closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: PRS-30

Quote Originally Posted by teadazed View Post
    You can get a decent alternative strap for £20 or so so the length of the supplied straps really shouldn't be a barrier for what is a great watch.
    Whilst I agree, it's such a nice strap to let go to waste.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanST150 View Post
    Whilst I agree, it's such a nice strap to let go to waste.
    If the strap had fitted you, it would gone to waste for me. With straps, there is no 'one size fits all'.

Solved the problem! I got another hole punched through the strap and it fits perfect now on my girly 7.5" wrist.

The buckle is at the side of my wrist but all the extra is in the middle of my wrist and I am happy with it now.

UPS has finally quit dodging me and my PRS-30 is now on my wrist! Kudos to Eddie (and Chris) on an absolutely class package. This watch is so solid and so very comfortable. Mine arrived on brown, which compliments it well. Photos fail to adequately capture the brown-ness of the dial, especially when viewed from an angle. It is an original. It is just right! I can't wait for the patina to develop....

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    If the strap had fitted you, it would gone to waste for me. With straps, there is no 'one size fits all'.
    That's a fair comment.

P.S. The strap does fit me (just). I wanted my friend to be the proud owner of such a good looking watch, with a strap that suits it perfectly.

Craftsman
    Dispatched!
    First TF, first bronze and first ETA auto.

Any black strap recommendations for a <7" wrist? Anything similar to what is supplied would be good. Preferably on the cheaper side as I am hoping Eddie will stock shorter versions of these at some point.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Dispatched!
    First TF, first bronze and first ETA auto.

Any black strap recommendations for a <7" wrist? Anything similar to what is supplied would be good. Preferably on the cheaper side as I am hoping Eddie will stock shorter versions of these at some point.
    Hirsch Liberty. Available from many internet sources (bu likely not from your local watch shop). Do a Google search. The Hirsch liberty comes with a stainles steen buckle with a narrow tang, fitting the small holes. However, when you have found which hole(s) you will use, you can manage to sqeeze in the bronze buckle from the original strap in place of the steel one and widen the used hole(s) to fit the broader tang. (I tried it with a Hirsch Liberty I had lying around and it works).
    Last edited by Leif; 20th August 2013 at 10:54.

Craftsman
    Hirsch liberty has small, round holes that likely will not fit the bronze buckle.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    Hirsch liberty has small, round holes that likely will not fit the bronze buckle.
    Yep, but it can be worked around - se my edited post above.

Craftsman
    I see.

Master
    What was the booklet like that went off to be printed (rather that a tri-fold) sheet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    What was the booklet like that went off to be printed (rather that a tri-fold) sheet?
    You can see it in one of my earlier posts. Pic posted again for ease. The booklet is nice, it's certainly a lot better than the folded piece of A4. It adds to the overall feel of quality of the package.

Happy to post more pics of it once I'm home if you like?

Master
    Thanks for the reply Sean. Hope you are enjoying the watch.

Craftsman
    Ordered mine on Tuesday morning and it was hidden in our garden in rural Southern Germany by UPS on Wednesday afternoon when I got home from work.
    What can I say, all pictures that I have seen so far, are great, but in real life the watch is even more amazing.
    The "mink" dial is sometimes slate grey, sometimes black or brown and sometimes with a hue of purple.
    The domed crystal is a joy to look at from the side and if a famous gladiator of the Roman Empire would have selected a watch, this would be it ;-)

I have an 8 inch wrist and I first wore it on the fourth smallest, now on the third smallest hole (not pretty pics, just another 8 in wrist shot, to get Eddies hairy arm out of my head :-)

Last edited by bmwrover; 22nd August 2013 at 07:57.

Congratulations, that look great. Like you say, pics don't do it justice.
    Enjoy.

Craftsman
    So frustrating, mine is sitting in "the presents cupboard" until my birthday, on orders from SWMBO. At least it gives me time to wait for the two 120/70 straps to arrive from America.

Anyone speeded up the patina process on their PRS-30 yet? I had a go on the Maranez brass I had and was quite happy with the results, although I removed it before I sold it on. I think it suits certain bronze divers but not sure if it would on a smarter looking watch like this...
    Pics please.

Quote Originally Posted by bigvic View Post
    Anyone speeded up the patina process on their PRS-30 yet? I had a go on the Maranez brass I had and was quite happy with the results, although I removed it before I sold it on. I think it suits certain bronze divers but not sure if it would on a smarter looking watch like this...
    Pics please.
    I've contemplated getting some liver of sulphur and giving it go. How did you go about it?

The watch head patinates nicely and quickly with liver of sulphur but the buckle doesn't because it was passivated. The buckle will patinate but at a much slower rate. I didn't know they routinely passivated bronze items to slow down patination or I would have asked them not to.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    You'll have it for years. I'm just going to let it happen.

I'll post pics of the accelerated process later today. LoS worked a treat on the watch head. Just a quick dip to kick start the process.

I've tried a variety of processes on the buckle too and will post a pic of it's current state. It does not react the same as the head tho'.
    Gray

I've just ordered some "Sulfur Soap" off eBay, that's supposed to work well with a sponge down.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Ok. Head results first - the buckle was done at the same time but it had no impact. A cold solution of Liver of Sulfur dipped for no more than 30 seconds. There is more to the process so do a bit of research:

The buckle has had cold LoS/Hot LoS/Neat LoS/Egg treatment a light rebrushing then more treatments. Then news of passivation so a full wet and dry refinish - removing the logo and then some. Then cold LoS/Hot LoS/Neat LoS and still not much change, so then a heat treatment - blowtorched to red hot three or four times finished off with hot LoS and then neat LoS. It's now a bit duller. Be careful with heat treatment, it shrunk the buckle a little and the screw head now sticks out a bit.

The penny is one of several used to test that the LoS is active and it turns black in less than 10 seconds - I use a strong solution.

If a bit of sulpur soap works I'll be amazed. However the buckle differs from the head it's a stubborn bustard.

Gray

It looks good but I'm hoping to live long enough for it to happen naturally - and keep the P logo on the buckle. Better watch out for that bus that's bearing down on me!

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    I've contemplated getting some liver of sulphur and giving it go. How did you go about it?
    Hard boiled egg's! I didn't take pics unfortunately, the result was pretty good and I made an egg mayonnaise sandwich for my lunch too. Result!

Craftsman
    I let the time do the work, but great efforts and pictures from Gray, thanks for sharing.
    What is great news is the fact that the crown reacts just as the case, perfect match.
    A stainless or titanium crown on a bronze watch like so many others do, does not compare to Timefactors strive for the perfection bronze watch.

Craftsman
    Treating watches with hard boiled eggs and sulphur soap! Now, that really proves that being a WIS is a serious mental desease. Don't ever tell anyone outside these cirkles or they'll have us all locked up. :eek:

BTW, wasn't sulphur sope something we used against acne when we were teenagers?

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    It looks good but I'm hoping to live long enough for it to happen naturally - and keep the P logo on the buckle. Better watch out for that bus that's bearing down on me!
    During the dialogue with Eddie on the differing reaction of the buckle, and inbetween processes, he offered to replace it once a... errrr... less invasive method was identified. I would now describe the test buckle as having the patina of a knackered house key
    Gray

Mine has already started to darken and patinate. I'm just going to let it happen naturally and enjoy watching the change.

Master
    Mine is noticeably darker than when it arrived, ageing nicely.
    It's going to be a long while before it is finished.

Craftsman
    I think it had been mentioned before, it also depends on the skin/sweat agressiveness of the person who wears the watch on how quick it patinates.
    I dont takes watches off while sleeping so that is another 8 hours towards the process.
    The inside of the buckle that touches the skin is already quite dark as well.

Craftsman
    85 has arrived!
    Perfect size, amazingly comfortable on the wrist and looks just as good as expected :D

Just got to source a strap that fits now.

I thought I'd boil an egg again......

Before :

.... and after 5mins in a bag with the egg :

Last edited by bigvic; 23rd August 2013 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    Just got to source a strap that fits now.
    I got another hole punched thru the strap, just needed the one. Fits perfectly now.

Master
    Natural ageing for mine, with a little help from the sea and the sea air.

Apprentice
    Very nice!

I prefer the natural ageing but the accelerated ageing doesn't look bad.

Eddie

That looks good. Have you done a bit of polishing to the lugs there Alphajet?

Craftsman
    I might get a hole punched but it does push the buckle round a bit far which makes it a tad uncomfortable.

Mine is in the middle hole. Just for once I don't need to buy a new, longer strap. Looks great.

1 extra hole = 5mm on mine and I did not notice the difference.

The buckle and the extra strap and the leather keeper are all bang in the middle of my wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    That looks good. Have you done a bit of polishing to the lugs there Alphajet?
    Yes just a quick rub over with a Cape Cod cloth, this is going to be the look for me and will look better as the rest of the case darkens.

This looks to be right on my monitor for the colour of the dial but what this picture shows very well (an accident) is the sandwich dial.

Eddie

Master
    So is the patina meant to eventually be the same colour as the dial, or is this a happy coincidence? Looks great by the way.

On my laptop that's good match to the dial under electric light but in most daylight conditions I see more of a hint of chocolate. Patina on the case and strap choice seem to influence the way the dial looks too. It certainly shows the sandwich well, and the contrast of the dial with the hands. In a lot of light conditions I find the overall combination kind of smokey - verging on the stealthy
    Last edited by gray; 24th August 2013 at 20:46.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    This looks to be right on my monitor for the colour of the dial but what this picture shows very well (an accident) is the sandwich dial.

Eddie

Strewth Eddie! Much darker and you might as well made a PVD version!

...Now there's an idea.

Just out of interest, how's everyone finding the timekeeping on theirs and what should I be expecting?
    Last edited by davida; 25th August 2013 at 17:34. Reason: Spelling

Excellent on mine, gains a few seconds a day which is fine for me.

I have just re-set it at 17.00 so I'll check it in a day or so....

Just checked and it's gained 5 seconds in 4 days. Not too shabby!

Master
    Mine is running around +5 secs per day, very happy with that.