TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 55 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5455354555657 LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 2840

Thread: Things you'll never understand

This…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    This…

Tbf, that's mild for SE Asia. I saw six people on a step through honda in Siem Reap some years ago.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Tbf, that's mild for SE Asia. I saw six people on a step through honda in Siem Reap some years ago.

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk
    I see that most days.

This one boils my p*ss though. There’s a fricking helmet hanging from her handlebars.
    She was nearly cleared up when squeezing in between two cars to cross the road.

不见棺材不落泪!
    Last edited by Jon Kenney; 17th October 2023 at 09:59.

Has diligently kept her mask on. Kudos.

Do sometimes see a parent or 2 collect their child from school here, with the nipper riding up front no helmet like this, I assume/ imagine they must live literally just around the corner though., POLICE would I think intervene otherwise.
    Last edited by Passenger; 17th October 2023 at 10:09.

I have family in India and this happens all the time. A whole family on a moped/bike. I remember seeing a lady sitting side on and her shawl was swaying back and forth by the rear wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have family in India and this happens all the time. A whole family on a moped/bike. I remember seeing a lady sitting side on and her shawl was swaying back and forth by the rear wheel.
    Indeed saw it in Goa.

Like this one....

Then again, there's always the roof....

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

^ Coaches and trains are even worse for top floor passengers. Coaches tend to slow down, rather than actually stop to let passengers get off.

^ Even more surprising given the lady seems to work in medicine. I hope she's since bought a child helmet and some green sliders.

On roof travel, it would make sense to me to build these vehicles with roof bars or handles to hold onto (would surely reduce incidents).

Master
    On the motorway today a child in the front seat, maybe 10 years old, bouncing a normal size football off the dash and catching it and repeat. If that had misbounced and gone the drivers direction i hate to imagine the accident that would have resulted.

Master
    Why some people insist on pressing (often repeatedly) the door release buttons on trains before they light up. It isn't going to make them open any quicker. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Why some people insist on pressing (often repeatedly) the door release buttons on trains before they light up. It isn't going to make them open any quicker. Very strange.
    They have a similar tactic that expedites elevator arrival.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    They have a similar tactic that expedites elevator arrival.
    It must work because the lift or doors open!

Master
    80k car. Phone glued to ear driving through our village. Across a level crossing too. Repeat all day with different culprits. Sigh.

I do understand it. No plod ever!

Master
    Driving again. People with a dog sat on their lap or a v.large handbag whilt driving as I saw the other day.

Master
    A parent wearing over ear headphones pushing a toddler in a buggy.

And parent pushing buggy (containing child) across a light controlled junction while engrossed with something on their smart phone.

Because everything is someone else’s fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    80k car. Phone glued to ear driving through our village. Across a level crossing too. Repeat all day with different culprits. Sigh.

I do understand it. No plod ever!
    80,000 dollar car and you ain’t got no Bluetooth?

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    I do this. I know it is futile but it passes the time or gives the kids a laugh.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    80,000 dollar car and you ain’t got no Bluetooth?
    Err, that’s the point. Of course they do. Entitled morons. Rules don’t apply to them.

Jeremy Vine asking stupid questions.

Is he doing it for entertainment, is he playing devils advocate or is he really as thick as two short planks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Jeremy Vine asking stupid questions.

Is he doing it for entertainment, is he playing devils advocate or is he really as thick as two short planks?
    He's swimming above his paygrade.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Card readers.

How the heck do they work ?

I log into my account on the PC.
    I put my card in the card reader to authenticate
    I pop in my pin on the card reader
    The code number that pops up I then put in the box on my PC

There is no physical or wifi/bt connection.

HOW !!? How does the PC know what the card reader is doing and its the correct number?
    Last edited by gasgasbones; 4th November 2023 at 09:02.

^^^

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Quote Originally Posted by gasgasbones View Post
    Card readers.

How the heck do they work ?

I log into my account on the PC.
    I put my card in the card reader to authenticate
    I pop in my pin on the card reader
    The code number that pops up I then put in the box on my PC

There is no physical or wifi/bt connection.

HOW !!? How does the PC know what the card reader is doing and its the correct number?
    To grossly simplify the card reader generate a number based on a sum based on range of factors including the time and some other information programmed into it based on your card details.

The bank knows what sum it should come up with at any time of time because it programmed it. You do not know and nobody else knows so you cannot fake the number.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    To grossly simplify the card reader generate a number based on a sum based on range of factors including the time and some other information programmed into it based on your card details.

The bank knows what sum it should come up with at any time of time because it programmed it. You do not know and nobody else knows so you cannot fake the number.
    I thought as much previously but I don’t understand how any card reader seems to work with any bank. Maybe there’s one type for visa and another for Mastercard?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post

Little known fact, you can use any bank's reader (or most) for any other...for example, I have Nationwide and Barclays, and can use either one with the other card for their login.

So I would suggest - the bank didn't programme it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Little known fact, you can use any bank's reader (or most) for any other...for example, I have Nationwide and Barclays, and can use either one with the other card for their login.

So I would suggest - the bank didn't programme it.
    Thought most knew that.

Master
    How an insurance company quote me over a grand to insure my new car for a year but only charge me £17 to amend my current policy with the same car.

Oh yes, sorry I can understand it. Greed. How silly of me to forget.
    Last edited by Wimm; 6th November 2023 at 11:56.

Just had a renewal quote for one of my cars, which has gone up by 30%. Why? I claimed on my insurance for repair of a chip on the windscreen. Yes, I got it repaired, as advised, before the crack spread and I needed a whole new windscreen (£475 odd). Cost to me £25 excess. Cost to insurance company £100. So they've increased my insurance by £200. Kerching! Oh, and apparently my no claims protection doesn't count.
    Hmm...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Just had a renewal quote for one of my cars, which has gone up by 30%. Why? I claimed on my insurance for repair of a chip on the windscreen. Yes, I got it repaired, as advised, before the crack spread and I needed a whole new windscreen (£475 odd). Cost to me £25 excess. Cost to insurance company £100. So they've increased my insurance by £200. Kerching! Oh, and apparently my no claims protection doesn't count.
    Hmm...
    Happy ranting but that’s not why it went up. See elsewhere.

No claims protection is not worth a damn, complete waste of money IMHO.

Sure you keep your NCB but only with the same insurance company but there is nothing stopping that same company doubling (or worse) your renewal premium.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    No claims protection is not worth a damn, complete waste of money IMHO.

Sure you keep your NCB but only with the same insurance company but there is nothing stopping that same company doubling (or worse) your renewal premium.
    Why do you say it's only with the same insurance company? I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Why do you say it's only with the same insurance company? I'm pretty sure that's incorrect.
    Because the NCB protection is issued by your current insurance company, but I take your point as I can't back that up with an example.

Wot? The NCD transfers to any company.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    Wot? The NCD transfers to any company.
    Yes it does, my point was that even if you retain full NCD whoever insures you can charge what they like and then apply the NCD to get to a figure they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Yes it does, my point was that even if you retain full NCD whoever insures you can charge what they like and then apply the NCD to get to a figure they want.
    That's true. Never see a figure for insurance before the discount is applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Happy ranting but that’s not why it went up. See elsewhere.
    That is the explanation given in my renewal e-mail. I know that premiums have increased for other reasons, but I didn't make this up.
    PM me your email if you don't believe me and I'll forward it to you.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    That is the explanation given in my renewal e-mail. I know that premiums have increased for other reasons, but I didn't make this up.
    PM me your email if you don't believe me and I'll forward it to you.
    Well, no need. It’s blatant and admitted cost recovery then. Your rant wasn’t strong enough by half. I hope you’ve ditched them and moved elsewhere?

Master
    Why a piece of jewellery is sold a X price but the valuation paperwork it comes with states that value as double, triple or even more!

Surely if the piece was lost/stolen the insurance company would give you X as that is what it costs to replace or buy from a jewellers rather than the inflated paper valuation.

What am i missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post
    Why a piece of jewellery is sold a X price but the valuation paperwork it comes with states that value as double, triple or even more!

Surely if the piece was lost/stolen the insurance company would give you X as that is what it costs to replace or buy from a jewellers rather than the inflated paper valuation.

What am i missing?
    The valuation declared on the policy and the insurance co's loss adjuster's 'averaging' as per the policy wording 'average' clause. 'Average' might take into account all other jewellery possessed by the insured but not declared on the policy. If not declared at inception, the jewellery is under-insured and any claim could be 'averaged' downwards. 'Average' is a fundamental insurance principle and is documented in the policy wording.

https://butlerevans.co.uk/what-is-av...urance-policy/
    Last edited by sundial; 8th November 2023 at 11:08.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    The valuation declared on the policy and the insurance co's loss adjuster's 'averaging' as per the policy wording 'average' clause. 'Average' might take into account all other jewellery possessed by the insured but not declared on the policy. If not declared at inception, the jewellery is under-insured and any claim could be 'averaged' downwards. 'Average' is a fundamental insurance principle and is documented in the policy wording.

https://butlerevans.co.uk/what-is-av...urance-policy/
    If I buy a gold ring for £1,000, and the paperwork/valuation states its value is £2,500. What has that to do with averaging?

Always assumed it's a ruse by jewellers to get mugs to part with their cash.

How do people drive in the dark and not realise their lights are not switched on?

Surely their instrumentation would all be unlit?

Quote Originally Posted by Estoril-5 View Post

What am i missing?
    It's only to give buyers a good feeling and they will tell everybody what's on the certificate and not what they paid.

Fact of the matter is that even X is a ripoff and when they want to sell it, the best offer will be half of X.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    How do people drive in the dark and not realise their lights are not switched on?

Some cars like VAG ones are illuminated all the time, so if driving along a little road, they might not notice of their lights were not on. Daft idea I think.

Bulb may be broken or fading so not working properly.

Worse is why (and it seems to be more common these days) Drivers have their lights on so bright it is hard even to walk along the pavement without being dazzled by headlights from cars.

Was driving last week and the motorway was lit up so bright you could have landed an aircraft on it. Is this how modern cars are made now?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Worse is why (and it seems to be more common these days) Drivers have their lights on so bright it is hard even to walk along the pavement without being dazzled by headlights from cars.

Was driving last week and the motorway was lit up so bright you could have landed an aircraft on it. Is this how modern cars are made now?
    This is something that irritates me.
    The light is very white and it's blinding. It could also be dangerous to cyclists/pedestrians because to the driver is just blinded momentarily.
    You think they are on full beam too.
    Not in the interests of road safety.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Bulb may be broken or fading so not working properly.

Idiots with only one headlamp working - on full beam to compensate, encountered a few of those last night...
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Idiots with only one headlamp working - on full beam to compensate, encountered a few of those last night...
    Did they also only have 2 wheels and you could see the drivers legs and his (or her, they, them etc) head had a helmet on?.....I'm beginning to see what might be happening here.