closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PSA- Suunto Core bargain alert

Master

PSA- Suunto Core bargain alert

Great price for an excellent watch. Just bought another watch I don’t really need 😐

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suunto-Unis...01168953&psc=1

Damn that BUY NOW button!

Always fancied trying one, cheers for the shout.

Coming from the EU. Don't forget to add 20% VAT to the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Coming from the EU. Don't forget to add 20% VAT to the price.

Master
    It’s says the £85 price includes UK VAT

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Phew!

Apologies I didn’t even notice it but to be fair it is still a bargain even with the extra £18, if it came to that.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Good news!

Mines only £50 on SC 😂

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Mines only £50 on SC 😂
    Just saw that Rod, apologies! However I sold my second hand one last year for £70 so £50 is a mega bargain. GLWTS

I would be on to that like a shot but am saving for something else. These temptations are very difficult to ignore! :)

Another £6 off to £79 with the Amazon Top-Up offer.

Craftsman
    Argh, this is tempting. Of course with 5 G-Shocks I dont really need it, but this is the watch worn by the guys in the Seal Team TV show... And after all I bought 3 G-Shocks over th years because of the Strike Back TV show...

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using TZ-UK mobile app

Didn't need it with two G-Shocks vying for wrist time, but at the price it was irresistible (I've been "nearly buying one" for years now). Thanks, OP!

Recently got another G_Shock (Rangeman 9400) but had genuinely been thinking about one of these for years...oh, well, it's on it's way!

Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    Argh, this is tempting. Of course with 5 G-Shocks I dont really need it, but this is the watch worn by the guys in the Seal Team TV show... And after all I bought 3 G-Shocks over th years because of the Strike Back TV show...

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 5G using TZ-UK mobile app
    Seal Team as in... navy seals? Isn't this watch 30m WR?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Glad to see some benefitted!

SF aren’t military divers per say, and will normally operate at shallow depths. I think this is also a case of 30m means 30m as it has a depth gauge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Glad to see some benefitted!

SF aren’t military divers per say, and will normally operate at shallow depths. I think this is also a case of 30m means 30m as it has a depth gauge on it.
    Ah fair enough if it's actually '30m deep' as opposed to the 'don't get your hands wet' type of 30m lol

Master
    Ah fair enough if it's actually '30m deep' as opposed to the 'don't get your hands wet' type of 30m lol
    Yeah definitely. I’ve had my previous one down to about 20m with no issues.

Craftsman
    I did some research on the watch as I was wondering what it was when I started watching the TV show and it appeared the Suunto Core All Black is very popular with military personnel due to its numerous functions and affordable price. £85 seems extremely good price for it, if I hadn't bought yet another G-Shock this month, I would be all over it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    I did some research on the watch as I was wondering what it was when I started watching the TV show and it appeared the Suunto Core All Black is very popular with military personnel due to its numerous functions and affordable price. £85 seems extremely good price for it, if I hadn't bought yet another G-Shock this month, I would be all over it.
    It is (or was) issued to several SF units due to the above points. Allegedly.

Also worn be The Equalizer.

Anyone had theirs arrive yet? I ordered one on a whim (like you do) and can’t decide from the reviews whether these are a reliable, decent watch or shoddy tat - all the reviews seem to be polarised one way or the other. Anyone on here have any experience with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Anyone had theirs arrive yet? I ordered one on a whim (like you do) and can’t decide from the reviews whether these are a reliable, decent watch or shoddy tat - all the reviews seem to be polarised one way or the other. Anyone on here have any experience with them?
    Tony's arrived just in time for a late post on the Friday thread. [The mixed reviews put me off.]

Craftsman
    I bought an early one back in 2008. Great altimeter functionality (I was using it for mountaineering, multi-sport races, etc where I needed an altimeter for navigation) but mine hasn't been very reliable, with the compass in particular being very temperamental. I would never rely only on an electronic compass anyway, so I kept using my traditional compass. Battery life wasn't great either. I probably should have got it sorted under warranty, but I didn't. I understand these issues may have improved with newer watches.

I use a 9400 Riseman now. The altimeter functionality isn't quite as good and display not as big, but I spend less time mountaineering now so it's good enough for me. And it's been utterly reliable, with no need for battery changes since it's solar, and a more compact and better looking (IMO) package. And some other things, like the stopwatch functionality, are way better.

Master
    Mine arrived a few days ago. This is my second. I found the first excellent.

Carried out many battery changes, changed the seal every second battery. Average battery life 13-14 months for me.

Wore it as a real beater and loved it, had loads of comments about it and regretted selling it. As above, had it down to about 20ms several times, worn camping and travelling. Easy to pick up a battery if needed or carry a spare with you.

Loads of functions at a cheapish price...there is a reason the military use them. I had previously had Gshocks which are great but I never seem to keep them as they sometimes seem a bit juvenile to me. (That being said I’ll no doubt get another at some point!)

PSA- Suunto Core bargain alert

Well, mine arrived and I’m a bit confused by it tbh. Compared to a Casio - even a basic non g shock Casio - it really feels pretty flimsy, almost delicate. Like the last watch I’d use on the beach or to go swimming, or anything where a watch might get knocked around. The large domed crystal and bezel both look easily damaged, and the buttons have no protection whatsoever from an impact ( and as the watch is so large I’d imagine that will happen more often than with a small watch like a Casio square). There seems to be a known issue with button failure on these and perhaps that’s why. The size isn’t personally a problem as I have very large wrists but I’d imagine on most people this would wear huge, although it is actually quite slim. The set-up manual was useless - beyond the most basic features I had to go to their website as I couldn’t find an English version of the manual in the box - and relied on you tube to see how to set the contrast. Speaking of contrast, the backlight is incredibly dim - even in a shaded room you need to cup your hands around it to see if it’s working. I could set up pretty much any new Casio with my eyes closed in comparison to this watch. This seems a bit odd with some settings not really explained at alI. I’m always a bit suspect of reverse displays - look cool but you can’t read them half the time - and this is kind of a halfway house for me - not great, but not awful. The band feels secure and soft, much softer than any Casio resin band but again it feels insubstantial and delicate. So why am I confused as it sounds like I hate it? - well, I actually think it’s a bit quirky and the huge digits offset some of the negative display issues - plus it’s nice to see a different approach to an abc digital watch in comparison to how Casio do things. I also suspect just because it ‘feels’ fragile it doesn’t mean it necessarily is, although unlike any other g shock I own I wouldn’t drop this onto my tiled kitchen floor without a thought - I think the suunto would be totalled!
    I got this for around £85 which feels about right for what you get. Any price over about £100 for this seems ridiculous - no solar, no atomic time, a pretty old school set up with no gps etc. Maybe 10 years ago these were cutting edge, now it feels almost archaic. I’m going to wear it out and about and see how it lasts.
    Given the mixed reviews I’ve found I’d be amazed if these were ever issued to the military, or even if a serviceman would choose one over a myriad of options which either never need a battery,
    Offer shock resistance, better water resistance, better abc functions or all of the above. I reckon they make a cool prop for actors in ‘special forces’ tv programs but that’s about it! - far better for a watch nerd like me who fancies trying out another gadget at a discounted price!
    Ps there’s also the crazy short battery life, offset by the user replaceable CR2032 behind a hatch easily opened with a coin. Average 1 year life apparently - when I had a Casio riseman with similar functions must be nearly 10 years ago that can manage with solar power, plus atomic timekeeping - so another weird anachronism there too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobDad; 3rd April 2021 at 13:48.

Interesting write up. Thanks.