closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been shocked to find that the PO invesitigators recieved 40% of any money they recovered.

That puts a whole new spin on things.

Is anyone able to fact check that?

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I have been shocked to find that the PO invesitigators recieved 40% of any money they recovered.

That puts a whole new spin on things.

Is anyone able to fact check that?
    Link...Team bonuses were paid if they 'recovered' (extorted?) 40% of the 'stolen' / 'missing' (fictional loss of) money.

Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

The mendacity of human beings is breathtaking.

Mr I Do Not Recall, the manager responsible for reviewing Fujitsu’s expert witness statements used in prosecutions, not being able to recall ever having reviewed a witness statement.

The inquiry’s lawyer’s coup de grace was piercing. Mr I Do Not Recall will be wetting his bed tonight.

The gist:

Fujitsu had templates for witness statements used in prosecutions
    The staff filled in the blanks: dates and counts of flaws reported
    The statements included false statements which they doubted the integrity of, that the computer was working and any flaws reported did not effect the system’s data

He can’t remember though.

That’s perjury?

Fujitsu should give each of the 900 a minimum of £100,000 tomorrow, no questions, no conditions, no links to any other compensation schemes or future actions, just to provide some immediate succour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 18th January 2024 at 18:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Link...Team bonuses were paid if they 'recovered' (extorted?) 40% of the 'stolen' / 'missing' (fictional loss of) money.
    Thanks,it just gets worse.

That of course had no influence on them when they investigated,said nobody.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    The mendacity of human beings is breathtaking.

Mr I Do Not Recall, the manager responsible for reviewing Fujitsu’s expert witness statements used in prosecutions, not being able to recall ever having reviewed a witness statement.

The inquiry’s lawyer’s coup de grace was piercing. Mr I Do Not Recall will be wetting his bed tonight.

The gist:

Fujitsu had templates for witness statements used in prosecutions
    The staff filled in the blanks: dates and counts of flaws reported
    The statements included false statements which they doubted the integrity of, that the computer was working and any flaws reported did not effect the system’s data

He can’t remember though.

That’s perjury?

Fujitsu should give each of the 900 a minimum of £100,000 tomorrow, no questions, no conditions, no links to any other compensation schemes or future actions, just to provide some immediate succour.

Shocking isn’t it. Cowardly personal defence mechanism.

Craftsman
    Watched the first two episodes of the ITV dramatisation last night with the wife. Despite having listened to Nick Read podcast series and read up on the case a few years ago, I was still left in a blind rage at the depiction of these poor people. Seeing the programme I can now understand why after all these years there is suddenly a push to get answers, to establish accountability, and to exact punishment.

I know it's a cliché but I genuinely can't fathom how some of these people at the Post Office and Fujitsu slept at night knowing what they were doing.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

The final item, showing the PO's moral compass spinning like a catherine wheel.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If you have the time, patience and can contain your anger, Peter Sewell's (ex-Fujitsu) testimony yesterday at the inquiry is astonishing.

The inquiry's and victims’ lawyers were consummate professionals, but I believe they made their contempt clear at the end.

It was newsworthy. Surprised it didn't feature.
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 19th January 2024 at 11:20.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Condemned by their own words.

I love the calm,persistent demeanour of the lawyers.

I kept expecting him to go "good game,good game Anthea"

If you have the time, patience and can contain your anger, Peter Sewell's (ex-Fujitsu) testimony yesterday at the inquiry is astonishing.

The inquiry's and victims’ lawyers were consummate professionals, but I believe they made their contempt clear at the end.

It was newsworthy. Surprised it didn't feature.
    BBC link...www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-67941754...and click on the videos.

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I’m not sure which bit of today’s crap show you refer to. Unqualified investigators, corporate amnesia, ridiculous performance targets, blind eyes to other lines of enquiry, and so on.

The whole thing predicated on the sudden knowledge the system gave them that 100s were corrupt despite years of manual accounting and checks/balances showing otherwise previously.

I’m glad the media aren’t dropping it too quickly. Heads deserve to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    I’m not sure which bit of today’s crap show you refer to. Unqualified investigators, corporate amnesia, ridiculous performance targets, blind eyes to other lines of enquiry, and so on.

The whole thing predicated on the sudden knowledge the system gave them that 100s were corrupt despite years of manual accounting and checks/balances showing otherwise previously.

I’m glad the media aren’t dropping it too quickly. Heads deserve to roll.
    I was referring to this gem.........

Daily included wifes' educational achievements in investigator application

Mr Daily “erroneously” submitted a CV including his wife’s educational achievements when applying to become a Post Office investigator in 2008, following a restructuring of the security team.
    When asked if he realised this was the case at the time, he said the false information being included had only come to light as he prepared his second statement for the inquiry.

I also found this bit interesting:

“Did you feel under pressure to refer these cases to the Procurator Fiscal given the apparent backlog and the fact you were the only investigator in Scotland?”, Ms Price asked.
    I wonder if he was one of the investigators telling a sub-postmaster that they were the only one,even saying this under oath.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I also found this bit interesting:

I wonder if he was one of the investigators telling a sub-postmaster that they were the only one,even saying this under oath.
    Undoubtably so! Lends a whole new meaning to the expression ‘Utter arseholes’!

Mr Daily “erroneously” submitted a CV including his wife’s educational achievements when applying to become a Post Office investigator in 2008, following a restructuring of the security team.
    When asked if he realised this was the case at the time, he said the false information being included had only come to light as he prepared his second statement for the inquiry.

Really?

How does that possibly happen?

A. It doesn't.
    So clever my foot fell off.

Lovely - a prosecution service staffed by people with integrity issues and 5 weeks training. What could possibly go wrong...

It is just one dumbfounding revelation after another:

Fujitsu used prosecutions of sub-postmasters as a ‘cash cow’

The Horizon scandal inquiry last week heard Fujitsu used prosecutions as a “cash cow”, with the company earning up to £20,000 a case for providing evidence to prosecute sub-postmasters.
    It was heard that transaction data was not reviewed before it was used in civil and legal matters.
    So clever my foot fell off.

BBC link...Project Sparrow.

FFS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all the evidence coming out long before any criminal prosecution of any Fujitsu and Post Office bosses..................

Vennells at least - will conjour up some ailment that requires her to move to warmer climes away from extradition. Some excuse that she thinks will allow her to hold her head up.

Yesterday’s session was interesting, though much of the time the former Procurator Fiscal couldn’t “remember”. But it was evident that thr process wasn’t as thorough as it should have been, relying mainly on a confession without seeking all the evidence.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Yesterday’s session was interesting, though much of the time the former Procurator Fiscal couldn’t “remember”. But it was evident that thr process wasn’t as thorough as it should have been, relying mainly on a confession without seeking all the evidence.
    I’ve watched the testimonies of Fujitsu security, Post Office investigators and yesterday’s Scottish prosecutor in their entirety. I think the inquiry’s lawyers are doing a good job in exposing the inadequacies of intellect, personality, training, qualifications, objectivity, analysis, process, checkpoints and oversight throughout the whole train of events from identification of a problem to prosecution.

One of the criticisms of the prosecutions in England is that they were private and not subject to any scrutiny of the evidence by a public prosecutor independent of the investigator. Well yesterday we saw the Scottish public prosecution process and PF exposed for what they are.

I’ve watched the testimonies of Fujitsu security, Post Office investigators and yesterday’s Scottish prosecutor in their entirety. I think the inquiry’s lawyers are doing a good job in exposing the inadequacies of intellect, personality, training, qualifications, objectivity, analysis, process, checkpoints and oversight throughout the whole train of events from identification of a problem to prosecution.

One of the criticisms of the prosecutions in England is that they were private and not subject to any scrutiny of the evidence by a public prosecutor independent of the investigator. Well yesterday we saw the Scottish public prosecution process and PF exposed for what they are.
    Yesterday was eye watering. To actually admit under oath that without a coerced admission of wrongdoing the case would have had no basis due to insufficient physical evidence/audit.

Yesterday was eye watering. To actually admit under oath that without a coerced admission of wrongdoing the case would have had no basis due to insufficient physical evidence/audit.
    I think his claim was that the investigator's summary report stated that £40,000 was missing and this was sufficient collaboration without, as you state, any evidence whatsoever of it leaving PO accounts or ending up in the accused's pockets or accounts.

The decision to prosecute appeared to be a nod based on the investigator's flawed summary report, the FP unequivocally accepting the veracity of the report. No evidence accompanying the report, nor analysis of the report or evidence to determine if all appropriate lines of enquiry had been followed up, no clarification or questions about the investigator's report, no evaluation of the case notes or evidence to record the reasoning behind the decision to prosecute in terms of recording that the prosecution criteria had been met and the strength of the evidence against each criterion, no review or oversight of his decision, no sharing of experience or best practice amongst PFs.

He gave the impression of simple person sitting all alone in his island office, rubber stamping cursory reports.

He and none of the security personnel or investigators show any acceptance of responsibility, guilt or sorrow whilst their stupidity and malice is laid bare for everybody to see.

I just can't watch anymore.

Interesting that the chair of Project Sparrow was a name I don't believe I've noticed before - Alice Perkins (aka Mrs Jack Straw).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Perkins

Any bets on how long it will take before the New Labour dead cat to be thrown in the ring (again)? I should add that I think that Tim Parker's name should be in the headlines every bit as much as the wretched Rev Vennell.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Interesting that the chair of Project Sparrow was a name I don't believe I've noticed before - Alice Perkins (aka Mrs Jack Straw).
    Not just chair of this project, she was Chairperson of the whole Post Office.

Also parents of Will Straw CBE, Chief Executive of Britain Stronger in Europe.

What a disastrous legacy for one family.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Too cosy?

Unearthed by Private Eye.

Hollinrake is now the minister responsible for the PO. Blagden a major party donor and appointed by Dorries to be chair of Building Digital UK. Frazer a minister. Jenkyns a whacko MP.

Too cosy?

Hollinrake is now the minister responsible for the PO. Blagden a major party donor and appointed by Dorries to be chair of Building Digital UK. Frazer a minister. Jenkyns a whacko MP.

Cosy, crony so, so similar.

Too cosy?

Is that Darth Vader 2nd from left - back row.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    Hopefully it's the grim reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Come on, they (don't fear the reaper).....

BOC, 1976

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I think that you are just trying to get my hopes up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Templogin View Post
    It is probably that K West arsehole!

Some good spot-the-watch opportunity here. Well, one at least.....

These people ooze slime.

Ex-Fujitsu boss 'shocked' by Post Office's actions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68253136

Fujitsu boss during period of rampant prosecuting by the PO: I know nothing

Oh dear! A scandal that has recently gripped the nation, takes a turn for the worse for the tories.....................

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sation-payouts

Former Post Office chair says he was told to stall Horizon compensation payouts

Henry Staunton claims request was made so government could ‘limp into’ the next general election

Master
    Blog Entries
    Mr. Singh,absolutely unbelivable.

Be careful your blood pressure may rise.

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Mr. Singh,absolutely unbelivable.

Be careful your blood pressure may rise.
    I have watched Jarnail Singh’s two days of testimony at the PO inquiry.

Jarnail Singh must represent the low point for the PO.

Watch no other, but watch Jarnail Singh to understand the depths of absurdity, stupidity and dishonesty at the PO.

A senior criminal lawyer at the PO, whose experience and sideline appeared to be conveyancing. How is it possible that someone so thick can qualify as a lawyer and then get a job?

Tragic, but his testimony was also comedy from the start when the inquiry lawyer picked apart the misrepresentations on his CV.

Case against the PO could have closed as he uttered his last word.

I can’t conceive of the scale of contempt for him and fury of the victims.

Last edited by BillyCasper; 18th February 2024 at 11:23.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Oh dear! A scandal that has recently gripped the nation, takes a turn for the worse for the tories.....................

Henry Staunton claims request was made so government could ‘limp into’ the next general election
    Beautifully illustrates their venality, immorality and contempt for truth, decency and decent people....that's the Government that is...why are proud, indomitable Brits who believe in fair play, justice not stringing these scum up from lampposts, it's the only action that'll make them change their ways...

Or, if you prefer to read a summary...see this link. At its conclusion it says:

One correspondent wrote:

“Mr Singh is clearly as mad as a three-cornered bat. The fact that he has held a senior position at the Post Office for most of his working life tells us something. If we didn’t know it already.”

Another said “Jaw dropping. Hard to tell where the stupidity ends and the malice begins.”

If you have ten hours to waste, I do suggest watching the two days Singh spent on the stand. And please do leave a comment below. I’d be interested to know how you reacted.

But, for an example of Mr Singh's testimony and its lack of content, I'd suggest listening to the YouTube video linked in bwest76's post above from 40m 30s to 43m or longer.
    Last edited by PickleB; 18th February 2024 at 13:20.

Or, if you prefer to read a summary...see this link. At its conclusion it says:

One correspondent wrote:

“Mr Singh is clearly as mad as a three-cornered bat. The fact that he has held a senior position at the Post Office for most of his working life tells us something. If we didn’t know it already.”

Another said “Jaw dropping. Hard to tell where the stupidity ends and the malice begins.”

If you have ten hours to waste, I do suggest watching the two days Singh spent on the stand. And please do leave a comment below. I’d be interested to know how you reacted.
    Flippin heck that Singh fella's barking incoherent, poor/ faulty memory and for a senior guy appears to have taken an awful lot of dictation from others as his own words.

The more you see and read it just seems impossible that many of the PO staff and government employees are not in court being sentenced to prison time and facing financial ruin.

Considering what the "celebrities" received for having there phones hacked IMO the wronged Postmasters should receive £1,000,000 immediately for starters.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    The more you see and read it just seems impossible that many of the PO staff and government employees are not in court being sentenced to prison time and facing financial ruin.

Considering what the "celebrities" received for having there phones hacked IMO the wronged Postmasters should receive £1,000,000 immediately for starters.
    With you on what's the appropriate kind of compo level... basically the machinery of the law/state was used to persecute and ruin them it turns out entirely wrongly, with full knowledge of many senior actors within PO-Govt-Fujitsu and in a malevolent fashion...strewth If it had happened to me our mine I'd be going to war, it's unconscionable, what they did and the cover ups/ time wasting indulged in the hope the wronged would give up- die off. It's beyond the pale, corrupt certainly...tyrannical?
    Last edited by Passenger; 18th February 2024 at 13:40.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I can't help thinking that a government minister would have sought the positive publicity of more prompt and 'decent' compensation payments, interim or otherwise, and that if anyone wanted the process slowed it would have been an anti-Tory senior civil servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I can't help thinking that a government minister would have sought the positive publicity of more prompt and 'decent' compensation payments, interim or otherwise, and that if anyone wanted the process slowed it would have been an anti-Tory senior civil servant.
    Perhaps not if they were a Treasury Minister? And civil servants are there to follow the direction of their ministers. They may draft and propose policy but it is the government that directs what happens and bears the responsibility.

....And civil servants are there to follow the direction of their ministers. They may draft and propose policy but it is the government that directs what happens and bears the responsibility.
    That's how it's supposed to work