closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 96 of 99 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
Results 4,751 to 4,800 of 4936

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Nothing to do with money or salaries P, small batteries and having to carefully plan your journeys around what few chargers are available is a distant memory.
    Hmmm I kinda disagree, the Dacia spring about 15 k from new, cheapest EV on the UK market, range of about 100 miles...anyone on a budget wanting a new Leccy car is gonna really have to plan their journeys if wanting to do more than pootle round town and back/ so expensive public charging, planning routes.

That polestar 3 with a no worries real world range of 200 some miles, what's that cost new, 60 or 70k?

Course its money...
    Last edited by Passenger; 15th March 2024 at 20:31.

Craftsman
    Its not 2010 anymore you know?
    Yes mate thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those of us who were on two wheels a few years back (like 40 ) may remember having to plan their journeys much more carefully should they decide to avoid motorways (which are dreadful on most motorbikes), especially on Sundays. Nothing new, we dealt with it; the excuse was not so much linked to bladder issues at the time, but the need to stretch and get a bit of respite for our lower backside.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    Nothing to do with money or salaries P, small batteries and having to carefully plan your journeys around what few chargers are available is a distant memory.
    Again not the point you are assuming your hunger or bladder requirements coincide with a convient 40 min stop so you can buy a coffee at generate another reason to stop.

EV are not as convient as ICE that just is no matter what the fan boys say. I don't mind EV but they are not a one size fits all.

If I had an ICE car with a range of 600 miles I'd fill it in a few mins. Sure 600 miles is a lot in Britain not a great deal in America or australia.

Horses for courses and I would still BBQ my steak...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Those of us who were on two wheels a few years back (like 40 ) may remember having to plan their journeys much more carefully should they decide to avoid motorways (which are dreadful on most motorbikes), especially on Sundays. Nothing new, we dealt with it; the excuse was not so much linked to bladder issues at the time, but the need to stretch and get a bit of respite for our lower backside.
    Irrelevant though Marc as no one least not in the UK takes the wife and kids on the bike with em, it ant India...though the state of the roads is getting similar

Craftsman
    Good story but I just wanna get where I'm going without faffing. If the wife takes I'll and I need to go to a&e like two months ago I don't want to worry if some AI or whatever has charged my car.

I don't mind your choice could not care less but mines will always be what I consider best for me and can only suggest you do likewise.

Horses for courses no more and no less

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmod View Post
    EV solves some of the transport problems - provided journeys are short and you can home charge making them cheep. Other use cases, I'm not convinced
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    What do you consider a short journey? Many new EVs have an official range of >300 miles, likely still 200+ in the real world. The Polestar 3 I have on order has an official range of nearly 400 miles or at least 250+ real world. The kids will want me to stop for food or a pee (and charge) long before the car runs out of juice.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    You (and most others of course) have ignored Foxmod's other point.

For the half of UK who don't have access to a home charger, range is largely irrelevant - they are just not an economical proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Again not the point you are assuming your hunger or bladder requirements coincide with a convient 40 min stop so you can buy a coffee at generate another reason to stop.

EV are not as convient as ICE that just is no matter what the fan boys say. I don't mind EV but they are not a one size fits all.

If I had an ICE car with a range of 600 miles I'd fill it in a few mins. Sure 600 miles is a lot in Britain not a great deal in America or australia.

Yes, youre right; until you can drive 1000 miles without stopping to charge, an EV will never be suitable!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    If I may enquire what sort've of price is the polestar 3 coming in at...
    List price is 80k for launch edition, about 400/month net cost to me on the salary sacrifice though

Hmmm I kinda disagree, the Dacia spring about 15 k from new, cheapest EV on the UK market, range of about 100 miles...anyone on a budget wanting a new Leccy car is gonna really have to plan their journeys if wanting to do more than pootle round town and back/ so expensive public charging, planning routes.

That polestar 3 with a no worries real world range of 200 some miles, what's that cost new, 60 or 70k?

Course its money...
    Theres an almost infinite choice of vehicles out there to suit everyones needs. We all choose what suits us best but, as with everything in life, we cant always have everything we want.

If someone wants a new EV but is on a budget and has to cover longer distances, he has a choice of new Dacia and plan his routes, older EV with a bigger battery or new ICE. If he cant afford to have it all then he will have to decide what hes willing to compromise on. Its called life, we all have to live within our means.

List price is 80k for launch edition, about 400/month net cost to me on the salary sacrifice though

Thank you.

Irrelevant though Marc as no one least not in the UK takes the wife and kids on the bike with em, it ant India...though the state of the roads is getting similar
    It's not irrelevant: Umbrosus was complaining about having to plan his journey; I was just highlighting that it was not a new conundrum reserved for EVs but something that was common place not so long ago. And for those who mention travelling with the family, I remember pestering my father for specific brands of petrol so as to complete my collection of whatever they were offering, often at the expense of a dangerously empty jauge.

And it was not to say EVs are for everyone, just to say that some complaints say more about the complainant than they do about their needs.

Craftsman
    Yes, youre right; until you can drive 1000 miles without stopping to charge, an EV will never be suitable!
    Lol....untill EV are as convient they should not be talked about as if they are.

If you have a drive then sure great they are worth the bother ATM untill the tax man gets his claws in then we will see. Without home /work charging they are an expensive inconvenience but you do you

I doubt it's unuseful all these smart chargers monitor what goes to the car and would be easily taxed. The first thing I would be getting is a non smart charger.

Horses for courses and I like the growl...lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post

Heck, I have an EV and still barbecue my steaks, now Im confused! :-D

Yes, there is a bit of adapting and planning if its your first long trip on an unfamiliar route, but thats becoming easier and easier with all the rapid charging hubs popping up.

As has been said though, people should drive whatever works best for them, itll probably never be the case that you have to own an EV, arguably it will be if you want a new car, but as of the last national travel survey on average people drive 15 miles a day, so EVs would work for many many people just fine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...s-in-car-trips

I know people will say its an average, what about the long trips, but many car journeys are also very short, 2 miles or so.

22% of households have no car at all.

Only 5% of cars on UK roads cover more than 15k miles a year.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car...es%20per%20day.

It all just supports the idea that we all have different wants and needs from personal transport, and whilst I honestly dont care what kind of vehicle people drive, a lot of us probably dont need the car we think we do.

Craftsman
    It's not irrelevant: Umbrosus was complaining about having to plan his journey; I was just highlighting that it was not a new conundrum reserved for EVs but something that was common place not so long ago. And for those who mention travelling with the family, I remember pestering my father for specific brands of petrol so as to complete my collection of whatever they were offering, often at the expense of a dangerously empty jauge.

And it was not to say EVs are for everyone, just to say that some complaints say more about the complainant than they do about their needs.
    Lol I have few complaints and certainly one is not concerning a car I don't own.

The complaint you mention is an observation that was one reason I went ICE for my last car. It's a means to get to my end point.

I really don't care who they work for they are a bad option for me but only me when I read through some of the posts they are great for some especially if you have a salary sacrifice and a driveway...who knew...but me in my wee council house they are shit...bit I am pleased they work for you

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    For the half of UK who don't have access to a home charger, range is largely irrelevant - they are just not an economical proposition.
    Im replying to this not for sake of argument, but in the spirit of it being a discussion. :-)

Its more like 30% of households dont have private parking, I wonder how many of those overlap with the 22% of households that dont own a car at all?

Charging provision at home rates for those without home chargers remains a challenge, for sure, but every car parks somewhere for tens of hours a day so thats where the charging needs to be.

People who do very low mileages, like my elderly father, would be served by charging once a fortnight somewhere like one of the EV fuel stations popping up.

I was in a Cumbrian village public car park recently, I was surprised and pleased to see theyd installed public charging, with preferential rates for residents, presumably an effort to tackle the problem you raised.

Its still early days, theres a long way to go yet, but Im optimistic.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Heck, I have an EV and still barbecue my steaks, now Im confused! :-D

Yes, there is a bit of adapting and planning if its your first long trip on an unfamiliar route, but thats becoming easier and easier with all the rapid charging hubs popping up.

As has been said though, people should drive whatever works best for them, itll probably never be the case that you have to own an EV, arguably it will be if you want a new car, but as of the last national travel survey on average people drive 15 miles a day, so EVs would work for many many people just fine.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statis...s-in-car-trips

I know people will say its an average, what about the long trips, but many car journeys are also very short, 2 miles or so.

22% of households have no car at all.

Only 5% of cars on UK roads cover more than 15k miles a year.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car...es%20per%20day.

It all just supports the idea that we all have different wants and needs from personal transport, and whilst I honestly dont care what kind of vehicle people drive, a lot of us probably dont need the car we think we do.
    It is a relief to read that you BBQ that steak. Just checked mine today to get ready for the summer and did some chicken for a roll. Man how I've missed the BBQ

If I had a drive i would have bought an ev I think but I don't so I didnt. I drive 20 miles to work and back and in the summer another 15 to walk the dog somewhere a bit nicer most days. Maybe a trip to Edinburgh here and there at 120 miles or so. Would have worked well with a decent tarriff but I live where I live.

But I really am happy for those it works for. If you are happy and it costs me nothing then great I say

Master
    You (and most others of course) have ignored Foxmod's other point.

Surely range is even more important if you dont have a home charger since a higher range means you need to need to visit a public charger less often.

Craftsman
    Surely range is even more important if you dont have a home charger since a higher range means you need to need to visit a public charger less often.

It's more of a cost thing for me

At home it's like 7p out and about the average of a friend's car was 70p for the month but he does charge on motorways which I am sure are expensive.

I only fill once a fortnight I recon I am an ideal candidate for an elec car but the driveway is the coupon buster. I may be alone in that but for me that's it

I was in a Cumbrian village public car park recently, I was surprised and pleased to see theyd installed public charging, with preferential rates for residents, presumably an effort to tackle the problem you raised.

The parking in the village hall has 2 charging stations.

Craftsman
    Do you know the price per Kw for residents and non residents at all

Master
    Yep, and they were both empty.

Might make it viable for a few folks to adopt an EV should they want to.

You've ignored the cost aspect again. Whether you have to visit the charger once or twice a week it just isn't economical compared to a combustion vehicle.

Craftsman

Surely if there are two spaces you can't leave it parked in the space all night.

Sounds more like an argument made to fit rather than a decent solution to a problem.

Not particularly meant to be argumentative just not a solution to even 3 cars needing to charge for the morning.

It IS all about infrastructure for EVs. There is an EV out there for most people - but perhaps at a cost that they cannot afford.

For those without a totally private charging space- say those who live in flatted developments with communal parking (purely for the residents) it can be hard/impossible to arrange for charging points to be installed as they take away from the ‘amenity’ of each person’s title deeds of conditions.

Even if everyone agrees to it- the deeds for every flat require altering to suit. Try getting all to agree though.

The other thing that will prevent people from going full-electric IS of course ‘fuel anxiety’, and even if a journey is planned- people do perceive that there can either be unavailability at the station they require, or be the chance of ‘confrontation’ with other motorists if there is a queue for chargers at stations.

All very well saying “it’s what people used to do” - who want’s to spend 40k on a car to go back to ‘60s route planning??

Im replying to this not for sake of argument, but in the spirit of it being a discussion. :-)

Its more like 30% of households dont have private parking, I wonder how many of those overlap with the 22% of households that dont own a car at all?

Charging provision at home rates for those without home chargers remains a challenge, for sure, but every car parks somewhere for tens of hours a day so thats where the charging needs to be.

People who do very low mileages, like my elderly father, would be served by charging once a fortnight somewhere like one of the EV fuel stations popping up.

According to this research, https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/lat...ctric-vehicles, 44% of homes are unsuitable for EV vehicles.
    I'm not optimistic that the likes of a couple of chargers in a village car park (in an area where most residents may well have driveways anyway) will be much help.

Master
    You've ignored the cost aspect again. Whether you have to visit the charger once or twice a week it just isn't economical compared to a combustion vehicle.
    I am not ignoring the cost. His original point was that they are only suitable for short distances AND if you have home charging. This is just not true. There are plenty of options, some with quite long ranges.
    My point was that you dont need a car with a long range if you only go short distances AND have home charging. If you only go short distances but dont have a home charger then a longer range car would be more suitable. Yes it will cost you more to charge at a public charger, but it is more convenient to have to use one less often. If you have to go long distances and dont have a home charger then an EV is almost certainly not the right answer for you.

It is you that is only focussed on the charging cost when that is only one consideration.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    It IS all about infrastructure for EVs. There is an EV out there for most people - but perhaps at a cost that they cannot afford.

For those without a totally private charging space- say those who live in flatted developments with communal parking (purely for the residents) it can be hard/impossible to arrange for charging points to be installed as they take away from the ‘amenity’ of each person’s title deeds of conditions.

Even if everyone agrees to it- the deeds for every flat require altering to suit. Try getting all to agree though.

The other thing that will prevent people from going full-electric IS of course ‘fuel anxiety’, and even if a journey is planned- people do perceive that there can either be unavailability at the station they require, or be the chance of ‘confrontation’ with other motorists if there is a queue for chargers at stations.

All very well saying “it’s what people used to do” - who want’s to spend 40k on a car to go back to ‘60s route planning??
    If I had a drive and this was occasional planning then no worries but it's no way to live week to week. The car is there to make my life easier and for me a ICE car does that. While it's not 2010 we are fast approaching 1984

Craftsman
    Anyone watching the Chelsea v arsenal wsl game a very decent standard enjoying watching it...full disclosure I am a Manchester United fan so the standard is relative to what I watch week in week out...lol

I am not ignoring the cost. His original point was that they are only suitable for short distances AND if you have home charging. This is just not true. There are plenty of options, some with quite long ranges.
    My point was that you dont need a car with a long range if you only go short distances AND have home charging. If you only go short distances but dont have a home charger then a longer range car would be more suitable. Yes it will cost you more to charge at a public charger, but it is more convenient to have to use one less often. If you have to go long distances and dont have a home charger then an EV is almost certainly not the right answer for you.

It is you that is only focussed on the charging cost when that is only one consideration.

For myself and many others (and I assumed the poster) cost is the major consideration. Do you really think that people will happily pay 4x the home charging cost (or whatever it is) even if your long range EV needs charging less often.

Master
    According to this research, https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/lat...ctric-vehicles, 44% of homes are unsuitable for EV vehicles.
    I'm not optimistic that the likes of a couple of chargers in a village car park (in an area where most residents may well have driveways anyway) will be much help.
    It was just an example.

Most cars are parked somewhere most of the day, thats the key to this, in a couple of decades if EVs become the majority of passenger cars on the road.

The house percentage varies depending on where you look, but its probably in the region of 30-44%.

https://www.racfoundation.org/media-...23-hours-a-day

Master

For those without a totally private charging space- say those who live in flatted developments with communal parking (purely for the residents) it can be hard/impossible to arrange for charging points to be installed as they take away from the amenity of each persons title deeds of conditions.

The other thing that will prevent people from going full-electric IS of course fuel anxiety, and even if a journey is planned- people do perceive that there can either be unavailability at the station they require, or be the chance of confrontation with other motorists if there is a queue for chargers at stations.

All very well saying its what people used to do - who wants to spend 40k on a car to go back to 60s route planning??
    Yes, flats etc remain a challenge, the legal aspects are complex as you say.

My sister lives in central London, she cant install a charger but she doesnt own a car either, in common with the majority of the people on her street. She is a member of a car club though, EVs and ICE cars/vans all available to her within walking distance.

Whilst Ive never done 60s route planning I dont really think leaving the car to work out where it needs to charge or using an App to do it for you is that arduous. Ive got a 220-260 mile range EV, covers anywhere I need to go in the UK with no problems.

As ever though, people do and will have the choice to do what works for them, for a long time yet.

It was just an example.

Most cars are parked somewhere most of the day, thats the key to this, in a couple of decades if EVs become the majority of passenger cars on the road.

The house percentage varies depending on where you look, but its probably in the region of 30-44%.

How is that the key? Most won't be able to be parked next to a cheap charger.

Where has your 30-44% come from? Report I linked said 44%. (Suppose 44% is 30-44% but so is 44-70%.)

It was just an example.

Most cars are parked somewhere most of the day, that’s the key to this, in a couple of decades if EVs become the majority of passenger cars on the road.

The house percentage varies depending on where you look, but it’s probably in the region of 30-44%.

Taking where I live (Harrogate) there is an awful lot of streets where there is only on-street parking and it is pot luck if somebody can park outside their house or 3 streets away. Regardless of if this is 1 hour or 23 hours, the ability to charge is pretty much non-existent at home for those in this position. I was talking to a chap at Sainsbury's a few weeks ago (they have installed 8 EV charging spaces) who had his Merc. plugged in. It was a company car and he has the street parking dilema but his employer has switched them all to EV's. He is home based and either has to charge up on his way home or first thing in the morning, loved the car but he said even 6 months in it is a PITA and it often results in him getting home later than he ever did before the change.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Taking where I live (Harrogate) there is an awful lot of streets where there is only on-street parking and it is pot luck if somebody can park outside their house or 3 streets away. Regardless of if this is 1 hour or 23 hours, the ability to charge is pretty much non-existent at home for those in this position. I was talking to a chap at Sainsbury's a few weeks ago (they have installed 8 EV charging spaces) who had his Merc. plugged in. It was a company car and he has the street parking dilema but his employer has switched them all to EV's. He is home based and either has to charge up on his way home or first thing in the morning, loved the car but he said even 6 months in it is a PITA and it often results in him getting home later than he ever did before the change.
    They really are not convenient without a driveway.

A ice car take a couple of mins to fill for 600 miles an ev takes an hour to charge to 50% or close to for 150 miles one pump is needed for ever 30 to 50 chargers unless the vast majority are charging at home. Of course those who aren't will be charged an arm and a leg.

Horses for courses I'm afraid no more no less

Master
    How is that the key? Most won't be able to be parked next to a cheap charger.

Where has your 30-44% come from? Report I linked said 44%. (Suppose 44% is 30-44% but so is 44-70%.)
    For example, 30% according to these folks.

https://es.catapult.org.uk/report/on...%20occupations.

I was suggesting the actual number is somewhere between 30 and 44% as per your link. A lot of the charging not possible households will also be households that dont own cars either, like my Sister.

Blog Entries

For those without a totally private charging space- say those who live in flatted developments with communal parking (purely for the residents) it can be hard/impossible to arrange for charging points to be installed as they take away from the amenity of each persons title deeds of conditions.

The other thing that will prevent people from going full-electric IS of course fuel anxiety, and even if a journey is planned- people do perceive that there can either be unavailability at the station they require, or be the chance of confrontation with other motorists if there is a queue for chargers at stations.

All very well saying its what people used to do - who wants to spend 40k on a car to go back to 60s route planning??
    Having lived with an EV for over three years I did not once have fuel anxiety and its a 200 mile trip to see middle kiddie and his family. 95% time I do well under 150 miles a day and my bladder plans my trips. 60s route planning????! What the hell are you on????

Cost???? Im now jumping back into EV ownership for 20k, I would not dream of playing that for another ICE beemer, merc or Audi. Others do and its absolutely fine with me, I dont spit crap out of my keyboard at them.

Why do people who do have not a clue of real life EV experience keep judging those who choose EV and suggested they are fucking clueless.

This thread should revert back to people genuinely discussing their EV ownership and informing others thinking of it instead of brainless ill informed low lifes trolling crap.

Peace dudes

Pitch

Master
    Charging outside your home isnt the issue really, same as parking outside your home cant be guaranteed either.

If the streets in question had kerbside charging though, activated by an RFID card that charged the same rate as your home tariff, then why couldnt that work?

As people always point out, whatever electricity company you are with, the electricity is the electricity, and companies charge different rates for it neighbour to neighbour.

If Eon supply the electricity to my house, why cant they sell me electricity two streets away?

Nobody does a tariff like that right now, but why couldnt they?

Master
    For myself and many others (and I assumed the poster) cost is the major consideration. Do you really think that people will happily pay 4x the home charging cost (or whatever it is) even if your long range EV needs charging less often.
    Yes, if the overall cost of owning and running the car is not much different. Even if I didnt have a home charger, there is no way that I could run the ICE equivalent of my EV for anything like the overall net cost to me of that car.
    EVs currently do not make sense for private buyers who dont have their own charger, they dont make sense if you are doing very high mileage irrespective of whether you have a home charger - I get that. But you seem unable to comprehend that there are many people that they do work for. For those of us that are fortunate enough to have the option of a car under salary sacrifice, the savings available would pay for a lot of public charging.

Charging outside your home isnt the issue really, same as parking outside your home cant be guaranteed either.

If the streets in question had kerbside charging though, activated by an RFID card that charged the same rate as your home tariff, then why couldnt that work?

As people always point out, whatever electricity company you are with, the electricity is the electricity, and companies charge different rates for it neighbour to neighbour.

If Eon supply the electricity to my house, why cant they sell me electricity two streets away?

Nobody does a tariff like that right now, but why couldnt they?
    There is no big demand and no imperative other than EV owner frustration?

For example, 30% according to these folks.

https://es.catapult.org.uk/report/on...%20occupations.

I was suggesting the actual number is somewhere between 30 and 44% as per your link. A lot of the charging not possible households will also be households that dont own cars either, like my Sister.
    Having access to off-street parking is not the same as being suitable for EVs.

A lot of the 'charging possible' households will also be carless.

Master
    There is no big demand and no imperative other than EV owner frustration?
    Im not sure what you mean by that, but clearly Im thinking somewhere down the track.

Only 3% or so of cars on the road right now are electric, or just over a million, so demand for innovative charge schemes is limited.

In 10 years time though, things might be different, if people like me are thinking about it Im sure those with even more vision will be too. Theres money to be made here, and Im sure the market will move to make it.

Im not a frustrated EV owner, quite the opposite, they work for me just fine and save me a packet versus an equivalent size and performance petrol car.

If EVs never take off and become the majority of cars on the road, then so be it. Ive been benefiting for a decade, and will be for a while yet Im sure. If Hydrogen or some other tech starts to make more sense and take off, then great Ill buy into that instead.

No dramas.

Master
    Having access to off-street parking is not the same as being suitable for EVs.

A lot of the 'charging possible' households will also be carless.
    Im sure thats the case, but not sure it matters that much, it is what it is.

There are solutions to it though, if theres a will and a way. There is a way, the will remains to be seen.

I’m not sure what you mean by that, but clearly I’m thinking somewhere down the track.

Only 3% or so of cars on the road right now are electric, or just over a million, so demand for innovative charge schemes is limited.

In 10 years time though, things might be different, if people like me are thinking about it I’m sure those with even more vision will be too. There’s money to be made here, and I’m sure the market will move to make it.

I’m not a frustrated EV owner, quite the opposite, they work for me just fine and save me a packet versus an equivalent size and performance petrol car.

If EVs never take off and become the majority of cars on the road, then so be it. I’ve been benefiting for a decade, and will be for a while yet I’m sure. If Hydrogen or some other tech starts to make more sense and take off, then great I’ll buy into that instead.

No dramas.
    Of course - not suggesting any frustration or drama, rather discussing some of the issues per-se.

I think the current situation is muddled by the amount of the 3% that are company cars/salary sacrifice situations verses the number in private ownership/personal lease.

There is clearly some way to go before the future becomes clearer/cleaner.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 15th March 2024 at 23:06.

Master
    Of course - not suggesting any frustration or drama, rather discussing some of the issues per-se.

I think the current situation is muddled by the amount of the 3% that are company cars/salary sacrifice situations verses the number in private ownership/personal lease.

There is clearly some way to go before the future becomes clearer/cleaner.
    Agreed Chris. I think its probably quite a few of the 3% are company hacks, but I think thats the strategy to try and build the used EV pool.

Journeyman
    What do you consider a short journey? Many new EVs have an official range of >300 miles, likely still 200+ in the real world. The Polestar 3 I have on order has an official range of nearly 400 miles or at least 250+ real world. The kids will want me to stop for food or a pee (and charge) long before the car runs out of juice.

And how much is that costing? - Its the price of EVs that dont work for alot of people - then the cost of charging if not at home....

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    The USA introduced a national maximum speed limit of 55mph in 1974 (oft called the 'double-nickel') in an attempt to reduce consumption after the 1973 oil crisis. It was hoped to reduce overall consumption by 2.2%, but it didn't. The law wasn't fully repealed until 1995.

Various types of vehicles are restricted (both by law & technology) to 56mph in the UK. I also seem to remember that in the 1980s (?) the RAC or AA used to preach that 56mph was the optimum speed for swift progress & best fuel consumption.
    I remember the 56 mantra, although I am not sure if it was just the speed used to test mpg, although I would expect gearing etc to make it a self fulfilling prophecy if better numbers sold more cars.

You are not your vehicle whether ICE or EV.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmod View Post
    And how much is that costing? - Its the price of EVs that dont work for alot of people - then the cost of charging if not at home....
    80 K list or 400 pcm if on salary sacrifice scheme...it's all about the money and perceptions.

My neighbour has a brand new Model 3 to replace his 3 or 4 yo one, a 72 plate i4 M50 and an electric Mini. Fortunately he doesn't rely on public charging.

I'll check the prices later when I take the dog for a walk; as far as I know there is no special tariff for residents.