exactly. Any EV can use IOG in this way to get 6 hours @ 7.5p. You only won't get the odd periods when they have a special deal on outside of the overnight hours.
    Last edited by Mr Curta; 6th March 2024 at 20:46.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I’m still confused - octopus talks to my Ohme home pro charger which I’ve set to only charge at 7.5p so between 11.30pm and 5.30am. That’s 6 hours. There is no direct link with Cupra and I don’t touch the Cupra app - I just plug it in around 8pm and by 7am the next morning the car is always at 80% as I’ve requested (and it seems to add over 100 miles range if that’s what is needed in that window). I don’t think any Cupra software gets involved as I don’t set anything in the car or on the Cupra app - I assume the car tells the charger it’s hit 80% charge and stops. If I drive a different brand of car I assume it would work exactly the same?
    It kind of does work like that, but you can get additional advantages (or faff!) depending on how much you want to get involved.

https://ohme-ev.com/ie/support/my-ca...e%20you%20need.

If Ohme (or octopus) know what percentage charge your car is at via the API and what you’ve set it to charge to, they could choose to charge it outside of the traditional hours, for example to take advantage of a sunny/windy day when energy might be cheap and pass that on to you.

I just plug my car in whenever it’s parked at home, and limit the charge percentage in the car or via the App, and the charger has a schedule which just wakes the car up at 0100 and it charges until it reaches that set percentage, usually 80%, or stops at 0800 whichever is sooner.

I prefer to keep things simple, but also appreciate that for others with solar and/or different electricity tariffs the electricity provider deciding when you can get cheaper rates might be even cheaper and save you doing the leg work.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    lol I want one or both of these Tesla gone at some point. Keep looking at e class estates but I’m way off from buying anything yet. Rushed into the Model Y and should have bought an estate instead.
    Oh bugger, sorry to read that! Always thought the Y was the X I just googled and learned I was wrong, as my friends have the X and was about to question the space.

E & 5 series estates always have a soft spot for me, so does the new M3 estate. I just have no need for anything that size or practicality, so god knows why I like them so much.

New Smart is too big for our sh1tbox car, just wish the 453 range was high enough to do a 55 mile daily trip for my wife as would be perfect. I bought the 0.9t at 17k miles, did about 1k miles before covid & no longer parking at the station, wife’s added 43k to it - EV savings would have been great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mj2k; 6th March 2024 at 23:12.

Just think of the new 'hobbies' EV owners can get into.

Can anyone advise me about charging? I've got a 110 mile commute that I do on average twice a week. Often the journey is consecutive days though. If I'm looking at 64kwH cars with published ranges of 285miles, what does that mean in real life range? Would I be able to get enough charge in the 5 hours overnight cheap rate on the middle night to replenish the range for the second commute?

If you click the link that you yourself shared, you'll see it's 6hrs.

As others have said already, there are work arounds for most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Can anyone advise me about charging? I've got a 110 mile commute that I do on average twice a week. Often the journey is consecutive days though. If I'm looking at 64kwH cars with published ranges of 285miles, what does that mean in real life range? Would I be able to get enough charge in the 5 hours overnight cheap rate on the middle night to replenish the range for the second commute?
    Depending on the car you buy, 3 miles per kwhr should be easily attainable so you journey would use about 37kwhr leaving you 24 kwhr left for the next day. Charging at 7kw would replenish the 37kw used in just over five hours so, with five hours overnight charging, you’d be fully charged ready for the next morning.

Depending on what car you buy though (not ipace or EQC), you could expect 3.5-4 miles per kwhr so could do both commutes without needing to charge between journeys.

110 miles per day over two days should be fine in summer and going 60-65mph but in the winter you would definitely need to charge overnight, especially if the drive involves motorways.

Motorways are the worst place for EVs as there is no regen and your mileage estimate includes regen.

My car is meant to be about 285 mile range but in winter with the heated seats and aircon on driving down the motorway I wouldn’t expect a 210 miles.

Have a look at what type of chargers are on your route as you will no doubt need them once or twice in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Quite car dependent but if you assume real world range of 200 miles, you should still have 90 miles 'in the tank' after the first day and adding 30kwH overnight would give you plenty for the second day.

Master
    Quite car dependent but if you assume real world range of 200 miles, you should still have 90 miles 'in the tank' after the first day and adding 30kwH overnight would give you plenty for the second day.

Second this - depends on the roads (all motorway at 85 mph will suck juice!) but you should have no problem. Rough maths says you’d be able to 2/3 charge your car in the cheap hours, and you’d only be using under half of the charge on your commute, so you’d be setting off fully charged on the second day. You’d have to be doing a daily round trip of, say, 160 miles to end up paying full rate for some of the recharging.

Epic.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Don't be late or all the "charge ports" will be full...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Don't be late or all the "charge ports" will be full...
    Haha!

Craftsman
    I’m in same boat as you but a lot can change in two months (tariff on 6 hours valid until May). Will have to wait and see…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman

We just got our EV and I have not changed to a cheap tariff yet as the new price cap comes in to effect in April and as we are hardly using the car it’s going to make little difference to wait and see if there are any better rates, mainly in the regular rate portion

But we have charged it 3 times so far, first time publicly as the charger was not fitted and that was quite expensive but the other 2 times just on our regular EDF tarrif

We are averaging around 3miles per Kilowatt

We have the MG ZS Trophy long range

O

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 8th March 2024 at 09:10.

Craftsman
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-in...repair-support

I guess this would impact any new manufacturer but may be if interest to anyone considering a non mainstream model

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxboy View Post
    https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-in...repair-support

I guess this would impact any new manufacturer but may be if interest to anyone considering a non mainstream model

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
    I read that there are over 90 Chinese companies making EV's currently, the market is said to be able to support less than 1/2 of that so many companies are going to go under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO05...ElectricViking

Anyone fancy a 49k deposit contribution

Jobs knackered

https://www.inchcape.co.uk/new-cars/...-offer-282828/

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Anyone fancy a 49k deposit contribution

Jobs knackered

https://www.inchcape.co.uk/new-cars/...-offer-282828/
    Not really, it’s just that the car is vastly overpriced to start with. At around £80k, it’s a relatively reasonable price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Not really, it’s just that the car is vastly overpriced to start with. At around £80k, it’s a relatively reasonable price.
    Would be a good opportunity for somebody to take the finance deal then exercise their rights to settle the finance after a couple of weeks with no penalty. I wonder if there’s small print around the deposit contribution?

If you took the deal though and saw the agreement through, it would be £10k deposit, £46k in repayments and then £50k if you actually wanted to own it, or around £106k which is still a fair discount on the inflated list price.

That’s the bit that’s knackering though, the idea that any of that is sensible! :-D

It is a fantastic EV to drive though, albeit as you say very over priced at £130k.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Yes really Dave after 35 years in the job this is zee biggest FDA i have seen and is indicative of current climate and demand and RV could be touch and go in 4 years.

But concede New prices hiked constantly like new watch prices isn’t helpful

Quote Originally Posted by TKH View Post
    Yes really Dave after 35 years in the job this is zee biggest FDA i have seen and is indicative of current climate and demand and RV could be touch and go in 4 years.

But concede New prices hiked constantly like new watch prices isn’t helpful
    I can well believe it’s the largest FDA (deposit contribution?) you’ve seen to date, it’s massive.

But as they say, one swallow doesn’t a summer make.

I really don’t think you can take this one deal on what is, a very expensive car, as indicative of the end of EVs. We are in a period of change and it isn’t going to be an easy road, there will be ups and gowns along the way but the world is going EV and we all need to accept that it is happening.

£50k deposit contribution on a £130k car. Confidence inspiring, no wonder I’ve only seen one in real life.

Time will tell Dave I think Sweden or Norway is at 80% + take up but government has fully committed and supported incl charging rates.

TBF I was generalising about the ‘job’ not EV’s specifically.

But when you have to knock off the price of a well specced S3 off an E Tron that’s staggering

Are they trying to say that is a £180k car? Madness, it’s nice but it’s not that nice.

This is a problem with electric cars though, adding power does not add complexity (by and large) or a better sound and the incremental value of 5s vs 3.6s to 60 is zero to almost all buyers. So the premium of the halo models is a very hard sell.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    £50k deposit contribution on a £130k car. Confidence inspiring, no wonder I’ve only seen one in real life.
    Not seen one either, if it was me I would be looking at a taycan.

Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    There’s four or five around here and, to be fair, they are a really impressive car. Not £130k impressive though, £80-£90k is definitely more realistic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Middo View Post
    theres plenty in dublin of both, and if you take the badge out of it the etron gt is the nicer car imo, but if it was my money id go taycan as well

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    if it was my money id go taycan as well
    2024's updated model, I'd hope. Better looks, range and performance aren't going to do anything to help the current generation's residuals.

Craftsman

CHina EV

Quote Originally Posted by Liner33 View Post
    I read that there are over 90 Chinese companies making EV's currently, the market is said to be able to support less than 1/2 of that so many companies are going to go under

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO05...ElectricViking
    I've just returned from a 2 week trip to China after a 5 year absence and was blown away by just how many EVs there were, compared to last time I was there. Saw plenty of BYDs but most of them were from brands that were completely unknown to me. I get driven around whilst I'm there and it's normally a MPV that gets sent- so I experienced quite a few - this one really stood out - definitely a nice place to sit!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3...n-uk-customers

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoc View Post
    I've just returned from a 2 week trip to China after a 5 year absence and was blown away by just how many EVs there were, compared to last time I was there. Saw plenty of BYDs but most of them were from brands that were completely unknown to me. I get driven around whilst I'm there and it's normally a MPV that gets sent- so I experienced quite a few - this one really stood out - definitely a nice place to sit!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3...n-uk-customers
    Jeeeez !! What in the name of the Starship Enterprise is going on with the front end of that ?

Inspired by the Lexus LM, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Inspired by the Lexus LM, I'd say.