closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Wing Alternatives?

Red Wing Alternatives?

For ages now I've wanted a pair of Red Wing Moc Toe boots but am always put off by the £270 price tag and they're never in any sales. Recently I've been looking at the Danner Bull Run Moc Toe as an alternative which retail at £195 and you can get discounts at some retailers. They look lovely but will they be any good? Red Wing soles are legendary for wear.

There's loads of boot lovers here so I wonder if anyone can suggest any good quality alternatives to the Red Wing Moc Toe?

Cheers.

Here's the Red Wing:

https://www.redwinglondon.com/collec...toe-work-boots

Here's the Danner:

https://www.aphrodite1994.com/danner...iABEgL7-PD_BwE

Danner Boots are just as good as redwing in my opinion.
    I don’t have the moc toe in either (not my style) but I have 2 pairs of RW (Blacksmith rough out and Beckman round toe) and a pair of the Danner mountain pass and can’t fault any of them, all are comfortable when broken in.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 13th March 2021 at 17:20.

Thanks. From research, people do seem the think that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Danner Boots are just as good as redwing in my opinion.

Thorogood are another but much the same price.

I fancy a pair too but haven’t chosen one yet

Master
    Get on You Tube and search for Rose Anvil. That’s all that you need to know!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I got lucky 18 months ago where a retailer in Norwich had a sale on Red Wing boots - they didn’t have the moc toe in stock but I got 2 pairs each for around £90! (I’m a size 11 and they were the only size in stock so I was lucky - they were painful to break in and now I reckon I’d ideally go for a 10.5 as they now need an insole) - so you can get them cheaper if you look around. The downside? Not worn any boots this winter due to the lockdown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have a bit of a problem with shoes, and over the years have acquired Redwing Mocs and Iron Rangers amongst a few Grenson boots too, which were less expensive.

My initial thought is generally “try both for size/aesthetic, then decide and send the ones you don’t like back.”

A purchase like this will last you a lifetime with good care, so buy the ones that fit best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post

Definitely,

I’ve got 2 pairs of redwing one pair (ranchers) must be around 12 years old newer ones iron rangers around 6 months definitely worth the money in my eyes

Thanks, that was interesting. No mention of Red Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post

I felt the same about Red Wing Iron Rangers, but eventually but the bullet last year.

I’m still so happy with them a year later and really love wearing them. I’ve now totally forgotten how much they were.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Thanks, that was interesting. No mention of Red Wing.
    I think that there may have been a Red Wing post in the Moctober set of reviews from....October

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I felt the same about Red Wing Iron Rangers, but eventually but the bullet last year.

I’m still so happy with them a year later and really love wearing them. I’ve now totally forgotten how much they were.

Ditto. I bought a pair of Blacksmith’s last summer from Stuart’s. They were offering a 20% COVID discount at the time which was too much of a gift horse to resist!

Hi David,

Long time no speak. :0) What size are you after?

Pete.

Hi Pete - hope you're well.

On the basis that most people say go half a size down, I'd be looking for an 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Hi David,

Long time no speak. :0) What size are you after?

Pete.

Hi David,

Mustn’t grumble mate lol, all ok here thank you.

That’s a pity, got a 10 here brand new in the box, I just prefer the Iron Ranger and the Beckman boots.

I’m a size 10 .

I have a pair of Mocs and think they are great. Feel like they will last.

Would get another pair, non-Moc.

M

Have a pair of RedWing moc toes for nearly 4 years and got them resoled last year. Not cheap to buy, nor resole but they are good quality and I expect them to last a long time.

These are a fantastic buy for anyone who is a size 11:

https://www.thehipstore.co.uk/produc...shoe/16036936/

Craftsman

Could even go a full-size down with the moc toe. I'm usually a size 9.5 in most leather shoes like Loake and Barker and a 9 on rare occasions. Red Wing UK 8.5 is perfect for me. Learnt the hard way having bought my first moc toe in size 9 which was too big.

Master
    Simple man maths when buying expensive shoes is all you need to apply. Divide the price by the rest of your life :). Have two pairs of chukkas and the first pair I got which are about 11 years old will be resoled when lock down lifts and can’t wait as I’ll choose the sole I want to customise them slightly.. Each year they get better and better! I agree prices have gone a bit silly compared to when I got mine for little over a ton

That's helpful thanks. Just spoke to my brother who is an 8 and bought a Moc Toe 8 and has to have a sole in them. I can buy 8 and 8.5 in leather shoes and boots and a 9 in trainers. Would you suggest a 7.5?

Quote Originally Posted by andytyc View Post
    Could even go a full-size down with the moc toe. I'm usually a size 9.5 in most leather shoes like Loake and Barker and a 9 on rare occasions. Red Wing UK 8.5 is perfect for me. Learnt the hard way having bought my first moc toe in size 9 which was too big.

These are a fantastic buy for anyone who is a size 11:

https://www.thehipstore.co.uk/produc...shoe/16036936/
    I am a size 11 but there is a reason they are 50% off...

I really like them. If they'd have been my size I'd have bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I am a size 11 but there is a reason they are 50% off...

I usually buy Timberland boots as the outlet store is pretty close to home and can be pretty cheap there. This year I bought some red wing moc toe in Oro.

They look nice, thick leather and heavyweight but nowhere near as comfortable from new as Timberlands, and the finishing isn’t worthy of the cost. I’ve no doubt they’ll last a long time but who knows whether I still want to wear them a few years from now.

Thanks Chris. How did you find the sizing? Did you go down a half or full size?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I usually buy Timberland boots as the outlet store is pretty close to home and can be pretty cheap there. This year I bought some red wing moc toe in Oro.

They look nice, thick leather and heavyweight but nowhere near as comfortable from new as Timberlands, and the finishing isn’t worthy of the cost. I’ve no doubt they’ll last a long time but who knows whether I still want to wear them a few years from now.

Master

This is THE Rose Anvil comparison for Moc Toes

Master
    I had read all the reviews reference sizing, just think it depends on the model- I sized down half a size with my chukka’s, too small- Ended up buying two pairs in my normal size, after they’re broken in most comfortable boots I’ve owned.

Excellent watch, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post

This is THE Rose Anvil comparison for Moc Toes

There's another couple of brands that do moc-toes that haven't been mentioned: Chippewa & Wolverine.

Chippewa used to be half the price of Red Wings, but they're now approaching the same price. Wolverine are a bit cheaper.

Timberland do a few moc-toe styles, but they're more 'fashion' boot, I think. However, they used to (might still) make a boot called Barstow which was a proper 'work' boot, available with safety & non-safety toes.
    ______

​Jim.

Blog Entries
    Red wings are nice but those light soles look shabby after a while…

I got these American Craft…. A fine pair of shoes they are too and no light sole to worry about

I love those Timberland's but they're even more expensive at £300!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I got these American Craft…. A fine pair of shoes they are too and no light sole to worry about

Blog Entries
    I have Redwing and Danner both good boots, Danner probably pip it.

Pitch

What makes the Danner pip it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    I have Redwing and Danner both good boots, Danner probably pip it.

Pitch

I heard the Danner sole is a bit harder wearing David, not tried them myself though.

That's why I got a pair of Red Wing Cooper boots, they have the classic moc toe with a black sole:

Blog Entries
    What makes the Danner pip it?
    They seem just a bit better built to me and the top two lacing points are hooks rather than eyelets which makes them easier to put on and take off.

Soles are holding up a lot lot better than Redwing.

Pitch

Blog Entries
    These are my oldest Redwings which are pretty beat up, but still wearing them.

Handling them both the leather is heavier on the Danners and you can see what I mean about the lacing.

Pitch

feathered plume on a helmet crossword

Craftsman
    Sorry, it's hard to say but at least half a size down from your normal size will keep it safe. Have you ever considered looking on eBay for a first pair to help with sizing especially if there's nowhere to try? Lots of hardly used examples. I bought a few pairs from Footway (Sweden) before Brexit. Frequent discounts.

That's helpful thanks. Just spoke to my brother who is an 8 and bought a Moc Toe 8 and has to have a sole in them. I can buy 8 and 8.5 in leather shoes and boots and a 9 in trainers. Would you suggest a 7.5?

Master
    In “normal” shoes I’m a U.K. 10

In both Redwing and Grenson that translates to a U.K. 9

I bought my Moc’s in Jan 2018...

And here they are three years and a few Mink Oil-ings later...

The leather really supples-up after a few good wears and with proper care products. The soles look a bit grubby here as I’ve not cleaned them recently, but with very little work and some William Green’s Cleaning Tonic from Grenson (https://www.grenson.com/uk/william-g...ing-tonic.html) they scrub up nicely enough.

Thanks for all the input, it’s been really helpful. I’ve ordered the Red Wings in 7.5 in Briar Oil Slick. We’ll see what they’re like.

Craftsman
    I agree to size down at least a half size if not a full size.

I have Redwing Moc Toes 8886 which have a black sole.

I still remember (sorely) breaking them in. For me it was the top of the ankle rather than the foot that hurt. But after about 2/3 weeks of wearing for a couple of hours a day they became super comfortable.

Just back from a bracing walk along the coast line wearing them.

Jake
    Last edited by Jake; 14th March 2021 at 16:42.

I have seen RW on sale at John Lewis at half price and worth keeping an eye on in future.

I bet you will receive them and the weather will be dry and sunny.

Master
    Thanks for all the input, it’s been really helpful. I’ve ordered the Red Wings in 7.5 in Briar Oil Slick. We’ll see what they’re like.
    Lovely leather, it was a toss-up between those and the “Mr Men” Amber which I ended up with. Well, and I liked the tan too!

Two things I’ve found. As mentioned above, done tie them tight at the top or they’ll dig into your lower calf. I usually don’t lace the top holes. Second is give them a good dose of mink oil after a few wears. Laces out, rub in with your fingers, leave overnight, wipe off any residue. They soon supple-up.

Funnily enough the Mr Men Orange is my favourite colour but I think they’ll be too bright for me. I’ll mink oil them before I wear them and then again after a few wears.

Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    Lovely leather, it was a toss-up between those and the “Mr Men” Amber which I ended up with. Well, and I liked the tan too!

Two things I’ve found. As mentioned above, done tie them tight at the top or they’ll dig into your lower calf. I usually don’t lace the top holes. Second is give them a good dose of mink oil after a few wears. Laces out, rub in with your fingers, leave overnight, wipe off any residue. They soon supple-up.

I like the look of my Red Wing Moc toe and I like they're comfortable to wear. What is a real PITA is trying to keep the white sole 'clean'. It's got to the point I only wear them on dry days to limit the dirt showing. If you don't mind them getting dirty fair enough, if your OCD is kicking in every time you wear them it will drive you nuts, or to keep your sanity, buy the black sole version. For the record, I use a small amount of toothpaste on the white sole which works well.

With regards to sizing, I went a full size down and they fit me perfectly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I like the look of my Red Wing Moc toe and I like they're comfortable to wear. What is a real PITA is trying to keep the white sole 'clean'. It's got to the point I only wear them on dry days to limit the dirt showing. If you don't mind them getting dirty fair enough, if your OCD is kicking in every time you wear them it will drive you nuts, or to keep your sanity, buy the black sole version. For the record, I use a small amount of toothpaste on the white sole which works well.

With regards to sizing, I went a full size down and they fit me perfectly.
    See above, get yourself some William Greens shoes tonic. Cleans it up nicely so long as you don’t leave the dirt too long.

Quote Originally Posted by S Works View Post
    See above, get yourself some William Greens shoes tonic. Cleans it up nicely so long as you don’t leave the dirt too long.
    Thanks, I use a small amount of toothpaste on the sole which works well on the stains but may try the Green's Tonic when I take my Moc's out of hibernation.

Second your point regarding mink oil, it will darken the leather slightly but it does help keep the leather supple (and more comfortable to wear) and of course adds an element of waterproofing.
    Last edited by zippy; 14th March 2021 at 18:58.

Blog Entries
    I love those Timberland's but they're even more expensive at £300!
    Sorry David! Typical TZ response….!!! I can them half price though! Occasional code chucked my way by a mate…

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    That's why I got a pair of Red Wing Cooper boots, they have the classic moc toe with a black sole:

They look sharp 👍🏼

They look sharp 👍🏼
    I’ll share a follow up tomorrow of how they look 3 years later.

Master