closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Portugieser Chronograph Classic IW390302 - good buy?

Craftsman

IWC Portugieser Chronograph Classic IW390302 - good buy?

I really like the look of this IWC Portugieser Chronograph Classic, but the IWC brand seems to have fallen out of favour around here: Whatever happened to IWC?.

I suspect that this watch is at end-of-life at IWC. May be they are about to discontinue it, or replace it with a new, similar model? On the other hand, I have been offered a £1700 discount on the IWC list price for it.

I am not desperate for the watch, but I am looking for a chronograph with date, in a dressy style - so no large bevels. I am not 100% sure either on the case size and thickness of the IWC classic; at 42 mm the case diameter is 1.5 mm wider than my current largest watch, a Nomos Orion, and the latter is a lot thinner (9.4mm compared to 14.30mm). My wrist is about 17 cm, 6.5" circumference.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this potential purchase?

If you really liked the watch then I would say its a decent discount but you don't come across as convinced.
    Maybe look at 2nd hand prices? This will help you gauge how much you might lose of you decide its not for you. It might help you make the decision.

If you don't care for the "AD" experience and getting it brand new, I'd recommend looking at used ones. I really like IWC watches - had a Portugieser Chrono "Laureus Sports" edition once. But they do lose quite a lot of value even if in good condition.

They are of course very well built so can't go wrong. Good luck OP

Also re: size. IWC chronos actually wear surprisingly well for 42 mm watches, probably thanks to the lugs that curve down which help to hug the wrist.
    Last edited by tommyzzj; 11th March 2021 at 11:05.

I would say that financially this wouldn't be a good buy, especially because it doesn't sound like you love it.

I would definitely recommend finding a IW3714 which is smaller and a fraction of the cost. Part of the reason some people don't like IWC is because some of their movements are basically tarted up Valjoux, but you pay a price for in house. If the valjoux movement doesn't bother you then you can find a superbly designed watch for relatively few ££s. Good luck!
    Last edited by Thom4711; 11th March 2021 at 11:09.

Even with the £1700 discount this is still an awful lot of money for a watch that doesn’t feel that special.

A quick check on Chrono24 shows that £1500-£2000 is the starting point for discounts on this model.

I appreciate there’s been some creep in pricing in recent years across all brands but don’t think IWC have earned this increase with this redesign even if there is a nice in house movement in there.

Despite that I’m not sure I’m ever going to get over the view that these are at best £3-4K watches with a lot of PR fluff tacked on.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and only you know if it’s worth the ‘investment’

Despite all that I do think it’s a lovely looking watch but at that price it’s not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    Even with the £1700 discount this is still an awful lot of money for a watch that doesn’t feel that special.

A quick check on Chrono24 shows that £1500-£2000 is the starting point for discounts on this model.

I appreciate there’s been some creep in pricing in recent years across all brands but don’t think IWC have earned this increase with this redesign even if there is a nice in house movement in there.

Despite that I’m not sure I’m ever going to get over the view that these are at best £3-4K watches with a lot of PR fluff tacked on.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and only you know if it’s worth the ‘investment’

Despite all that I do think it’s a lovely looking watch but at that price it’s not for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My thoughts exactly, just can’t see the value in this even with the discount. Not one for me but as always buy what you like and don’t give a hoot what we say!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    FWIW, I like an IWC but you have to REALLY like the 390302 model in the OP, to go for it even with the discount.

Tommy is right in that they wear smaller than you might think but, still, 42mm is big for a dress watch, IMVHO.

The 3714 pointed-out below is a tad smaller and makes more sense, if you can live with cut-out numbers on the dial (?).

Good luck in your searches.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thom4711 View Post
    I would say that financially this wouldn't be a good buy, especially because it doesn't sound like you love it.

I would definitely recommend finding a IW3714 which is smaller and a fraction of the cost. Part of the reason some people don't like IWC is because some of their movements are basically tarted up Valjoux, but you pay a price for in house. If the valjoux movement doesn't bother you then you can find a superbly designed watch for relatively few ££s. Good luck!
    I believe the IW3714 does not have the date function (which I particularly wanted)?

The list price of the IW390302 is twice the cost of any of my other watches, so it is definitely on the high side for me. I agree that it is overpriced. I see a lot of chronographs+date that are a lot cheaper, but nothing quite as nice design wise (in my view) as the IW390302. But it is all superficial appearances based on a few photos. Maybe in the flesh I would not like it as much. I may visit the IWC boutique in London when lockdown is over.
    Last edited by Tatters; 11th March 2021 at 12:32.

I dont think that version of the Portuguese is very popular (dont see it much in agents windows or in forums/groups), its basically the popular standard chrono with a date and an extra 3 grand price tag. I have the regular Portuguese chrono (3714) with blue numerals and hands & love the watch,its very classy! I also have 6.5-7 inch wrist and it wears well under a shirt cuff.

I think I'd prefer this for taking account value for money.

https://www.bankslyon.co.uk/iwc-port...watch-iw371446

Craftsman
    It’s nice but pricey, what about the Breitling Transocean?

Craftsman
    it’s a great watch at an ok price i guess

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I think I'd prefer this for taking account value for money.

https://www.bankslyon.co.uk/iwc-port...watch-iw371446
    Thanks for the link, that is also a very nice watch, and considerably cheaper. However, it has no date (I already have a chrono with no date, and really miss not having that feature), and I am not keen on how the registers cut into the 12 and 6: the IW390302 avoids that problem because it does not have any 12 or 6 at all!

The more I look at it the more I want the IW390302...beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Apparently IWC only have one remaining of the IW390302; I am not sure if that is true, or just a ploy to get me to buy!

I can easily see why you prefer the 39-series over 37-series. There's a tidy used full-set on C24 in France for £5,500 (offer £5K) - even +30% for tax, duty etc, that seems a saner buy. Why buy new at ~£9K? May as well set fire to a pile of cash.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post
    I can easily see why you prefer the 39-series over 37-series. There's a tidy used full-set on C24 in France for £5,500 (offer £5K) - even +30% for tax, duty etc, that seems a saner buy. Why buy new at ~£9K? May as well set fire to a pile of cash.
    Thanks for the link! That listing was not showing in my C24 saved search.

Apprentice
    Love the watch!

Love this model, but I agree on pricing.
    Go second hand.
    I picked this one up for less than 9k (litteraly half price for a perfect example, box and paper and still under guarantee until 2027):

Craftsman
    A great picture, those numerals certainly stand out! How do you find the weight/bulk?