closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Cuban cigar for a complete novice - recommendations wanted.

Master

A Cuban cigar for a complete novice - recommendations wanted.

Later this year I turn 30, and I've decided that to celebrate I'd quite like to do something I've never done before, something a bit reckless, and (attempt to) smoke a Cuban cigar. I should say at this point that I don't smoke, I've never smoked, and I have no intention to let cigar smoking become a regular habit, considering the prices of them. All the same, I would like to do it just the once, even if only to be able to say that I have. I know there are plenty of cigar smokers on the forum, and so I thought I'd ask for some recommendations. I suppose I could probably grab a cheap thing from a supermarket for a few pounds, but given this is a special one-off event I'd quite like the cigar to be of a certain quality. So preferably Cuban and, feeling extravagant, I'd set a £20 max budget. What can you all recommend?

If this is really meant to be a one-off thing, then I’d suggest there’s no need to try and find any splendid nuances from an obscure micro manufacturer. Just go for one of the big names. My first suggestion would be the gold standard, Cohiba robusto. That might be a bit over your budget though. Second suggestion would be a Romeo y Julieta churchill. One of the most iconic cigars around and I believe it can be bought pretty close to £20. Third suggestion would be a Montecristo nr. 4. I believe it’s the most sold Cuban cigar in the world.

I think all of them are very good cigars and the only problem with them is that they are ”common” and a bit unimaginative. Everyone who reads about Cuban cigars for 15 minutes will stumble into those names. In your situation I would think it’s a bonus that the one cigar is very well known. If you’re not into watches but would like to buy one nice watch, might as well be the Rolex sub. Wouldn’t make sense to buy a Ressence as your only watch.

Disclaimer: it’s been about ten years since I actively smoked cigars and I haven’t had puff of anything in six years. My idea of pricing came from two minutes worth of googling so it may be really off.

I was going to reply to the OP with almost exactly the same advice.

Keep it simple (big name brands), err on the smaller side - you might not get full value out of a cigar designed to smoke for an hour or more! Especially if you're not a smoker!

Do a YouTube search for advice on how to cut it - a good tobacconist will sell you a cheap bypass cutter for a bigger cigar, or even cut it for you! (Don't be embarrassed asking.)

Take your time light with a match or two, and don't take the smoke all the way down! Make a ritual of it - sit somewhere outside in the evening, have a drink to hand, maybe a book. Watch the smoke curl.

Then don't do it again!

(Slightly more negative answer. Give it a go, if you like, but don't make a habit of it. Cigar smoking is one of those odd bits of performative masculinity that say a lot about the smoker, but probably not what the smoker is hoping to say! It's an odd bit of playing at being grown-up, coupled with the inevitable GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) associated with all (especially) male hobbies - photography, cycling, watches. You get the cigars. THe cutter. The lighters. The humidor, etc.
    And I speak as an ex-cigar smoker! It was part of the role I placed when I played poker seriously!
    Have fun, report back, but don't make it a habit!)

Youtube was a good shout. Get plenty of tips for the technique. Not just the cutting but smoking also. It’s very easy to ruin a cigar by overdrawing. It’ll start to burn too hot and the acrid hot smoke will contaminate anything that’s left.

If you dont smoke and have never smoked I would wager a high % chance of you turning avocado green and ending up being sick. Do you know anyone who smokes cigars - diving in to a whole one would be too much is my guess.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    If you dont smoke and have never smoked I would wager a high % chance of you turning avocado green and ending up being sick. Do you know anyone who smokes cigars - diving in to a whole one would be too much is my guess.
    Agree with this. But to each their own.

Master
    I recently embarked on a cigar tasting spree after being sucked in by youtube and all the pompous bell ends on there talking these things up. So far from below the Hoyo de monterrey has been my favourite and would recommend for someone new like me.

Davidoff no2 x 3
    Hoyo de monterrey epicure no 2 x 5
    Camacho x 1
    Gurkha royal x 1
    Davidoff Winston Churchill x 1

Now for this reckless thing you want to do? what do you have in mind

Blog Entries
    I was visiting the Cohiba factory in Havana many years ago and the smell just got to me so i walked outside sat down and lit a Marlboro personally never got on with cigars even back when i was a heavy smoker.
    But listen to the advice and buy quality.If you are a smoker of cigarettes now smoking a cigar is a different proposition.
    Last edited by mart broad; 10th March 2021 at 10:26.
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

I smoke about eight to fifteen cigars a year. I do sometimes find that the odd stronger one can catch me out and I end up feeling a bit woozy. It’s likely that its a combination of the nicotine and dehydration from exercise.

If you've never smoked one before, then a Monte 4 might be perfect. Not too strong and you'll appreciate some of the flavours more than you would say a CoRo or equivalent stronger blend.

I'm fairly new to the world of cigars, i've never fully got on with the Cuban's.

But I have really enjoyed Joya de Nicaragua's line up. They are a fantastic company and have a really small but artisanal operation.

A few i'd recommend for a newbie from the ones i've tried.

The Rosalones 446 is a really nice starter, spicy, hints of coffee, sweet edge, gives off a nice smoke and lasts around an hour.

Rosalones 342 is similar to the 446 but more delicate and lasts around 30 minutes.

The Joya de Nicaragua Red Robusto is a great all rounder, easy to smoke, nice flavours and my go to cigar.

Master
    If you smoke a cigar, you can kiss goodbye to having sex for the next 24 hours. You will reek like an old ash tray.

PM me your address and your birthdate and I'll send you something suitable for your 30th birthday from one of my himidors nearer the time

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi View Post
    PM me your address and your birthdate and I'll send you something suitable for your 30th birthday from one of my himidors nearer the time
    Very nice gesture

Master
    On the subject of cigars, I have a pack of 4 that were unopened until today, ( to have a closer look ), they've been sat in a drawer for many years since being purchased when on holiday to Cuba.
    I gave up smoking many years ago and basically just never fancied opening them up to try.
    Will they still be any good? not even sure which ones they are, they are 7" long and have a ring size of 47, ( I know this is measured in 64ths so I done man maths, lol. ).
    I'll add a couple of pics to show what they look like.

Last edited by Weirdfish; 10th March 2021 at 17:00.

Having inherited a humidor a few years back with some Cubans which were probably past there best, I decided to treat myself to a Romeo y Juliet Churchill the other day. Can’t say I enjoyed it to be fair. Think il go back to the mild to medium as I seem to really enjoy the time taken to sit and ponder and enjoy the smoke. The fuller flavours aren’t working well for me...yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdfish View Post
    Will they still be any good? not even sure which ones they are, they are 7" long and have a ring size of 47, ( I know this is measured in 64ths so I done man maths, lol. ).
    They might need some time in a humidor - you can make your own, if you like? Especially short term. Big Tupperware, into that put the cigars and a small Tupperware with some water in it, and some holes popped in the lid. Somehting like that? A month should bring them back to smokable condition.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ade+tupperdore

Master
    Thanks everyone for chipping in. Looks like a Monte Cristo 4 is the way to go. I see various comments about keeping it a one-off thing. Don't worry, in my circumstances, cigar smoking as a hobby would be a habit severely damaging to my wealth. And as for the thought that it might impact my sex life, that's also not a problem - it's non-existent anyway.

Master
    YHPM.

Master
    On the subject of cigars, I have a pack of 4 that were unopened until today, ( to have a closer look ), they've been sat in a drawer for many years since being purchased when on holiday to Cuba.
    I gave up smoking many years ago and basically just never fancied opening them up to try.

I’ve not seen any packaged like that before. Did you buy from a shop? They look like Esplendidos, a lovely smoke but prefer my CoRo as don’t need quite as much time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me your address and your birthdate, bank account details and passwords and I'll send you something suitable for your 30th birthday from one of my himidors nearer the time
    FTFY.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I’ve not seen any packaged like that before. Did you buy from a shop? They look like Esplendidos, a lovely smoke but prefer my CoRo as don’t need quite as much time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Purchased from our tour of the factory where they were making them

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    FTFY.

No payment required. I realise it may be a strange concept to some, but the offer was made without any agenda. I'd simply had a good day and was in a position to help someone out.

Has this place changed so much since I used to post here? It used to be that members helped each other out.

Toshi, I think that was a joke about the fact that you'd have the OP's DOB, and if you also had the other info, then all kinds of fraud would ensue. I'm sure it was a joke - your offer is very kind.

No payment required. I realise it may be a strange concept to some, but the offer was made without any agenda. I'd simply had a good day and was in a position to help someone out.

Has this place changed so much since I used to post here? It used to be that members helped each other out.
    Genuinely sorry if I've caused any offence, it really was meant in jest.

Take care and have a good day, and once again - sorry.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Genuinely sorry if I've caused any offence, it really was meant in jest.

Take care and have a good day, and once again - sorry.
    My apologies - I misunderstood

What I did many moons ago.

If they’ve been in a drawer for years, they’re likely to have lost all of their oils and not even a lengthy spell in a humidor would rehabilitate them. It would be like smoking cardboard. Also, judging by the printing on the bands, these cigars don’t appear to be genuine Cohibas. If you buy anywhere outside of a La Casa del Habano in Cuba, the cigars will 100% be fakes.

Master
    A small suggestion ; cohiba cigarillos.

Fairly inexpensive . Smoking one won’t be too difficult and should give you an indication of how you’ll cope with something larger . You’ll also have multiples to try and decude over a longer time.

I usually buy myself a oack of 10 every three months and its enough of a treat for me not to feel the need for more or feel too guilty .

Also good for nipping out for 10 minutes , lets face it smoking a cigar is best in the open air with a glass of single malt .

A Cuban cigar for a complete novice - recommendations wanted.

I presume you don’t inhale cigars?

But if you do, I am guessing that wouldn’t work out well for a newbie who has never smoked a fag in their life.

I suppose I should know the answer, but having never smoked before, I don’t.

Craftsman
    Seems like your cigar choice might have been solved but if you end up buying I'd add another vote for Romeo y Juilietta.

Good quality cigars, consistent and interesting flavour - but beginner friendly.

I'd say go Corona size over Churchill: more sub than Sea Dweller, more comfortable for a beginner.

(If we're going for the watch analogy Omega is probably closer to Romeo y Juilietta, so Seamaster vs Aqua Terra?!)

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app