closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: PRS-30

Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post

Eddie where could a mere commoner get that done?

Attachment 4602

Tepco's Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant's unit 3 reactor after the March 2011 meltdowns

Eddie where could a mere commoner get that done?
    I used some Stardrops ammonia cleaner and sulphur soap from eBay.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Those of you wanting to try different straps may have experienced how difficult it is to get hold of bronze buckles. If the strap is tapering to 22mm, one can use the buckle which came with the watch. But with 24mm parallel straps, a 24mm bronze buckle is nice - a SS doesn't look good against the bronze of the watch head. There are not many around. DiStefano has one - very expensive - but in 24mm size it is too big and bulky and looks out of proportion with the not so high 42mm watch head. Actually, with a 24mm parallel strap on this watch, I prefer a thinner strap (arund 3-3˝mm thick) and a thumbnail buckle instead of a Pre-V, so the strap-buckle combo won't overpower the watch head in a disproportional manner. But 24mm bronze/brass thumbnail buckles are NOT plentiful out there. The only one I was able to locate was sold by a vendor who has a reputation of non delivery.

So what to do?

I then remembered that earlier I read that another forum member (sorry, can't remember who, but he deserves to be credited) had made an approximation to bronze by heating a SS buckle with a blow torch. I dug out an old SS thumbnail buckle, took it out in the garden and heated it with the torch we normally use for making creme brulee. It worked. The colour is not exactly the same as bronze, but it will more than do in a pinch and it's much better than SS colour. Think of dirty brass with a reddish tint. Just remember to heat carefully and slowly and stop when the metal is dark brazzy looking. If you continue to heat, the metal will turn blue in no time. Actually, I learned that the hard way, so I only got it right with the second buckle. But oh well, SS buckles are cheap and easy to get.

A quick and dirty phone picture:

Last edited by Leif; 12th September 2013 at 11:25.

Master
    Joe at Diaboliq Straps also supplies a flame blasted ss strap, it's $20. I'm going to be fitting mine out with one on a distressed brown strap.
    Last edited by Schofie; 12th September 2013 at 11:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    The colour is not exactly the same as bronze, but it will more than do in a pinch and it's much better than SS colour. Think of dirty brass with a reddish tint. Just remember to heat carefully and slowly and stop when the metal is dark brazzy looking.

Any pictures to share?! Sounds interesting...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCD View Post
    Any pictures to share?! Sounds interesting...
    I have now added a photo to my original post above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    A limited edition that I think will be sought after in years to come.

I wonder how may are left?
    Mine came today and is number 40. Not sure how many have been made?

Craftsman
    What screwdriver size is suggested for removing the buckle? 1mm be ok? I need to order one and would prefer it be useful for other stuff as well.

Cheers.

Craftsman
    2mm, or the smallest flat head from one of those cheap small screwdriver sets you can buy anywhere.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
    2mm, or the smallest flat head from one of those cheap small screwdriver sets you can buy anywhere.
    Thanks.
    I'm happy to buy a quality one if its reasonably widely useable. Would 2mm be mire practical than something a bit smaller that would still do the job?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve748 View Post
    Try Here
    I'm glad I clicked on that from some of the photo's I thought this must be 47mm without crown. I thought it would be far to big to consider.

Master

A patina confession

So here it is. I am the proud owner of one of these lovely watches and decided to allow it to patinate naturally. I did however read an earlier post in which Eddie said that sweat is one of the best patination agents.

Taking this insight, I returned from a rather intense 20 mile ride on Monday and promptly made my way upstairs as soon as I got in the house, where my wife was nursing our newborn daughter. I said the words 'don't judge me' to her then proceeded to smear my hard earned sweat all over the watch.

There are two things I would like to confirm:
    1. Sweat is indeed an excellent patination agent
    2. If you do choose this approach, do it in private. I was judged!

One member confided that he nursed a PRS-30 in his armpit for a couple of hours following physical activity.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    I have said it before and I say it again. Don't ever mention this kind of advice outside the WIS closed circles, or they'll have us admitted to a secure ward. :-)

Craftsman
    Finally started wearing this following arrival of a great Steveo strap and two separate orders of tools (ooops!)

Amazing watch all round. Very pleased I took the plunge as the size is spot on.

Some decent pics to follow in the next week or so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    One member confided that he nursed a PRS-30 in his armpit for a couple of hours following physical activity.

Eddie
    That makes me feel a little better about myself

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I have said it before and I say it again. Don't ever mention this kind of advice outside the WIS closed circles, or they'll have us admitted to a secure ward. :-)
    ROFL!

Master
    Folks, on a more serious note has anybody successfully had another hole put in the straps that come with the watch? My wrist is just one hole too small for them.

Folks, on a more serious note has anybody successfully had another hole put in the straps that come with the watch? My wrist is just one hole too small for them.
    Yes a local cobbler punched a hole in mine, not the neatest job but it works and it didn't cost anything.

I've ordered some shorter straps but they won't be available for about 8 weeks and will be supplied without buckle.

Eddie

Master
    I've ordered some shorter straps but they won't be available for about 8 weeks and will be supplied without buckle.

Eddie
    Good news!

Master

Eddie
    Brilliant. Will keep an eye on the forum. Thanks Eddie

Craftsman

Eddie
    Good news, may have to get a smaller brown to offer an alternative.

I have just received one of these today, and thought I'd show how the patina is developing naturally.

As some of you may know, I had this up for sale but have now withdrawn it. I have been wearing it for the last three days and I can't for the life of me think why I contemplated selling it.
    Sometimes things work out for the best.

Any photos of people watches all these years down the line?

Master
    Here's mine.

Quote Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
    Here's mine.

Looks brilliant. :)

Craftsman
    Had this for many years and still really like it, but does anyone else find it really difficult to get the crown out?

Schematics & images show a cut-out below the crown which mine has but it is covered when the crown is fully depressed meaning there is nowhere to stick my nail. I'm left trying to catch the edge of the raised knurls which is very hit & miss and I end up grabbing a different watch!
    It's easy once the crown is out enough to adjust the date but not when in fully.

Edit: Well I think I just needed a bit of practice. Not sure why I struggled for so long but got it sorted. Should get this on my wrist a lot more now.
    Last edited by Kamakazie!; 5th October 2020 at 17:31.