closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Look at what I've been playing with

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    In most respects, this looks like a really well-executed watch but I cannot restrain myself from expressing my bemusement at the use of faux-vintage lume. I imagine that its use would put off more people than it would sway into a purchase. The original white lume, for me, looked much more appealing, to the extent that I might have been tempted to throw my hat into the ring. All just my opinion of course, which i know counts for nothing and in any case, I am sure that Eddie will sell every single one of these without any difficulty.

Martin
    Reading between the lines the initial run is 300 with half already sold, I can't see the rest taking long to shift.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

A couple of quick photo's

This watch really is a triumph judging by everybody's pics - especially loving it on leather for the contrast, and the light-vintage lume perfects the look and feel IMO.

I need to stop looking at this subforum... Too much temptation.

"One needs to stop seeing faux vintage lume and start seeing colour."

I think JLC said that.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by Taiken View Post

It looks so much different and better on the jubilee.

Mr Platts and Co., would it be possible to have the Traveller GMT on jubilee please?
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post

Mr Platts and Co., would it be possible to have the Traveller GMT on jubilee please?
    And a beads of rice should suit the Commander it too, eh Eddie?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC View Post
    ………..but I cannot restrain myself from expressing my bemusement at the use of faux-vintage lume. I imagine that its use would put off more people than it would sway into a purchase………. All just my opinion of course, which i know counts for nothing and in any case, I am sure that Eddie will sell every single one of these without any difficulty.
    That’s the good thing about personal preference - it’s personal.
    I’m sure Eddie’s already compared his sales figures for the various PRS-25 models to know how well gilt, plain and white dials sell to be able to make the right decision.

Personally (see what I mean) I think the gilt/vintage lume looks superb, which is why I’m expecting mine to be delivered within the next hour.

Thanks for the photos of this, looks great!

Journeyman
    Just got mine in California.

On Leather Steveo NATO

I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of a jubilee bracelet on the Traveler. Personally, the jubilee bracelet raises the Expedition substantially more than it does the black dial Everest. I feel it would do something similar for the Traveler.

One way I like to admire the watch I'm currently wearing is by seeing how it looks while driving. When a watch looks too bulky in this angle, I don't enjoy it as much. The Commander hits that sweet spot just fine.

Order 7175 here and still waiting on shipping, anyone else waiting, starting to think there may be a problem with my order???

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Order 7175 here and still waiting on shipping, anyone else waiting, starting to think there may be a problem with my order???
    That's normal. Orders can take a couple of days, up to 28 days, per the store opening email. Si long as you got your confirmation email, you're set.

That's normal. Orders can take a couple of days, up to 28 days, per the store opening email. Si long as you got your confirmation email, you're set.
    That'll do for me then, it'll turn up when its ready...

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    That'll do for me then, it'll turn up when its ready...
    Personally, I don't think it will take the whole 28 days. If it doesn't arrive in the first few days after release, it will probably take 2 weeks (in my personal experience), before the next opening. Again, just my personal experience.

So long as you got your confirmation email, you can breathe easy. You will eventually get it :)

Journeyman
    Very nice indeed

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by YCymro View Post
    which is why I’m expecting mine to be delivered within the next hour.
    Eddie sent mine promptly and UPS promised delivery this afternoon so I took the afternoon off work as a signature is required. Half and hour after the latest promised delivery time I received an update to say the watch would still arrive “before the end of the day”. I’d be very surprised if it arrived now with less than 75 minutes before midnight! I wouldn’t mind but I’m self employed so lose salary when I’m not in work.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Commander on Leather

On Canvas

Just had the order shipped email, roll on tomorrow…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie

If anyone decides that they would like to move their PRS-60 Commander on to a new home, please let me know.

Master
    The more pictures I see of them the more I want one

Sent from my CPH2357 using Tapatalk

Does look good, might have preferred 39 - 40mm but the wrist shots look lovely and the price is incredible.

Will try for this Sunday but unfortunately travelling so might well be a lottery hence my WTB.

Congrats to those who secured one.

Quote Originally Posted by swanksteak View Post
    What a beauty!

That is what is known as a convex carrure. Not a lot of people know that.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Look at what I've been playing with

It’s a thing of beauty, can’t believe the quality for the price tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I see from the pics that the clasp doesn't have a divers extension right?

Eddie: any change to create a retrofit divers extension? A simple folding one would suffice. It's not so much that I "need" it, it's a gadget I like having on a dive watch that "legitimizes" the romance of its functionality.
    Last edited by grizzlymambo; 7th October 2022 at 16:24.

Craftsman
    My one arrived today and first impressions are I'm delighted with it, but I don't have a screwdriver small enough to size the bracelet!
    I've always used the one that used to come with a sea-dweller but it's far too big, I think 1.6mm.
    Can anyone advise what size the screws are please? Or even better, if someone that's already sized the bracelet could recommend what they use?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    My one arrived today and first impressions are I'm delighted with it, but I don't have a screwdriver small enough to size the bracelet!
    I've always used the one that used to come with a sea-dweller but it's far too big, I think 1.6mm.
    Can anyone advise what size the screws are please? Or even better, if someone that's already sized the bracelet could recommend what they use?

Thanks in advance
    In one of the reviews 1mm was mentioned.

Craftsman
    Thanks number2 I'll have a look.

Craftsman
    After a delay, UPS delivered my Commander and I must say it’s a good looking thing which combines the best look from dress, tool and diver watches - an Everest in a Submariner suit

In traditional fashion, on an 18mm Bond NATO

Geckota vintage leather

[

This is the Brodinkee x Strap Habit collaboration RMWP (real men wear pink) canvas strap, where generously the whole watch strap cost of $25 is donated by Strap Habit to the US breast cancer charity. You can buy one click here

Last edited by YCymro; 9th October 2022 at 00:25. Reason: Typos

Craftsman
    These are from Cheap NATO Watchstraps in Sweden https://cnswatchbands.com/. I find them good value from a reliable supplier.

I especially like the beige/grey/black nato

Craftsman
    After all that, I plan to leave it on the bracelet for the time being. Might try a beads of rice next though)

I have to say, after re-sizing the bracelet yesterday and wearing it in anger, I really do think Eddie has developed his best watch yet, it really is a stunning watch, great size, beautiful looks and that dial and bezel just go perfectly together.

I used to think the Tudor BB58 was the perfect watch for me until this arrived, unbelievable looks and quality for a price of Ł365.00, 8 times cheaper than the BB58.

I like the grey, beige, and black NATO 👍🏻 The Tropic looks fantastic as well!!!

These are from Cheap NATO Watchstraps in Sweden https://cnswatchbands.com/. I find them good value from a reliable supplier.

I especially like the beige/grey/black nato

The tropic seems like a good fit.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    The tropic seems like a good fit.
    Yeh, it’s spot on. Unusual too in that it has a curve at the lug end which matches the case radius well. Less than a tenner from CNS Watchstraps.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie
    Smith PRS-60 Commander (lume, bezel action and accuracy so far)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqyb...utsiderWatches
    THIN is the new BLACK

I have noticed a few of the reviewers mentioning the Seiko-esque profile of the PRS-60

Seiko caseback

I blame the caseback of The Commander (and its particular shape) for that. Why does it have to look like this?

This is how the caseback should look. Like a pyramid. Narrow at the top and fading into the case at the bottom edge. The overall height of the watch does not change but the way you perceive the watch on the wrist changes completely.

And if you say that the above is a Rollie... well the Mission Timer has a caseback profile that can thus be used.

And another thing. Who needs 300m? Bring it down to 200m, even 150m in order to reduce the height of that caseback and make it look less like a Seiko.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Back when it was this,

I believe the case thickness (not counting the additional thickness of the crystal) was around 12.1 mm. However, I think Eddie did a great job not making it so chunky, considering more watches are thicker with only 200 meters WR.

I would consider getting another Commander if it was made thinner (12.1 mm case thickness) with the 200 meters as designed above.

Journeyman
    Back when it was this,

I believe the case thickness (not counting the additional thickness of the crystal) was around 12.1 mm. However, I think Eddie did a great job not making it so chunky, considering more watches are thicker with only 200 meters WR.

I would consider getting another Commander if it was made thinner (12.1 mm case thickness) with the 200 meters as designed above.
    I agree that the lugs of the blueprint definitely don't match the finished product. I think the blueprint looks way better.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Shubs View Post
    Just for the purposes of Eddie's market research I'd mention that I bought a Christopher Ward 38mm trident diver a good few years ago that I've just measured as having a 28.5 mm crystal. Even with my slim wrist (and a 38mm three hander as my normal daily wear) I just couldn't get on with it, because it felt too small. Perhaps it was my old eyes, or the ratio between the bezel width and the dial, I don't know, but it's now my wife's holiday watch and it looks much better on her. Unless there was something else about the watch that makes it wear bigger, I wouldn't get a dive style watch (even if it's not used for diving) that is less than 39mm and preferably 40mm or above.
    Snap. If it was the C61 it was also marketed as the W61. Identical watch, but for the ladies.

I felt mine a touch too small so sold it on to a chap at a small profit.

Craftsman

I have noticed a few of the reviewers mentioning the Seiko-esque profile of the PRS-60

I blame the caseback of The Commander (and its particular shape) for that. Why does it have to look like this?

[? Bring it down to 200m, even 150m in order to reduce the height of that caseback and make it look less like a Seiko.
    Yes, I noticed that the case looks like my SKX diver too, and is unlike the original drawings we were shown. That said, I like the Commander’s shape as it is, like the way that it catches and mirrors light and find it very comfortable too as the case radii stop any digging in as I move my wrist around

Craftsman
    Subjected my new Commander to a Timegrapher session earlier today. After being worn for four days without additional winding (resting dial up for 2 nights, crown up for 1, and crown down for 1), the readings show an accuracy within +0 / +7 seconds, with a maximum beat error of 0.2mS, and amplitudes between 262 and 289 degrees in four positions (dial up/down, and crown up/down). Lift angle = 51 degrees as specified by Miyota.

Fully wound then run for 10 minutes before being tested changed the accuracy to +0/+5 seconds, BE Max of 0.4mS, Amp 266-290 degrees.

Measuring accuracy over 4 days of ordinary wearing shows a gain of 7 seconds, so is within +2s/day during normal wearing. This accuracy would be increased by self regulation and resting the watch crown up overnight.

Nice job, Eddie
    Last edited by YCymro; 11th October 2022 at 01:24.

Craftsman
    Yes, I noticed that the case looks like my SKX diver too, and is unlike the original drawings we were shown. That said, I like the Commander’s shape as it is, like the way that it catches and mirrors light and find it very comfortable too as the case radii stop any digging in as I move my wrist around

Coincidently, this popped into my email feed today and helps explain the curved side design of the Commander case - it takes inspiration from the very rare Rolex Turn-O-Graph from the 50s.
    Credit to Hodinkee for the image.

For sale at Hodinkee here

Looks like an easy dial redesign (loving the waffle) and Jubilee bracelet for Eddie to knock out Commander II, The Sequel

Possibly Turn-O-Graf or TurnOGraf aren’t registered names and one therefore may be used. Or perhaps Twn-O-Graf as a pseudo Welsh language connection to reference the Ystradgynlais Smiths Factory.

Come on, Eddie. You know it makes sense
    Last edited by YCymro; 11th October 2022 at 13:38. Reason: Added 2nd image of Jubilee

Come on, Eddie. You know it makes sense
    How about a Smiths 36mm Turn-O-Something?
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rn-O-Something

When Eddie deviates he generally has his reasons. But he is also open to opinions.
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman
    How about a Smiths 36mm Turn-O-Something?
    https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...rn-O-Something
    When Eddie deviates he generally has his reasons. But he is also open to opinions.
    Reading the thread you quote it appears to be the small 36mm case size and the fact that Eddie has looked into using the Turn-O-Graph name and noted that Rolex has continued registration to it which stopped an homage being made closer to the vintage Rolex design.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    Despite not being made for many years, Rolex recently renewed the trademark for Turn-o-Graph.
    Eddie
    Now however, the Commander is some 80% towards a 38mm version of the ToG: the case design and size are excellent, and all that’s needed is a differently printed gilt-finished dial, and having the bezel printed in white (which some above have already stated is their preference for the Commander).

I’ve already suggested minor name changes which are not registered, and could be useful as being sufficiently different to the original name whilst remaining an homage to it, in a similar way to how Timefactor’s designs are homages to original designs.

Neither TurnOGraph, TurnOGraff, or Turn-O-Graff (or Graf) are registered trademarks in the Jewellery and Watches classification of UK IPO, though I’m certainly not an expert on this field, so Rolex might have a suitable claim to stop their use (particularly TurnOGraph) as they’re clearly close to their registered mark, and therefore might not be regarded as distinctive.
    Last edited by YCymro; 11th October 2022 at 20:15.

Blog Entries
    How about "Rotoplot". ;-)

Neither TurnOGraph, TurnOGraff, or Turn-O-Graff (or Graf) are registered trademarks in the Jewellery and Watches classification of UK IPO, though I’m certainly not an expert on this field, so Rolex might have a suitable claim to stop their use (particularly TurnOGraph) as they’re clearly close to their registered mark, and therefore might not be regarded as distinctive.
    I reckon those three would be way too close to Turn-O-Graph.