closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Big Gaming Thread

Hybrid View

No Man's Sky continues be be great, with lots of free updates and new content / expansions. The latest 'expedition' (a series of linked missions) is rather challenging, in several ways.

The Planet Crafter (on Steam) is a fun survival (against the elements, no enemies or monsters) planet terraforming game. Still early access, and relatively short, but good fun.

I must disagree about Sniper Elite 5. The graphics are a big step up from SE4. It’s not quite up to the best modern standards, just like SE4 wasn’t in its time. It’s true there are numerous bugs and glitches and the AI will sometimes freeze. Thus far I’ve only played the campaign, about halfway through and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ll admit that SE4 was one of my all time favourite games so I’m something of a fan. Disclaimer: I only play on the most difficult settings, so it may be worse on easier settings.

If you’re not a die hard fan it may be wise to wait for a while. I bet it’ll be a lot cheaper in 2023 and they’ll have ironed out the worst creases by then. You can also get it as part of the Game Pass.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    I must disagree about Sniper Elite 5. The graphics are a big step up from SE4. It’s not quite up to the best modern standards, just like SE4 wasn’t in its time. It’s true there are numerous bugs and glitches and the AI will sometimes freeze. Thus far I’ve only played the campaign, about halfway through and I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ll admit that SE4 was one of my all time favourite games so I’m something of a fan. Disclaimer: I only play on the most difficult settings, so it may be worse on easier settings.

If you’re not a die hard fan it may be wise to wait for a while. I bet it’ll be a lot cheaper in 2023 and they’ll have ironed out the worst creases by then. You can also get it as part of the Game Pass.
    SE5 was on game pass for the xbox, cant beat free!

Craftsman
    I am unsure about getting Eldenring - everyone raves about it, but I get the impression it is one impossible boss after another. I really enjoyed Witcher 3 - played it twice on Normal, but I prefer a fairly easy ride when playing, and definitely don’t like grinding through really frustrating boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    I am unsure about getting Eldenring - everyone raves about it, but I get the impression it is one impossible boss after another. I really enjoyed Witcher 3 - played it twice on Normal, but I prefer a fairly easy ride when playing, and definitely don’t like grinding through really frustrating boss fights.
    No it is fantastic. It does have hard bosses but you can level up by doing quests elsewhere and come back to it. At no stage do you get 'stuck'. IMHO it is a far superior game to God of War.

I agree with Ryan that it’s fantastic, but IMO even regular combat is tough and unforgiving. I can’t recommend buying it to anyone wishing a fairly easy ride. I play most games on hardest settings comfortably and Elden Ring is one of those rare games where I struggle. I have very little experience with this type of game though.

I’d say try to find a way to try it before you buy it.

I agree with Ryan that it’s fantastic, but IMO even regular combat is tough and unforgiving. I can’t recommend buying it to anyone wishing a fairly easy ride. I play most games on hardest settings comfortably and Elden Ring is one of those rare games where I struggle. I have very little experience with this type of game though.

I’d say try to find a way to try it before you buy it.
    I’m torn on this. I found it pretty brutal, but less so as you progress and get the hang of it - and thereafter it’s very rewarding and enjoyable; I had to grind some of the bosses and got a bit fed up but the sense of achievement is enormous when you finally beat one. I confess that I still haven’t beaten the final boss, I got distracted by Returnal which is brutal in its own way…

I was undecided whether to try it or not based on my experience with Demons Souls games, but I’m very glad I did. Oh and don’t be shy about using online guides, some of the stuff is so obscure and opaque that there’s no way I would have figured it out.

For context, I loved Witcher 3 (just about to replay with PS5 update) and hated all the Demon Souls games (way too hard).

Is anyone else playing Eve online? I discovered it about three months ago and I am thoroughly enjoying it, albeit I am about ten years behind the curve. For those that don’t know it, it is an absolutely vast space based MMO which is highly addictive and free to play as an Alpha for as long as you want but which also has additional levels of gameplay for Omega subscription.

For context, I absolutely HATED Elden Ring, as I have with all of the ‘Souls’ games. I just don’t get them. The combat is clunky, the enemies are artificially difficult, the losses at death are punishing and the stories are always incomprehensible. Utter tosh.

I do, of course, understand I’m in the minority. It’s won far too many accolades for my opinion to matter against the masses.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy a hard game either, I love a challenge. My GOTY this year (by far) was SIFU, most complain about it’s difficulty but I’ve finished it multiple times on all difficulties and absolutely adore it.

And I still hate all the ‘Souls’ style games. Sekiro was the only one that stood out, I finished that.

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    For context, I absolutely HATED Elden Ring, as I have with all of the ‘Souls’ games. I just don’t get them. The combat is clunky, the enemies are artificially difficult, the losses at death are punishing and the stories are always incomprehensible. Utter tosh.

I do, of course, understand I’m in the minority. It’s won far too many accolades for my opinion to matter against the masses.

It’s not that I don’t enjoy a hard game either, I love a challenge. My GOTY this year (by far) was SIFU, most complain about it’s difficulty but I’ve finished it multiple times on all difficulties and absolutely adore it.

And I still hate all the ‘Souls’ style games. Sekiro was the only one that stood out, I finished that.
    Haha - yes I get that response. That is exactly how I have felt with all Souls games… except Elden Ring. There is an initial barrier of difficulty and obscurity but it’s worth getting past that. And it’s accessible compared to other Souls games IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack83 View Post
    Haha - yes I get that response. That is exactly how I have felt with all Souls games… except Elden Ring. There is an initial barrier of difficulty and obscurity but it’s worth getting past that. And it’s accessible compared to other Souls games IMO.
    Yeah I must admit the first time early in Elden Ring when you get to the gates of Stormveil Castle and have to face Magrit the Fell Omen when you are level 5 or whatever and get utterly obliterated over and over until you realise that boss is there to make sure you are the correct level to take on the dungeon and so you must go and do other stuff elsewhere and level up. Took a good 25 hours of play before I was ever ready to beat Magrit who you would meet only 1.5 hours into the game!

It is really good, I played it alot, finished it 5-6 times using different builds.

Word of warning, the learning curve is hard and youtube is your friend! The first few hours you will die a lot and I mean a lot, some of the quests are very good but some parts I had to youtube as no idea how you could figure them out.

PS. when you first start avoid the mini boss on the horse its impossible at your starting level.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    It is really good, I played it alot, finished it 5-6 times using different builds.

Word of warning, the learning curve is hard and youtube is your friend! The first few hours you will die a lot and I mean a lot, some of the quests are very good but some parts I had to youtube as no idea how you could figure them out.

PS. when you first start avoid the mini boss on the horse its impossible at your starting level.

This is something that irks me though - you shouldn't have to YouTube things to figure stuff out. The game should guide the player enough that nothing is inexplicable. I just couldn't 'get' the hype around it. I played a good few hours, killed plenty of people but then I (because the game gives you NO indication of what direction to go in) came across a normal looking enemy who just one-shotted me. Hours lost. Rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by RickChard View Post
    This is something that irks me though - you shouldn't have to YouTube things to figure stuff out. The game should guide the player enough that nothing is inexplicable. I just couldn't 'get' the hype around it. I played a good few hours, killed plenty of people but then I (because the game gives you NO indication of what direction to go in) came across a normal looking enemy who just one-shotted me. Hours lost. Rubbish.
    Yes it is very frustrating. You do have a rough direction with the grace points but that is just the main quest line not all the side quests, which are the bests part. The Rani questline is a good example, really good but at some points without youtube it would be impossible, I have no idea how the youtubers figure out some of the quest lines.

At the heart of it, the game is very hard, the Melania fight for example is very difficult as is the Godfrey fight before the final boss.

I lost interest months ago, but will play once they release some DLC.

Master

We clearly enjoy many of the same games! SE3 onwards, and always enjoyed them.

I have finally gained enough levels in Elden Ring to make playing feel really enjoyable. Took a lot of grinding but then I ventured into an easier area and now I only die when I make a big mistake. It’s still v. easy to get overwhelmed by a few enemies that would be easy on their lonesome.

I must say it doesn’t bother me at all that the side stories are hard and will need YouTube guidance. I’m sure it’s nothing compared to breeding a golden chocobo in Final Fantasy VII in the late 90’s. I borrowed a huge walkthrough dossier my mate had printed in his uni library in the wee hours. IIRC it took several hours to get the bastard bird even with the guide. Must have taken someone hundreds of hours to figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    We clearly enjoy many of the same games! SE3 onwards, and always enjoyed them.
    Brofist.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    No Man's Sky continues be be great, with lots of free updates and new content / expansions. The latest 'expedition' (a series of linked missions) is rather challenging, in several ways.

The Planet Crafter (on Steam) is a fun survival (against the elements, no enemies or monsters) planet terraforming game. Still early access, and relatively short, but good fun.
    I’ve put a lot of hours in to NMS and still really enjoy it. Want to try it in VR. Pretty sure I’ve barely scratched the surface.

I’ve been playing too much Fortnite of late though.

I bought Elden Ring in the sales and by Jove it’s a beautiful game! A couple of hours in and I’m still feeling overwhelmed with all of the choices and stats etc. Not to mention getting my arse handed to me by some common low level adversaries…