closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deterring cats from crapping...

Master
    Seems a couple of local cats have decided that the big cat hating terrier no longer prowls our garden they’ve taken to crapping in it, a mate suggested moth balls from B&Q* work well on his lawns so I tried some, so far so good, they come in small white bags approx 25mm square so are quite unobtrusive mixed in with the flowers.
    Found in the vermin detergent aisle, strong cold black coffee in a soaker worked well too, obviously tea drinkers.

We had a problem with cat poo in the back garden. I couldn't work out which of the local cats was doing it and never actually saw a cat. All stopped though, and quite suddenly....

... when I caught the old lady next door ladling her cat's poo over the wall!!

Craftsman

Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    ... that worked for me.

I put Guinness in it once and I think that finally did it :)
    What a waste of Guinness!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I knew a guy who was less then best pleased when someone wronged him (let's say he killed his cat, or made it 'disappear')
    I made sure the guy that killed mine lost his job, unlucky for him his house came with it. Well he shouldn’t have done it. Got the police involved, it’s classed as criminal damage and when the was getting the shit kicked out of him by some pikeys, oh such a shame sprung to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    I made sure the guy that killed mine lost his job, unlucky for him his house came with it. Well he shouldn’t have done it. Got the police involved, it’s classed as criminal damage and when the was getting the shit kicked out of him by some pikeys, oh such a shame sprung to mind.

Why was he getting the shit kicked out of him by Pikeys?

Master
    My year-old car gets such a mass of bird shit when parked under a nearby tree, enough to damage paintwork. Is this somehow ‘wrong’?
    All animals are just that,,,.animals, they know nothing about how we think, and they have no reason to care, cats dogs, foxes. Birds. Slugs. Ants, whatever. Live and let live, don’t be cruel. We are all on the same planet.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    My year-old car gets such a mass of bird shit when parked under a nearby tree, enough to damage paintwork. Is this somehow ‘wrong’?
    All animals are just that,,,.animals, they know nothing about how we think, and they have no reason to care, cats dogs, foxes. Birds. Slugs. Ants, whatever. Live and let live, don’t be cruel. We are all on the same planet.
    Most of those animals are wild. Difference is cats and dogs are only here because of us. Sure we shouldn't be cruel but owners should be responsible for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Seems a couple of local cats have decided that the big cat hating terrier no longer prowls our garden they’ve taken to crapping in it, a mate suggested moth balls from B&Q* work well on his lawns so I tried some, so far so good, they come in small white bags approx 25mm square so are quite unobtrusive mixed in with the flowers.
    Found in the vermin detergent aisle, strong cold black coffee in a soaker worked well too, obviously tea drinkers.
    Or cat food?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Why was he getting the shit kicked out of him by Pikeys?
    He tried to be smart and was giving lots of abuse to 2 girls walking along a footpath one summer evening with there dog, didn’t see there boyfriends though who were about 30 yards behind round the corner talking to me about a horse . Some gamekeepers can be to smart arses for there own good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Sorry I don’t buy the excuse that cat owners don’t know your animal is out doing it’s business on other property, of course you do, you just don’t give a toss. It’s someone else’s problem

As I have said I don’t condone animal cruelty in anyway, but it’s interesting that one person said (in jest) what they would do to solve the issue, yet lots cat owners have jumped on the band waggon threatening anyone that touches their animal. With regard to knocking on someone’s door what would you do? Give them a piece of your mind or worse?

Barking dogs are just as anti social and annoying, they should be controlled it’s another responsibility of owning a pet.

With regard to the vermin issue, again that is an argument I don’t buy, most pet cats are so well fed they have no real interesting in hunting, they may do it every now and again but they are not out every night killing and eating rats are they? You would see the result if they were, the bells also help rats avoid them or are only birds scared of bells?.
    My two are kept lean abd still hunt

Get the chip off your cat free shoulder buddy

You’re missing a trick a d making waaaaaaaay too many assumptions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post

Take of those cat blinkers and see that they do cause issues.
    No chip on my shoulder, I have asked simple questions that the cat lovers have not been able to answer.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 3rd June 2021 at 21:11.

I bet your local songbird population appreciates that.

Any neighbours with ornamental doves?

Any rare newts or sand lizards in your area?

🙄

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mine brought me a sloworm as a present yesterday, had to bribe her with dreamies to get it off her.

I used to get slow worms in my garden till I found a dead one with bite marks on it and realised one of the neighbours cats was doing it. Thankfully the cat is no longer with us, and some of the wildlife has come back, sadly not the legless lizard.

Cats are responsible for decimating wildlife, much more so than dogs. Owners who don't accept that, and don't take measures to mitigate that are irresponsible uneducated idiots.

Sent from my XQ-AU51 using Tapatalk

Well of course, keeping them lean/hungry won't help, why encourage them?

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I used to get slow worms in my garden till I found a dead one with bite marks on it and realised one of the neighbours cats was doing it. Thankfully the cat is no longer with us, and some of the wildlife has come back, sadly not the legless lizard.

Cats are responsible for decimating wildlife, much more so than dogs. Owners who don't accept that, and don't take measures to mitigate that are irresponsible uneducated idiots.

Seems so.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post

I have hundreds, let me know how many you want.

Master
    Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I’ve had good results with bamboo skewers (sawn in half) around 6-8” apart stuck un the ground- nothing for a few days

Rose Prunings and Bramble cuttings are great. Just make sure brambles are on top of rose cuttings or they can root.

Are you sure it's a cat?

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists View Post
    Defo a cat. Don’t see any foxes, doesn’t smell like it. Could not be a dog.
    Oh, ok.

Do not think it’s the Mrs.
    Right. I'm out of ideas then.

Master
    Defo a cat. Don’t see any foxes, doesn’t smell like it. Could not be a dog. Do not think it’s the Mrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A couple of years ago I was absolutely incensed to observe a big brown/green poo that appeared on the gravel in front of our house. We assumed it was some dirty basterd let his dog drop it's egg and walk off without cleaning up. Having the benefit of cctv we ran the footage and to our shock, nay horror, it showed a wood pigeon evacuating it's bowel. We could not believe it as it was a sizeable turd. Must have hurt.

Defo a cat. Don’t see any foxes, doesn’t smell like it. Could not be a dog. Do not think it’s the Mrs.

A well-fed hedgehog?

Plenty of people leave cat-food out for hedgehogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    A friend of mine has a sprinkler with a motion detector specifically designed to deter Cats, if said pussy sets foot on the drive/garden it activates and the Cat gets sprayed with water, thus deterring it from coming onto your property, however it normally seems to be my friend that gets soaked as he invariably forgets to turn it off before entering the soak zone.

I think he got in on Amazon if you're interested, I'd pick up some water proofs too while you're at it.
    I have one of these scarecrows for sale if you pm me. I used it to great effect. If their using your flower beds/pots bamboo canes are a good deterrent. However they are a bit unsightly. We tried all the different citrus/curry powder concoctions, we find tea leaves work the best. Good luck with it, as others have said a dog is the very best deterrent.

I'm just about to put some gravel behind some railings.

If I use slate chips is it less of an invitation to cats or is all gravel equally attractive to them?

I have an Aeropress and the used coffee grounds work quite well. Similar to tea leaves mentioned above.

Apparently whole cucumbers scare cats also.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    Apparently whole cucumbers scare cats also.
    Type "cat cucumber" into youtube search. Some hilarious results.

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Master
    Ours always comes home and craps in his litter tray. Our other cat is disabled, so we don't let him out at all.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    I'm just about to put some gravel behind some railings.

If I use slate chips is it less of an invitation to cats or is all gravel equally attractive to them?
    I would use a fairly light weight gravel because they need to be able to dig a hole to do their business in.

So a thin layer of gravel would be better?

OK thanks.

Master
    Not really, they like a bit of depth to dig into. Smaller particles would be more appealing for them to dig into.

Riiiight.

Understood, thanks.

Master
    A well-fed hedgehog?

Plenty of people leave cat-food out for hedgehogs.
    We have hedgehogs visit nightly for food, not cat food left out for them though, they just crap on the grass, easily cleaned up, cats like the nicely turned over garden to crap in, no cats stay in the near vicinity, it’s maybe the ginger bugger that sets off the neighbours security light as he enters the street via her rear garden.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    A couple of years ago I was absolutely incensed to observe a big brown/green poo that appeared on the gravel in front of our house. We assumed it was some dirty basterd let his dog drop it's egg and walk off without cleaning up. Having the benefit of cctv we ran the footage and to our shock, nay horror, it showed a wood pigeon evacuating it's bowel. We could not believe it as it was a sizeable turd. Must have hurt.
    I have the same problem with wood pigeons, surprising how big the turds are. Far too many pigeons in our area.

Bought some plum slate gravel.

Lovely stuff.

Washed it and laid it.

Looked perfect.

Next morning, a present had been left.

*unamused*

The reason I don't have a pet at the moment is I would like a few years without having to pick up you-know-what.

I'm going to put some netting over a couple of sections.

If that doesn't work, I may consider WFH in a lion suit.

Master
    These have worked well for me with cats actually changing direction when they activate:-
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/PestBye-Ult...0500212&sr=8-5
    It took a week or so but no problems since.

Got the exact same sensors and they are fine… till cats get used to them then poop everywhere again…

^I was wondering about those.

Someone has them a few roads away and I can hear them when I run past his house.

Do I have spidey senses?

Quote Originally Posted by derek_faker View Post
    I would use a fairly light weight gravel because they need to be able to dig a hole to do their business in.
    Not so - I have 20-30mm flint and they just shit on top of it.

I have found that a product designed for horses (to deter flies) called Naff Off, works a treat.
    It is citronella-based, and I just spray it about with a plant mister type thing. They stop dropping pressies immediately, but you need to refresh it every few days.
    Managed a month or more clear. Ran out a few weeks ago and pooping started again about 10days ago

Just ordered some of that Nafoff stuff - thanks for the suggestion.

I've recently laid a beautiful new lawn which is constantly being sh4t on by a delightful furry friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Just ordered some of that Nafoff stuff - thanks for the suggestion.

I've recently laid a beautiful new lawn which is constantly being sh4t on by a delightful furry friend.
    You don't often (that I have heard of) get cats crapping on grass- they normally search out some soft earth/sand etc.

Is it possible that it is hedgehog crap? That stuff might work equally-well with hedgehogs, of course.

You don't often (that I have heard of) get cats crapping on grass- they normally search out some soft earth/sand etc.

Is it possible that it is hedgehog crap? That stuff might work equally-well with hedgehogs, of course.
    Interesting... I don't know how big a hedgehog's arse is but I'd be surprised if it were capable of producing something this girthy

I guess it could be foxes, however the only thing my driveway camera has ever spotted in the early hours is cats creeping about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    Interesting... I don't know how big a hedgehog's arse is but I'd be surprised if it were capable of producing something this girthy

I guess it could be foxes, however the only thing my driveway camera has ever spotted in the early hours is cats creeping about.
    I thought my enclosed rear garden grass was getting fouled by a small cat up the road, until I spotted a big fat hedgehog on a camera at night. It had got into the garden when the gate was left open overnight, and spent around a week there, until I left the gate open to let it back out again.

I tell you what - that hedgehog didn't appear hungry, by what it left !

We recently had a problem at night with a cat or a fox, I put a water cannon in problem solved.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defenders-J...CONTROL_DEVICE

Catapult and acorns.... I think this is how the slingshot got nicknamed a 'catapult'. No harm done, no worse than something thrown at it. They soon get the message, especially if your aim improves!