closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: PRS-30

Mine's running around +13 secs/day.

Craftsman
    Set mine on Wednesday and it's still on the minute that's fine enough for me

Master
    Mine is running about +9 seconds a day.

Journeyman
    Just got mine. Much nicer in the flesh indeed !
    The etched bezel is flater than I thought.
    Watch wears much smaller than my radiomir/italian.

Saw mine today. Wonderfull. Congratulations to Eddie and Chris.

I keep on wondering how much would this watch cost if it had been done by any other independent watchmaker.....

The only time I've changed the time since I got the watch when I put it on to wear and noticed it was 2 minutes ahead of my AT8500. But little did I realise the At had just stopped.

In short the time keeping is good enough for me, less than 10 seconds a day gained.

Craftsman
    +4 sec/day

Master

:)

I could resist no longer, the 30 is winging it's way toward me.
    My wife took the news surprisingly well - but she doesn't know the price yet :o
    if money was no object I'd be getting another 4 of Eddie's PRSs - but having 3 kids has damaged my disposable income :D
    I wish the CAF had been available 6 years ago for one.

Journeyman
    Well I'm just back from holiday, and placed my PRS-30 order about 5 minutes ago.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    The watch head patinates nicely and quickly with liver of sulphur but the buckle doesn't because it was passivated. The buckle will patinate but at a much slower rate. I didn't know they routinely passivated bronze items to slow down patination or I would have asked them not to.

Eddie
    I don't know about using liver of sulphur and don't intend to try it due to the reportedly horrible smell. FWIW, the strap buckle on my sample has darkened visibly and nicely after only 1½ week out in the air/on the arm. But maybe that's due to my bad breath. :-)

Craftsman
    I second that...the buckle ages very nicely as well and is on par with the watch.

My buckle is almost black on the underside.

Craftsman

Smile

This talk about our bronze watches getting darker brings back memories from my youth when it was not political incorrect to smoke. I bought a brand new white meerschaum pipe and found a quiet joy in watching it getting darker and darker as time passed. Mine ended up black on the stem and a nice warm light brown colour on the head. By now, it's 27 years since I quit smoking but I still can't bring myself to throw out that pipe. There's something about things which have my own personal patina on it.

Nowadays, it's not comme il faut to smoke, not even meerschaum pipes. Luckily we got bronze watches instead. :-)
    Last edited by Leif; 30th August 2013 at 22:12.

Journeyman
    What can I say, I’m impatient.

Thursday.
    My PRS 30 arrived looking all new and shiny.
    (Yes I know the photographs are poor, I'll try to do better next time)

My first sandwich dial, and I love it.

Friday.
    With the assistance of Liver of sulphur, the PRS-30 now looking a lot darker.

I wish I had the patience to allow the patina to evolve naturally, but I don't. At some point, I may remove the finish and let the case age naturally.

Sadly, with my skinny wrists I need to fit a shorter strap, an old Glycine will have to do for the moment.

I like the way the hour hand does not obscure the minute hand.

and here is a side by side of the PRS-30 with my Anonimo.

The PRS-30 is a terrific watch, I can see it getting a lot of wrist time, I just need to find the perfect strap.

I have only had the watch for two days, but a quick check on accuracy, is showing +10s/24Hr

My thanks and congratulations go to Eddie, for producing another terrific watch, that punches way above its weight.

^
    That looks great.
    I've ordered quite a few new straps for mine from various makers.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    ^
    That looks great.
    I've ordered quite a few new straps for mine from various makers.
    Let us know which ones you'd recommend to others.
    I've still yet to get one.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamakazie! View Post
    +1, with photo's if possible.

I have straps on order from steveostraps, stachstraps and this forums very own Pavel so will post pics when they arrive (2 weeks). This should be here on Monday http://www.waccex.de/shop/BOB-WATCH-...-mm::1256.html

Quote Originally Posted by 996 View Post
    What can I say, I’m impatient.

Thursday.
    My PRS 30 arrived looking all new and shiny.
    (Yes I know the photographs are poor, I'll try to do better next time)

My first sandwich dial, and I love it.

Friday.
    With the assistance of Liver of sulphur, the PRS-30 now looking a lot darker.

I wish I had the patience to allow the patina to evolve naturally, but I don't. At some point, I may remove the finish and let the case age naturally.

Sadly, with my skinny wrists I need to fit a shorter strap, an old Glycine will have to do for the moment.

and here is a side by side of the PRS-30 with my Anonimo.

The PRS-30 is a terrific watch, I can see it getting a lot of wrist time, I just need to find the perfect strap.

I have only had the watch for two days, but a quick check on accuracy, is showing +10s/24Hr

My thanks and congratulations go to Eddie, for producing another terrific watch, that punches way above its weight.
    Mine's a shade darker than that now - kick started with a bit of LoS then regular sea air/water exposure.

How did you get on with the buckle?
    Gray

Master

.................................................. .................................................. ..........
    Great pictorial and pictures, 996.

On one of the very good points you make as to the near uniquely styled skeletonized hands of the PRS-30 nicely never obscuring each other when they align, though, wouldn't it technically be the vise versa of stated above as the minute hand seats above and over the hour hand in its placement on the movement's center shaft ? [In other words, if the minute hand was not skeletonized like that it would obscure or eclipse the view of the hour hand when in alignment with it, as is the case with most watches]

Still, that is a very good characteristic of the PRS-30 you bring up and one I certainly had not realized until you pointed it out. Thanks

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gray View Post
    Mine's a shade darker than that now - kick started with a bit of LoS then regular sea air/water exposure.

How did you get on with the buckle?
    If you look at the side by side picture with the Anonimo, you can just make out the colour of the buckle, it is now a deep gold colour, with some variation in tone across the buckle, rather than the “Brown” of the watch head.

I believe there may be a coating on the buckle intended to slow the oxidisation process. The buckle was in the Liver of sulphur solution for minutes; much longer than the watch head, which was in the solution for seconds. I think I’m going to leave the buckle as is for a few weeks, then decide if it would benefit from another dip.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    Great pictorial and pictures, 996.

On one of the very good points you make as to the near uniquely styled skeletonized hands of the PRS-30 nicely never obscuring each other when they align, though, wouldn't it technically be the vise versa of stated above as the minute hand seats above and over the hour hand in its placement on the movement's center shaft ? [In other words, if the minute hand was not skeletonized like that it would obscure or eclipse the view of the hour hand when in alignment with it, as is the case with most watches]

Still, that is a very good characteristic of the PRS-30 you bring up and one I certainly had not realized until you pointed it out. Thanks
    Ha, you are of course, absolutely right. I really should read my posts before submitting them.

I got a rhino that I brought for another watch but I don't think it suits the PRS30, and there's to much copper in the rings too.

But it's been on a distressed brown leather that I had specially made by Joe from Diaboliq straps since it arrived. I absolutely love it on this!

Incidentally I gave the case a once over with a Cape Cod today rather than Brasso (or toothpaste!) and I think I prefer the result, it doesn't completely remove all the patina.

By the way my Missus has today sussed out why I put Brasso on the shopping list a few weeks ago! I'm having to take her out for a curry tonight as a forfeit... (result!)
    Last edited by bigvic; 3rd September 2013 at 10:58.

If you look at the side by side picture with the Anonimo, you can just make out the colour of the buckle, it is now a deep gold colour, with some variation in tone across the buckle, rather than the “Brown” of the watch head.

I believe there may be a coating on the buckle intended to slow the oxidisation process. The buckle was in the Liver of sulphur solution for minutes; much longer than the watch head, which was in the solution for seconds. I think I’m going to leave the buckle as is for a few weeks, then decide if it would benefit from another dip.
    If you scroll further up the thread you'll see how I got on with mine - post 878. All performed in dialogue with Eddie who kindly replaced the "test" buckle. The result being that the buckle was, during manufacture and unrequested, put through a passivation process which protects it from oxidisation. Removing a metal layer with wet and dry and also blow torching has had a noticable impact on colour and tone - still not like the head though and noticably fugged - hence the replacement.

To save you scrolling:

Ok. Head results first - the buckle was done at the same time but it had no impact. A cold solution of Liver of Sulfur dipped for no more than 30 seconds. There is more to the process so do a bit of research:

The buckle has had cold LoS/Hot LoS/Neat LoS/Egg treatment a light rebrushing then more treatments. Then news of passivation so a full wet and dry refinish - removing the logo and then some. Then cold LoS/Hot LoS/Neat LoS and still not much change, so then a heat treatment - blowtorched to red hot three or four times finished off with hot LoS and then neat LoS. It's now a bit duller. Be careful with heat treatment, it shrunk the buckle a little and the screw head now sticks out a bit.

The penny is one of several used to test that the LoS is active and it turns black in less than 10 seconds - I use a strong solution.

If a bit of sulpur soap works I'll be amazed. However the buckle differs from the head it's a stubborn bustard.

Gray

Journeyman
    ^ Thanks for the information. I had considered using an abrasive such as T-cut prior to a dip in LoS, I'm not sure how successful that will be in light of your own efforts.

Craftsman
    Could someone tell me the width of the Tang please?
    I need to spec it for a strap order.

Thanks!

Craftsman
    Could someone tell me the width of the Tang please?
    I need to spec it for a strap order.

Thanks!
    4mm.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    4mm.
    Thanks!
    Steveostrap ordered :¬)

Craftsman
    My new 40th birthday present today, on a "Panerai-type" strap from Strapped for Time. My wrists are too thin for the otherwise beautiful included straps.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    My new 40th birthday present
    Happy birthday Michael, hope it was worth the wait.

Craftsman
    Thanks Chris. I was also quite chuffed that I got 007.

Craftsman

Watch and buckle on par aging naturally:

Last edited by bmwrover; 6th September 2013 at 13:30. Reason: added the second picture

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrover View Post
    Watch and buckle on par aging naturally:
    Same here. Mine has patinated nicely just like yours in less than two weeks - both watch head and buckle - so I see no reason going through the agony of the reportedly horrible smell of LOS to speed up the process. BTW, I cleaned our roof gutters this morning. Maybe I should have bathed the watch for a while in bucket with the stinking mud I dug out. ;-)

As for the aluminium bronze alloy used for this watch, it is harder than the ordinary tin bronze which most other watchmakers use. I read somewhere that it can be harder than steel (will no doubt depend on the excact composition of the alloy).

The key difference between time aged and accelerated aging seems to be in the deposition of the oxidisation. The accelerated aging is especially strong in cracks and crevices while the waiting game results in hardly any oxidisation in the creases - a simple tell, at least in the first few weeks/months. I guess this is mostly down to the oils and salts from hands/fingers/wrists being worked across the accessible surface areas and that triggering the oxidisation reaction.
    Gray

I'm contemplating one of these watches but have a couple of questions about the crown.

In photos it looks to be polished - is this correct? I suppose eventually it will oxidise and be less shiny anyway.

What do owners think about the shape of the crown. Such a taper seems very unusual (is it based on another design?) and perhaps awkward to grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'm contemplating one of these watches but have a couple of questions about the crown.

In photos it looks to be polished - is this correct? I suppose eventually it will oxidise and be less shiny anyway.

What do owners think about the shape of the crown. Such a taper seems very unusual (is it based on another design?) and perhaps awkward to grip?
    The crown ages exactly the same as the case - it's the same material. The shape is unique and I reckon it's taper is one of it's strong points - making it less likely to suffer from knocks and being caught as things "slip" off rather than get a grip. If you are a nail biter you might find it fiddly to extend the crown but I am not and don't.
    Gray

The crown ages exactly the same as the case - it's the same material. The shape is unique and I reckon it's taper is one of it's strong points - making it less likely to suffer from knocks and being caught as things "slip" off rather than get a grip. If you are a nail biter you might find it fiddly to extend the crown but I am not and don't.
    Thanks.

Realize crown is same material but in Timefactors pics (rather than photos in this thread) does look very shiny when new.

Eddie
    I'm sorry for my extreme laziness at not reading the 950-odd posts in this thread, but is there a brief summary of how the design came about?

I ask as when I saw this design both in this thread and in the shop I thought it was gorgeous and something I'd like to buy, but then the version that's actually on sale doesn't quite do it for me. I'm wondering why the swan has become a duckling.

I'm sure others see it exactly the other way round though :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I'm sorry for my extreme laziness at not reading the 950-odd posts in this thread, but is there a brief summary of how the design came about?
    Try Here

Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Try Here
    Well, it was looking at that and thinking that I liked the gorgeous one on the left but didn't like the bronze one on the right that lead me to this thread.

I'm sure many people love it, but I wonder if the choice of bronze will limit the market.

Bronze was chosen because there were not many around when the project started but in the years this took a few others have come to market. Your only other option is to get the case and crown rhodium plated if somebody is willing to do it.

Craftsman
    Thanks.

Realize crown is same material but in Timefactors pics (rather than photos in this thread) does look very shiny when new.
    Yes very shiney but now after a few days same patina no worries it all matches very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Well, it was looking at that and thinking that I liked the gorgeous one on the left but didn't like the bronze one on the right that lead me to this thread.

I'm sure many people love it, but I wonder if the choice of bronze will limit the market.
    Bronze was chosen because of uniqueness, back when the original concept was developed (2008). At the time the Anomimo Polluce was the only other watch of this style on the market, where as there are plenty of Stainless Steel options.

Limiting the market isn't too much of a concern as it's production is limited to 300 max.

A limited edition that I think will be sought after in years to come.

I wonder how may are left?

PS.... has anyone dropped it in some Coke yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    My new 40th birthday present today, on a "Panerai-type" strap from Strapped for Time. My wrists are too thin for the otherwise beautiful included straps.

That's a cracking watch, wouldn't mind one of those myself

Master
    I'm contemplating ........ about the shape of the crown. Such a taper seems very unusual (is it based on another design?) and perhaps awkward to grip?
    The crown .......... shape is unique and I reckon it's taper is one of it's strong points - making it less likely to suffer from knocks and being caught as things "slip" off rather than get a grip. If you are a nail biter you might find it fiddly to extend the crown but I am not and don't.
    Great point. That’s the same reason I have for never liking "onion" or "diamond" pattern crowns if of the plain push/pull type because their aesthetically inspired shape does make them so prone to inadvertently getting pulled, yanked, caught, or knocked out to the set position. I imagine that even screw-down crowns having the same impact attracting onion/diamond shapes are more vulnerable to knocks, etc., putting, or perhaps better said, focusing, stress on the crown tube at its juncture with the case and its secure fit to it, especially if the crown tube is of the most common press-fit type.

In that sense I think the shape of the PRS-30's crown has been very well chosen and I like the way it looks also, especially considering that its form so nicely follows function
    Last edited by Rollon; 7th September 2013 at 18:34.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Looks like the ammonia bath made quite a difference!
    Gray

Last edited by chrisparker; 12th September 2013 at 11:11.

Master

Eddie
    Eddie where could a mere commoner get that done?