closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tweaked Omega SM 300 Master CoAx

Tweaked Omega SM 300 Master CoAx

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/omega-s...onze-hands-on/

I noticed this pop up on instagram this morning
    Omega have tweaked the SM300 Master Co-ax.
    They are not major tweaks but it address' lots of the things I would have changed on the original. The new crystal profile is nice and the dial size has been increased. That said the original is still one of the best looking modern divers watch on sale today IMO.

Agree - those look like very good tweaks, particularly to the lug-to-lug and thickness of the previous incarnation. The new aesthetics also give it a more vintage look - it seems they have incorporated elements from the Bond and the trilogy versions.

It may be the pics but somehow I am not feeling it.
    I do agree that SM 300 Co-axial is one of the best looking divers out there.

I have mixed feelings about these. I like the fact that they changed the bracelet to have polished sections on the outside of the links rather than in the middle. I like the shorter lug to lug, helped by the angling down of the bracelet end links. This feature in particular on this watch and the new Speedmaster makes me think Omega do listen to collectors' feedback and preferences. I like the sandwich dial and the refining of the profile of the case to make it look slightly thinner. However, I think the aged lume is a bit over done. The more pronounced vintage feel makes this look like a watch that could have been released a couple of years ago at the height of the reissue trend. I'm sure the bronze gold version looks nice in person but it's more than I'd want to pay at retail price.

I would have thought one of the big drivers of the change must be getting the whole Omega range METAS movements. There are still a few 'master co-axials' floating around in the current line-up they must want replaced...I'm thinking Globemaster etc.

Craftsman
    Obviously highly subjective, but they look awful. I can’t put my finger on why I hate it so, but the outgoing model looks far nicer to me. Wish I had of picked one up while they were still in production.

I’m not feeling the latest Omega releases at all, I was hoping for a new PO, but not if they apply the same retro design language.

Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Obviously highly subjective, but they look awful. I can’t put my finger on why I hate it so, but the outgoing model looks far nicer to me. Wish I had of picked one up while they were still in production.

I’m not feeling the latest Omega releases at all, I was hoping for a new PO, but not if they apply the same retro design language.
    Were you a fan of the trilogy SM300's? These new one's remind me of them. I guess it might be the thinner bezel. These new ones look to me more old fashioned whereas the previous incarnation was kind of modern-vintage.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Were you a fan of the trilogy SM300's? These new one's remind me of them. I guess it might be the thinner bezel. These new ones look to me more old fashioned whereas the previous incarnation was kind of modern-vintage.
    Yeah I think you’ve just nailed it for me. I didn’t like the trilogy and the thinner bezels, so that explains it. The effect appears more subtle on the new 300s but it’s there.

Master
    I would have liked them to have got rid of the steel ring between the bezel insert and the crystal. On the previous versions I found that to be a scratch magnet and because of it's prominent position was very noticeable.

The steel ring is a nightmare, I put a dink in mine the first time I wore it, its impossible to polish out. A thinner ring (ooo er mrs) is an improvement for me.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 23rd March 2021 at 13:25.

That's gorgeous

Bronze meets 9ct Gold...I like it..

There’s a lot to like about the SM300 but a lot that doesn’t do it for me. The vintage lume and size chief among them. To me, the new tweaks do nothing to address those. As others have said, it’s a matter of personal taste, of course.

I’m convinced that if they released a military SM300 165024 reissue with sword hands and white lume, they would sell like hot cakes. Something tells me that will be some sort of LE and cost 10k...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickGaters View Post
    Yeah I think you’ve just nailed it for me. I didn’t like the trilogy and the thinner bezels, so that explains it. The effect appears more subtle on the new 300s but it’s there.
    Come to think of it, what’s a realistic second hand price to pay for the outgoing model now on SC? I’ve not seen too many of them go through here. Wondering what’s in budget. EDIT: I’ll stick a tentative WTB up.

IMO, the current version is close to perfect. Ofcourse minor tweaks are possible but no major overhaul.
    Those who find faults with it, need to re-evaluate their choices and tastes:-)
    I can overlook objections with a Submariner but this is just P-E-R-F-E-C-T.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I’m convinced that if they released a military SM300 165024 reissue with sword hands and white lume, they would sell like hot cakes. Something tells me that will be some sort of LE and cost 10k...
    A Big Triangle dial sword hands in this case with modern materials (lumed bezel) would be a winner

Maybe I missed it, but is the blue bezel/dial version titanium, like it's predecessor, or SS?

Maybe I missed it, but is the blue bezel/dial version titanium, like it's predecessor, or SS?
    Platinum I think!

Steel.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/en-gb/w...23430412103001

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    Ah, thanks. Another benefit that this colour option (which I think looks great) is now available without having to spend a lot of extra money on titanium. The prices aren't too bad either - up by £300 but you now get an updated METAS movement.

Without fauxtina these could have been classics.

Master
    What is that doing crown on this watch??? Completely spoilt the look in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by raydin View Post
    What is that doing crown on this watch??? Completely spoilt the look in my opinion.
    I did notice that too...could have been better....it's like when they decided to model the He escape valve on the new SMP on a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasy View Post
    Without fauxtina these could have been classics.
    Agreed

Master
    First impression, very appealing with a hint of Omega meets microbrand.

Second impression, hang on, what’s going on with that bracelet? Instead of the dreaded polished centre links do they have polished outer links? Not sure that’s a great idea but best to see it in person I guess.

I like the look of the new 300. Simple. Size wise I need to see one.
    Lug width at 21mm seems odd when PO is 20mm for a 42mm watch. Will it look disproportionate? Likewise lug to lug is the most important measurement.
    I am impressed with Omega's quality, certainly no complaints with my PO 8500.
    I took would love a reissue not the 1960s SM300.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Wow

I think they nailed it! Less is more. No crazy text, sandwich dial! Love the Bronze Gold.......serious contender. Can't wait to see them in person in Bahnhofstrasse.