closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clay pigeon shooting? Anyone on here into it?

Clay pigeon shooting? Anyone on here into it?

I’ve always wanted to try it, quick question if anyone on here is into it how did you start and any pointers on if you were to take it up as a hobby...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    I’ve always wanted to try it, quick question if anyone on here is into it how did you start and any pointers on if you were to take it up as a hobby...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I've done it a few times over the years but only in 2019 applied for my Shotgun Certificate. I'm about to start shooting again this Sunday after a lockdown break.

Do any of your friends have shotguns, you could always go with them to a clay shooting ground and try it? Alternatively google your local shooting school and have a couple of lessons.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Where are you based, if it's anywhere near Sussex , I will happily take you to dust a few clays.

Mike

I’m back sporting clay shooting tomorrow. Can’t wait. Find a local club and go for a lesson, gets the basics covered including the all important safety!
    Then keep going until your happy with how you’re shooting. By which time you will of probably met a few friendly folk.

If you like it apply for your license, most still aren’t processing new applications at the minute but hopefully this will be lifted soon.

That’s it. Oh one last thing, set your wallet to melted mode. It ain’t a cheap sport anymore.

We’ll expect your ‘first gun questions’ soon

Enjoy great hobby but can be extremely frustrating which is the fun.

Thanks for the offer I’m in the North East, my dad has a fancy Browning which he hasn’t used in years but he always did shoots on a field for farmers I think?

I’ve Actually just found a club not to far away so I’m going to email and see if they do anything for a newbie interested in starting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the offer I’m in the North East, my dad has a fancy Browning which he hasn’t used in years but he always did shoots on a field for farmers I think?

I’ve Actually just found a club not to far away so I’m going to email and see if they do anything for a newbie interested in starting.

Usually the best way. Have some lessons with club guns before laying out any money on your own. Beware clay shooting can be addictive, especially skeet.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Local Club is a great way to start.

Only advice I'd offer is to not spend fortunes on your first gun. Quite often clubs will offer tuition that will help you get an idea of what suits you. I've also found most members/users of the clubs I have been to are more than willing to help.

Even now, things like this stick in my memory:

'You're miles behind that'

'If you are going to miss it lad, miss it in front'

It's also a bit (lot) more expensive than it used to be.

I still remember my dad getting into shooting, he started off with a gun that cost a few hundred, about a month later I was round his house whilst my mother was away and next thing a knock on the door and a new shotgun is being delivered, let’s just say in was in the thousands price bracket...

His worlds were ‘ah ya mother won’t know the difference’ haha...

Master
    I still remember my dad getting into shooting, he started off with a gun that cost a few hundred, about a month later I was round his house whilst my mother was away and next thing a knock on the door and a new shotgun is being delivered, let’s just say in was in the thousands price bracket...

His worlds were ‘ah ya mother won’t know the difference’ haha...

Must have been back in the days when you were allowed mail order - was it Grattans Catalogue 🤣

Yes!

I'm out far more often than I should be . I'm at competitions every weekend.

If you wanted a run through of the processes I'd be happy to have a call, ping me your number if you like.

Master
    I started shooting clays in the mid 80s and joined a local group of just 20 chaps who managed to scrounge permission from a local farmer to use his land every Sunday morning.

Unfortunately it folded up around 2005 and I haven't shot since. I bought a Miroku 7000 and had only fired 500 cartridges, if that, but I have kept it just in case I ever take it up again.

Back then 28" barrels were all the rage, is that still the case now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtons99 View Post
    Must have been back in the days when you were allowed mail order - was it Grattans Catalogue 🤣
    Yep got that wrong, must of being something else? Still wonder if I’d get son rates if he sold it ...

Sadly not. 32" is the standard now, with some 34" models creeping in!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug86 View Post
    Yes!

I'm out far more often than I should be . I'm at competitions every weekend.

If you wanted a run through of the processes I'd be happy to have a call, ping me your number if you like.
    Thanks Doug I’ll take you up on that offer when I hear back from the club I’m going to email.

Master

Back Garden Airgun Plinking

Ignore this, meant to start a new thread.
    Last edited by gerrudd; 30th March 2021 at 16:44.

Master

Done it a few times with friends/corporate days out, etc.. Good bit of fun but not something I would want to do regularly so definitely give it a go before spending any cash on bits and pieces (clothing, etc., not a shotgun, obv.).

Craftsman
    As others have said, go to a ground with tuition & have a go with their guns. Then when you decide it's for you & you start spending, get a cabinet at least 3 times the size you think you need, it'll soon fill up!

Master

Where in the north east? I used to instruct at the shooting school at felixkirk near thirsk. There are loads around depending on what discipline you want to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    Where in the north east? I used to instruct at the shooting school at felixkirk near thirsk. There are loads around depending on what discipline you want to shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Just outside of Middlesbrough so I’ve emailed a club at Hardwick Hall which is about 5 miles from me. I’ll see what they come back with.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I started shooting clays in the mid 80s and joined a local group of just 20 chaps who managed to scrounge permission from a local farmer to use his land every Sunday morning.

Unfortunately it folded up around 2005 and I haven't shot since. I bought a Miroku 7000 and had only fired 500 cartridges, if that, but I have kept it just in case I ever take it up again.

Back then 28" barrels were all the rage, is that still the case now?

Depending on what you use it for, 26 open choke was the choice of international sleet shooters but when everyone went sporting it was 30 then 32 it’s all down to pointability and fit bit that comes with experience. A good man can win any day with a piece of rubbish but a bad man will never win with a perazzi. It certainly isn’t a game where what you spend makes you better.

Licence applied for, waiting for the home visit to check the storage arrangements, then (hopefully) off to buy a gun (although have no idea about what to get at the moment).

Will be back to ask advice!

Quote Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
    Licence applied for, waiting for the home visit to check the storage arrangements, then (hopefully) off to buy a gun (although have no idea about what to get at the moment).

Will be back to ask advice!
    Interesting, Which police force county you in?

Must have been back in the days when you were allowed mail order - was it Grattans Catalogue 藍
    I have noticed more and more RFDs delivering now. The paperwork is done on the doorstep!

Shooting clays is good fun, I have done it since I was about 10/11. It’s my favourite shooting discipline.
    It can be expensive but there are some really good guns out there on the 2nd hand market. I only paid about £500 for mine and I still hit as many if not more than guys with guns worth thousands.
    Making sure the barrel length and reach of pull to suit you is the most important thing, if you go for a multi choke you have a jack of all trades.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I have noticed more and more RFDs delivering now. The paperwork is done on the doorstep!

Shooting clays is good fun, I have done it since I was about 10/11. It’s my favourite shooting discipline.
    It can be expensive but there are some really good guns out there on the 2nd hand market. I only paid about £500 for mine and I still hit as many if not more than guys with guns worth thousands.
    Making sure the barrel length and reach of pull to suit you is the most important thing, if you go for a multi choke you have a jack of all trades.

How do they do that. I thought the only way a shotgun could be posted was RFD to RFD. I’m sure it will be right but certainly different

- - - Updated - - -

On the subject, I’m after a nice game gun if anyone knows of anything out there

How do they do that. I thought the only way a shotgun could be posted was RFD to RFD. I’m sure it will be right but certainly different
    I have not used the service yet but I have been looking for a new rifle and lots of the RFDs are happy to deliver and do the paperwork there and then
    I guess it does not matter, they are an RFD and You have the slot on your ticket, you can scan your certificate prior to paying and as long as they are happy they will deliver.
    I have had cartridges delivered by post recently, I shared my cert, paid and they arrived the next day. The deliver guy had a number of stops in London that day. - I have not managed to use any yet due to lock down!
    I am not sure rifle ammo would be sold in the same manner through as they need to note the quantity transferred at point of sale in addition most / all dealers are now also taking copies of your cert when they sell rifle ammo. It never used to happen before.

Cartridge delivery very different than a shotgun/firearm.
    RFD to RFD, otherwise they are breaking the law simple as that. Did this last year , and a few times before. Unless you go into store it can only be shipped via RFD license to another RFD license then put onto your ticket once you collect from the final RFD. Unless the law has changed around this due to Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Anygreg View Post
    Cartridge delivery very different than a shotgun/firearm.
    RFD to RFD, otherwise they are breaking the law simple as that. Did this last year , and a few times before. Unless you go into store it can only be shipped via RFD license to another RFD license then put onto your ticket once you collect from the final RFD
    That was my understanding.
    However there are a few that are willing to deliver to the buyer, check out gun trader, the dealers are stating it quite openly in their adverts.

That was my understanding.
    However there are a few that are willing to deliver to the buyer, check out gun trader, the dealers are stating it quite openly in their adverts.
    You could be right mate, just reading a few online retailers now that state they ship direct to your door? Guessing you would have to send them your ticket first, then they would fill out the details. Bizarre. I had to jump through endless loops to get my last one shipped via RFD to RFD.
    Learn something new every day. Good shout mate

https://www.pellpax.co.uk/rifles-and-shotguns/shotguns

With a scan of your cert via email

You could be right mate, just reading a few online retailers now that state they ship direct to your door? Guessing you would have to send them your ticket first, then they would fill out the details. Bizarre. I had to jump through endless loops to get my last one shipped via RFD to RFD.
    Learn something new every day. Good shout mate
    Tell me about it!
    RFDs are few and far between near me so finding one that will accept a transfer was a right pain.
    I am after a new .44 under lever and noticed it last week.
    I am tempted to give it a go to see how it progresses.

Tell me about it!
    RFDs are few and far between near me so finding one that will accept a transfer was a right pain.
    I am after a new .44 under lever and noticed it last week.
    I am tempted to give it a go to see how it progresses.
    Keep us updated mate, quite shocked they do this to be fair, but saves a shed load of hassle and cost. Makes sense if dealing directly with RFD. Would hope they do some due diligence though before sending. I mean a scanned document ? I’m pretty sure they’d have to have the original. Keep us posted buddy, thanks again and sorry to jump in quick on my reply, was positive it was a no go. Cheers mate

Keep us updated mate, quite shocked they do this to be fair, but saves a shed load of hassle and cost. Makes sense if dealing directly with RFD. Would hope they do some due diligence though before sending. I mean a scanned document ? I’m pretty sure they’d have to have the original. Keep us posted buddy, thanks again and sorry to jump in quick on my reply, was positive it was a no go. Cheers mate
    I will do
    I too hope there is a bit more of a check than a scan of a document, I would guess the RFD does the delivery and does the paperwork on the door step. With a copy taken.

Master
    I’m struggling to understand this one. Given the incompetence of many couriers and they are expecting them to do some sort of doorstep transaction for a firearm. It just doesn’t ring true but not dismissing it. Or is it the case that the holder of the RFD has to physically deliver the firearm to your door

I’m struggling to understand this one. Given the incompetence of many couriers and they are expecting them to do some sort of doorstep transaction for a firearm. It just doesn’t ring true but not dismissing it. Or is it the case that the holder of the RFD has to physically deliver the firearm to your door
    It’s not a courier though
    It’s the actual RFD that does the delivery
    They have to deliver and do the paperwork.
    I would expect the actual licensed RFD would turn up at your door
    If you buy a shot gun or rifle from an RFD the owner for that RFD would deliver it to you

Master
    I suppose that is feasible then. I guess if you deal with an RFD, where you deal with them is academic.

If you buy a shot gun or rifle from an RFD the owner for that RFD would deliver it to you
    The penny drops. So it’s the actual RFD doing the delivery, you may as well click and collect which is what I did with a new laminate browning I picked up last week.

- - - Updated - - -

On the subject, I’m after a nice game gun if anyone knows of anything out there
    Depends on your budget. At £1500 ish you have an amazing choice and second hand guns on guntrader are a good bet. I'd go for Silver Pigeon 2.

But why spend so much?
    I bought a Turkish Kofs Sceptre last year for £540 brand new and it is simply lovely. It replaces my 30 year old Baikal. Its nice and light, which is perfect for game (not shooting 100s of cartridges, but do have to lug it around all day)
    Its multichoke, Turkish walnut (obvs) A big thumbs up. Such a good game gun.

Interesting, Which police force county you in?
    Surrey

Master
    The wife and i found a local club and had the "Have a Go" session in 2009,now its every weekend, i Broke a Guinness world record in 2012 for shooting clays. Where in the NE? near Hartlepool? Catterick?
    Its a decent hobby with virtually no interim involvement, shoot,clean,put away and forget till next week.

And a bloody good day it was as well!

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    The wife and i found a local club and had the "Have a Go" session in 2009,now its every weekend, i Broke a Guinness world record in 2012 for shooting clays. Where in the NE? near Hartlepool? Catterick?
    Its a decent hobby with virtually no interim involvement, shoot,clean,put away and forget till next week.
    I live in Wynyard just outside of Middlesbrough, I’ve messaged Hardwick Hall but yet to hear back but if you can recommend anywhere local and good for a couple of newbies to learn and have a go I’d appreciate that.

Blog Entries
    Or their agent acting on their authority I believe.

"Servants
    As an RFD you may wish to employ or make use of servants to assist in the running of your business and it is important that due diligence is exercised so as to ensure that public safety is not compromised.
    In order to fully satisfy yourself that there are no grounds for concern in respect of prospective employees or servants, it is recommended that you notify your local Police of the details (full name, date of birth, place of birth & home address) of any person you wish to act a servant by virtue of Section 8 of the Firearms Act, 1968 as amended.
    When transporting firearms and ammunition on behalf of the dealership the servant should at all times carry a copy of their letter of authority together with a copy of the dealer’s certificate of registration."
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I live in Wynyard just outside of Middlesbrough, I’ve messaged Hardwick Hall but yet to hear back but if you can recommend anywhere local and good for a couple of newbies to learn and have a go I’d appreciate that.

Try here https://www.oaklodgeshootingground.co.uk/, i shoot here a bit during the year.

Master

And a bloody good day it was as well!

Missed a few from that lift lol, hoping to be there Easter monday.

Try here https://www.oaklodgeshootingground.co.uk/, i shoot here a bit during the year.
    Hey thanks mate, I’ll give them a call tomorrow and see what they offer.

Missed a few from that lift lol, hoping to be there Easter monday.
    Comp on Monday, some tricky ones on today’s layout. Packed out by dinner times as well. Cracking day

Master
    Comp on Monday, some tricky ones on today’s layout. Packed out by dinner times as well. Cracking day
    I like the comps, trying to make it thru B class.

Interesting thread, i've shot a few times and really enjoyed it - does anyone have any Bristol / Bath connections / clubs?

Craftsman

I've shot for a few years, still not great haha. I am in the North East and will be starting back in a few weeks or so. Drop me a PM if you want any info on wha there is up here.

Joe

Master
    I really enjoy clay shooting, and often go with a friend and use his guns... well to be honest I use his wife’s gun. A 20 bore.

Every time I’ve tried a 12 bore I’ve come home with a sore shoulder and disappointed at my lack of hits. Whenever I use the 20 bore I rarely miss, and don’t ache when I get home👍👍